29 || T W E N T Y - N I N E

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Life's just one long freefall."

Contrary to popular belief, Governments clean up... really slow. I wasn't sure how long it took for the agents assigned to the Bionics mess, but I knew I opened my eyes again months, months later. There was a man assigned to me, to watch me, as though I'd been sleeping through a re-upload. And it made sense, because... even though I was asleep, I knew. I heard. I saw.

Bionics messed up. Linking every android to a single processing system-a system they knowingly perfected, then regretted-was the worse thing they could do. And the replicas, copied and discarded, did what any pained "human" would do.

They reacted on impulse. They believed in false information. And they attacked, killed, to get what they thought they wanted.

I guess, in the end, they got their wish. They were... human.

As for me, I got mine, I guess. A martyr. A savior. It wasn't what I was looking for, but when I opened my eyes and found myself laying in my old bedroom, I knew it wasn't right. Sure, the tall agent with the movie-style Bluetooth in his ear was a dead give away. But I wasn't in a lab, I wasn't connected to computers.

In a way... I was human, too.

But in truth, I was also the only droid in existence.

Mary gave up everything to make sure I was recreated, rebooted, and it wasn't just for her. It was for Wendy, for my parents. They needed me more than she did, and I guess... I was thankful.

Because the morning I awoke to the sounds of a young girl's laughter and the news recalling events on the living room television, I knew I had just another chance. Even if it was my last. But I knew I'd make the most of it.

|||

"It's been seven months since the Bionics failure to control their defective Androids-"

"Peter!" Wendy ran into my arms as I tried to sit and watch the news at the kitchen table. My father had purchased a small TV on clearance and declared it his best spontaneous purchase.

I couldn't help but agree.

Still, with Wendy clinging to the sides of my shirt, I couldn't pay attention. I turned away from it as the reporter on the screen continued, "The Jordans are still paying for their actions. Sources say the costs are reaching billions. And of course, neither of Jordans are found for comment."

"Everything all right, Lost Girl?" I kneeled down beside my sister so we were eye level. She giggled and jumped, hands on my shoulders. "What can I help you with?" I asked.

"Um, really?" Wendy blinked.

Happy. Energetic. Secretive.

I squinted, but couldn't hide my grin. This was an everyday thing. Before school, after school, Wendy would run to me and just demand my attention. Who was I not to give it to her?

"The location of the defective, broken droids are kept tightly under wraps. Those of you who had your Android picked up for disposal are asked to call the number listed below for instructions. You will be compensated for your loss."

"What's up, kid?" I laughed, ruffling the top of Wendy's head. "Did I mess up with breakfast again?"

"Oh, no, no." Wendy scrunched her nose. "The bacon's a little burnt, but that's not your fault. It's the new body." Her finger tapped my chest repeatedly. "It isn't used to the human-life stuff, yet."

I grabbed her finger and pressed it gently against my forehead. She continued to poke for a minute before letting her fingertip slide down my nose. I smiled. "Well, you'd think I'd be used to this human-life stuff, regardless. It's kind of... what I do."

"Well..." Wendy's hand slid down my chest before she moved away from me with a single bunny-hop. "I think you've got the superhero, magic dust thing down better." She nodded. "You're a better Peter Pan than your average man."

If anyone ever needed a cheerleader, Wendy was their girl. Only, this time, I was allowed to be a little selfish and kept her for myself. She cheered me on every day, every minute, without meaning to. Just a great little sister to a big brother.

"And you're a good Lost Girl," I said, cupping my hand over my mouth so only she'd hear. "Great at keeping secrets."

"Well..." Wendy cringed, mouth pulled back in a painful frown. Then, a sparkle appeared in her green eyes as she looked at me innocently, but... a fake innocence. She giggled right after and kicked her feet. "I'm actually pretty bad at secrets."

Puffing air out my nose, I shook my head and snickered. "All right, Tink, spill it," I said. "I'm watching the news."

"The news is so boring!" Wendy moved forward and pushed me until I stood back up.

It isn't boring. Its vital information.

"What's in the living room, that's so much better!" Her small hands pressed into my back as I stumbled out the room. "And it's a lot nicer than the news!"

"In other news-"

I took three steps into the living room and stopped. Everything stopped. Computers, sensors, every chip connected to my core. I was frozen in the archway of our kitchen, staring into the sunlight that flooded the living room and brightened the space around... her.

Mary Jordan.

She stood near the front couches, an android kit in her hands. She didn't look at me. She looked out the window, at the couches, and then at Wendy because she scurried over to her with a giddy smile on her face. Her small hands grabbed Mary's hands before looking over at me. "So much nicer. And I think you need a check-up."

"A check-up?" I tried to focus on the news report on the TV behind me, but I couldn't. "I... there's nothing wrong with me, Wendy."

"Oh?" Wendy blinked at me before looking at Mary. "He burnt the bacon today."

"Bacon?" Mary looked down at my little sister with a small smile. "I think that's ground for a full body analysis."

Full body analysis?

Mary lifted her head, giving me a good look at her dark brown eyes and perfect face. For the first time in a long time, I felt those fireworks under my skin. The sensors in my computers reacted to every bit of her, every curve of her. I hadn't seen her in so long... I hadn't since...

"Well, go on and scan him, then." Wendy hurried and moved behind me, purposely pushing me until I stood right in front of Mary. When we were practically chest to chest, Wendy stepped back and giggled. "I'll just be in the kitchen trying to save what's left of my breakfast..."

And at the same time, Mary and I managed to say, "Y-Yeah..."

|||

Mary Jordan.

My highschool sweetheart.

My wife.

She stood in front of me, unboxing her android-kit like she actually meant to use it, but I saw right through her. She'd been in hiding with her parents, avoiding the public, the media, and yet... she was here, in my parents' house, with me, like when we were teens back in high school.

But I couldn't just let her pretend. Before she could even pull out the stylus and have me sit on the couch, I grabbed her hand. I made her look at me. "You're... here," I said.

She blinked, her curls falling over a part of her face. "I am," she said.

"But... why?" I moved back, keeping a foot of space between us. "I was made. I'm here with my family. It's all done and over with."

"Not for me." Mary pushed the tool back into the kit and looked back at me, hands at her side. "I lost everything when this happened-"

Rubbing my temples, I closed my eyes.

"-I lost my parents, I lost Rory, I lost..." As she spoke, I didn't expect her to touch me, to put her hands on my chest. But she did. When I opened my eyes, I found myself looking down, right into hers. "I almost lost you, and for what?"

I frowned, unsure of how to answer.

"I know I was selfish and close-minded. I put everything before you and them. And because of it, I've got no one left. And I... I..."

"Mar." Lifting one hand, I touched her chin.

"I made sure they used all the components I had left to make you and recreate you the way it was done when I first put in the commission. I know I've made my mistakes, Javi, but there was one thing that you had-have-that the other Androids didn't."

"What?" I pulled my lip up between my teeth. "What's that?"

"A heart." She moved closer, her hands gripping the edge of my shirt. "A soul. Your programming went beyond the human code and specs. It was just... real. Unnatural."

With her so close, my computers were able to pick up on her emotions. Nervous. Anxious. Fearful. And yet, in the midst of negativity, I saw love, ache, need. Glancing over the range of emotions, my gaze settled on the data that appeared over her head. Her name.

Her actual name.

Mary Morales.

I lifted her chin and looked right into her eyes. "Mar... is anything natural?"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro