2/7/2020 - Edges and Foresting

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

2/7/20 - Edges and Foresting

The section I read this week was about the forest. Specifically about the edges and animals that are foraging for food. It is said that some birds may avoid forest edges because food has decreased and it may be harder for them to find food around these areas. Local communities can help out by placing bird feeders along forest edges and even slightly inside so that these birds suffering from a loss of food may not be able to support their families and even provide enough food for themselves to provide. In the text, it states, "Food availability has been shown to decrease near forest edges (Jokimäki et al. 1998), and patch size (Burke and Nol 1998; Zanette, Doyle, and Trémont 2000) for certain nesting birds may account for edge avoidance by species such as ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapillus). However, food may be generally more scarce at edges only for certain bird species, depending on their foraging requirements." This section of the book relates to my question by showing how the local communities can help the birds foraging for food along the edge of the forests. I think that this section of the book is very inspiring for any local communities near a forest that is experiencing foraging availability decrease.

Book Credit:

Animal Behavior and Wildlife Conservation, edited by Marco Festa-Bianchet, and Marco Apollonio, Island Press, 2003. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/pvahs-ebooks/detail.action?docID=3317359.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro