007. basket-baller gossip

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

ODETTE | MOETTI

IT WAS SURPRISING that out of all of us, Lesedi had finished unpacking first.

But maybe that had to do with Jae organising, then reorganising her things, Aerona doing more reading of her book than touching her suitcases ( which I suspected held more novels in ) and Noor getting distracted every time she came across framed pictures of her family. Even I'd put my unloading on pause when I found the only trophy I'd brought with me.

It wasn't a reward I'd recently won. On the contrary, it was my first award I'd ever gotten for swimming and it was made of plastic. You could probably find perfect replicas of it ( if you ignored its wear and tear ), if you nipped to Tesco, but it meant so much to me because of the memories attached to it.

I'd gotten it six years ago, at a summer swim-camp in Ireland that had introduced me to the sport. It was during an era when my parents were dead-set on finding a sport that I'd excel in during my free time. They would get in contact with sporting legends and pay them so I'd be under their wing and expertise for the six weeks. It had happened since I was seven, when the Moetti company had struck gold. I was used to being carted off to different countries every year during the summer.

Back then, I took it as a fun learning experience that introduced me to so many different cultures and people. But I'd never forget wishing to go on an ordinary holiday with my parents and make happy memeories with them.

In County Louth, I learned the different swim styles alongside other kids and it was one of the happiest times of my life— especially because of the kind, elderly woman who'd seen my gift and had been my mentor. In hindsight, Ms Mori probably been payed by my parents to do so, but unlike other teachers I'd had, she was kind on her own accord.

Aya Mori was Japan's most famous multi-gold medalist during the seventies. Straight after completing her high school final exams, she was swimming amongst her country's best and made a name for herself in her debut by achieving bronze. She'd improved with age to the point where from the ages of twenty-one to twenty-five, she was the only one to ever win gold in the butterfly long distance women's category. The main reason she'd retired from the sport at twenty-five was because she'd gotten married and wanted to direct her time, energy and love towards her family, especially when she'd became pregnant.

She was one in the long list of female swimmers I looked up to— so I doubt I'd ever forget the experience.

The trophy was small in my hands and I could hardly believe it used to crowd my palms. The gold colour had peeled away over the years, but it always reminded me of what the sport originally was to me; my calling and where I was supposed to be.

I put the prize in its place on my bedside table as I spotted Lesedi stowing away her bunnies and glancing towards the dorm door.

I knew better than to think she would prioritise anything — even new friendships — over getting fresh food. It meant I had to be the one to call over my shoulder as I followed her out of the dorm; Lesedi was already to the door after she'd noticed it was one PM.

"We'll save you guys seats at the table we find."

Waiting until I'd gotten verbal responses from the girls, I jogged after my cousin with a disbelieving smile on my mug. "You couldn't wait to say bye at least?"

She shook her head, more focused on steering us through shortcuts that would take us to the refectory quicker. "I'm sure they'd understand. It's for, uh, food."

I shook my head to myself before linking our arms at the elbow. "So. . .what d'you think about the girls?"

She didn't respond straight away and I stewed in the newness of making more girl friendships— especially outside of our sport.

I nudged her as I dragged my thoughts away from Phoebe Remington, AKA Lesedi's nemesis. "Chocolate cake's on today, y'know."

Something I hadn't seen before flickered over her face and I paused at the darkened look in her eyes. "What's up?"

She pulled up a smile but it slouched oddly on her face. "I've got a slight stomach ache so I think I'll. . .eat light today and skip on the desert."

It was unusual for her to forgo her usual fave food but if she said she had a stomach ache, she had one. It would explain why she hadn't ate the food Neo had given her in the kitchens yet.

"I hope you feel better soon, have you prayed to God about it yet? We can now if you want?"

She didn't hesitate to shake her head and she tugged me along until we reached the large space reserved for eating. "I'm just a little less hungry than usual, but thank you for the concern Odey."

Set on the ground floor of the North wing, the refectory was a space easily accessible by everyone. You didn't even need to leave the school building to reach it and it was accessible from the quad to too. I turned my gaze toward the lines and my lips couldn't resist lifting up at the shorter one in the athletes queue.

I bet she was happy about that, even if her stomach was working against her.

She definitely was by the way she escaped my arms to bag a spot. When I joined her, she passed me a tray out of the two she'd somehow sprouted. I didn't want to question it; she was the type of person to sneak a tray under her top to ensure she got what she wanted.

My eyes landed on the desert section at the end of the queue. "Chocolate cake's my cheat dish."

Lesedi snorted as we moved along the line. "That's what you always say."

I rolled my eyes at her.

Despite the clearly calorie-heavy desert I'd set my heart on, I wasn't going to do the same with my main. We persued over the options under the part of the buffet line labelled for swimmers.

It helped massively that the school prepared meals for athletes to make sure we were at out best. It meant we didn't have to do all the calculations and research into every little thing that we put inside our bodies ourselves. It certainly helped us to not focus too much on all the numbers and I was thankful.

It didn't take us too long to make up our minds, and I grabbed a chilli con carne with salad, chocolate cake and orange juice. Lesedi wasn't lying when she said she was going for something light: she settled on a pasta salad and got an apple juice ( the weirdo ).

After getting our food, it was second nature for us to make our way to our usual table; the one in the left corner, beside one of the floor-to-ceiling windows. It was a great place to watch everyone else since you could see the rest of the cafeteria as well as overlook the quad outside. I mainly liked it because the corner meant that barely anyone would look your way, and in a building where it felt like my parents' presence was everywhere, it was a safe place.

"Do you think—"

Lesedi didn't have a chance to finish her sentence when a certain bob-haired girl barged between us, making sure to bump our shoulders. There was a sneer on her narrow face but we rolled our eyes and continued on to our seats. I wasn't even surprised at this point, in fact it would have been odd if Remington didn't try something today.

I couldn't resist speaking to the blonde over my shoulder. "Remington, congrats on being made captain."

She may not be civil but I was. I didn't need any drama from her this year, certainly not while I was representing my country.

Like the sweetheart the Greek-girl was, she completely ignored around my compliment to have a go at me. "Aw, are you jealous it wasn't you? Does it hurt to not come first this time Moetti?"

I almost snorted at how her words bounced off my skin; if she wanted to hurt me she had to do well better than that.

She should go talk to my parents for tips.

Lesedi didn't spare the girl another glance, but the scowl on her face said Remington would regret her words later. "Do you think she'll ever rest?"

My lips twitched upwards before I'd even finished thinking about my answer. "Not until she breaks her legs and can't swim no more."

We sniggered until we got to the table we'd claimed as ours last year. It didn't take long after we'd dug in to our mains for the other girls to arrive with their own trays in hand.

"Hi!" Aerona waved despite everything on her tray leaning forward at the action.

Jae stopped the disaster waiting to happen by grabbing a corner of her tray and reminding her to be more cautious.

I smiled at the two and turned to my left as Noor sat down beside me. "This is a nice spot."

Lesedi stopped drinking her apple juice from her paper straw to give her two pennies. "Isn't it?"

For a bit, we all settled into a comfortable silence, punctuated only by the clinks of utensils and us eating.

As multiple conversations began taking place, I leaned over to Lesedi to ask her something that had been niggling at me. "What did you do with the food Neo gave you?"

She thinned her lips and I knew she was debating telling me even with the shroud of chatting around us. "I binned it."

I blinked. I wasn't expecting that.

"Why?"

The question made her turn her face to her half-eaten salad. "I didn't want it anyways— besides I'm eating now, aren't I? Didn't want to ruin my already wobbly appetite."

She wasn't usually so defensive with me but I'd always spoke my mind with her. "You could have saved it or gave it me?"

It was quiet between us for a moment and I almost felt like taking it back.

"I don't want to talk about it."

I'd never seen her like this before, all agitated and skittish. I dropped the topic and gave her a hand a quick squeeze to let her know I understood.

Did Neo know about whatever it was that had set her off?

His gentleness I'd seen him show her flicked through my mind. I ignored the pang in my chest at the possibility of her hiding something she was struggling with from me.

She'll tell me when she's ready.

"I remember you mentioning you'd moved here with your brother earlier?"

I retuned into the group's conversation at Aerona's question that she'd directed at Noor.

"Oh, the new guy that's coming is your brother?" Jae questioned, casting her attention to the hijabi too. "The reason I was late to the dorms on Induction was because I was talking to Deputy Prescott about that. He asked me to help integrate the new guy when he finally arrived. He wasn't sure of a date, didn't explain why he was joining on a different day either, just that I should be as welcoming as possible."

Noor sighed and nodded before refolding the white cardigan on top of her pink abaya. "He's actually my twin and he's called Omar. He's should be joining St Everfields in the next few weeks. He was upset — and still is — about us moving from Saudi to come here. He didn't want to leave his old friends behind so he stayed back with Baba for a bit while Mama's trying to convince him to come to England."

After a moment of hesitation, I carefully voiced the question that was rolling around my head.  "I know 'baba' is Arabic for dad. . . Does that mean your parents live in seperate places? Um, you don't need to answer if you don't want to."

It was a personal question for sure, but considering I'd only really talked to Lesedi about deep things, I didn't know where the line was here. I didn't know how far was toeing — or crossing — it.

I expected her to not answer but she did as she turned her attention to the bowl of vegetable stir-fry before her. "It's fine. They're living in different countries at the moment while they're in the middle of a divorce, so, um yeah."

That definitely crossed the line, well done Odette. She definitely wanted to be mates now.

It was silent and I was mentally kicking myself until Aerona said, "That sucks."

The two words and her scrunched face were able to encapsulate our feelings on the matter and I was grateful that she was able to breeze past the topic when she asked, "So you and brother, are you two close?"

Noor laughed a little. "We're twins, we have no choice but to be."

"So he's a bookworm like you?" Lesedi raised a teasing brow, especially since the girl always had a book with her.

Noor snorted with a soft smile. "No, he's pretty much my opposite. He was popular at our old school and everyone loved him. I'd say mainly because of how well he represented the school at games."

"Oh, what sports does he play?" Jae asked from over her glass of water.

"Basketball mainly."

I was too focused on watching Jae's eyebrows rise to catch Noor's expression.

"Will he tryout?"

From Noor's words, he sounded like he'd be a good addition to St Everfields' team. Especially since I'd heard they'd reached the final's last year, but hadn't won.

The hijabi shrugged and pierced the carrots on her dish with her fork. "I don't know, he might still be loyal to his old team. He's odd like that."

I nodded. It made sense, it would be weird if I ever competed against my teammates.

I wonder if he'd be willing to make friends with students at a different school.

From what I'd seen so far, I wasn't surprised that Aerona spoke up again. "Bet you all want to know how me and Jae know each other."

So far, it seemed like only Aerona could get under Jae's skin— and the brunette revelled in it.

Like a testament to my findings, Jae rolled her eyes and pushed off the arm the cheer captain had slung over her shoulders. "Ronnie, you can't assume."

"She is right though," Noor's cheeks darkened as she realised everyone had turned their eyes to her. "I'm a little curious, you're both so different."

Jae sighed while Aerona grinned like it was a green light for her to carry on. I hid my smile and Lesedi pointed hers at her leafy lunch.

"Well, it all started when—"

The head girl cut her off as she cut up her beef sirloin. "We know each other through the basketball team."

The look Aerona shot Jae had us all spluttering with laughter but Jae's words had me intrigued. "But you're both not on the women's basketball team?"

Aerona set her browns on Jae until groaned and gave in. "Alright, whatever, you can explain."

Satisfied, the darkskin answered my question with a small smile. "What Jae missed out is that we know each other through guys on the male's basketball team. I know Cai who plays as a center. We grew up on the same street in Wales, so I've known him since childhood."

As she spoke, I noticed she had an accent. It made her words come out softly but with a confidence that was undeniable.

"Is he your boyfriend?"

I almost choked on my spoonful of cake at how direct the question from Lesedi was.

This girl really had no filter.

The way the Welsh-girl's lips gaped at the question wasn't hidden. She didn't answer straight away and I caught the curl to Jae's lips.

As if sensing her friend's amusement at her situation, she turned the topic of conversation onto Jae. "She's the one who went out with Kadede last year. If you're looking for relationship drama ask her about that."

The way Aerona shifted the attention onto the girl beside her was so obvious and my smile grew at the soft snickers coming from Noor.

I was glad no one felt left out, despite the topic of conversation.

"Who's Kaede?" Noor beat me to the question.

Whether it was because of the focus on her or the mention of him, Jae spoke after muttering under her breath. "He's captain of the basketball team this year and a family friend."

At Aerona's raised eyebrows she grimaced and added, "And ex-boyfriend. Thank you Ronnie, how could I forget?"

The brunette seemed proud of herself for getting Jae to spit it out. A silent laugh left me but I made a note to not bring him up.

It was clearly a touchy subject.

That didn't stop Lesedi from cannonballing through with the question, "Was it a messy break up?"

I elbowed her in the stomach so she was distracted with not coughing up her lunch to ask direct questions. In the aftermath, she quickly changed her tune.

"So, um, family friend?"

I thought I caught a small smile on Jae's lips, but I couldn't tell because she turned her face towards her plate. "Yes, a family friend. My brother, Sang-hun, was captain last year and was close to kaede. Plus, my parents are friends with his."

My head nodded even though she was addressing Lesedi. Still, I stored the info away.

I didn't blame Jae for turning the interrogation onto my cousin. "So are you friends with any ballers?"

It was clear she was saying it to return the question and move the spotlight off herself, not because she expected anything.

I'd only just been enlightened after the run in we had with the two tall boys earlier but I was still surprised when Lesedi leaned forward to stage-whisper, "Just Neo Moseki."

"He's on the team as a small forward." Aerona must have sensed the confusion rolling off Noor as she tried to keep up with the convo.

She sent her a sympathetic smile that if Lesedi had mentioned anyone else, I would have been receiving too. Even if I did know Neo, the the overall discussion only highlighted how in all my years at St Everfields institutions, I barely knew anyone.

There were certainly some downs to swimming professionally; a lack of a social life was one of them. Or maybe it was just me because Lesedi seemed just fine. Still, I covered my mouth to fake cough lightly as I remember what had taken place in the Kitchens.

Lesedi returned the favour of my elbow and dug hers into my side. "Shut up."

It was the first time I'd seen Jae look hesitant and I nodded at her to show we were done messing around. "Um, you do know he's a slag, right?"

What?

Both my eyebrows climbed up my forehead and stuck as Aerona nodded with what she was saying, cementing it as truth.

I knew he was a flirt, but a slag?

Lesedi only erupted into laughter and it caused her shades to fall over her eyes. "Lol! I would be stupid to not notice girlie, but thank you for the concern."

"But yeah," she leaned back in her seat with another snort. "In answer to your question, that's the baller I know."

An expression I couldn't make out perched on Jae's face as she watched Lesedi. "Good luck."

But it seemed my cousin could read it perfectly as she waved her hands. "Stop right there, it's not like that Jae!"

I felt like lifting a brow like Jae did when Aerona added to the conversation. "Well, I'm sure Lesedi can be the y/n that changes him."

I couldn't hold back my laughter after that. Lesedi's face and Aerona stifling her giggles opposite me made the action impossible. Even Jae was smiling.

Noor was the only one still struggling to follow the conversation, so Lesedi threw an arm around her shoulders. "We're best friends now Taleb."

The bronze girl's nose crinkled slightly as she softly joked with, "And who says I want to be your friend?"

That caused everyone to fall into giggles and I brought a finger up to wipe away a stray tear from my eye. There was a warmth in my chest at how well we all got along and I smiled at the girls before me.

I really hoped that we'd be solid group of friends.

EL SPEAKS !
↬ back to odette's pov and the girlies,, how do you feel abt the new info from this chapter? 🤭
fav character so far and why? 😻

i made an announcement on my mb a few days ago but im planning on posting a book on here about my testimony and would really be grateful if you had any questions for me to answer ect,, it stops me from waffling 😭 but anyways yeah be sure to check it out when its out 🤞🏽

AND TYSMM FOR 200k READS 🥹🥹🥹 aw im so happy for all the support ive had on this app from you lovelies mwah 🫶🏾🫶🏾

i really hope you enjoyed the chapter, please vote (by clicking on the star in the corner) and comment lovelies 🫶🏽

( posted; 17/02/24 )

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro