4*

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Aune woke with a feeling of resent. Resent that she had been left in this tower, resent that she had never been given this book before. She was angry, angry enough to lose her head. Not knowing what lay outside had become too much for her. Aune needed rope, enough for her to lower herself out. But the simple fact was that there was no rope, or in Rapunzel's case, hair. She searched every corner, scoured every place in the room, but there was nothing but a few girdle cords and ribbons. Then Aune realized that there were no windows except on the ceiling. Frustrated, she looked up at them, trying to find a latch or anything that could open them.

She began to laugh at herself. Why would a window open? What was the point of doing do? Of course the window wouldn't open! But even as she thought this, a memory creeped into her head, the way memories always do when you need them most, silent and undetected until they were there.

She was three, or maybe even two, but it was summer, and the heat was stifling. Anna delivered breakfast and stood gasping in the heat. She drew a cool bath for Aune, but Aune was still burning. Anna went into the library, trying to find a way to cool down the tower. Aune watched, fascinated as Anna found a stick and, standing on a table, propped open the window.

Aune leapt up, staring at the bookcases in front of her. As she reached for a shelf to pull herself up, she heard Nephele's footsteps approaching. She cursed herself for not paying attention to the time and returned to her sitting room.

Nephele entered hurriedly, set the food down, bid Aune good morning, and left as hastily as she had come. Aune sat and picked at her food, hungry only for freedom. She was as ready as she would ever be. Climbing up on the library table, she couldn't quite reach the window. She disappeared, only to return a moment later with a chair which she set on the table. This time, she could reach it.

She gave it a shove and it bounced upward, then came back down with a crash. Aune waited with bated breath to see if anyone had heard it. But after a few moments of silence, she tried again, this time pulling herself up, high enough to see out. The world was huge! She could see houses and houses and people flooding the streets, although they appeared to be ants at this distance. In the distance there was a large swath of deep green. So that was what a forest looked like! A stone wall surrounded the castle, with stone towers periodically dotting the wall.

Then she turned her attention to the stones of the tower. They stuck out, not enough to make a foothold, but Aune didn't know that. She shifted out of the window and lowered herself until she was hanging by her hands only. Her feet scrabbled wildly to find a foothold. Then, by pure luck, her foot slid into a hole. It was a large hole, large enough for both her feet. It must have been the hole near the hidden book. She reached down to grab another stone and lowered herself even further. Her fingers were slipping ever so slowly, and she seized the hole where her feet had been before.

Suddenly there was a shout below her. Her sweaty fingers slipped and she plummeted into space. Aune screamed with terror, trying to stop, trying to grasp onto anything.

Then there was a muffled whump and she gasped, drawing the air back into her lungs. She was sitting on a pile of straw, hurting, but alive.

"What're ya doin'?" The same voice that had shouted earlier spoke up behind her. Aune scrambled around until she was facing the person. It was a short boy, the kind Aune imagined to be a stable boy. His hair was short and matted, as if it had never been brushed. Large, yellowed teeth protruded from his upper lip. He leered at Aune. "Why're ya here?"

Aune stared back, heart pounding. She couldn't tell him anything.

"Are ya dumb?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why're ya climbin' the tower? Are ya daft?"

Aune looked wildly for an escape, while muttering feverishly "No, I'm not daft, I was climbing for fun..."

She turned and backed up, stumbling on her long skirts. Then she turned away and tried to run, but only succeeded in crashing into another person. She scrambled forward, trying to free herself from the person's grip. There was a ripping noise and Aune fell face first into the muck near the stables. Her dress had ripped and she felt her hair slipping out of its bun. Smeared with mud and dirt, Aune faced the newcomer boldly.

"Who are you?"

The man before her was a ruddy cheeked man with powerful arms. His skin was tanned and his face round and cheerful, even after their short scrabble. He offered his hand. "Sorry 'bout, ma'am. Ye turned 'round too fast for me to help it. Ye have me apologies."

Aune nodded. "Who are you?" She repeated, trying to sound as if she had the authority to do so.

"Me name's Barnaby, ma'am. Begging your pardon, but I ain't seen ye before 'round here before."

Aune shifted uneasily. "I, uh, I'm a cousin of, um, the princess." Gaining confidence from her lie, she continued. "Yes, I'm the princess' cousin."

He seemed to notice the stable boy for the first time. "You, little rip, get back to work or I'll box ye ears, see if I don't." He fixed her with a stern look, and Aune knew that he had seen right through her lie. "Ye sure look like her, but everyone would've heard if'n some royal cousin was here. Ye'd better come with me, ma'am." Unhappily, she followed him, knowing that she wouldn't have much luck running.

He turned around and immediately noticed her lagging. "Ye know I realized ye were lyin', don't ye?" Grabbing her arm, he dragged her forward. "Come on now, look lively or I'll box your ears as well."

Aune walked faster. Barnaby beckoned to a set of stairs leading up onto the wall. "Up ye go." She climbed, marveling at everything and the size it held. Another set of stairs led down off the other side, and for a moment she considered making a run for it. But Barnaby pushed her along.

"Oh no you don't. I can see ye thinkin'." They stopped at a guard standing sentry on the battlements.

"Mornin'." His greeting was curt.

"Mornin'." Barnaby nodded in return. "I've caught some sort of liar here. She was climbin' that tower and lied to me about bein' the princess' cousin. I'll leave her here with ye?"

"No, bring her down to the gate. There's a group that seems to be bringing someone into the castle. Give her to them."

Barnaby bowed respectfully. "Thankee. I'll get her there."

Aune walked dejectedly ahead. She still had hope, but she knew she was caught. Then her father's words came to her. "You will find yourself in the same position your late nurse finds herself in now." Aune drew in a deep breath. She was not going to die.

Meanwhile, Nephele had gotten her conference with the King and Queen. Kneeling at the foot of the dais, she began to speak. "Your Majesties, I fear that Aune has grown restless. She has begun to ask questions." She paused, awaiting the King's response.

He frowned. "Nephele, my loyal advisor and librarian, what do you suggest we do?"

Queen Natela interrupted. "My dear, I believe we should give her away to the first newcomer we can convince."

Nephele bowed. "Your Majesty, your words are wise. No one but a queen could think of such things."

Queen Natela sniffed. "That's why I'm a queen, Nephele, and you're a librarian."

There was a knocking at the back of the hall. King Casper called in response "Come in!"

A breathless young man raced up and knelt beside Nephele. "Your... Majesties. Your guards have... have found a man... asking for a conference with... with you. He says he has a request."

"A request, eh?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

King Casper caught Nephele's eye and grinned savagely. "Well, then bring him in as soon as he arrives."

In a quarter of an hour, there was another knock, and the door opened.

Surrounded by guards, a man, about 28 years old, strode in. Behind him, two guards dragged a kicking, flailing person who was giving them a fight for their money. The King's attention turned to the fighter. Noticing this, a third guard dashed over to help the other two. Between the three of them, Aune, for it was indeed Aune, was forced down, and her hands tied with a length of rawhide.

King Casper stood up. Striding off his dais, he walked right past the man and grabbed a startled guard's spear. He jabbed it at Aune. Her head whirled around. The King took a small pace back, for her eyes were flickering red. He had seen fighters with bloodlust, but never a girl. Quickly he returned the spear to the guard and faced Aune.

"You are a very lucky girl."

Aune felt the rush of hatred again, and the edges of her vision began to turn red. She tried to force it away, and it subsided a little. "That's fine for you to say." She spat.

The King glared at her. "You'll learn some manners soon enough." He turned on his heel and strode off, leaving Aune on the cool marble floor.

She couldn't see him, but she heard his boots thumping as he returned to his seat. She could hear him as he talked to the man.

"I have an offer for you, sir. But state your purpose first."

There was a pause. "Well, Your Majesty, I'm nought but a poor honest traveler. You see, I often end up lonely and sad in the woods. I had hoped for a companion to aid me in my travels." He spoke with an air of one who has not realized that their cold manner shows in what they believe to be an amicable tone.

Aune shivered. Where was Nephele? Silently she cursed herself for not listening to her. She was a fool, a stupid fool. She would only come to ruin this way.

King Casper's laugh filled the room. "You're just the man I'm looking for, sir..."

"Plato."

"Wonderful name. Well, you couldn't have come at a better time, Sir Plato. Do you see that girl over there?"

Aune knew he was talking about her. She ground her teeth, frustrated.

"Of course, Your Majesty."

"She's just about worn out her welcome here, if you please." Both the King and Queen laughed.

Queen Natela spoke up. "More than that I might say. If you were to take her as a traveling companion, I'm sure we could reach an agreement. Two thousand gold Gnenzals, perhaps."

When Plato spoke, he sounded anxious. "Your Majesties, I would be a fool to turn down such an offer. But I can see that the girl is no weakling. She could get out of hand quite easily."

The Queen wasted no time. "Ah, but there is a way. Nephele, run and fetch Barnaby and Horatia. Quickly."

Time seemed to freeze. Aune couldn't see what was happening, but she could feel the tension. Nephele let out a sharp breath, and Aune heard a word, whispered so silently, she couldn't tell what it was.

Then Nephele's receding footsteps broke the silence as she hurried off, leaving a discombobulated Aune in her wake.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro