(2) Pilot: Searching

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

🔷 Before you read, please remember votes and comments = more chapters—no votes or asking me to "please update" comments = no chapters. Just follow me so you know I've updated instead of asking me to. Thank you.🔷

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

1st November 2005

Harriet wakes up in the backseat of the Impala the following morning, having lost a game of rock, paper, scissors against Sam after picking him up from his apartment. It only takes her a moment or so to realize where she actually was and why she was doing there in the first place. With a yawn, she recalled the events of last night. Knowing that it hadn't been in her imagination. Here they were together again, out on a hunt.

Sitting up, Harriet takes in her surroundings. Finding they are parked outside a small decrepit gas station. Dean was nowhere about, so he must be inside the gas station's store. Sam was still up front in the passenger seat, rifling through cassette tapes.

With a glance in his sister's direction and a slightly amused expression, Sam snickered, "Morning, Harry. Going for a new look today."

Oh no.

She caught her reflection in the rearview mirror and groaned in disbelief. Her long brunette hair looked as if it had got dragged through a bush backward as Sam continued to snicker, looking back to the cassette tapes. Heaving up her duffel off the floor to beside her. Harriet rummaged around for a hairbrush and hair tie. She opened the passenger door and got out to stretch her legs, running the brush through her knots. Once satisfied, she pulled it to one side and messily plaited it, securing the end with a hair tie.

Dean now makes his appearance from the store, his arms carrying a variety of junk food, "Hey! Either of you guys want any breakfast?" holding out some chocolate bars and some bags of chips.

Sam leaned out of the car and responded with slight disgust, "No, thanks."

"Do you have any pie?" Harriet asked, hopefully with a grin. If there was one thing she had in common with her older brother, it was for their love of junk food, especially pie.

Dean returned with a knowing smirk, "Of course, Harry and I got your favorite blueberry," he passed her the pie along with a napkin and a fork.

She returned him a grateful smile, "You're the best big brother in the world."

"Well, obviously," He said, passing his sister a soda and leaning against the car.

"So, how'd you pay for that stuff?" Sam now asked with a somewhat suspicious tone, "You and Dad still running credit card scams?" he continued to ask, looking through the box of cassette tapes.

"Yeah, well, hunting ain't exactly a pro ball career," Dean explained with a shrug, returning the nozzle to the pump, "Besides, all we do is apply. It's not our fault they send us the cards," he ended with a smirk as Harriet rolled her eyes before getting into the car and shutting the door.

"Yeah?" Sam asked sassily with a raised eyebrow, swinging his legs back inside the car and closing the door, "And what names did you write on the application this time?"

"Uh, Burt Aframian," Dean responded, getting into the driver's seat, dropping down his soda and chips beside him, "And his son Hector. Scored two cards out of the deal."

Harriet rolled her eyes with a mouthful of blueberry pie, knowing well enough that both she and Sam didn't entirely approve of it. Because honestly, the names her father and Dean came up with were ridiculous. Even if either she or Sam brought it up, they'd probably end up arguing about it anyway.

"That sounds about right," Sam offered with a scoff, as he continued to comb through his brother's music collection, "I swear, man, you've gotta update your cassette tape collection."

Putting down her pie, Harriet peered over Sam's shoulder, noticing the dozens of tapes inside the box that sat in Sam's lap. Some had album art, and others were hand-written labels.

"Why?" Dean now asked.

"Well, for one big bro, they're cassette tapes," Harriet leaned forwards and picked up a cassette out of the box waving it in front of his face, and bats her hand away before dropping it back in the box, "Would it kill you to use CDs or MP3s." 

"And also," Sam began to pick up a tape, each naming the band on them, "Black Sabbath? Motorhead? Metallica? It's the greatest hits of mullet rock."

Dean snatches the box out of his hand, "Well, house rules, Sammy," he now popped the tape into the player, "Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole."

"Does the same apply to the backseat?" Harriet asked as Dean dropped the cassette box into the box full of tapes.

He looks over his shoulder at her, "Backseat needs shut up too," turning back, Dean started the engine.

"You know, Sammy is a chubby twelve-year-old," Sam implied, only for Dean to blank him as he turned up the music and sang along, "It's Sam, okay?"

"And your taste in music still sucks," Harriet comments with a roll of her eyes.

"Sorry, I can't hear you. The music's too loud," Dean teases his siblings.

"Remember, as your twin, I reserve the right to call you Sammy," Harriet informed her brother.

"Of course, whatever you say, Harry," Sam responded with a smile on his features.

She playfully rolled her eyes as Dean began driving off towards the direction of Jericho. Knowing they were getting closer to their destination meant that Harriet required a quick change of clothes. Seeing as she was still wearing the clothes she'd been asleep in.

"Okay, now both of you keep your eyeballs on the road," she warned her brothers, "I'm about to get changed."

Unzipping her duffel bag, she pulled out a pair of jeans, socks, and a beige sweater. Let's say she was a master at the art of changing clothes without revealing an inch of her body. Wriggling into the jeans, she lets her PJ bottoms drop to the floor. Tugging off Sam's hoodie slipped on her sweater over her vest top, then put back on her socks and trainers. It was all done without revealing what she didn't want her brothers to see.

"Alright, it's safe," she told them.

-Supernatural-

They are almost most to Jericho and come upon a bridge. Harriet leaned forwards to get a closer look at it. There are two police cars parked and several officers mulling around the scene. The young woman frowned, now realizing they were on Centennial highway, the very same of all those disappearances that have taken place.

"Oh, well, this is just great," Harriet offered sarcastically.

Dean ignored her and pulled the Impala over, and the engine cut off. Opening the glove compartment, Dean pulled out a box full of fake ID cards with his and their dad's face on them. Selecting three, he handed one to Sam and one to Harriet.

Her eyes widen, and her mouth drops open just seeing the ID picture, "What the hell?" Her yearbook photo from senior year of high school staring back at her, and honest to god, she looks awful. She didn't know why dying her hair almost jet black at the time and having a straight fringe looked good.

Dean shrugged, "When I decided about coming to get you guys, I took the liberty of making some IDs for you. You're welcome. Now, alright. Let's go," he gets out of the car.

With a slight shake of her head, she gets out of the car. Trust her older brother to be that prepared in advance to make her and Sam fake IDs in the off chance that they'd agree to come with him. Harriet was still contemplating why she was here. Somehow she still couldn't believe how Dean talked her into this. Yet another part of her was thrilled at the expectation about going on a hunt. Even though she desired to have a more normal life, she sometimes did miss that thrill it gave her.

Okay, Harry, it's one job, she assured herself, Just one last job. What harm can it do?

They now walked towards the crime scene, where currently two police officers are inspecting what looked to be '78 Camaro, who hadn't noticed the siblings approaching. Harriet was now catching wind of the officer's conversation. That of a sheriff and an officer.

"No sign of struggle, no footprints, no fingerprints. Spotless. It's almost too clean."

The other officer let out a sigh, "So, this kid Troy. He's dating your daughter, isn't he?"

"Yeah."

"How's Amy doing?"

"She's putting up missing posters downtown."

Dean cleared his throat, gaining the officer's attention, "You fellas had another one like this just last month, didn't you?" he now questioned them.

The sheriff looked up with a quizzical gaze, "And who are you?"

"Federal Marshals," Dean informed the man was getting out his fake ID.

The sheriff peered at the badge as Harriet and Sam offered their most charming smiles as they showed off their badges. Both officers were still rather suspicious about it, yet Harriet couldn't understand why. Yes, of course, they were all relatively young and dressed in casual attire-nothing how a Federal Marshal should look.

"You three are a little young for marshals, aren't you?" the sheriff now questioned.

"Well, isn't that sweet of you," Harriet offered with a slight sweetness to her voice and perky smile upon her pink lips.

Dean now added with a small laugh throwing in his signature charming smile for good measure, "Thanks, that's awfully kind of you."

Harriet resisted the urge of rolling her eyes for her older brother coming off that cheesy, but she blew through it by sounding as natural and convincing as possible. Thank God for her taking drama club when she was in high school.

She began wandering towards the car because those officers were right about one thing: this car was spotless. Not a single sign of a kidnapping or a murder. Well, for one thing, these cops didn't have a clue about the things she and her brothers knew. Harriet could only think of a dozen monsters that could pull off something like this.

So in doing so, she turned to face them and asked, "You did have another one just like this, correct?"

"Yeah, that's right. About a mile up the road," The sheriff now stated, looking to the young brunette woman, "There've been others before that," Sam nodded, taking in this information.

"So, this victim, you knew him?" Sam now asked him. Harriet had to say she and he had slipped back into their roles with relative ease as if they hadn't left at all.

"Town like this, everybody knows everybody," the sheriff informed the siblings. Dean now began circling the car for a closer look around it.

"Any connection between the victims, besides that they're all men?" Harriet asked.

"No. Not so far as we can tell."

"So, what's the theory?" Sam went over towards Dean and the empty car.

"Honestly, we don't know," the sheriff offered with a shrug, "Serial murder? Kidnapping ring?"

"Well, that is exactly the kind of crack police work I'd expect out of you guys," Dean returned with a laugh and a playful smile. Earning him a stamped-on foot from Sam as he forcefully smiled, Harriet, spinning her head around with the slight whooshing sound of her plait and glaring at her brothers from where she stood before the sheriff.

With a small sigh of annoyance, she returned a glance in the officer's direction, deciding it would be best to get out of here before her dumbass older brother blew their cover because the last thing she and Sam wanted was to be locked up for impersonating federal officers.

"Thank you for your time," Sam returned politely as he began to walk away, "Gentlemen," he nodded to the rest. Harriet throws a pointed glare at her brothers as they walk past her. Watching them, she sees Dean hitting Sam around the back of his head, only for Harriet to roll her eyes in response. She could sense Dean wasn't entirely happy about treading on his feet by Sam.

"We'll give you a call if we have any other questions," Harriet offered kindly with a forceful smile. And in doing so, turned around, whipping her plaited, dark chestnut hair, and went to follow after her brothers over to Baby.

"Ow! What was that for?" Sam muttered angrily, rubbing the back of his head.

Dean now asked in a scolding manner, "Why'd you have to step on my foot?"

"Why do you have to talk to the police like that?" Sam retorted sassily.

"Hey! Will, you guys, quit being such bratty little kids!?" she snapped, coming to stand before her brothers, pointing her finger at them, only to glare at her in response before continuing their argument.

"Come on," Dean now scoffed, "They don't know what's going on. We're all alone on this."

"Even so, there was no need for you to be rude to the police," Harriet interjected.

"I mean, if we're going to find Dad, we've got to get to the bottom of this thing ourselves," Dean tries arguing his case.

In that instant, someone cleared their throat, making the siblings turn to face who it was. It was the sheriff they'd had just been questioning with two men wearing FBI jackets over their suits. It only took Harriet a moment to realize that these guys were the real deal.

Excellent, she sarcastically thought

"Can I help you three?" the sheriff asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, sir, we were just leaving," Dean responded quickly, "Agent Mulder. Agent Scully," he gave each one of them a nod just as they walked past them on their way to the scene. The three siblings now began heading towards the Impala.

"So, that went well," Harriet offered sarcastically as they all got into Baby.

With a roll of his eyes, Dean started up the Impala, "Oh, yeah defiantly. But look on the plus side, we got some info out of it, so we know where to start searching."

Harriet raised an eyebrow, "We do?"

"Well yeah. The victim's girlfriend, Amy."

-Supernatural-

They walk through the town when spotting a young woman hanging up missing posters. Her hair was midnight black, had a piercing on her bottom lip, multiple bracelets almost covering both her arms. Harriet thought the amount of eyeliner and mascara she had on was way too much because she could barely see the girl's eyes.

"I'll bet you that's her," Dean nodded towards the young woman, and they walked up to her.

"Excuse me?" Harriet asked, getting her attention, "Is your name, Amy?"

"Yeah," Amy complied in a quiet yet meek tone.

"Yeah, Troy told us about you. We're his uncles and aunt. I'm Harriet; this is Sammy and Dean," she introduced them to her.

"He never mentioned you to me," Amy returned, not sounding impressed, turning to walk away, and they walked with her.

"Well, that's Troy, I guess," Dean now scoffed, "We're not around much. We're up in Modesto."

"So, we're looking for him too, and we're kinda asking around," Sam explained that he was just as concerned as for Troy being missing as well.

When a young blonde woman comes up to Amy, resting a hand gently on her arm, "Hey, are you okay?" giving the three strangers somewhat questionable looks.

"Yeah," she confirmed with a nod.

"Is it okay if we ask you guys a couple of questions?" Harriet asked with some sincerity in her soft yet gravelly voice as she took a step forward.

About a couple of minutes later, they were sat in the booth of a diner. Dean, Sam, and Harriet, on the end, are sat opposite Amy, and the blonde whose name they learned was Rachel.

"I was on the phone with Troy. He was driving home. He said he would call me right back, and...he never did," Amy recalls the night her boyfriend went missing.

"He didn't say anything strange or out of the ordinary?" Sam inquired to her.

"No," she shook her head, "Nothing I can remember."

Harriet's eyes instantly drew to the chain Amy was wearing as she fiddled with it between her fingers. The design of it was simple, with a pentagram held within hanging on it. Just like the one Dean had gotten her a couple of years back when she was 16, "Cute necklace. I have one almost like it," she pulled her necklace out from underneath her jumper.

Amy smiled down at hers fondly for a moment, "Troy gave it to me. Mostly to scare my parents..." she lets out a small laugh before continuing, "...with all that devil stuff."

Harriet giggled slightly and looked down, then back up again, "Actually, it means just the opposite. A pentagram is a protection against evil. Really powerful. I mean, if you believe in that kind of thing."

Dean rolled his eyes for his sister being such a show-off, "Okay. Thank you, Unsolved Mysteries."

Harriet shot Dean a scathing look in which he returned a glare. With a sigh, he returned his attention to Amy and her friend Rachel, taking his arm off the seat from behind Sam and leaned forwards, "Here's the deal, ladies," he now addressed, elbows resting upon the table, "The way Troy disappeared, something's not right. So if you've heard anything..." Both young women shared a knowing look before turning back to the three people before them.

"What is it?" Harriet asked; she could tell both girls looked uncomfortable about it.

"Well, it's just..." Rachel began to start only for her pause in thought, considering her words for a moment as if not wanting to come off sounding crazy, "I mean, with all these guys going missing, people talk."

"What do they talk about?" all three siblings asked in chorus. Harriet shook her head. It was just as weird back then when they used to do it before she and Sam headed to Stanford. But here they were a few hours into a hunt and already back in sync.

But the girl before them shrugged, thinking nothing of it, and continued with her response, "It's this local legend. This one girl? She got murdered out on Centennial, like decades ago," Dean notices his siblings nodding along, attentively, "Well, supposedly she's still out there," the twins nodded, "She hitchhikes, and whoever picks her up? Well, they disappear forever."

Harriet raised an eyebrow and shared a look with her brothers. All three of them seemed to be on the same train of thought as each other.

-Supernatural-

Harriet, Dean, and Sam headed to the local library for research into any of the deaths Amy's friend Rachel had described to them. Dean was currently sitting before a computer, the web browser open to that of the Jericho Herald as he typed in: 'Female murder hitchhiking.' Hitting go, he got no results. With a frown, he replaced 'hitchhiking' with 'Centennial Highway' but again yielded no results.

"Let me try," Sam insisted, going to grab the mouse from his brother only to have it smacked away.

"I got it," Dean argued, just before Sam shoved his chair away from the computer. Harriet rolled her eyes and shook her head at the privilege of her sharing her genes with such idiotic brothers, "Dude!"

As Dean rolled away, he unintentionally bumped into his sister's legs, "Watch where you're going, dumbass!" she shoved him away.

"God, you're both such control freaks," Harriet heard him muttering before hitting Sam on the shoulder.

But Sam shook it off and continued to ask his siblings, "So angry spirits are born out of violent death, right?"

"Yeah," Dean offered, now sounding a little uninterested.

"Well, maybe it's not murder."

Harriet now understood where her brother was going with this. Watching as Sam replaces 'murder' with 'suicide.' This time, the search paid up, with the article title: 'Suicide on Centennial,' she and Dean leaned over either side of his shoulders to have a read "Good thinking, Sammy."

A local woman's drowning death was ruled a suicide, the county Sheriff's Department said earlier today. Constance Welch, 24, of 4636 Breckenridge Road, leaped off Sylvania Bridge at mile 33 of Centennial Highway and subsequently drowned last night.

Deputy J. Pierce told reporters that, hours before her death, Ms. Welch logged a call with 911 emergency services. In a panicked tone, Ms. Welch described how she found her two young children, 5 and 6, in the bathtub, after leaving them alone for several minutes. She reported that their complex...

What happened to my children was a terrible accident. And it must have been too much for my wife. Our babies were gone, and Constance just couldn't bear it," said husband Joseph Welch. "Now, I ask that you all please respect my privacy during this trying time."

At the time of the children's death and Ms. Welch's subsequent suicide, Mr. Welch was at the Frontier auto salvage yard, where he works the graveyard shift as associate manager.

"Connie might have been quiet, but she was the sweetest, most caring girl I ever knew," said Deanna Kripke, a neighbor. "She just doted on those children."

"This was 1981. Constance Welch, twenty-four years old, jumps off Sylvania Bridge, drowns in the river," Sam read off the article.

"Does it say why she did it?" Dean asked, now sounding more interested in the case. Or what Harriet liked to consider, no longer pouting like a big baby about having Sam take the computer away from him.

"Yeah," Sam responded with some slight sadness on his face, "An hour before they found her, she called 911. Her two little kids are in the bathtub. She leaves them alone for a minute, and when she comes back, they aren't breathing. Both die."

"Poor Constance," Harriet offered in a quiet yet sad tone. At the exact moment, Dean raised his eyebrows at one of the pictures before him on the article. That of Joseph Welch standing before a bridge.

" 'Our babies were gone, and Constance just couldn't bear it,' said husband, Joseph Welch." Sam quoted the article.

"The bridge look familiar to you?" Dean now asked his siblings, gesturing at the screen. Harriet took a closer look at the image of the man standing beside the bridge and realized it was the very same one Troy had disappeared from.

-Supernatural-

They wait just until nightfall to go and investigate the bridge. Because the last thing they wanted to deal with was more cops and awkward questions, all of them piled out of the Impala where it was parked right down at the end, walking along the bridge in search of clues of Troy or their father. But as far as that went, Harriet couldn't spot a thing.

Dean now stopped, and siblings leaned over the railing, peering into the dark, murky depths of the river below, "So this is where Constance took the swan dive."

Harriet stared into the river a few moments longer. The water didn't look at all pleasant in the slightest, and I couldn't imagine why someone would ever consider wanting to dive into it. Hell, even she wouldn't either. She was a little suicidal but not crazy enough to jump into that mud bath of water.

"Do you think Dad would have been here?" Sam asked, looking in Dean's direction.

"Well, he's chasing the same story, and we're chasing him," he responded with a nod before continuing to walk on with his siblings following behind him.

"Okay, so now what?" Harriet now asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Now we keep digging until we find him. Might take a while."

Harriet instantly frowned and shared equal looks of utter disbelief with her twin brother, both now stopping in their tracks because Dean was going back on his word

"Dean," Sam sighed, "We told you, we've gotta get back by..."

"Monday and Tuesday, right," Dean interrupted, turning to face them, "Your interview and exam. I forgot. You're both serious about this, aren't you? You just think that you're what gonna become some doctor or lawyer?" he gestured at them both, "Marry your girl?" Dean glanced back at Sam.

"Dean, quit it," Harriet warned, hands on her hips glaring at him.

"Maybe. Why not?" Sam continued to argue.

"Does Jessica know the truth about you?" Dean looked to Sam and then to Harriet, "Do your friends at Stanford know about the things you've done?" Both of them stepped closer to him,

"No, and they're never going to know," Sam returned sharply, taking a step closer to Dean. Harriet pulled the back of his jacket, trying her best to hold him back.

"Well, that's healthy," Dean returned, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "You can both pretend all you want. But sooner or later, you're going to have to face up to who you are," he turned away and kept on walking.

"And who's that genius?" Harriet called after him, her and Sam charging after him

"You're one of us."

"No!" the female Winchester spat angrily, her and Sam coming to block his path, "No, we're nothing like you! Because this won't be our life!" she now gestured at the air around her.

Once Harriet and Sam were on a rampage, there wasn't anything they'd let stand in their way. Both were equally alike, especially having become just as arrogant as their father at times...Dean has pointed it out to them before, but that was something they'd never admit.

Dean returned with sharp eyes with an authoritative tone that almost matched their father's, "You have a responsibility to...."

But before even Harriet had the chance to retort, Sam beats her straight to it, continuing with the argument, "To Dad? And his crusade?" he scoffed bitterly, "If it weren't for pictures me and Harry wouldn't even know what Mom looks like."

"Sam. Honest to God. Please shut up," Harriet pleaded through gritted teeth, knowing that bringing the subject of their mom up to an argument would make things worse.

At that moment, Dean was on the verge of snapping soon as their mom was brought up, "And what difference would it make? Even if we find the thing that killed her, Mom's gone. And she isn't coming back," Sam concluded, that was the final breaking point for Dean.

Dean firmly took his brother by the collar of his jacket and shoved him up against the railing, "Don't talk about her like that."

At that moment, a glimpse of white catches Harriet's eye. Turning around, she sees the most beautiful young woman, with dark wavy hair and in a white, old-fashioned dress a few feet away, standing upon the railing, "Uh, guys?"

Dean let go of Sam turned to witness what their sister was seeing. The woman glanced at the siblings, turned away, and stepped off the edge. Harriet's eyes widened, and the siblings ran over to where she had been. As they now peered over the railing into the river, only to find...that she nowhere to be seen.

"Where'd she go?" Dean asked.

"I don't know," Sam responded with a shrug.

Suddenly the roaring sound of Baby's engine starting up reaches their ears, down from the far end of the bridge. All three siblings turned to face the car's headlights in a full-beam, shining across the bridge.

"What the-" Dean is left somewhat speechless at what he's currently witnessing.

Harriet hadn't even realized that her mouth was hanging open. It quickly shut it closed but still stared on with utter shock and confusion.

"Who's driving your car?" Sam asked, just as puzzled about as his sister.

Dean wordlessly reaches into his jacket pocket pulled out his keys to the Impala, jingling them before his siblings.

The Impala jerked forwards slightly, Harriet's eyes widening, and is frozen in shock only for a moment. She felt Sam grabbing her arm and tugging her along as her brothers began running. Snapping herself out of her surprise ran alongside them.

The car is barrelling towards them at high speed, but Harriet knew it would be impossible to outrun her. Baby was way too fast. She knew there was only one option to save their skins and find their father.

"Guys, the railing!" She shouts to her siblings.

Her brothers understood the idea. Turned at an angle towards the railing, just as the car was almost closing in on them, they all dived off the bridge.

Graphic by Winter326

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro