⚜♚13. Life of Yamna♚⚜

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

Rohaan

As I was about to leave Yamna's room to go to the bathroom to perform wudhu, I noticed something odd on her soft toy shelf. I walked towards it and saw that a toy kitten had its neck slashed, with some stuffing coming out. There were also red stains on the cat.

What the f**k?

Yamna returned a few moments later with the prayer mat. I glanced at her, not knowing how to point out the toy-caticide to her. But she had to know, for her own safety.

"Hamster, what is this?" I picked up the mauled toy cat and showed it to her.

Instead of gasping or being horrified, she giggled. "You need to arrest Maham for that."

"Maham? My Maham?" I asked.

She handed me the prayer mat before adjusting her abaya and hijab. "See, Ali found out that she wants to be a detective. He showed her some murder mystery videos on YouTube..."

"S**t."

"So, this is what she did to the cat because she wanted to investigate a murder."

"She's four!" I shook my head in disbelief. "Does Haya know?" 

"Yeah. Hoor Appi told Ali off." She pursed her lips. "I came into the room and Maham had somehow found my scissors and was doing that to pour Ms Whiskers." 

"And the red stains?"

"Nail polish."

"I'll be right back." I headed out of the room. 

"I'll leave room for you to pray just ahead of me!" She called out.

I went into the box room and closed the door before dialling Behaya's number.

"Yeah, Badrooh?" She answered.

"Is Maham around?" 

"What did she do?" 

"It's a Mamu-Bhanji matter. I just need a quick word with her, Behaya." 

"Give me a sec." Without covering the phone, she called out. "Maham! Rohaan Mamu wants to speak to you!" 

I smiled as I heard an excited shriek in the background, and even Behaya laughed.

"Mamu! Ass'amaikum."

"Walaikum Assalam." I sat down on the bed. "Maham, did you cut your Mumani's pink teddy bear?" 

"Yes." She answered timidly. "Sorry, Mamu. I was a detective."

"You shouldn't do that, my love. You shouldn't destroy toys and things, okay? When we see each other next time, I'll teach you other fun ways to play detective games, okay? But don't tear up or cut up toys."

"Okay, Mamu."

"Good girl. I knew my sweetheart Maham would listen to me."

"I will! Here, Mama wants to talk!"

A second later, Behaya came back on the line. "What happened?" 

"She just wanted to play detective, that's all. Just in a little... non-childish way. But it's all okay now." 

"Anything I need to worry about?"

"Hopefully, not anymore. She's a good kid. She listens to adults... must have gone after Aariz Bhai." 

"Oh, shush, Badrooh." 

"Talk to you later, Behaya." I ended the call and then went to perform wudhu.

Alhumdulillah, one tension is resolved.

Arsal

I was working on my book, a thriller. It was private project, something I hadn't discussed with anyone but Hira and Papa. But even they didn't know the details. I wanted to finish it and polish it before I even thought about letting anyone read it.

"Arsal?" 

Ro and I had decided to stay at my grandparents' house for a few nights because we were worried about our parents and grandparents. "Yes, Mama?" 

She entered the study where I'd been working and took a seat on the opposite side of the desk. "Your Papa briefly mentioned that you wanted to prepone the wedding?" 

My body tensed up and I was unable to look up at her.

"We have the venue sorted, we were just about to send out the invitation cards..."

"About to. But you haven't. In fact, you haven't even ordered the cards." I said. "So... um... yes, I would like to prepone the wedding."

She placed her fingers over her forehead, sighing. "Arsal..."

"We didn't plan to do the Nikah right now. But now that we have, why don't we prepone the wedding?" 

She tilted her head back on the chair and sighed. "It's not as simple as just preponing the wedding, Arsal. We had everything planned out." She nodded. "But okay. Let me get over the incident with Rohaan, then I'll discuss it with your father."

"Why don't you use the venue for Ro's wedding instead, since they have to do the rukhsati after Yamna's final year is finished?" I suggested.

"Just give us some time, Arsal. We'll discuss it." She stood up, her face pale.

"Are you okay?" I also jumped up and raced around the desk to her, wrapping my arms around her shoulders to steady her. "What's wrong?" 

She shook her head, but her eyes were filled with tears. "I've been so scared since yesterday, when I saw the effigy burning. And then Rohaan... I'm so shaken and scared, and I'm sorry but I can't focus on anything right now."

"You don't have to." I kissed the side of her head. "Mama, with your duas, Rohaan is fine and he will be fine, In Sha Allah. Stop worrying. He can handle himself better than you think. Even when hit in the head, he didn't let the two criminals get away."

She rolled her eyes. "That silly, silly boy. What if they had another gun? What if they...?"

"Mama, let's not think of the 'what ifs'. He's fine. Alhumdulillah."

"But he's still in the profession! How am I meant to breathe in peace knowing that he puts himself in danger every single day?" 

"I'm sorry, Mama. I'm sorry that you now have the added tension of my request to prepone..."

"No, honey. Don't be silly." She looked up at me just as a tear ran down her cheek. "Just give me a few days. Your father and I will discuss this with you then." 

"That's fine, Mama." 

Tahira and I still had some time to find out anyway whether we needed to worry about anything or not.

She leaned against me, and I helped her sit back down in the chair.

"It's okay, Mama. He's doing the right place, protecting people and fighting crime and injustice. He's doing it with honesty and courage. In Sha Allah, he will be in Allah's Protection." 

"I knew it. The day he told us that he wanted to be a detective, I knew that he was determined and that there was nothing we could do to change his mind. I know my aulaad very well. And my heart almost stopped that day, knowing that I would have to live in fear each day." 

"Mama, there are countless people who join the army or who become police officers. They are considered heroes. Imagine if all their mothers refused to let them join. How would protect the country and society?" 

"I know that too, Arsal. But I'm selfish. I've always been selfish when it comes to family." 

"It's call selflessness, Mama. You've thought about nothing but us. Our health. Our safety. Our happiness. Not yourself, but us. Papa, us siblings." I sat on the desk, taking her hands in mine.

"I'm sorry, Arsu. I came here to discuss your request, and I have started burdening you with my fears and worries."

I crouched down on the floor in front of her. "We woke you up in the middle of the night when we got nightmares. You stayed up the whole night when we were sick. Let's not even start on when we were babies. You've earned every right, and more, by sharing your worries and fears with us now that we are adults." The one person in the universe that I hated seeing in pain the most was my mother. It physically hurt me when she was upset, and even worse when she cried.

She ran a hand through my hair. "You're so good to be, Arsu. You all are." 

"Mama, if I make mistakes, you'll forgive me right? Know that I will never, ever do anything to hurt you intentionally."

"Now you're scaring me."

I laughed, kissing her hands. "Don't worry. No gunnah." I stood up. "Look after yourself. The days are gone when you spent twenty-hour hours working about us."

"I probably won't be around by then, but just remember those words when your kids are old enough. A parental worry never ends."

"Don't ever talk about not being around." I leaned down to kiss the top of her head. "May Allah give you a long and healthy life. Ameen." 

"As long as it's with Rehan. May I not witness a day without him. Ameen." She whispered softly.

My heart hurt. 

I just hoped that I never caused hurt or disappointment to my parents again. Already, I was always afraid of losing them, and to cause them pain at their elderly stage would be nothing less than a grave sin for me.

Ya Allah, no matter what You have decided, don't let Mama and Papa be hurt or humiliated because of it. Ameen.

Anabia

*SPECIAL CONTENT*

I entered the bedroom and closed the door behind me, leaning against it.

"All okay?" Rehan asked me from the bed when I didn't move.

"I'm guessing that Arsal didn't wait for rukhsati?" I asked.

He looked at me, stunned. "What?"

"Is that the reason for the preponing of the wedding?" I walked over to the bed and sat down facing him. "He didn't tell me anything, but I put two and two together." 

He took his glasses off, sighing. "Are you angry?" 

"When he kissed her, it was wrong. But it's not a sin now. I can't be at them when Allah has authorised such relations." I couldn't believe that we were basically discussing my baby son's s*x life. "We are going to have to seriously consider preponing the wedding." I looked up at him. "Arsal suggested that we can use the venue for Rohaan, since he won't be getting married until Yamna's final year is complete."

"That sounds like a good idea." 

"We'll think about it later." I sighed. "Right now, I just need to stop overthinking." I got into bed beside him. "I can't sleep without having nightmare thoughts about Rohaan." 

He wrapped his arm around me, holding me close against himself. "You loved the detective so much, that life decided to give you the detective in another form. Someone you love even more."

"The Detective in your books made me happy. This real life detective of ours scares me each time he steps out of the house. And you know how hot-headed and impulsive Rohaan is." 

"He is. But he's also very good at what he does, Ma Sha Allah. You need to trust him to be able to take care of himself."

"Did it not scare you when you saw that burning effigy? Or when you saw our son in the hospital?"

"Anya, even a paper cut on the kids worry us. But they are grown ups, and I have to believe that our duas, the protection of Allah, is all more than sufficient to keep them safe in this world. We need to step back and let them take on the world on their own. They are not kids anymore." 

"I know. It's so weird. I know all that, but I still..." 

"You're their mother. It's completely understandable." He smiled. "Do you remember how you mad you got when Arsal got lost at the shopping centre while under my care?" 

I groaned. "Allah! Don't remind me! I was causing such a scene. Fortunately, Mama was there to get me back in my senses. And later, when I thought about it, I was thinking how lucky that you didn't divorce me." 

He laughed. "You weren't that bad! You just kept lecturing me in an irritated tone." 

"Well, I more than compensated for it." I smiled.

"My point is, that you've always been an overprotective mother, and you'll always remain as such. There's nothing wrong about that, Anya. But we can't treat them like kids anymore. We need to let them be. We're here if they need us, we're here for duas, but Ma Sha Allah, they're all married now, and they all need to learn to manage on their own."

"The twins are doing great, Ma Sha Allah. It's now the boys' turn."

I knew that Rohaan was brilliant at his job, Ma Sha Allah, but as his mother, I just couldn't stop worrying.

He was a great detective. Strong, confident, brave and tough. He'll be fine, In Sha Allah. May Allah always keep him under His protection. Ameen.

Rohaan

I held up the toy sheep from the shelf. "I would never understand your obsession with soft toys. I mean, one or two is sufficient, but you have an entire zoo." I then picked up the lion soft toy. "And you have placed the lion and the sheep together. Are you not aware that the sheep is basically a delicious burger for the lion?" 

"My soft toys are not going to eat each other, Rohaan."

"At least be creative with them." I shrugged. I moved the deer next to the lamp, and the lion beside the dolphin.

"Why is the lion beside the dolphin?"

"Easy. Because there's no way they could come across each other." 

She blinked at me, shaking her head. 

I took the murdered cat and stared at it. "This is disturbing that my four-year-old niece did this. It's even more disturbing how easily kids have access to such disturbing videos." As per Yamna, my sisters had now put strict parental controls on all devices, and made sure that they only used the YouTube Kids app, which only had family-friendly content. I turned to her. "Anyway, I'm going to go home and get started on your book tonight. As you can understand, my reading speed is not very fast, so have patience with me. But I'll be as quick as I can because I'm eager to learn your subconscious thoughts about me." 

"Don't make fun of me." 

"In this case, never." I reassured her. Placing my hands on her shoulders, I kissed her forehead. "I love you, hamster." 

She wrapped her arms around my waist. "I love you too." 

A FEW DAYS LATER

Amira

I had just stepped out of the shower, and was about to continue working from home on my latest project for the brand, when there was a knock on the door.

Wearing my long navy-blue dress (in case there was a Zoom meeting), along with my grey sports trousers, I opened the door, my wet showered hair hanging loose around my face. "Assalam Alaikum!"

"Walaikum Assalam." It was Zaryab. He help up some mail, grinning.

"Thank you." I smiled genuinely at him.

There was a brief period in time when Bhai and I had to shift out of the flood due to flooding due to a burst pipe. While it was being fixed, he had temporarily redirected our post to Zaryab's flat, with Zaryab's knowledge and approval, of course. It seemed like there were still some letters going to his flat.

I looked through the mail. One was a magazine for an online sportswear shop that my brother used to order from. One was a letter from his mobile network, and the third was from a charity that he used to donate to. "It's like he's still here." I looked up at him. "I cancelled the redirection, so I'm not sure..." 

"Don't worry about it. It's okay." He gave me a reassuring smile. Then he turned serious. "Listen, I don't want you to think that I blindsided you, so here goes. My mother wants to come and talk to you, about our rishta."

"Our rishta?" 

"If it's something that you can't even consider, then let me know. I'll stop her."

I exhaled. "I have nobody with me. No parents, no big brother, nobody to guide me or advise me on this. If your parents think this is the right step, then I won't be offended if your mother comes and talks to me." 

"You're okay with an arranged marriage?" 

"The South Asian subcontinent has heavily relied on arranged marriage for God knows how long. And I don't really believe in love before marriage anyway." I paused. "I'm going to be honest with you. I have my own selfish reasons."

"Which are?" 

"This world seems very dark and lonely to me right now. The thought of all these years ahead gives me anxiety. I would really like to have a partner through it all." I admitted honestly.

He nodded. "I can understand that." 

"Thank you for mentioning this to me beforehand." 

"If I was in your position, I would want to know." He cleared his throat. "I should go."

"Allah Hafiz."

"Allah Hafiz."

When I closed my front door, I stood there for a little while, wondering what had just happened. One moment, my life felt empty and lonely, and the next moment, there was a ray of light. 

Humans needed companionship. Humans needed relationships. And I realised that more than ever since Bhai passed away.

TRIP DAY

Yamna

It was the day that I had been waiting for. The trip day!

Mama had asked me to dress a little differently, and so I had chosen a long tan skirt, a cream blouse and a light blue cardigan, along with white wedge sandals. Mama then did my hair in a loose braid, and I wore silver hoop earrings. 

"Have you kept the copy of Ayat-ul-Kursi?" Mama asked.

"Yes, Mama."

"All your chargers?"

"Yes, Mama."

"Allergy medicines, Imodium, paracetamols?" 

"Yes, Mama." 

"Always keep your valuables in a safe place. Don't wander off alone. Stay within a group, and by that I mean minimum three or four people."

"Yes, Mama."

I took my pink backpack and medium-sized pink four-wheeled suitcase and loaded it in the car. She was driving me to the train station, and I was going to the university campus from where the coach would drive us to our destination.

"Keep me updated every step of the way."

"Yes, Mama."

"Don't go anywhere near a bar or a pub."

"I know, Mama."

"Try not to go out after Maghrib, full stop."

And just like that, Mama kept giving me instructions all the way to the station.

When we got there, I was surprised to see Rohaan standing outside, his sunglasses on, wearing black jeans and a long-sleeved grey shirt, along with black boots. "What is he doing here?" 

Mama smiled at me. "He wanted to take you himself."

"Oh, that's why you didn't insist on going with me." I grinned.

We got out of the car and he approached us. "Assalam Alaikum!" 

"Walaikum Assalam!" 

Before Mama and I could even move, he was already making his way to the car boot to take my luggage out.

"Pink luggage! What a shock!" He grinned at me.

Mama laughed. "I told her to take one of our other ones, but you know her." 

He laughed as well. 

"Okay, my sunshine, take care!" Mama hugged me tightly. "Call me when you reach, In Sha Allah. Take care of yourself." She kissed my cheek. 

"Allah Hafiz, Mama." I hugged her back, suddenly feeling a little homesick.

"Allah Hafiz, sunshine." Mama then ran a hand over Rohaan's head, giving him duas.

We headed into the Tube station and scanned our Oyster cards to enter. Then Rohaan took my suitcase and carried it down the stairs, as there were no lifts available.

"It's okay, I can..." I began to protest, but he was already heading down.

I jogged down after him, my pink backpack bouncing on my shoulders. At the bottom of the steps, he took my hand in his free one. 

"I can take the suitcase." I offered.

"It's okay. I can manage."

We walked to the middle of the platform as we waited for the train heading towards the city. 

"So, how is the book reading coming along?" I asked, casually.

"I finished chapter one just a while ago."

"Are you serious?" 

"What? You readers really need to stop judging us non-readers. I told you I'm slow." He grinned.

"I'm not judging. I'm just glad that you're reading it, and I'm excited for you to read it all."

"I'm going to finish the whole book, even if it's the last thing that I do. I promise."

"Don't say that." I wrapped my arm around his waist, leaning against him.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and leaned down to kiss me.

I felt myself smiling as we kissed. "You know... I'm going to get you a pink keychain."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am." I giggled. "And you're going to have to carry it around everywhere because it would be a gift from me."

"Only if you stop wearing anything pink for a whole month." He shrugged.

I frowned. "The majority of my wardrobe is pink!"

"So, no deal." 

"I wasn't making any deal. I was just telling you that soon you'll be the recipient of a pink keychain." 

The train approached then, and we stepped inside as the doors opened with a hiss. Fortunately, we found two seats together at the side, and he placed the suitcase beside us before sitting down.

"I'm going to tell Mama and Papa about your book." He looked at me.

"What? No." I blushed. "Rohaan, I'm so embarrassed."

"Do you know how proud Papa would be of you? Both of them, but especially your beloved Tayan! His sweetheart Yamna had her own book published!"

"Yeah, but it's a romance!"

"So? Mama had romantic books published!" He grinned. "Unless you have written s*x scenes that you...?"

"Oh God! No! Just kissing...between a married couple."

"How about we tell them, but request them not to read it?" He suggested. "I'm sure they'll respect that. But I want them to know so that they can know that you inherited that talent."

To be honest, I wanted Tayan to know. I wanted to see the proud look on his face. "Fine. Tell them. But also Mama and Papa, and Dada Jaan and Dado." 

"You want me to tell them all?" 

I nodded. "I would never be able to tell them myself."

"How about, we tell them together once you're back? I'll be there to support you."

"I'll think about it." It made me nervous just thinking about it, but I was also now getting excited at seeing the reaction of my elders.

When we arrived at the campus, other students were all gathered around with their luggage, chattering excitedly.

"Stay in touch with me, okay?" Rohaan looked down at me.

I nodded. "I will." 

"Stay out of trouble, hamster." 

"I'll try my best." I shrugged.

And then I saw the girl who I absolutely couldn't stand. Hazel Robertson. She was the stereotypical mean girl. She had once seen my mini toy hamster in my bag, and she had been making fun of me ever since.

With wavy light brown hair with golden highlights, and blue eyes, she was pretty. But she was equally horrid.

She saw me and walked over to me with her hard-top suitcase and Gucci handbag. "Yamna! Hope you brought your soft toys along! You might miss home and mummy." She eyed Rohaan head to toe appreciatively, a smile on her face. "I believe we haven't met." 

I didn't care about her comments regarding me and my soft toys. But I was fuming at her checking out my husband. 

Rohaan looked at me, raising his eyebrows as if asking, 'Are you going to handle it or shall I?'

I knew that he wanted me to be braver, to be able to stand up for myself. 

"I'm Hazel." She held out her perfectly manicured hand towards him, her silver Pandora bracelet sparkling.

"And he's my husband." I stepped between him and Hazel. "So, excuse me. You are interrupting our private time together." 

She looked at me, startled. "He's your husband?" 

"Yes, because in the adult world, everyone knows that it's what's on the inside that counts, and that's what mature adults get attracted to." I said. "As for my soft toys, even adults have comfort items. I'm not ashamed of mine. Now, please excuse us. You are disturbing us."

She huffed and walked off, stumbling a little in her heels.

"Sadqay jaaon. That's my girl." Rohaan wrapped an arm around me, kissing the side of my head.

"Only because you were here." I said, timidly.

"This time. But if you keep it up, gradually you'll be able to stand up for yourself on your own too. And I will make sure that day comes, In Sha Allah." 

I looked up at him, awed. 

"You are Rohaan Rehan Tariq's wife. I'll help you become someone nobody can mess around with, so that you don't need anyone to stand up for you, hamster." 

Feeling a huge wave of emotions wash over me, I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly. "You are husband goals." Placing my hands on his cheeks, I kissed him, with no regards to this being PDA. I didn't care. The way he was making me feel, the way he was trying to make me stronger, was making me fall in love again and again, harder each time.

"If she bothers you..." He breathed hard as we pulled away from here. "Casually mention that your husband is in the police."

"Casually? I'm going to mention it with pride." I grinned.

"Take care of yourself, hamster." He kissed my forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too." I rested my head against his chest, my arms around his waist. "Will you miss me?"

"I'll be in peace."

"Rohaan!" I glared up at him. "Will you miss me?" 

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Are you trying to get a confession out of me?"

"Yes." 

He chuckled. "Yes, Yamna Rohaan. I'll miss you a lot." 

"Good. Because I won't miss you!" With a giggle, I pulled away and rushed away with my luggage.

I waved at him as I got on the coach after my luggage had been loaded. And when I sat down in the coach, I messaged him.

<Yamna: I'll miss you too.🕵🏽 ❤️🐹>

Rohaan

I got back home and found an Amazon package for me.

When I opened it, I burst out laughing. It was a pink hamster keychain.

"Alright, hamster. You win. I'll carry this along." I muttered. 

Arsal came running in the living room. "Oh, good! You're home!"

"Why?" I looked at him.

"You're not going to believe it!" 

"With all the drama going on, I'd believe anything." 

"Mama and Papa have agreed for the preponing of the wedding! I'm getting married soon, In Sha Allah!" A huge grinned lit up Arsal's entire face.

Finally, a good cliffhanger!

Maham is a dangerous kid lol. She's truly determined to be a detective.

How will Yamna's trip go?

Favourite part?

Thoughts and comments?

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote! ☆

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro