Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

【 𝐈𝐍𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 】

xi. the showdown

VERITY RAN AS FAST AS SHE COULD,
HEART BEATING a quick staccato in her chest. The tunnels were like a winding maze, a seemingly endless labyrinth of shadows and stagnant water.

"Stan?" She called, voice rising in hysteria. "STANLEY?"

She opened her mouth to call again, but was cut off by a scream of pure, unadulterated terror, so anguished that she began to sprint blindly, knowing who had made that sound and why.

She could hear the others somewhere behind her, calling her name along with Stan's, but she didn't stop. She knew that if Stan died, a part of her would surely die too. Another scream rang through the tunnel, and Verity realised that it was closer this time.
She turned one last corner, almost tripping on the uneven floor, and came face to face with Stan's worst fear.

The woman was pale and gaunt, dead eyes set high in a grotesquely misshapen face. Her limbs were unnaturally long, and she wore a long black dress, almost like a robe. She was hunched over, her jaws clamped tightly on the figure on the ground-

Verity's stomach lurched, and bile rose to the back of her throat. As though sensing she was there, the woman turned her hideous face towards the girl, smiling slightly. It was only when Verity saw the blood running from the creature's fangs that she snapped out of it.

"Get away from him," she said, her voice coming out as a whisper.

The thing made a sound almost like laughter, and Verity's eyes narrowed with fury.

"I said, get away from him!"

Footsteps echoed in the tunnel behind her, and she knew that the others were almost there.

Reaching into her bag, Verity slid her weapon out into the half-light of the tunnel. The woman's eyes shifted slightly, and she nervously loosened her grip a fraction.

"If you don't get the fuck away from him, I swear to God, I will put this through your fucking head, understand?!" Verity raised the axe, light glinting off the cruel blade.

The boys charged into the tunnel, but Verity didn't look at them. She kept her eyes trained on the thing in front of her, ready to attack.

"What the fuck is that?" Richie gasped, the beam coming from his flashlight illuminating the grisly scene.

Verity stepped forward, trying to walk straight as her knees trembled furiously. She brandished the axe again, and this time the creature lifted it's mouth from Stan's face, leaving him gasping and bloody. It backed into another tunnel, hissing and baring it's needle-like teeth.

The woman disappeared from view, and instead the clown appeared, Stan's blood still staining It's mouth. It grinned at them widely, before vanishing into the shadows.

In a heartbeat, Verity and the others rushed to Stan's side, calling his name.

"Stan, Stan are you-" Verity tried to put her hand on his arm, wanting to comfort him, thankful he was still alive.

He scrambled away from them, his face contorted. "NO, NO! YOU LEFT ME! You didn't stay with me, you're not my friends! You made me go into Neibolt!" He broke off, shuddering as sobs wracked his body.

"Stan, we're sorry, so sorry," Richie murmured, putting an arm around the distressed boy.

Gently, not wanting to hurt him, Verity put her arms around Stan, holding him softly as though she was afraid he was going to break; a china boy, so beautifully fragile. She held him like that for a few moments, whispering into his hair, telling him over and over that it was okay, that she was there.

"You know we'd never leave you, Stan," she said softly, and the others nodded.

"You're okay Stan, it's gonna be alright," Mike soothed.

"Guys," Eddie said suddenly, looking up. "Where did Bill go?"

Panic seized them once more, knowing that the boy could have been anywhere in the winding tunnels.

"Bill? Bill?" Eddie called, his words bouncing off the stone walls before fading.

With a shared look of grim determination, they helped Stan up and plunged into the tunnels, going ever-deeper into the heart of Derry.

Verity didn't let go of Stan's hand once, guiding him around twists and turns as they ran.

At one point, they reached a section of graywater, its putrid smell making Verity gag. Eddie looked as though he was about to black out, his small face pale and serious in the glow of the flashlights.

"Bill?" He called again, spluttering when he fell into the water.

"Come on, get out of there dude, that's graywater," Richie said, helping him up.

"Wait," Eddie said quickly, staring at the murky water.

As though on cue, the dark shapes in the water floated up, revealing themselves as severed heads. They grinned up at the screaming kids, faces in various stages of decay.

"GO!" Verity shrieked, desperately wanting to run as far as she could.

They scrambled through the tunnels, only slowing down when they were far away from the gruesome sight.

The enclosed space gradually opened up into a bigger room, the walls spreading outwards into darkness.

"Bev?" Mike whispered, holding his flashlight aloft. "Are you there?"

Verity looked up, stopping dead in her tracks. "Uh, guys,"

Beverly floated in midair as though suspended by wires. Her arms hung limply by her sides, and there was an odd expression on her face, one of vacant fear.

"Holy shit," Richie whispered softly. "Uh, h-how is she in the air?"

"I don't know," Verity whispered back, her eyes fixed on the floating girl.

"Guys," Eddie said faintly, pointing above them. "A-Are those-?"

Dark shapes could be seen floating high near the cavernous ceiling, and Verity's stomach lurched when she realised what they were.

"The missing kids," Stan said shakily. "floating.."

"We need to help Beverly," Ben said, tearing his eyes away from the kids' motionless forms.

Without saying a word, Mike and Richie hoisted Ben up as he tried desperately to get Bev down.

"Just lemme grab her," he gasped, straining up to reach her legs.

Catching hold, he pulled her down.
"Bev?" He asked tentatively. "Beverly?"

No response.

"Why isn't she waking up?!" He cried frantically, his voice rising. He shook her, but her head only lolled onto her shoulder.

"What's wrong with her?! Beverly, please!"

The others watched him silently, faces grim.

"Come on.." Ben murmured. His expression changed, becoming stoic. He paused, then leaned in suddenly, kissing Bev.

"Uh-" Verity blinked.

Eddie's mouth dropped open. "Whoa whoa!"

"Ew," Richie said loudly.

There was a terrible moment where nothing happened, and Verity feared that they'd never get the other girl back. But then, Beverly gasped, blinking the haze out of her eyes.

Ben stood back in astonishment, eyes wide.

"January embers.." Bev said, her voice barely a whisper.

Ben smiled with relief, a blush creeping into his cheeks. "My heart burns there too,"

"Jesus, fuck," Richie said, grinning as he pulled them into a tight hug.

They stood like that for some time, until Beverly broke away, concern written on her face.

"Where's Bill?"

"We don't know," Verity confessed. "we just looked around and he was gone.."

Mike nodded behind them. "Guys, I think I can hear voices from over there,"

The group edged warily through the piles of junk; old clothes, broken toys. Discarded remnants of the kids who would never again walk the streets of Derry.

Richie stopped dead, staring at the figures in front of them. "Guys,"

Bill stood with his back to them, facing a small boy. The boy's face was grimy, his once-bright green boots dull. Verity noticed with a pang that one of his arms was missing, but his yellow rain slicker was still recognisable. Georgie.

"-take me home, Billy," He said tearfully, lip trembling. "I wanna go home. I miss you and I wanna be with mom and dad,"

"I want more than anything for you to be home," Bill said, his voice breaking. "With mom, and dad.. I miss you so much."

"I love you, Billy,"

"I love you too-"

Bill stepped forward, and raised the gun.

"-but you're not Georgie." He pulled the trigger.

Georgie fell as though in slow-motion, his body hitting the ground with a hard thud. Verity couldn't help but notice with odd detachment as the paper boat fluttered from his tiny hand.

"Bill-" Mike choked out, eyes wide.

Suddenly, the body began to shake wildly, thrashing and howling. Bill backed away, hands shaking.

It was like a sped-up video of a plant growing; an arm pushed its way through the ruined skin of Georgie's shoulder, growing until it was whole.
The legs stretched, and the torso heaved, morphing grotesquely as the yellow slicker changed to a horribly familiar silver clown suit with orange pom-poms.

It went still, lying motionless on the floor. The only sound that could be heard was the Losers' ragged breathing. Then, with a wrenching gasp, It sat up, moving like a huge puppet.

"Bill, kill it!" Eddie screamed, but Bill could only look on with horror as Pennywise met his gaze.

The others began to scream too, calling desperately as their leader stood, frozen in terror.

"Bill PLEASE!" Verity begged.

Bill raised the gun, his expression determined.

"It's not loaded.." Mike said quietly, and Verity turned to him in shock, her face going white. "Bill, it's not loaded!"

The gun went off again with a bang, and the clown rocked back, deep cracks forming where the bullet had gone in.

"Oh, fuck," Richie said in disgust.

Pennywise began to shake violently, as thick, viscous blood spewed from the wound.

The Losers scattered, running in all directions as the creature bore down on them. Bill, however, stood in place, whether out of fear or bravery, Verity never knew.

She held onto Stan's arm with one hand, the axe with the other, not knowing whether to fight or flee.

Richie's mouth dropped open, his eyes huge and scared behind his glasses. "Bill, watch out!!"

Bill held the gun up just in time for the clown's jaws to clamp down, almost taking his hand.

It roared madly, growling at Bev as she tried to hit it with a metal spike.

Mike advanced, holding an old pipe with steady hands. He raised it over his head, just as It lashed out at him, sending him hurtling through the air and into the wall with a sickening thud.

His friends began to panic, crying his name to no response.

Bill got behind It, jamming the pipe into the creature's mouth roughly. Pennywise spun and thrashed, but the boy stayed put. Richie jumped on too and began pummeling It's exposed flesh. Stan held on to one of the clown's hands, and Ben bit the other, biting down hard with a steely look in his eyes.

With another roar, It knocked Stan down and sent Richie sprawling on the ground. Ben spun to the floor, immediately getting up to go again.

"Stan!" Verity ran to him, searching for any injuries. "Oh God, are you hurt?"

He shook his head, his eyes meeting hers. "I'm okay, don't worry,"

"You sure?"

He gave her his trademark look, rolling his eyes. She smiled, because even then, as long as he was okay, she knew that she would be too.

Stan looked past her, the smile falling from his face.

"Stan? What-?" She turned, the question falling flat.

It had managed to get hold of Bill, and had him in a fierce grip, smiling dementedly. It's arm was around his throat, and his breath came in harsh gasps. The boy motioned to where they had come in, managing to say one word. "Go."

"No, don't! Let him go!" Beverly said desperately, her eyes on Bill.

"No!" It snarled, backing away. "I'll take him! I'll take all of you! And I'll feast on your flesh as I feed on your fear."

It held up a gloved finger, It's horrid tone making Verity feel sick. "Or.. you'll just leave us be. I will take him, only him, and I will have my long rest, and you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives.." It sneered. "Until old age takes you back to the weeds."

"Leave," Bill croaked urgently. "I'm the one who dragged you all into this.. I'm s-s-sorry,"

"S-s-sorry," It mocked, grinning.

At this, Verity raised the axe threateningly, ready to bash the clown's face in.
Won't be grinning when there's a hole in his fucking head, will he? She thought, then let out a noise of annoyance as Stan held her back, shaking his head.

Bill's eyes screwed shut. "Go!"

His friends were silent.

"Guys, we can't just leave him here!" Bev said, looking at them in shock.

Richie spoke up, his voice uncharacteristically bitter. "I told you Bill. I fucking told you. I don't want to die. It's your fault."

He began to pace, counting on his fingers. "You punched me in the face, you made me walk through shitty water, you took me to a fuckin' crackhead house! And now.."

He reached into the pile of junk, sliding a baseball bat from the debris. ".. I'm gonna have to kill this fucking clown."

The smile slid from the clown's face, and Verity felt a stab of spiteful glee.

Richie hefted the bat, staring It down coolly. "WELCOME TO THE LOSERS' CLUB, ASSHOLE!"

It charged at him. He swung the bat, and landed a hit on the side of It's head.

"Nice one, Rich!" Verity called, a laugh escaping her.

As though on some secret cue, the kids ran at the clown, roaring and brandishing their weapons.
Mike jabbed at It, falling back as It's jaws opened to reveal dozens of burned hands, the skin charred and raw.

Stan grabbed a piece of metal and sliced It's arm, making It release Mike. Verity's feeling of pride was replaced by terror as It's face changed into the woman from the painting, her grey eyes full of malice. It ran at Stan, and without thinking, Verity swung the axe.

The blade buried itself in It's abdomen with a horrible muffled sound, and It screeched in agony. She tore it out and went for another blow, stopping short as It's face changed again.

Mrs. Andrews smiled at the girl, her flesh crawling with maggots.
"Getting into trouble again, I see," the hag said disapprovingly.

Verity shook her head mutely, her courage ebbing away.

"Well then dear, I suppose I'll have to teach you a lesso-" It broke off, spinning away from the girl as Stan hit It again.

She let out a breath, giving him a wobbly smile. "Thanks,"

He looked at her intently. "Come on V, we've got a clown to finish."

It's arms had changed into sharp points, and It was chasing Mike as he desperately tried to get away.
He rolled, dodging the razor-sharp talons as the clown laughed insanely.

Then, taking them all by surprise, Ben lunged forward, driving the pointed end of the pole into It's chest. Blood flew out of the wound, and It's roars rang through the air.

"YES! GO ON HAYSTACK!!" Richie yelled.

It morphed into a mummy, leathery skin wrapped in dusty bandages. The bandages wound around Ben's neck, cutting off his cries.

Mike got to his feet, winding a long loop of chains around his hand, his face set. He swung them, emitting a satisfying noise as they hit It square in the face.

The kids circled It, darting in and out to deliver blows. Richie gave the creature a nasty hit with his bat. Verity opened another gash with the axe. It choked as Bill hit it, face changing into that of the leper's.

The leper's ruined face heaved, mouth opening to spew vomit- all over Eddie.

The boy spat, his face darkening in anger. "I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!" He hit It across the face, screaming profanities while he did so.

It spun back, changing once more. It now wore the face of a man, maybe in his late forties. Verity frowned, then realised who it was when she saw Beverly's face.

He leered at the other girl, crooning softly. "Hey, Bevvie. Are you still my little g-"

Bev drove the metal spike into It's mouth, her expression furious.

It let out a gargled cry, spitting out the spike as Bev backed away.

"Oh shit," Eddie muttered.

They advanced on the clown, their weapons raised, their eyes full of steel. It scrambled away from them, whimpering piteously.

"That's why you didn't kill Beverly.." Bill said softly. "'Cause s-s-she wasn't afraid." He looked at his friends, standing battered and bruised behind him. "And we aren't either. Not anymore. Now you're the one who's afraid. Because you're gonna starve."

It flipped over the concrete ledge, the tunnel below leading into darkness.
"He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghost.."

Stan handed Bill his piece of metal, nodding wordlessly.

"He thrusts his fists against the p-p-post-" It trailed off, eyeing Bill fearfully.

Bill raised the weapon slowly, ready to strike.

It stared up at them pathetically, small cracks forming in It's skin. It's face broke apart, the fragments floating around like dust in the air.

Before It fell into the darkness, seemingly forever, It whispered a single word, which would stick with Verity for years to come.
"Fear.."

As always, it was Richie who broke the silence hanging over them.
"Well, I know what I'm doing for my summer experience essay."

Verity laughed shakily. Without speaking, Stan pulled her into a hug. They held each other, shaken and bloodied, but alive.

"Guys," Eddie said, his eyes cast above them. "The kids are floating down.."

They stood motionless, watching with grim fascination as the still forms of the missing children floated gently down.

Verity looked at Bill, his face ashen. Following his gaze, she noticed what he was looking at; a small rainslicker, the yellow material faded and grimy.

Bill stumbled forward as though in a daze, kneeling to pick it up. He looked at the collar, and Verity could see the words written on the tag.
Georgie Denbrough.

Richie knelt beside his friend, putting his arms around him silently. The others grouped around Bill, holding him as he sobbed, clutching the slicker tightly to his chest.
They stayed with him for some time, not speaking, for they were there, and that was enough.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro