14| Broken Plates & Promises

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I imagine the lovely and talented Sophia Bush as Lily from the Diner:

(Even her voice is perfect for Lily!)

Without hesitating, I rushed over and scooped up the crying boy. Carrying him away from the broken glass, I tried to calm him down.

"Shhh, shhhh, it's okay. You're okay, Mommy is okay. I know it was loud and scary but it's over now," I said, trying to get him to stop crying but it wasn't working. His eyes were glued to his mom and the mess he made.

Come on, Natalie! You've got this, now what was this kid's name?

It took me about five seconds to remember it.

"Shhh, Nate. Please stop crying," I begged, reaching for his little hand.

Just by saying his name, I managed to get him to look at me. His cute little face was covered in snot and tears and all the crying had made him go pink in the face, but now he was just whimpering and trying to catch his breath.

A woman nearby brought me a napkin, and I wiped little Nate's face off. I decided that I should stay with him until the mess was cleaned up. I busied myself by checking to see if he was cut anywhere, but he looked fine.

"Sorry about that," Lily sighed once everything was cleaned up. "He came out of nowhere and knocked me off balance. Thank you for stepping in."

"It was no trouble. Calming down little children is one of the few things I'm good at," I said with a smile.

"Yeah, well...Wait a minute, you're that girl, the babysitter with the flyer, right?" she remembered, her eyes clicking in recognition.

"Yup, that's me. I'm Natalie."

I looked down when I felt little wet fingers grab one of mine.

"You should be more careful, little guy. You don't want Mommy to get hurt, right?" I asked, and then I looked up at Lily who was watching the whole thing.

Nate nodded, and then I lead him back over to his mother.

"Hey! You're order's ready," Leila shouted, getting my attention.

"That's my cue," I said to Lily, who's now held Nate, before sitting back down and eating my food.

I placed an extra ten dollars down as a tip for Leila and started to leave.

"Hey, wait!" I heard Lily yell as I reached the door.

I turned around and smiled as she ran up.

"You babysit," she stated, catching her breath.

"I do," I confirmed with a smile, feeling like I was about to land my second gig.

"Are you free on weekends?"

"Completely free."

"Well, I want to hire you to watch Nathan on weekends, from nine in the morning to three in the afternoon. Could that work for you?" she asked, very direct.

"Are you kidding me?! This would be the first ongoing job I've been offered since I moved here! Of course it works for me!" I squealed, too excited to keep it in.

"Great, I'll call you to work out the details," Lily said with a smile while ripping off one of the contact strips on my flyer that was still hanging on her board.

I waved goodbye, feeling accomplished.

Later, I arrived at the Singh's house fifteen minutes before five. They paid me upfront, intruducing me to their five children. They ranged from ages three to twelve, and were a nightmare to watch, but the pay was good.

When I got home it was almost eleven. I grabbed a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream and went to my room. I planned to eat the whole thing while finishing up my script for Digital Studios. I would try and find actors for it as soon as it was finished.

Ding!

I checked my phone to see who just sent me a text and instantly regretted caring. Why didn't I block her number?! How did I freakin' forget to do that?!

Is she serious right now?! She thinks I unfriended her because I moved? No, Ken, I unfriended you because you're a back-stabber and I didn't want to see when your status changed to "in a relationship".

Almost as soon as I sent it, Kennedy caled me. I hesitated to answer, but decided it was best to get closure and move on.

"What?" I asked, knowing that my voice was cold and harsh.

"Nat, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you! It happened only one time, I swear. We were drunk and talking about how much we missed you and...It was a mistake that I just wanted to bury and make like it never happened but I couldn't and now you know. I promise I never meant to hurt you and I would take it back if I could. Please please please forgive me! We promised to be friends forever, remember!?" she cried, running all her words together like she usually did when she was stressed.

My heart hurt just hearing her like this, and a part of me knew that she was telling the truth. We'd been best friends since preschool, I couldn't just cut her out of my life completely. But, she hurt me, and I was not ready to let her back in right now.

"I forgive you, Ken," I said.

I could hear her breathe out in relief, but I wasn't done talking.

"I believe you when you say you didn't mean to hurt me, but you did. And being so far away just complicates this whole situation. I'm sorry I had to leave, I know it hurt you, but I didn't have a choice. And I wish I could forget what I know happened between you and Ryan, but I can't. I need time before I can be friends with you again," I expounded, my words soft but sure.

"Oh, okay," I heard her say, but I could tell she was starting to cry.

"We will be friends again, someday," I promised before hanging up.

I ended the call before she made me cry, too. Then, deciding there was no better time to do this than now, I called the boy that used to hold my heart.

"Hello? Natalie?" he questioned when he answered his phone.

"Hey, Ryan," I said slowly.

Nerves were starting to kick in and it felt like I was about to break up with him again.

"Hey, what's up? I wasn't expecting a call from you."

"I know, Ryan. About you and Kennedy. I know what happened," I blurted out, getting straight to the point.

"Crap, man, Natalie. I don't know what to say."

"I know we weren't together when it happened, but she was my best friend, Ryan! How could you do that when I hadn't even been gone a whole week!?" I shouted, tears starting to pour from my eyes.

"Don't you know that I was trying to come back home! I was going to find a way to come back to you, to Kennedy, to my life. You promised me that I was worth the wait, that you loved me, and less than a week after we break up you sleep with her! How, Ryan?! How could you?!"

"I don't know, Natalie! I don't know!" he shouted back, sounding sad, nervous, and scared. "You were gone, I was lonely. It's not like you ever even let me go that far with you, and we were together for a year! I did love you, I still do, but I was weak and...I needed to release some frustrations so I guess I turned to alcohol. I didn't plan on it, but Kennedy was there and things happened. Look, Natalie, I wish things could have worked out between us, but-"

I hung up right then and there. I no longer wanted to hear his explanation, I could already tell where it was going. I wouldn't have sex with him so he got drunk and turned to the first girl he could once I left. Maybe he didn't mean to, but he did, and I didn't want someone who was so careless.

Without any hesitation, I deleted him from my contacts, along with any feelings I had left for him. It may take some time to completely lose all of them, but my mind was made up.

"Are you okay?" a voice asked, soft like a whisper, coming from the hall.

Thanks for reading! Please comment, vote, and share! Tag someone you think would enjoy this story.

And if you dare consider yourself a "One Tree Hill" fan, you better tag someone; not for me, but for Brooke. Lol.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro