Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

• ° • ° • °

I woke with a strange sensation, as if gravity had abandoned my head. My eyelids fluttered open to a blanket of stars, my body cradled in warmth. The steady rhythm of footsteps beneath me made it clear-I was being carried. His arms were strong, protective, yet distant. It felt...unfamiliar.

"Sleep, Princess. No need to wake when you're already being taken care of." Lucas' voice was calm, but a hint of sarcasm laced his words.

Excuse me? What exactly had I done?

I shifted in his arms, the unease crawling under my skin. "And what is that supposed to mean?" My voice cut through the night as I wriggled free from his grasp. He set me down, caught off guard by my resistance.

"What's gotten into you?" I frowned, irritation rising. His expression was unreadable, but there was something beneath it-a storm, perhaps.

He ran a hand through his hair, eyes narrowing. "You couldn't even make it through a party without falling asleep outside with Brian? In the middle of everything? Do you have any idea how reckless that was?" His concern was palpable, but so was his condescension.

Reckless? I scoffed internally.

"Brian is your friend, and now mine too," I retorted, my voice sharper than intended. "I stepped out for some air, and maybe I was tired of smiling for your girlfriend." The last word dripped with venom.

Lucas' eyes flashed. "What are you talking about?"

Before he could defend himself, I snapped. "She thinks I'm your real wife who is in love with you while you use me. That I'm just another obstacle in her way. She can back off! I'm not even a threat to her grand ambitions." My voice rose, echoing in the dark as I turned away from him. "Tell her she can have you after the divorce!"

I didn't wait for his response. I stormed off, my heart racing with the fury that had been simmering for far too long.

Inside my room, I yelled for Mina. "Mina!" She rushed in, startled by my tone.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Call Charles," I said coldly, pacing.

Mina hesitated for a moment, confusion flickering across her face. "The assistant...?"

"Yes. The assistant my father practically sold to me," I bit out, my teeth clenched.

She scurried off, leaving me to simmer in the silence. I sank into the couch, gripping its armrests until my knuckles turned white. I was done being underestimated. In the world of the rich, it was survival of the fittest, and I was going to claw my way back to the top. No one would keep me down. Not Lucas, not his girlfriend, not my own father.

Charles arrived, his expression a mix of intrigue and amusement. He walked in as if he owned the place, but I could sense the wariness in his stance.

I met his gaze, cold and unyielding. "My father may have sold you to me, but I don't need slaves. I need loyalty. Can you be my greatest asset, Charles? Can you help me rise from the ashes and take what's mine?"

He smirked, leaning back with a confidence I wasn't sure was earned. "There's no way you're planning a comeback. Models your age don't sell. You've missed your window. And what's in it for me? What can you offer that I can't get somewhere else?" His arrogance grated on me.

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm not a product, Charles. I don't need your approval to succeed. Dark Rose will rise again, stronger than VN ever dreamed of being. But since you're so concerned about what's in it for you..." I stepped closer, my voice lowering to a dangerous whisper. "Name your price."

He laughed, shaking his head. "Your father gave me away without a second thought. How do I know you won't do the same?"

I smiled, though it didn't reach my eyes. "Because I'm not my father. He was a fool-throwing away his greatest assets in pursuit of temporary victories. But me?" I stepped even closer, my eyes locking onto his. "I play the long game. I value loyalty, and I never abandon my assets. The manpower is what counts in this world. Not fleeting wins."

Charles studied me for a long moment, his smirk fading. "And if I refuse?"

I held his gaze, unwavering. "Then you walk away, and you can watch from the sidelines as I rebuild an empire. Or you stand with me, and we both win."

Silence filled the space between us, thick with tension. Finally, his lips twitched into a grin.

"Alright," he said, his voice softer, less cocky. "Let's see what you're made of."

I nodded, feeling a surge of satisfaction. "Welcome to the future, Charles."

• ° • ° • °

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro