[12] Broken hearts & Broken bones

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

This chapter is dedicated to burningred- ! She made the fantastic trailer on the side! Isn't it amazing guys? The best trailer I've ever seen! Thank you love, it's perfect! I also hope everyone had an amazing holiday! 

"No Cade." Autumn aggressively shook her head in opposition. "I'm not doing it."

"Oh come on Autumn, it'll be fun!" Cade whined, drumming his fingers against the metal of the fire extinguisher.

"I am not going to use the fire extinguisher to shoot myself across the room! It's just stupid." Autumn rolled her eyes, giggling.

"You'll be in a chair. It's fine!" Cade wailed like a child.

"If it's so easy then why don't you do it?"

"I can't. I'm crippled," he returned with a heavy yet fake frown.

"Is that your excuse?" He bobbed his head.

"What are you guys fighting about?" Tate wondered, hands in his pocket as he strolled into the room.

"Autumn is being a little bit of what I like to call a Clarke," Tate snorted. "Also known as a fun sucker." Cade and Autumn chortled, their stomachs hurting from laughing so hard.

"Speaking of Clarke, don't you have some work to do for her?" Tate grilled after the snickering had ceased.

"Listen to this, I did all the work and then she decides to give me more! Can you believe it?" Cade moaned, scooting himself back in front of the screens.

"What does she want you to do anyway?" Autumn inquired.

"She wants me to find someone. I don't really know," Cade shrugged.

"Since you need to work, mind if I borrow Autumn?"

"She is all yours," Cade smirked, eyes glued to his screen. "Just a warning though, she's in an anti-fun mood." Autumn punched Cade in the arm as she got up and followed Tate from the room.

"Where are we going?" Autumn requested.

"It's a surprise," Tate covertly answered back. He directed her past her bedroom, to the left and around the bend. Autumn also felt a twinge of anxiety as she entered the hall that hid the Council behind a locked door and a guard.

Tate ushered her into one of the rooms at the base of the hall and Autumn cautiously entered. Tate flicked on the light switch and what she saw next was puzzling.

"A dance studio?" Autumn cast doubt on his reasoning for taking her there. She advanced towards the wall of mirrors, her feet cracking against the timber floors. She hadn't seen her reflection completely since she had arrived. Autumn had only snuck a peek or two into Cade's monitors.

Autumn was surprised at how different she looked yet she couldn't point out any notable differences. She was just altered.

"Why are you going all Patrick Swayze on me?" Autumn interrogated when she became aware of the fact that she was just staring at her reflection. Autumn twirled around on her heels to face him. His eyebrow was raised quizzingly.

"I have no clue what you're talking about."

"Patrick Swayze? Dirty Dancing? You know, 'Nobody puts Baby in a corner'?" Tate shut the door, the same perplexed expression on his face.

"Why would I put a baby in a corner?" Tate was exceptionally mixed up.

"Do you not watch movies?"

"Can we focus please?" Autumn couldn't help but chuckle; she probably sounded insane. Tate peeled off his jacket, revealing his brawny and statuesque body. Autumn could feel her cheeks burning as she forced herself to look away. She knew he was in shape but not that much. "Let's do this."

"Do what exactly?" Autumn's mind slipped into the gutter as all she saw was Tate in an undershirt, the two of them in a closed off room, and him preparing her for something she was unaware of. Autumn then apprehended that she had been hanging out with Cade way too much.

"I'm going to teach you how to fight." Autumn couldn't help it; she broke into a wild fit of laughter. "What?"

"Me? Fight? The thought of that doesn't just make you laugh?"

"Come on Autumn, be serious. This is important. If someone . . . hurts you, I want you to be able to fight back." Autumn could see the guilt in his eyes. "Now, show me your fighting stance." Autumn checked her surroundings to double check that no one was in the room and to make sure Cade hadn't installed a camera somewhere to play back the embarrassment that was about to transpire.

The room was hideously bare. All the walls but one was beige and the only items standing in the room was an old radio which sat atop a wooden stool.

"My fighting stance involves me running away," Autumn joshed to mask her discomfort. Tate pressed forward. "Spread your legs shoulder width apart." Autumn did as he ordered. "Bend your knees." Tate set a tender hand on her shoulder. "Loosen up. You need to stay balanced and loose."

Tate circled around her so they were now face to face.

"Hands up. You always keep them up to protect your face."

"This is pointless!" Autumn exclaimed, frustrated, tossing her hands by her side. "I'm never going to win a fight."

"You never know," Tate debated.

"I do know. I'm just . . . me," she grimaced. "Nothing special."

"You are extraordinary." Autumn and Tate swapped smiles. "Did you ever think you'd be here? You are very brave. It's bound to get you into trouble eventually, now hands up." Autumn returned to the stance he had instructed her to do before, not wanting to disappoint him. "Do you know how to make a fist?"

Autumn curled her four fingers around her thumb.

"No," Tate shook his head. "Your thumb has to be on the outside. It'll break if it's on the inside." Autumn readjusted her thumb. "The best places to punch are the nose and the stomach. Your main goal should be to just hit them somewhere where you can get away."

"Can't I just kick them in the groin?" Autumn purposed.

"Whatever floats your boat. . . Okay, so if you have your stance it's important to be the first one to attack. It'll throw them off."

"Okay, are we done now?" Autumn complained. She was mortified by the fact that she didn't even know how to form a proper fist.

"No, that was only one way."

"One way?" Autumn quizzed as Tate revolved around her. He bounded forward, wrapping his arms around her firmly. He pinned her arms to her side. Autumn couldn't help but chuckle, she didn't know why she couldn't stop.

"Be serious." Judging by his tone, he was restraining a laugh. "What do you do now?" She could feel his warm breath on the back of her neck.

"Wait until your arms get tired and you put me down?"

"First, stomp your heel onto the instep of my foot." Autumn went to do it. "Not really! This is all hypothetical."

"If it's hypothetical, why are you holding me so tightly?"

"You-y-your parts hypothetical," he stammered. "You could also do a backwards head butt. That should loosen his grip enough for you to slip out of it. Get away." Autumn gripped Tate's fingers, removing his grip on her. She swiveled around to face him, giggling. "What do you find so funny about this?"

"I don't know." She examined his annoyed expression. "Come on, have a little fun."

"A little?" He tickled her stomach.

"Stop!" She uproariously guffawed.

"I'm just having a little fun," he harmlessly retorted, continuing. Autumn tried to step away from him but he matched her step for step.

At one point, she nearly tripped but Tate reached out and steadied her.

Autumn fell against his chest, there laughter booming throughout the vicinity of the room. Autumn levelled herself, wiping a tear away as she stared into his eyes. The laughter faded away and Tate relocated a single strand of hair from her face and positioned it behind her ear.

Autumn couldn't break away. It felt as if the gravity around them was driving their heads closer and closer together; and neither of them were fighting it. Her heart was thumping so brashly it pounded in her ears.

Her lips were inches from his.

"I can't do this," Tate sighed, stationing his hands on her arms. Tate meant to send her a step back and away from him. However, his emotions were out of control. He was so focused on the feeling; the emotions that he'd only had once before.

The last time he felt that way towards someone it ended up breaking him. He feared it'd happen again.

Unable to keep his mind clear, the unthinkable happened. Autumn fell victim to Tate's powers. Autumn soared backwards and across the room in the blink of an eye. She smashed into the wall, crashing to the ground in a heap. Autumn started to sob, the pain that burst from her arm excruciating.

"Autumn!" Tate was at her side in a second. He shifted her onto her back. She couldn't stop crying as she clutched her arm against her chest.

"I-I can't . . . I," she broke off to scream.

"Oh my god . . . What have I done?" Tate panted, his eyes becoming glossy. "I should never have brought you here."

"Tate," she whimpered for him. He bounded to his feet and withdrew from the room. Autumn wept at full volume, not capable to keep her voice down. Sitting there, alone, in an unfamiliar room broke her. Tate had deserted her. The door soared open a few minutes later and Clarke emerged.

"Autumn, Autumn what happened?" Clarke hurtled to her knees, helping Autumn sit up as she howled in agony.

"My arm!" She sobbed, weeping into Clarke's shoulder.

Tate had left her.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro