3 - Knight In Shining Armor

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Olivia

"She just doesn't get it." I throw my arms up.

"I don't blame you," Naomi says. "It's so unfair to you that she expects you to take over the family business just because you don't know what you want to do."

I nod. "See, you get it. Why can't she?"

Naomi shrugs. Her black braids flopping over either side of her shoulders as she does.

"Like, I love working at the bakery. I do."

Naomi raises her brows.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. It's true. I just don't, no I can't see myself working there forever. It's not what I want. It doesn't interest me the way it does for my mom or dad."

"I get that. Have you tried to get your dad to listen?"

I roll my eyes. "He won't hear about it. Says it's between me and my mom."

She barks out a laugh. "That's ridiculous."

I point my hands out at her. "Thank you! Now could you tell him that?"

Her brown eyes fill with a mischief glint. "I doubt he would listen to me. But you know who he would listen to?"

My eyes widen. "No! I'm not getting him involved."

"Why not? I'm sure Nick would love to help you. Plus, he'd then be your knight in shining armor." She smirks and bumps her shoulder into mine.

I roll my eyes. "I thought I told you not to talk like that when we're at the bakery."

She throws her arms up around her, gesturing to the buildings around us that prove we aren't at the bakery. "I'm not breaking that rule."

I shrug. "But the bakery's right there." I point ahead of us to the store with the sign above it that says Fudge For Life.

"It's not like he's going to hear us out here."

I glance around us. For once we're the only ones heading to the bakery after school. "No but if anyone else was around they would hear it."

Naomi laughs. "Girl. If anyone heard us they wouldn't care."

I shrug. "Still. I don't need other people knowing about my crush on him."

She bumps my shoulder and pushes me towards the side. A laugh escapes my mouth. "Your huge crush."

I roll my eyes. "God. Stop." I push her away as we reach the door to the bakery. "Are you going to be keeping me company for a bit?"

She pulls her phone out and checks the time. "I can for a bit, but I got a family thing in a bit."

I grin as I open the door to the bakery. "Perfect."

I glance around and notice how few people there are here today. Only one of the tables set out has a person at it.

Nick sits at the till, he's folded over studying a massive book. I walk over and tap the desk. He glances up, his eyes wide with surprise before he relaxes and sees it's me.

"If you're going to be studying you need to also pay attention to the door."

He smirks. "I am. I just knew it was you."

I roll my eyes. "Sure you did."

He nods. "I did."

"Would you two stop flirting?" Naomi pokes in.

My face goes hot. "We're- we're not flirting!"

She smirks and rolls her eyes. "If you say so." She walks over to the table closest to the till. "Can we start on our homework now?"

I look to Nick. "You good if I sit with her until your shift's over?"

He nods. "Go right ahead. I know how hard working and having homework for school can be." He gestures at his own homework.

"Thanks." I give him a shy smile before sitting beside Naomi and smacking her on the arm. "Did you have to say that?" I hiss.

She smirks. "You guys gave me the perfect opportunity. How could I resist?"

I glare at her.

"Don't tell me you wouldn't have done the same."

I cross my arms and pretend to pout. I know full well that I would do the same thing. "Fine."

She gets a triumphant look on her face as she realizes she's won.

I bend over and open my bag to grab my books out of it. I plop them on the table and start working on my English homework. I groan as I open The Crucible. "This book is so boring."

Naomi snickers. "I'm so glad I'm not in your English class."

"Whatever. You'll have to read it eventually."

She shrugs. "But right now, I'm not."

I groan and ignore her as I start reading the book.

I throw my pencil down and stretch backwards over the chair. "I think that's all I have the energy for today."

Naomi checks her phone. "Perfect, because this is where I leave you."

I stick my bottom lip out and give her puppy dog eyes. "Do you have to? The last half hour of the store being open is going to be sooo boring."

She gives me a sympathetic look. "Sorry."

She stands up and throws her bag over her shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow at school?"

I nod. "See you tomorrow."

She waves before exiting the store.

I sigh and look around. No one else is here. The guy who was here when Naomi and I got here is now gone. Nick left half an hour ago since his shift was up and then the store was dead. I guess for now I can start cleaning up and then possibly I'll be able to get out of here right after I lock the doors. So, I go about my regular cleaning routine.

I sweep the floors, wipe the counters down, put the chairs up on the tables and close the blinds. I check the clock on our wall. 4:59. I grin. I'm going to be able to get out of here early. I rush over to the counter and grab the key out from where we keep it in the drawer. I then rush to the door and start to flip the open sign over. That's when it's ripped out of my hands. A blast of warm spring air hits me in the face at the same time as sunlight blinds me.

"Are you-"

"Sorry," I start. "We're closing right now."

The boy's green eyes flick downward. "Oh."

I sigh and try to break the awkward silence that he's created by standing there and not letting me finish my close. "Can I help you with anything?" Normally I would be nicer, but I just want to go home and be done for the day.

He scratches the back of his neck. "I just saw you guys open and thought I'd stop by and get a drink."

I roll my eyes. "We're not a cafe."

The boy raises an eyebrow. "Then what are you?"

Is the boy blind or something?" Read the sign. We're a fudge bakery."

"Oh."

I nod and try to pull the door closed. "Now, can I please close the shop up?"

He sticks his hand onto the door, forcing me to stop pulling it closed. "Wait. Could I just get a cup of water? I'm sure you have a sink in there somewhere."

I bite my lip and glance back into the bakery. It wouldn't hurt if I grabbed him some water, would it? "Why should I?"

He shrugs. "Because I've had a shit of a day and I was just out on a run and need something to drink?"

"And that's my problem?"

He looks down at the ground. "Well, no."

I sigh. I don't need to be nice and get him this water. But, I've known what it's like to have a bad day and even the smallest act of kindness can make it brighter. "Fine. Wait here." I spin around and head back into the kitchen. It's a good thing my dad always forgets a water bottle and orders these plastic cups. He's about the only one who uses them but they do surprisingly come in handy. I grab one and head over to the sink with it. Once it's filled about halfway I bring it back out to the boy. I push the door open and he steps back as his eyes widen. "Here." I thrust the cup out to him.

He grabs the cup from me. Our fingers almost brush each other. "Thank you."

I nod. "I have to finish closing the bakery now."

He nods and I just continue to stare at him, waiting for him to move.

"Oh!" He takes a step back. "Sorry. I'll get out of your hair."

I sigh. "Thank you."

He holds the cup out like he's saluting me before tipping it backwards and chugging it. I can't help but smile a little at the sight. As he turns around I close the door and finally lock it.

I shake my head and try to get the smile off my face. Now that he's gone I can finish my close.

But even as I do his blue eyes don't leave me. He seemed familiar somehow. Have I seen him around school? He looked like he was my age. But I would think I would know if he did go to my school, I don't tend to forget faces. Especially when working here.

Beep! Beep!

I turn around and open the dishwasher. Steam hits me. I reach in and grab each pan and store them away so that they're ready for tomorrow. I look around and don't see anything else that I need to do before leaving.

I grab my bag from the front, my set of keys and head out the back door, making sure to lock it after me. I'm sure mom will be by later to do the money side. So I'm glad I got done early so I won't have to see her and hear more nagging about my future.

I pop my earbuds in and blast my music before starting the walk home.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro