Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dylan shook his head, "That's, that's not a job for a nice girl like you. I heard that-" Mercy cut him off, "You don't know anything about me, Dylan. Don't pretend you do. Now, I'm a diligent worker and I'm quick. Efficient too. I need money and a way to occupy my time. Either you can say yes and drive me up there, or I can follow you up and set fire to your crops. How 'bout it?"

Seeing the steely look behind Mercy's smile, Dylan narrowed his eyes, matching her look, "I think you're bluffing. I could drive you right to the diner and leave." Mercy's smile got bigger, "Try me, babe. Let's see who's bluffing when neither of us have a job."

After a brief staring contest, Dylan sighed, nodding his head reluctantly, "Get in. I'll introduce you when we get there."

When they finally pulled up, Dylan looked over at Mercy. She was gorgeous, but the sharp angle of her jaw and the subtle jumping of the skin above her eye showed the cold labyrinth that hid beneath her creamy brown skin.

The two stepped out of Dylan's truck and made their way to the porch of a smallish cottage where two men sat. Dylan introduced Mercy before either parties could say anything, "Caleb, Gunner, this is Mercy. Mercy, this is Gunner and my uh, uncle, Caleb."

Mercy glared at Dylan before smiling at the two men and shaking their hands, "Hi, it's nice to meet the two of you." Caleb looked from Dylan to Mercy and back to Dylan, "Is this a new girlfriend or something?"

This time, Mercy beat Dylan to the punch, "In his dreams. I'm just staying at the motel and Dylan here offered me a job." She said, smiling and placing her hands in her back pockets as she looked at Dylan, who got his turn to glare, "I didn't offer her the job. She said she was gonna follow me and burn everything down if I didn't.

"Gunner, do you think you could show her around? I wanna talk to Caleb." The young boy nodded, smiling a bit at Mercy. As Dylan and Caleb walked off, Mercy sat beside Gunner, smiling widely, "Alright, Gunner. What's there fun to do up here?" She questioned laying her hand over his arm softly and suggestively, making Dylan narrow his eyes from his position far enough away from the two to not hear what was said.

Dylan didn't exactly understand his feelings toward Mercy yet, but he knew that whatever they were, they didn't want her sleeping with Gunner.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro