Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Nadia sat alone in her room, watching the screen before her. A video played on it, showing her and both her siblings at a protest.

Nadia had asked Steve to give her all the stuff S.H.I.E.L.D. had on the Maximoff children. Steve had done so, letting Nadia watch old videos of her and her siblings.

Nadia pulled up another one, a video of her and Pietro in the battle of Sokovia. Pietro was checking up on her to make sure she was okay. Tears stung Nadia's eyes as she turned the screen off. She held her face in her hands as she began to cry.

This was a normal thing that happened with her, she missed her brother dearly, and it was a very sensitive subject for the sixteen-year-old. It drove her crazy, the fact that Wanda never talked about Pietro.

Tears continued to come until she heard a knock at her door. Nadia looked up, wiping a tear away as she noticed Steve standing there. "Don't," Nadia told him, turning away as she wiped the last of her tears away.

"I'm not," Steve told her, coming over and sitting in her bed. "You are, you're giving me that pity face. Put it away." Steve chuckled softly as he rubbed Nadia's back. "I really miss him. It's been two years, but I still do." She sighed, sniffling.

Steve nods. "I know. And you have every right to." He was cut off by hearing a muffle TV. Nadia got up and followed Steve to Wanda's room, who was staring at the news.

"What does an enchanted individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria? Many people believe it was the fault of her sister Nadia, who should have stopped her-"

Steve sighed and turned it off. "It's my fault," Wanda told him, staring at the blank screen. "That's not true," Steve replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific. And the fact they think is Nadia's-" Wanda sighed, looking over at the two of them. "I should have clicked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," Steve told both of them, walking in the room.

Nadia sat next to her sister, leaning her head on her shoulder. Wanda sighed, rubbing Nadia's arm. "Rumlow has his knife up to Nadia's throat, then says Bucky. And suddenly I'm a sixteen-year-old kid from Brooklyn." Steve continues sitting down.

"And people died. It's on me."

"It's on all of us," Nadia told him, looking towards the ground. "This job... we try to save as many people as we can. And sometimes that doesn't mean everyone." Steve looked at the two sisters.

"And if you can't find a way to live with that, then maybe next time no one gets saved."

Nadia sighed, taking her head off Wanda's shoulder. Vision suddenly walks through the walls. "Vis! We talked about this." Wanda told him.

"I know but the door was open, and I just thought..." Vision sighed, giving up. Nadia glanced at his outfit, which was dressed up.

Wanda and Vision had bonded a lot over the past two years, and Nadia could tell they liked one another. But Wanda denies it of course.

"Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark arrived," Vision told the girls. Steve nodded. "Thank you. We'll be right down."

"I'll use the door," Vision told them. "Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

"Do we know them?" Steve asked. Vision nodded. "It's the Secretary of State."

Nadia and Wanda glanced at one other. "Well, this will be interesting..."

—•—

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I'm dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Secretary Ross told the Avengers as they all sat at the long table. Nadia looked confused at the mention of a backswing. She didn't understand American sports yet.

"Turns out, it was the best round off of my life. After thirteen hours of surgery and bypass, I found something that forty years in the army never taught me. Perspective." Nadia glanced at the room around her.

Ross continued. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who prefer the word... vigilantes."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nadia turned to see Natasha speak, they met eyes and smiled weakly towards one another.

"How about dangerous?" Secretary Ross questioned. "What would you call a group of U.S.-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind them?"

Ross stepped aside and the screen came down. "New York." A clip of a battle appeared on the screen. Nadia recognized the huge beast from the basement of the old Hydra base.

She watched as people screamed, and destruction was all around. "Washington D.C." another clip came into the screen, showing the helicarrier crashing down beside a building. Nadia noticed Sam looked down in shame.

Ross's eyes found hers. "Sokovia." People were running and screaming, the city was flying. A building cracked in half and fell towards the ground. Nadia felt sick as she watched it. She turned away, blinking back tears.

Steve noticed, sighing heavily. "Lagos." The film switched to what they saw earlier that day. The building was on fire and people were dead. Wanda looked away.

"Okay, that's enough," Steve told the Secretary. Nadia wiped her eyes before returning her focus back to Ross.

"For the past 4 years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He took a book from his assistant and put it on the table next to Nadia.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states, that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve protested, glancing up at the Secretary. Nadia flipped open the first page, reading it.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences." The Secretary looked around at the group.

"Compromised reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So there are contingencies," Rhodey confirmed. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. So, talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Then you retire."

okay so like the secretary could die and I'd be like "yeah cool and?"

Like. He's so annoying!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro