21. Bernardt's story 1.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Bernardt's story begins when he meets Tim at the long dining table at Zack's place. He is nervous because he never goes anywhere without his cat, but he cannot bring it to Zack's because Zack is allergic to cats.

His cat was completely hairless, so he hardly understood how his boss was allergic. When Zack first saw his beloved Katy, his eyes started to water, and he sneezed, which was a typical allergic reaction. He had to leave the cat alone in his beachfront villa. Of course, the staff was there, but Katy considered them intruders and would jump on them from various places, scratching their clothes. She had even scratched one cleaner's face, so they had to ensure Katy wasn't home when the staff was working.

So now the cat was all alone, making our inventor very irritable. He fiddled with his phone every minute, watching the live feed to see what his little Katy was doing. His irritation wasn't helped by Zack keeping him waiting, and he was seated at an uncomfortable dining table. He couldn't understand why there wasn't a waiting room with a sofa where people would comfortably be waiting. Moreover, a strange guy in a lab uniform had joined him.

The lab had been closed for a long time, and there might only be guards there, so how did someone get a uniform? Could Zack be spying on him? Were they inspecting the lab?

He had done everything to ensure Zack wouldn't suspect him, nodding when asked to stay on the island. Even though he had finished the work, the teleportation device was ready. He understood that the authorities needed this small teleportation device because they funded its development.

However, despite being given a luxury villa on the beach, he had difficulty accepting that he felt like a prisoner and no one could tell him when he could leave. The beautiful surroundings only highlighted his lack of freedom, making him feel more trapped than ever.

He had expected something else. Maybe fame? Recognition as a great inventor, with his name living on, like Professor Walnut, who even had a village named after him. He had started developing, or instead improving, the teleportation gate so that teleportation would be available to everyone, freeing them from government control. But look, things hadn't turned out as he imagined; they wanted to keep this device under their control too, and that's why they were holding him here, despite the luxurious surroundings making it seem like a reward.

And that's precisely why he sought contact with the resistance. He had already sent the prototype to them, but something must have gone wrong because now Zack had summoned him, and the agent with Zack had a black briefcase just like the one he had handed over. They couldn't find out he had willingly given it to them; Max had promised that no one would find out what happened. They believed the resistance had stolen from him. So, he wasn't worried about the briefcase, but the lab uniform concerned him.

Bernardt was fidgeting nervously, thinking about barging into Zack's office and telling him not to mess around with him. Why summon him if he was going to keep him waiting? What would he say—that he had an urgent golf game? It better not mention the cat since Zack hated cats.

Finally, the glass door opened, and Zack greeted him loudly. But first, he introduced the person waiting with him—Tim. What an idiotic name! And how rude to barge in ahead of him.

After the unpleasant incident, Zack finally attended to him. They shook hands, but he noticed his boss's eyes were already tearing up, and he sneezed twice.

"Man! I can smell the cat on you! Eventually, I won't be able to summon you because of the scent in your clothes..."

"We could talk over the phone. I wouldn't have to come here in person..." Bernardt tried to negotiate, as it would also be better for him not to leave the cat alone.

"That's not possible; everything is bugged. And it's not just one resistance group we have now; they're popping up like mushrooms." He sneezed twice again.

"Bless you!" Bernardt said, but Zack just wiped his eyes and nodded in thanks. Bernardt couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. Zack's allergic reaction was a constant reminder of the sacrifice he had to make for his work.

"I'll keep this short because this is getting awkward. It's about the prototype. Did you know it was stolen and ended up with the FYI organization?"

"Stolen from the lab? But it's guarded! How on earth did that happen? You said nothing could be taken out of there. They didn't even let me in!" Bernardt tried to feign surprise, his heart pounding in his chest.

"Yes, yes, but that's not the point. My two people here have retrieved it, so it's back with us." He pointed to the black briefcase.

"Oh, well, that's great! But why did you summon me?"

"There are certain rumors that you helped get this briefcase to the resistance. Of course, I didn't believe it for a minute. However, I would like to request documentation for the teleportation device. I want to keep it to ensure it doesn't leave the island." Zack's words only fueled Bernardt's growing suspicion.

Bernardt didn't like this situation. "Yes, I have it all documented. I can give it to you, of course." He knew he was only safe if he cooperated and did everything they expected of him, a realization that made him feel even more trapped.

"Great. I won't take up any more of your time. Can you bring it tomorrow?" Zack sneezed again.

"Sure, or rather no. You see, I need to review it and add a few calculations. The final touches... to make it clear for an average scientist too... I'll be here with it on Monday morning..."

"There aren't any copies of it, right? I don't want any copies. I want the original and only document!"

"Of course, of course!" Bernard nodded and wondered if Zack was allergic to him, not the cat. And what if Zack only found him helpful as long as he had the document? If he believed the rumors? And once he handed over the document, would Zack have him killed?

With these thoughts, he got into the car sent for him. He didn't drive himself, and the driver was very talkative. On the way there, he had asked all sorts of questions about his cat, and Bernardt had chatted amiably then. But now, he wished the driver was far away and pretended to have a terrible headache to avoid conversation.

Bernardt stepped into his house with a trembling stomach, sensing that his cat would be angry for being left alone for so long. He headed straight to the kitchen to open a treat, hoping to make amends.

"Katy!" he called, holding her small bowl. Nothing, not even a sound. It seemed she was upset, poor thing.

The cameras on his phone were motion-activated, set to switch on when there was movement. He couldn't remember why he'd configured them that way, but it seemed logical not to disturb the camera while the cat slept. As he toggled his phone, no motion was detected, so he had to check the rooms himself.

But he stopped short in the living room. The first thing he noticed was the curtain and the drapes. When he had left, they were still hanging on the windows, but now they lay on the floor, shredded to pieces.

The curtains and his favorite armchair, where he watched his favorite shows, were torn apart. The armrests and cushions were slashed beyond recognition. How could such a small cat cause so much destruction?

"Katy!" he called again, more impatiently this time. The cat was still nowhere to be found, and now he started to worry. He frantically ran through the rooms, only to hear a strange noise from one of the bathrooms. Opening the door to the powder room, he almost fell back in surprise. Katy was sitting in the toilet bowl, clinging with her front paws, unable to escape.

Bernardt quickly lifted her out, not caring that he got soaked. The poor cat was trembling, barely able to make a sound.

"What happened? Were you being naughty? Didn't I tell you the bathroom is off-limits?" he said, grabbing a towel from the cupboard to wrap her up and dry her off. Katy hated water, always needing a tranquilizer for baths.

Looking into his cat's eyes, he saw the reproach in her gaze and knew it would take a long time to make it up to her. He had already forgotten the chaos in the living room.

He checked her body and legs for any injuries. "Does anything hurt? I know you hate the vet, but I must call her!"

Katy meowed as if she understood what was coming.

"What happened here?" asked the vet when she saw the wrecked living room.

"I had to leave her alone, and it seems she didn't handle it well," Bernhardt explained.

"Did you give her a tranquilizer? You know I won't go near her without it." She only moved when Bernardt nodded. "Don't get me wrong, but she has behavioral issues. It would help if you thought about some things. This cat takes up all your time. My niece, who you went out with once, keeps asking when you'll call her back. What was wrong with her? You can tell me now!"

"Ahh, you know, Katy didn't like her..."

"That's what I'm talking about! This cat isn't normal! She fell into the toilet bowl. And how couldn't she get out?"

Daniela approached the cat cautiously, knowing she was sedated. She also checked her thoroughly. "She's fine! She could have gotten out if she wanted; she's strong!"

"Her paws slipped on the wet tiles, and she might have been shocked. You know she hates water!"

"Shall I help bathe her while she's still groggy?" the doctor asked.

"Yeah, could you? I'll order something for dinner. Are you staying?"

"I'd love to, but I don't want to be around when your cat fully wakes up. Who knows what state she'll be in? She might not spare you either."

"Oh, come on, she's a sweet little cat, usually very gentle. I've just left her alone a bit longer than usual," Bernardt explained as he carried the cat to the bathroom.

With her practiced hands, the doctor finished the bath in no time, or perhaps she just hurried to leave as quickly as possible.

At the door, she paused for a moment. "Please call my niece. I don't want her nagging me. You owe me that much!"

Bernard nodded, but the truth was he barely remembered the girl. He briefly pondered this, thinking the doctor might be right since he had cut off all his human relationships to give Katy a peaceful life.

But he couldn't help it. He couldn't do anything but melt when he looked into those big, intelligent, black eyes. This cat was no ordinary feline—very smart, almost as if it could speak. And yes, he had considered how the toilet incident happened and why it couldn't get out. But he didn't want to think further because animals couldn't be so clever as to manipulate their actions.

He sat on the couch where Katy was lying and petted her clever head. The cat opened her eyes and looked at him reproachfully, making Bernardt immediately realize he was in trouble. He quickly brought some treats.

A few hours later, when she finally accepted the food, he could sit and calmly think over the day's events.

Max, his contact who had helped him sell the prototype, came to mind. He realized at Zack's that he should also give a copy to the resistance. If something happened to him, the invention would be in a safe place, ensuring the world would know about it. He increasingly believed that once he handed it over to Zack, he would have him killed. Especially if Zack finds out, there is a copy.

He called Max during petting the cat, who seemed to have completely forgiven him.

"Max, are you sure this line is secure? It is not eavesdropping?" Bernard asked.

"Did you call from the phone I gave you?" came the reply from the phone.

"Yes, yes, so it's secure. Okay, listen, I'm calling because I was at Zack's today, and he said the prototype is back with him. And he mentioned hearing some rumors about me, that I sold it. I'm in big trouble. He might have already hired someone to kill me. I must disappear. Can you help with that?"

"I'll call a few people, then let's talk tomorrow, okay?"

"Thank you! And Max, I'm counting on you! Please don't let me down! And one more thing, I want to give a copy to the resistance, too. Arrange a meeting with them as soon as possible."

"You're critical to the resistance; I'll do everything possible!"

"Okay, thanks!"

He felt a bit calmer but still had thoughts running through his mind, so he immediately started making two copies. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro