⚜♚70. Like a Montage ♚⚜

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

As the title hints, the story will be jumping forward a little, otherwise it'll keep dragging on.

Who is awaiting Chipmunk?

Do you think it's a boy, a girl, or twins?

Yamna

I had to dress up slightly today for a work conference.

I wore a magenta knee-length dress, with black maternity leggings. My hair was pinned back with a clip, and I put on silver hoop earrings. With Rohaan recovering, Alhumdulillah, I was feeling normal about work again.

After I returned home, I smiled at my reflection in the mirror, taking the clip off. My hair fell straight and loose around my shoulders. "That was good. I can almost hope for a promotion in the distant future, Chipmunk." I pressed a hand over my stomach. I could feel myself growing in confidence. I wasn't just the shy, mousy new girl anymore. I was starting to open up, and to make my opinions known. It was a good feeling. Alhumdulillah.

I headed into the walk-in wardrobe and took my dress off, remaining in my black lace bra and leggings, and walking to the wardrobe to get a fresh change of clothes. I found a soft shirt of Rohaan's, my fingers running over the material, making me miss him again. "Rohaan, please come back soon."

"Your wish is my command, Mrs. Rohaan Rehan Tariq."

I whirled around, gasping.

Rohaan stood in the doorway of the bathroom, leaning against the doorframe as he smiled at me. "Are you going to stand there staring, or are you going to come here and hug me?"

"Rohaan!" With a gasp, I rushed up to him and wrapped my arms around him, taking care to avoid the area where he had been shot. "You're home!" 

He wrapped his left arm around me. "Looks like you missed me, Hamster." 

"You have no idea." I placed my hands on his cheeks, then pressed my lips against his. I felt the saltiness of my own tears as I kissed him, but it was only natural and I didn't care. I'd missed him, and I'd almost lost him. I'd every damn right to cry! I'd never been more terrified in my life than I'd been when I'd thought that I'd lost Rohaan.

"It's okay, Hamster." He pulled away slightly, but kept his good arm around me. "I'm okay."

I nodded, smiling weakly. "Alhumdulillah." 

Ahmed

"You are hereby suspended for two weeks without pay." Mr. Bartlett informed me, grimly. "While we understand your intentions, Ahmed, and while we wish that we can disregard your actions, I'm afraid that's not possible. You were an on-duty officer, investigating that case. By going along with an off-duty officer, gaining access to the culprit's house by deception, you acted against the rules and regulations of an on-duty officer investigating a case." 

I had been expecting this, and I had nobody to blame but myself. I was the one who had chosen to go along with Rohaan, after all.

Head bowed, I left my senior officer's office.

Lucinda stood outside, and when she saw my expressions, her own face fell. "Oh God, Ahmed. I'm so sorry."

I shrugged. "I made the decision, and now I have to suffer the consequences."

"Do you regret it?" She asked, quietly.

I shook my head. "If I hadn't gone along with him, if I hadn't called you, Rohaan would be dead right now, so no. I don't regret it."

"Exactly! You called us!" She protested. "You got the team involved!"

"Lucy, I entered the idiot's house without a warrant. I think that is what's p**sing them off so much." I chuckled bitterly. "Criminals have more rights than the ones who fight them."

"I got suspended for two weeks." I announced to my family, flopping down on the sofa beside Ammi.

"You what?!" My mother looked horrified.

"I didn't act like an on-duty officer investigating a case." I tried to remain nonchalant.

"Is that when you went with Rohaan?" My mother asked. "You risked not only your life, but you career..."

"He would have done the same for me, Ammi, and I would have acted the same way if, God forbid, someone hurt you."

"I understand, but to risk everything like this...?" 

"I couldn't sit back and let him get himself killed, Ammi." I sighed in exasperation.

"Did he get suspended too?" 

"Ammi, he was off-duty, and he wasn't investigating this case." 

"Didn't he shoot someone while off-duty?" Ammi pointed out.

"It was considered self-defence. They shot him and tried to strangle him, Ammi."

"He gets an excuse. You get suspended." Ammi sounded furious. "Ridiculous!"

"Begum, when people don't follow the work rules while on duty, they face consequences." Baba interceded, gently. "No matter what, Ahmed did break the rules, while working."

"My seniors understand why I did what I did, but they have to follow these procedures, Ammi. Their hands are tied too." 

My mother didn't look happy at all, and I just knew that this conversation was not over yet... not even close.

Arsalan

"Congratulations, Arsalan!" 

I smiled, shaking the hand of the editor. "Thank you." 

Feeling proud of myself, I turned and exited the office. I had just signed the contract to have my first book published! It was a mystery/thriller, mixed with a hint of romance. It was about a man searching years for his lost love, heavily inspired by my feelings when Tahira had disappeared out of my life.

I couldn't stop grinning, even as I arrived at the restaurant where I was meeting Hira for dinner. 

"Assalam Alaikum." I kissed Hira's cheek as I met her outside the front entrance.

"Walaikum Assalam!" She smiled in pleasant surprise. "Someone's in a good mood, Ma Sha Allah!"

I took her head and spontaneously twirled her around. "I am."

"Care to elaborate?" 

"I will explain, I promise." I said. "But only in a true desi way... with something sweet." I leaned down and kissed her lips quickly, unable to help herself. "You have been nothing less than a blessing for me, Hira. Alhumdulillah, Allah created us for each other."

Her cheeks turned pink and she smiled happily at me.

I stood in my parents' former room at our home, adjusting my tie in a mirror. I'd asked Tahira to wait before I revealed the reason of my happiness, and she had waited patiently, even as she made small and adorable attempts to find out.

I looked at one of Mama's favourite photos of Papa in a suit for reference, before glancing back in the mirror. "I look like him. And today, I will announce to everyone that I am indeed like him." 

"Aslan! I brought the mithai!" Hira's voice came from down the hall. "Shall we go?" 

I exited the room and saw Rohaan slowly coming out of his room, helped by Yamna. "You sure you good to go, Ro?" 

"Ay haye. Tie and all." He grinned. "What's going on, Grasshopper? And yeah, I'm not missing whatever this is about."

"Let's go." I moved forward. "I'll help him, Yamna." 

Yamna stepped back and let me help my brother downstairs.

I was so excited that, once again, I couldn't stop grinning.

I sat down beside Dado, taking her hand. 

She had fallen asleep in an armchair, and now blinked sleepily at me. "Rehan?" 

"Close enough." I kissed her temple, before turning to face everyone in the room. "I have an announcement to make. 

My grandparents, my parents, my wife, uncles, aunts, siblings, their spouses, my cousins and my nephews and nieces were all present, and they all eagerly awaited what I had to say.

"I am getting my first book published." I grinned. "Alhumdulillah!"

"Ma Sha Allah!" Everyone seemed to say collectively, all looking delighted for me... proud of me.

"I'm not surprised. It's in your blood." Dado ran a hand through my hair, lovingly. "May Allah give you endless success and happiness, my sweet boy. Ameen." 

"Ameen. Truly a shadow of our Rehan." Dada Jaan beamed at me. 

I got up and walked over to my parents. Mama was looking at me tearfully, while Papa had a proud smile on his face. He hugged me tightly, patting my back, and I smiled.

"Ma Sha Allah! We are so proud of you, Arsalan." Papa kissed the side of my head. "May Allah give you endless success. Ameen. But with each success, don't forget to thank Allah, okay?" 

I nodded.

"I knew you had it in you since you started writing short stories with crayons." Mama laughed softly, as I hugged her. "I'm so, so proud of you, my Arsu."

I then walked over to Hira. "I'm not ashamed to admit it, but Tahira has been a huge inspiration behind this book. Thank you for everything, Tahira." 

"Don't give me credit for your talent, Arsalan." She smiled with pride and affection obvious on her face.

"A supporting partner plays a great role in success, and I'm sure that all our elder couples would agree." I said.

My sisters hugged me from either side, making me laugh. I glanced towards Ro, who slowly made his way towards us, wrapping his good arm around Haya Appi. 

"Well done, Grasshopper." He simply said, a proud smile on his face.

Now for the hard part. This one, Hira knew about. I turned to face my family again. "I've been also offered a job as a junior editor." 

"Ma Sha Allah, Arsalan! I'm so happy to see you achieving so much success!" Dado said, as everyone congratulated me once again.

"Why do you not seem happy about it, though?" Haya Appi asked me.

"The job is in Manchester." I concluded the announcements of the day with a major bombshell. "And I want to accept it."

Rohaan

After my brother's bombshell, I found out about another shocking news. I heard not from Ahmed, but from colleagues at the police station over messages, that Ahmed had been suspended... because of me, frankly speaking.

"Ahmed, you twat, what did you do?" I groaned, dialling his number.

"Yo." He answered after a few rings.

"What did you do? Why the f**k didn't you tell me?" I snapped. "You got suspended because you idiotically came with me?" 

"I was an on-duty officer, investigating that very same case. This was bound to happen, man. I knew it when I made that choice." He sighed. "It's just two weeks. I needed the rest anyway." He chuckled, attempting to be humorous.

"This is suspension, not a holiday." 

"Ro, relax. It's fine. I don't regret my actions." He said. "The only thing is that Ammi is fuming."

"As she should be." 

"I think she might actually ask me not to be friends with you anymore." He laughed.

"Honestly? I won't blame her." I shook my head. "You wouldn't have gotten suspended if it were not for me."

"I'm not a toddler that you kidnapped and dragged along, Ro. I'm an adult police detective who made a choice, with a fully stable mind." 

"Fully stable?" I teased.

He laughed again. "You know what I mean. Don't stress. Even our seniors understand why I did what I did. They just have to fulfil these formalities." 

"Yaar, Ahmed..." I felt terrible. This was all my fault.

"If you can promise that you wouldn't have done the same for me, then you can happily take the blame. But I know that you would have done the same, so shut up."

"Fair enough." I surrendered.

"Anyway, you're on medical leave as well, so I'll just come by an play video games with you." He suggested. 

"Sounds like a plan." 

We were staying the night at Dado's, mostly because I was too worn out to go back home. 

I entered my bedroom that night, and saw Yamna sitting in bed. She had her book in her lap, but instead of reading, she was staring into space. "What's wrong?" 

She looked at me, patting the bed beside her. "Come." 

I got into the bed and pulled up the duvet, yawning. 

"Look, Rohaan, you need to promise me that you'll be more careful when it comes to your job. No more impulsive, rage-filled decisions." She said.

"I can't promise that if my family is threatened again, or hurt." 

"You have to promise, for Chipmunk's sake, if nobody else's." She took my hand. "Please, Rohaan. Every time you want to act impulsively, just think about Chipmunk." 

I paused, before nodding. "Okay, I promise. I'll think about Chipmunk, and my family, before I react." I wrapped my left arm around her. "You need to understand though, Hamster. That piece of s**t raised a hand on my mother. I shot at his hand for it. This was necessary." 

She leaned against me. "A part of me is very happy that he got what he deserves. How dare he hurts Anabia Mama? But it still doesn't change the fact that we almost lost you, and none of us want your need for vengeance to take you away from us." 

She was right and I knew it. I also had to think of Chipmunk first and foremost, no matter what.

However, I also knew that I would fight for my family, and I would fight against whoever hurts or even thinks of hurting my family, without thinking twice about it.

Yamna

A FEW MONTHS LATER

GRADUATION

"Graduating with First Class Honours, Yamna Yasin." 

I took a deep breath and walked up on the stage slowly, the graduation robe doing well to conceal the obviously growing Chipmunk.

I shook the hand of the important person- I forgot who it was- and smiled for a photo.

I could only get four tickets, and in the end, Rohaan, my parents and Tayan had come. Rohaan was live streaming it for the family back home, while Papa was filming it all.

When I started uni, I never imagined that I'd be graduating with you, Chipmunk, but you've made this moment doubly memorable for me.

As I took a seat once again, I glanced over my shoulder, trying to spot my family in the crowd, but it was impossible from here. 

I am truly blessed, Alhumdulillah.

Arsalan

"What's wrong?" I wrapped my arm around Hira's shoulders, frowning at her in concern.

She snuggled against me on the sofa in the living room of our Manchester flat. "I miss home." 

"Hira, this is our home now." I said, softly, kissing her forehead.

"It doesn't feel like." She shook her head. "I know that you're here for your career, Arsal, but I miss home, and I'll never deny it."

"Are you doing okay at the Rose Luxe here?" 

"Yeah, but now it feels like just a job." She sighed. "I actually miss seeing Hoor around."

She had no idea that I'd already looked through my contract, and had been disheartened to learn that I had to remain here for at least a year before I could request a transfer. The fact was that I was desperately homesick as well. I missed Mama, Papa and my siblings, as well as our entire extended family. And now, it seemed that we were stuck here.

Hira had been clearly unhappy here so far, even though she didn't complain too much. Some days, like today, she blurted out how much she missed home and our family. Other days, she wouldn't talk much, but the dimness in her eyes spoke all the words that remained unspoken by her lips. I knew her well enough to even notice when the brightness of her eyes had gone down even a notch. 

However, there was no point in expressing my own misery, and make her even more homesick, considering that we were stuck in this situation. It was better for me to try and help her adjust. It was better for both of us that way. 

"Come on, lets go to Wilmslow Road and try a new restaurant." I suggested, trying to cheer her up. We had seen so many different restaurants with cuisines from all around the world, and we had vowed to try as many as possible. There was a huge variety of halal food here, and I was looking forward to trying them all with Hira. Find the positive in the negative, right?

As expected, Mama had been hesitant about me and Hira moving to a different city. As usual, Papa had convinced her. 

But now I felt that, even though I loved the job, I should have listened to Mama.

What have I done?

APRIL

Yamna

Chipmunk was due any day now, and I was being spoilt endlessly. 

Currently, I sat in the conservatory of the Tariq family home, dressed in a white floor-length dress with lace sleeves. Haya Appi had placed a pink and white floral crown on my head.

Tahira had come from Manchester, Haya Appi and Hoor Appi were here, as well as Amira and Shay, my now best friends. The group had organised a small and intimate 'baby shower' for me.

Hoor Appi had braided my hair, with artificial motiya flowers woven through it. 

Currently, Anabia Mama and Mama sat on either side of me, giving me endless duas

"I still can't believe that you still don't know the gender!" Amira spoke in disbelief. 

"I wouldn't be able to wait, when it's my time." Shay laughed.

"I'm almost disappointed that she's not having twins." Haya Appi said. "I would have loved to have the double trouble drive Ro crazy."

"The way you two troubled me and your Papa?" Anabia Mama teased her.

"Or maybe, the way you and Mamu must have troubled Nano." Haya Appi giggled.

I smiled.

Rohaan had been an incredibly caring and considerate husband throughout my pregnancy. From fulfilling my food cravings, to ensure that I had everything that I wanted or needed surrounding me, he had been amazing. Honestly speaking, I hadn't expected this much care an affection, but he had been as perfect as a husband could be in this scenario.

"Only for Chipmunk." He had repeatedly teased me.

But I knew better. I knew how much he loved me, and did everything for my comfort.

My Mama wrapped her arm around my shoulders, pulling me gently against herself. "My sweet Sunshine. May Allah make labour easy for you, and bless you and the baby with good health and long lives. Ameen."

"Ameen." Everyone repeated.

Labour. Honestly speaking, that was terrifying the living daylights out of me. I cried at the smallest of pains, so how was I meant to manage labour pains? And then my postpartum body was going to need a lot of healing and care. How was I supposed to do that? Despite all the sessions with my midwife, with my doctor, I still panicked about what I was going to do. I knew I was probably being a little unreasonable, since I'd have Mama with me throughout my first forty days post-birth. In Sha Allah. She would guide me.  I was seriously starting to realise that a girl always needed her mother.

Oh Allah, I'm terrified. Please make labour easy for me. Ameen.

"Hamster?" 

My heart skipped a beat and I looked up. 

Rohaan stood in the doorway of the conservatory, dressed in black jeans and a black shirt, along with (naturally) black boots. "You've rested enough. Let's go."

"Excuse me?" I set my book aside. I was reading about Maryam (RA), and it was giving me great peace. 

"Come." He walked up to where I sat, and held out his hand.

"I'm too tired." I complained.

"Yamna, trust me. Come on. The doctor has encourage strolling." He reminded me. "I'm not asking you to run a marathon."

"Easy for you to say all that." I groaned, placing a hand in his. "Fine, but don't make me remain on my feet for too long." 

He smiled and led me out of the conservatory and into the garden. It was spring, but spring meant nothing in the UK. It was cloudy, and there was a little chill in the air. I was suddenly grateful to the shawl that Anabia Mama had given me after my friends had left the baby shower. He led me to the side gate, to a familiar tree-lined path.

"It's not right for me to leave civilisation when Chipmunk is due any day." I muttered. 

Of course I was familiar with the path, and with the hidden waterfall. As much as I loved that place, I didn't want to walk. I just wanted to sit somewhere inside, preferably under a warm throw or even a blanket.

But as we approached the waterfall, my hesitations evaporated. I gazed at the beautiful sight, sighing almost automatically. "I can never get enough of looking at this place."

"I thought Chipmunk could use a calm and serene scene. Otherwise, whenever Behaya's around, there's just chaos and noise."

I rolled my eyes. "My poor Haya Appi." 

He scoffed. "Poor? Behaya?" 

Fortunately, there was a bench here, where Dado had sat for hours to enjoy her peace, and then Anabia Mama had spent a lot of time, reading. I sat down on this bench. "Yes, Haya Appi. You're always picking on her." 

"Nobody picks on Haya Rehan Tariq. She, in fact, is the bane of my existence." 

"You watch. I'm going to make sure that Chipmunk is very attached to her." 

He sat down beside me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.  "I have no doubt that Chipmunk is going to adore my siblings, and will team up with them against me... especially with Behaya and Grasshopper."

"What goes around, comes around." I laughed, leaning my head against his chest. "I still can't believe that we're days away from meeting Chipmunk, In Sha Allah."

"It seems so unreal, doesn't it?" He stared absent-mindedly at the waterfall, and the next part he seemed to have spoken to himself. "I hope that I can be even half as good a father as Papa is."

I put my hand on his thigh. "You'll be great, Rohaan. In Sha Allah. I can feel it." 

He chuckled. "I feel that it would be better for us to have a son. If I have a daughter, I'd be overprotective of her beyond words to a point that people would get p**sed off with me." 

"Discrimination against sons." I shook my head in mock disapproval.

"Well, daughters have been discriminated since centuries, if not since the beginning of time." He shrugged. "Times have changed."

I frowned.

"Oh, come on, Hamster. You know I'm just messing about. If it's a son, he would still be the son of Detective Rohaan Rehan Tariq, and I'm just going to be as protective of him." 

"Good. No discrimination." 

"Papa did it. I'm just going to follow his footsteps." He burst out laughing.

"Not a word against Tayan." I warned him.

"Once a chamchi, always a chamchi." He continued laughing. 

"The one who will avenge us all is coming, In Sha Allah." I placed my hand over my belly. "Prepare yourself, Rohaan Rehan Tariq." 

The laughter was replaced by a soft, fond smile. "I cannot wait to see my cute Chipmunk, In Sha Allah."

I smiled as well. "In Sha Allah."

A few days later, Rohaan helped me into a seat in the waiting room at the police station. "I'll be done in ten, maximum fifteen minutes, and then I'll drive you to the hospital for the appointment."

I nodded, already pulling out my book from my bag to read. 

Rohaan was due to start his paternity leave (as soon as Chipmunk came into the world, In Sha Allah), and he had to finish off the last few tasks. 

While I got a year off, he got two week, but for him two weeks seem to mean two years. The husband of mine adored his work as much as me, it seems.

I kept reading and reading the same line over and over again, as my brain registered something unusual going on inside me. I shifted slightly, feeling a sense of discomfort. 

And suddenly, a sharp pain shot through me, making me gasp. Oh God, not here! I cannot be going into labour in a police station!

But Chipmunk was Rohaan's aulaad, and it seemed that an ideal location had been chosen for the moment I went into labour. 

With a trembling hand, I reached into my bag for my phone. I had to call Rohaan to take me to the hospital ASAP. But I'd barely moved when I felt wetness.

Oh my God.

My water just broke!

I was going into labour at the police station.

Chipmunk was coming!

As the title showed, this chapter has been a bit of a montage, to speed things along.

You all should have known that the chapter would have an ending like this lol!

Chipmunk is coming! 💙🎀💙🎀💙🎀💙🎀

Would it be a boy or a girl?

Favourite part?

Thoughts and comments?

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro