36 - Floating

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Olivia

Charlie's hand is in mine. I'm not imagining this. It's really his hand in mine as we leave the vet clinic.

Somehow, after how weird Harper was I feel like a balloon. Like I could fly up into the sky at any point. But as long as Charlie's hand is holding mine I will stay grounded.

I've never felt like this before.

I don't know whether to be happy about feeling like this, or to be mad and blame someone for it. But who would I even blame? And frankly, I don't want to blame anyone.

We make it back to Charlie's car and instead of releasing his hand and getting in, I turn around so my back is against his car. His chest level with my neck. He grins down at me, a loopy look on his face.

To anyone watching we might look like two love-sick teenagers. That's how I want to look. That's how I feel.

I take a shaky breath. His brows lower and concern wipes the happiness off his face. I want to reach up and put the smile back on his face. Make him look at me with those puppy eyes.

Is that selfish?

"What's wrong?" he asks. His hands leave mine and run up my arms. A shiver runs through me.

"Nothing." I shake my head. "Everything is fine." Better than fine. It's amazing.

Am I really about to do this? Forget the fudge idea. The moment is now.

He smiles. It's a little shaky, but it's still a smile.

"Charlie..." The rest of the words die on my lips. Why did I think this was a good idea? Why didn't I practice like I've done for every presentation? Why didn't I prepare?

"Yeah?" He quirks his head to the side.

I take a deep breath. Start with what just happened. That's a good place to start, right? I look down at our shoes. My white converse and his black running shoes. "When Harper started to scare me I thought that this job wouldn't be for me. I didn't want to turn out like her."

"And you won't!" He bends so his eyes can see mine.

I grin. "I know. Just... let me speak, okay?"

He nods. Worry dances in his brown eyes.

"And I really thought 'that's it. My future will never be made known to me.' and then you wrapped your arm around me protectively and I thought-" I chuckle like it's funny, but really, I'm laughing to hide my nerves. "And I thought 'this is it. This is the one part that I know will always be apart of my life.'"

His brows lower as confusion replaces the worry on his face. "I don't follow."

I laugh. Not to hide the nerves this time but because of how cute he is.

Did I really just think that? It's true but... still, such a weird thought to have. "It means that even if I don't know what job I'll have for the rest of my life, it won't matter."

His face falls. "It won't?"

I shake my head. "No. Because I know one part of my future, and right now, that's enough for me."

He straightens but the confusion doesn't leave his face. "You're making this really hard to follow. I thought the vet career was your future?"

I nod. "And it probably will be. But..." I hum, trying to think of how to word it. "But that will take awhile, I know it will. And I'll still do it but right now, there's one thing for my future that I know will work out." I shrug. "Or, well, hope will work out."

"What's that?" he asks, still not getting it.

I sigh, step closer to him and cup his chin in my hands. "You." Then I lean up onto my tippy-toes and kiss him.

It takes a moment. A moment where I think he'll pull back, push me away. Say I'm not right for him. Where he'll break my heart and I'll be left picking up the pieces. But then, he kisses me back. It's both rough and careful. Tentative and possessive. His lips are soft against mine. His hand reaches up and curls around my ear, slides into my hair.

My back hits the car, but that doesn't stop us.

There aren't any fireworks. But the butterflies jump around my stomach, flapping happily. We're both careful, but sloppy at the same time as our mouths discover each other.

It's nothing like I expected. But it's everything to me.

After what feels like a lifetime, we pull apart. Lean our foreheads together, both breathing a little heavier than before.

"That was..."

"Amazing." A smile breaks onto his face. His eyes glow.

I smile, a blush running up my cheeks. "Was I right?" I whisper to him.

His brows furrow. "Right about what?"

I close my eyes. I need to be prepared. So I brace myself. "That you'll be part of my future?" I don't dare open my eyes in the silence that follows. Was I wrong? Did he just get caught up in the moment? Will all my future hold is a job caring for animals? Surrounded by them and no one else?

He laughs, his breath tickling my lips. Then his own are tickling mine.

A little gasp escapes me when they part.

"I promise to be in your future."

My eyes snap open to find his locked on mine. A small soft smile on his face.

A huge one breaks out on mine and before I know it I find his lips again.

That's how most of the afternoon continues, until rain starts to fall on us. But even as we get into his car I'm reluctant to let go. That I'll wake up and find that I didn't have the courage to kiss him.

But I don't wake up. This isn't a dream.

He holds my hand as he drives, only letting go when he needs his hand. As we drive, the silent pitter-patter of the rain is the only sound around us. I start to lose some of the adrenaline. The happiness is still there but I begin to worry about Charlie. Began to remember what he said in the bakery.

"Charlie?"

"Hm?" A smile still graces his face, and I feel bad that I'm about to wipe it off his face.

"Have you thought any more about meeting with your mom?"

And there it goes. It drops upside down to become a frown. I grip his hand tighter, showing I'm on his side. That I support him. Also because I don't want to let go and lose him.

His gaze stays focused on the road but I can see the drop of excitement in them. "I... wanted to wait until after the vet appointment to bother with her."

I tilt my head. "Why? Don't you... want to talk with her?"

He shakes his head. "Not really." His voice sounds rougher. "She wasn't around when I was growing up. Didn't even try to reach out to us. So why should I bother with her?"

"Because she's your mom? Because she's wanting to try now?" I sigh when I see his eyes narrow. "I know, I know. This is all stuff I'm sure your dad has already said. Or other people. But what if you just met with her once? You can get answers to why she never reached out. You don't have to get to know her and she doesn't have to get to know you." When he doesn't say anything, I sigh. "But it's your decision and no matter what you decide, I'll support you."

His face softens, his hand finds mine and squeezes. "Thank you. That... that means a lot to me."

He pulls the car to the side, in front of my house. When did it get here?

I unbuckle and turn to him, tucking one leg under the other. "Of course." I reach up and cup his face. "I don't want to lose you." I turn his face and kiss his cheek. Before he can react I hop out of his car and start the walk up to my house. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro