Chiều cao dòng

Collapse into me
Just once!

I promise you'll never
Have to
Fall
Again.

" High intensity care unit. Now!"

The same words boomed in two different theatres, on two different floors, by two different doctors.

The patients were pulled out, their monitors rolling with them, the nurse took the back doors for the critical patients while the doctors breathed out from the main doors. The awaiting families stood up seeing the doctors and rushed behind them.

" How's Saboohi?"

" How's Jahan?"

The elevator was pushed on and filled. Soon everyone was pacing through the unfamiliar hallways of the HICU. Jahan's family collided with Saboohi's and before the two groups could reconcile. A nurse rushed towards the impatient doctors.

" There's only one bed, sir. We can only accompany one patient."

The new words caused a rustling sensation all over.

" What?"

The doctors confirmed.

" I don't think there's even time for us to take them to another hospital."

Ali Alam Khan sneered as he looked at the doctors.

" We have only one bed, and both the patients are very critical. You guys will have to decide who to give the bed to for further treatment."

" Please fast."

The doctors spoke mostly giving their attention to Zaryaab. And the man tensed.

" Saboohi would want Jahan to be treated first."

Sukhaina spoke after a few seconds. And everyone in the room couldn't agree more. Alamdar was the next who interjected.

" But would Jahan not do the same."

The two were dear for everyone how could they decide in such a difficult situation. Only they could think of a miracle. And miracle happened. Because the first time they met wasn't simply a coincidence. They met to meant.

" Sir, the patient on bed number two expired."

A new voice shouted in the hallway and everyone gasped out for breaths. The family of room number two shrank down on the floors to mourn in the waiting room behind them. But the ones standing before the doctors couldn't decide; be selfish or console.

The doctors rushed in. And now wait was all that remained. To see who'd open their eyes first.

Saboohi or Jahan.

Jahan

The slightest of sweat beads that rolled the side of my neck felt like tantalizing prickling. My swollen half lid open eyes could only stare at the blank television screen across from me on the wall. The three days had passed like this. Silent and succumbed.

I barely could let a word out of my mouth. My throat felt as if it had been punctured numerous times. The nurses and doctors would shuffle in, day in and out. Check the monitors, remove the bandages, increase the dosage of medicines and go out. I had barely moved after I had gained consciousness. My sides were bandaged, my ribs utterly damaged.

Mom, dad, Khan Dada, Zaryaab everyone would come to see me. Cheer me up, make me smile, make me talk, bring me back to how they wanted to see me. But not once say a word about whom my heart wanted to hear. They would never utter a word about her. Her.

Sharp butterscotch eyes and wild fiery streaked hair. Round face and porcelain skin. My Saboohi. They won't tell me about her. And not listening to know about her scared me to unimaginable heights. There had to be something they were hiding from me.

Laying on the uncomfortable large hospital bed, I wanted nothing but for Saboohi to walk in. To walk in with her flowy white floral dresses and disperse her floral scent everywhere. To tilt her head and look at me with squinted innocent doe eyes. To ask me questions and worry about the answers. I wanted to feel her hands, her soft hands as she'd run them over my frozen skin and bring me to life. I wanted her more.

I wanted her more than anything.

Fuck. I wanted her more than oxygen itself.

I tilted my shoulders up and blew in a breath feeling the air travel down the windpipe and into my lungs. Barely turning on my side, I closed my eyes hearing Zaryaab's tired snores from the corner of the room as he slept on the small confined sofa. The day was coming to an end just like the past ones and I breathed out hopelessness knowing that no one would bring me Saboohi's news.

" Can I go see my wife?"

My unrecognizable voice stuttered out two days after. Catching the physiotherapist off guard as she jumped up and clapped her hands.

" That's so good. You're regaining your voice back."

Her hands made mine stable on the parallel rods and I leaned against the wall for extra support.

" Say something else, come on keep on talking." She urged yet I frowned at her.

" I really want to see my wife, please."

I stuttered yet again seeing her smile grow more.

" Uhm hmm keep on talking. There's a rough patch and you'll get over it real soon."

She picked up the black strengthening bands and started to pack them up. Whilst I looked at the nurse who walked in the room. I took a step forward and grabbed her attention easily.

" My wife, Saboohi, can you please take me to her?"

She looked at me from behind her spectacles and pulled out her notepad.

" Your wife. Where is she?"

I looked down at my curled palms on the steel rods and shook my head.

" I don't know." I spoke feeling the scratch in my voice and the pulsating veins in my neck region.

My therapist had turned to look at me as well. Before she pulled a chair and helped me sit on it.

" Jahan, is your wife in the hospital? I mean as if she's injured or admitted?"

She asked softly and the two women awaited an answer from me. I ran my tongue over my lips sensing how clueless I was about her.

" We were in an accident and I haven't heard anything about her since then. I couldn't speak until just now and no one has-"

A fit of cough attacked me and I felt breathless until the nurse was pulling a mask over my mouth and rubbing down my back. Sweat trickled down my spine as I breathed heavily trying to pull down the pressure that went to my head.

" Relax, come on relax."

" Can you please tell me your wife's name again, I could check the wing and tell you if I find something out."

I nodded at the nurse who offered politely.

" Saboohi. Saboohi Jahangir."

I pronounced feeling my foreign voice take the name of the dearest and nearest.

" I will do check out and tell you."

Her phone buzzed and she left. Minutes later a male nurse came in and pulled out the wheelchair before helping me on it. He rolled me out of the room and into the corridor as my therapist walked besides me.

" Jahan I'll ask your family and let you know, okay?" She said and I nodded seeing the familiar hallway and door greet my eyes. I was led inside my room and helped on the bed. Sitting with my back against the headrest, I stared out of the window. It was sunny outside and sun reminded me of eyes and petals. A weird combination yet divine and lustre.

Mom and dad were home and they wouldn't probably visit till a few more hours. I wanted to greet them, let them hear my voice. Tell them that I was doing okay.

Somehow I was getting better, at least I was on my feet now. And I couldn't wait to walk up to Saboohi and take her in my arms again. I couldn't wait to repeat my confession again. I couldn't wait to do so many things but the more I thought, flashbacks dipped in white and black would come tracing back. Pull me into the abyss of the horrifying night when the lights gleamed over Saboohi and I ran to her. When I pulled her to my cocoon to save her yet destroyed both of us. Memories would eat my brain cells and torment my soul each time I thought.

I shut my eyes. Pressing them tightly; waterline against waterline and sulked down the pillows. Letting my back now rest against the mattress. I wanted the silky wisps of sleep to adore me, to push me into warm sleep yet the thought of my wife kept me awake till my mom walked in four hours later. Her warm hands cupped my aching shoulders and her soft whispers blew prayers over me.

" Assalam O Alaikum mom."

My scattered voice joined up a sentence. Seeing the woman turn to look to me so quickly that my own neck hurt. Tears immediately gleamed in her eyes and she nodded.

" MashAllah, Jahan, my life. You're speaking again."

" Yes mom."

I cracked a small smile. Mom sat opposite to me, looking at me calmly.

" How's my son doing today? Hmm?"

I looked out of the window and sighed out.

" Where's Saboohi?"

I looked at her, seeing her features turn from relaxed to tense. Her shoulders tilted up and she hesitantly placed a hand over my leg.

" She's here."

I frowned at her.

" Where?"

" She's okay. Will be-"

" I have to see her."

Her eyes tore from mine and she stood up.

" I'll talk to your doctor, Jahan."

I nodded at her back as she walked out of the room. I then tilted my head and watched the sun go down and stars come up from the window of my room. After the hospital food I waited patiently, exchanged glances between mom and dad as they whispered between themselves.

" Saboohi Jahangir?"

A female nurse peeked inside the room before coming in with a clip board. My eyes quirked up and I nodded my head.

" She's my wife."

I said as dad stood up.

" Are you ready to meet her?" The nurse asked engrossing me into a conversation as she pushed the bed handles down and clipped off the monitors from besides me.

" Yes please." I said barely letting my voice reach her ears.

She smiled brightly before nodding at mom and dad.

" I'll send someone in."

She walked out of the room and a strange excitement bubbled inside of me. I pressed my lips tightly as I looked at my parents. The male nurse walked in and smiled as he pulled out my wheel chair. Hauling me up and onto the chair, he patted my shoulder.

" Sorry buddy but your ribs are still too fragile to bear your whole weight."

I nodded and looked ahead as we stepped out in the hallway. I let my palms rub against each other as we crossed the corridor and I to another hallway. I missed the board of the wing, regretting not reading where we were now.

A small nurse station had a doctor standing there and by his stance it looked as if he was awaiting us. The nurse stopped us just near the station and once again mom and dad came to stand besides me.

" Jahangir?"

The old aged doctor asked and I nodded.

" You'll be allowed to meet your wife, but I think I should inform you a few things before you do so."

He raised his brows and looked at me and my parents. His tone made cold shivers to run down my spine. And I couldn't brace myself to hear what awaited me.

" Saboohi hasn't fully recovered her consciousness yet. The fluid in her brain was tested, we did a spinal tab and her reports are yet to come out. But her spinal pressure was more than normal and we had to extract some out. Her cervical vertebra correction was also done. She's not u der anesthesia right now and she's not conscious even."

By the time he had finished, his forehead had wrinkled lines and my arms had goosebumps. I felt my twisted mouth curl more upwards and my wet lashes touched my lower lashes. Sighing in, I courageously looked up at mom and dad seeing my father already looking at me. Whilst mom had her face tilted to the side, hiding herself away from me.

I braced myself on my arms, hearing the protests from around myself.

" I'll walk to her room. She'd never like to see me on a wheelchair." I looked up at my nurse seeing the man give a soft nod and move back, allowing me to stand on my feet. I walked to her room and peeked through the small window seeing the darkened room and a bed inside. I looked away before my eyes could settle on the bed.

Twisting the door handle, I walked in feeling the coolness of the room now plague over my skin. I moved deftly and pulled the small cushioned chair from the corner before placing it besides the bed. I didn't wait to dwell on the fact to look at her but inside I looked at her. All over. All at once. All and all.

Her fiery hair that were behind her head, her eyes that were swollen and red lids, her dry lips. The tube that went from between her lips and down her throat. The white porcelain skin clad in the hospital gown. The marks on her arms. The IV into her arm. The scratches on her pure, innocent skin.

My heart lurched and I grabbed her cold hand swiftly, feeling as if her figure would get erased from before my eyes. Her fingers were cold, slender and beautiful as ever. And I leaned down to kiss her hand.

" Saboohi."

My voice broke and tears gushed down my eyes. My blurry vision looked down at her as I softly caressed her skin and kissed her forehead, her eyes, her cheeks, her nose, her eyes again.

" Saboohi. Please come back."

I wasn't embarassed wailing before her. Instead I wanted to gather her into my arms. I wanted to huddle her into my arms and keep her there.

" Saboohi, wake up. Talk to me. Look at me. See how lonely you've left me."

I clasped our hands together, trying desperately to transfer the warmness of my hand onto her cold one. Tilting her face towards me, I sniffed before kissing her head.

" Wake up now! I want you to fight with me. I want you to argue with me. I want you to show me your anger on everything that I do wrong. I want you to take your stand. I want you confess as you do. I want to see you blush and flush. I want to see you embarrassed. I want to see you smile. To laugh and to cry. I want you to pinpoint everything that disturbs you. I want you to act childishly so that I could scold you. I want you to make a fuss. I want to see you acting up a drama. Please come back Saboohi. Who'd fight with me then? Who'd show me support then? Who'd cheer me up? I miss you. Please return back to me. I love you, please.."

I whispered the last part as my shoulders shook and I leaned my head on her pillow besides her head. Caressing her head, I breathed besides her. Her hand still in mine. And I wound another arm around her and squeezed her to me.

" I'll even sing you songs and lullabies. You could choose every night. Hmm."

Warm tears rolled down my injured temple and I let the wound get rubbed in.

" Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on."

I tilted my head to look at her before singing again.

" Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go 'til we're gone

Love was when I loved you
One true time I'd hold to
In my life we'll always go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart and
My heart will go on and on."

Breathing heavily, I nuzzled my head into her pillow.

" Take my oxygen, take my jahan but return back to me; to my arms."

I closed my eyes and let sleep overwhelm me.

" I am afraid that would be a semi private room and not a fully private room."

The man behind the desk spoke as Zaryaab turned to look at me skeptically.

" Tell him it's okay."

I urged seeing the man give me the look.

" Jahan, it'll only have a curtain between you and the next patient. Like seriously no privacy."

I clicked my tongue.

" Why would I need a private room anyways. They have the same bed in every other room and besides it'll be close to her room, please Zaryaab."

The man besides me huffed and nodded.

" Semi private room it is then." He told to the man behind the desk and the man started working on his computer.

" If it would be upto me. I'd directly shift you into Saboohi's room."

I cracked a smile and patted his back.

Half an hour later, I sat down on the new bed of my new room. The curtain was pulled to separate me from the other patient and Zaryaab looked anything but comfortable. 

" Its only for a few days, come on now."

I said chuckling and patting the space next to me.

" You should shift back home. You're getting better."

I tensed before shaking my head.

" No, I am not okay. See?"

Pressing a hand on my throat, I broke out in coughs till I was breathless making the man tense as he rushed to get my back rubbing.

" You're stupid or what? Don't do that."

He glared at me. Making me chuckle at his reaction. The breaking of something startled us and we looked at the open door and to the commotion outside. Zaryaab walked outside and I slid off the bed ready to follow him outside. The nurses walked passed us and down the hallway. And I tensed hearing screams and people crowding around.

" Jahan, its Saboohi's room."

Zaryaab's panic stricken voice reached me like a bullet and I strode down the hallway. My heart pumping blood so fast that I could feel it in every vein and artery.

I pushed people away and looked at Aunty Sukhaina who cried outside the room and my ears turned deaf as I stuttered my way towards her. Hearing screams again.

Saboohi's screams.

I made my way from between the nurses and into the room, seeing the mess on the floor.

" Stay away. Stay away from me. Go away."

A scratchy voice spoke and casted my eyes to the hypered woman on the bed who wiggled herself everyone and then. Her hands pressed against her ears as she yelled over her lungs. I looked at the nurses who stood around her with bounding straps and i frowned before pushing the male nurse away from her.

" Move away from her."

I said before reaching towards Saboohi. I looked skeptically at her as her teary eyes looked at me. Her mouth agape. And then she breathed out and reached her arm out to me.

" Jahan."

She spoke and I walked to her before gathering her in my arms. Her thin body flung against mine and I breathed her in. Absorbing her within me.

" Jahan. Jahan. Jahan. Jahan." She kept chanting as she placed her head over my shoulder. And I tilted my head to see her mother at stand outside the door and cry.

" Send them away Jahan."

She said after minutes and I nodded into her hair.

" Out. All of you please."

I spoke loudly seeing the nurses walk out, Zaryaab's voice become a background and within few seconds, the door closed.

" Shsh, I am here now. It's okay."

I rubbed her back. Glad that at least she was awake. Pulling back, I felt her arms tighten around me.

" No no. Please don't go. Please don't leave."

Saboohi spoke and I frowned before embracing her again.

" I am not going anywhere. I am here with you."

She sniffed and I rubbed her back, her sides and her arms and down her back again. Repeating the pattern to calm her down. I rubbed her sides until I felt the moisture that my fingers pressed over. I stiffened and slowly pulled back.

" Saboohi wait."

Her butterscotch eyes looked at me softly and innocently and I cupped her face before tilting my head to inspect where my fingers had been. The white of her hospital shirt had turned red and I looked at her eyes seeing her look at the patch as well that lay on the side of her shirt. Slowly pushing her shirt up, I swallowed the gasp seeing blood covering the stitches that lie over her floating ribs.

" Jahan.. blood."

Saboohi looked down at my fingers that were indeed now covered in her blood.

Hi babes!

I hope you all are doing amazing. For all those asking about me, I AM FINE. I AM OKAY!! ❤❤❤

I LOVE YOU GUYS FOR YOUR CONCERN AND I WON'T KEEP YOU GUYS WAITING FOR LONG IN SHAA ALLAH! ❣❤♥

Anyways what do you think about the chapter? A major twist coming up in the next chapter! Let's see!

Till then,

Lots and lots and lots and lots of love,

_Hafsa♥

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro