Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It's been about a week since I'd accidentally hurt myself, and I found myself looking at the slightly pink scar as I listened to Yukio's lecture. It was the tail end of class, and Anti-Demon Pharmaceutics was our last class of the day. I held back my yawn and pulled my gaze from my wrist, turning my attention to the front as I leaned my chin against my palm. Yukio droned on about specific herbs and plants that could be found in the wild. A surprising amount could be used for demonic ailments. After he finished his teachings, he told us to use the rest of the period to study and I took that as my cue to close my eyes.

"Okumura-sensei?" Bon piped up, and I heard my brother respond. "This might be a stupid question, but it's something I used to think about as a kid." My brother hummed and I found myself yawning again, the lull of sleep trying to pull me in. I resisted, however, remembering Yukio's words about my reputation. Closing my eyes is fine, but sleeping in class had to stop. "There are humans in Assiah, and demons in Gehenna. But what about angels, or a god? If they do exist, how come we can't see them?"

Whatever chatter there had been in the room quieted, all of us becoming curious about the answer; including myself. I kept my eyes closed, but I remained attentive. "That's not a stupid question, Suguro-san," my brother mused. "However, I want you to consider something: you can see demons can't you?" There wasn't a response, and I could only assume he nodded. "What about the rest of society? Does your typical citizen see them, as well?" Again, there wasn't a verbal answer, but I could safely assume everyone was disagreeing. "Alright, but since they can't see the demons, doesn't mean that they don't exist." The air was still in the room as everyone processed his words. It took a moment, but I was able to figure out what my twin was hinting at. "The same applies to angels and any god there might be. Even as Exorcists, we don't have proof that they exist, but we theorize that they might. Demons seek to terrorize humans. So, they tend to harm us, giving us a Temptaint. Seeing as how angels are supposed to help humanity, they would see no reason to give us Temptaints. Instead, they help without being seen."

Yukio finished his rambling, and the class fell silent, no doubt pondering the newfound knowledge. I mulled it over in my head, but the philosophical side of it was too much for my exhausted brain to handle. I stopped my musing and the class continued as before. I could barely hear the sounds of pencils on paper and the swish of pages being turned. The sounds were soothing, and without any other stimulation, my mind grew quiet, and I soon forgot my pledge to stay awake.

.oOo.

I was awoken with a jolt, my ass hitting the floor before I could even open my eyes. I rubbed my eyes before glaring at Ryuji, who was towering over me. Agitation grew inside of me at his pissed expression. "What the hell, man?!" I barked, and I saw his brown eyes grow darker.

"Shut the hell up, Okumura. Why even bother showing up to class if you're going to treat it like a bedroom?" He clenched his jaw, and a vein in his temple throbbed. "Do you even learn anything when you're here?" I heard my brother chide from the front of the room, but he didn't intervene, not yet. I didn't blame him, not with how often this occurred.

I yawned, shooting a bored look up at the burly teen above me. "You done yet? We go through this every week, and I'd like a rain check." I leaned forward and began to push myself up, but Suguro had different ideas. I felt his boot collide with my shoulder and I cussed as I was shoved down to the floor. I could feel the tread of his sole through my academy jacket and I gave the guy a dubious glare. I'll be pissed if he ruins this jacket.

"I'm sick of your shit, dude." He spat out, "I don't know how Okumura-sensei has dealt with your ass for as long as he has." His boot pushed down on me again, and I grunted in pain. "I don't have that much patience." His face became covered in shadows as he tilted his head down, a glint in his eye. "As an exorcist in training. I would've exorcised your ass a long time ago."

"Ryuji Suguro, that's enough!" Yukio snapped. "You've taken it too far, go report to Sir Pheles."

My twin's demand was ignored, however. "In fact, Okumura, didn't he already try that? When you offed your old man, I'm sure he had a gun to your head." The fire inside me grew hotter at his mention of our father. I had half a mind to kick his teeth in for even thinking of him. I struggled against his hold, but he held me firm. "I mean, what else could that commotion be on the first day?" He growled lowly, "Why he hasn't blown your brain out is beyond me."

I growled back at him. "Fuck you, Suguro. Don't talk about shit you don't understand." Finally, after a bit of a struggle, I was able to unpin myself from under his heel. I pushed myself to my feet and promptly shoved the asshole to the side, ready to be done with this class. I hadn't heard the bell ring, but with the current events, I assumed the class was well over.

Suddenly, I was pulled backward, and I stumbled into a nearby desk. "I'm not done talking," Suguro snarled.

I quipped back at him, questioning his sanity at this point. He continued berating me, and I saw saliva fly out of his mouth and land on my cheek. In my annoyance, my lip curled up and a dark laugh escaped through my lips. "You're fucking disgusting."

I didn't even have time to process it before Suguro's fist shot out, clocking my right on the jugular. My eyes flew wide as I stumbled backward, gripping onto a desk as I coughed. The class broke into chaos, the gossip and cries of my peers steering my anger. I heard my twin's voice mixed in with the sound, but I paid it no mind. My throat was tight, and I wheezed as I gasped. But I took a step forward, my rage channeling into my fists as I swung. I landed a solid hit to his shoulder and took pride in his pained grunt. My satisfaction was cut short, though, when his fist crashed into my ribs. The air escaped my lungs, and I just barely registered his other fist swinging toward my face. I dodged below his assault, coming back with full force as I shoved him in the stomach. My attacker was sent backward several feet, landing on his ass close to a wall.

I didn't even get a chance to relish in my victory before pain radiated from the side of my face. I stumbled to the side but immediately steadied myself, prepared to send my next assailant to the hospital and not the nurse's office. That thought quickly died, however, when it was Yukio who entered my vision. Another fist shot out, and I just barely dodged it. My mind was reeling, why was he fighting me? I was the victim here. He took a step forward, and I ducked down as he swung at me, again. I didn't want to hurt him, and I found myself on the defensive, something I wasn't used to when it came to fighting.

"Calm down, Rin!" Yukio spat out, his teal eyes shining with unbridled emotions. The sight caused me to falter, which ended up in getting my jaw rocked.

I rubbed my aching chin, glaring daggers at my brother. "What the fuck are you spewing now? You're the one who flipped shit on me!"

"Control your flames then, idiot!" He spun on his heel, and I dropped to the floor before he could land a kick. Catching sight of my hands, I saw the slightest blue aura surrounding myself. It was barely enough to cause a few flames. He was attacking over this? This wasn't even enough to singe the hair on your head.

I growled, my gaze snapping up to meet cautious teal eyes. "What the fuck, Yukio. I'm the victim here!" My eyes shot over to where Bon stood, anger and wariness shining in his own expression. Oh, so I'm the nutcase here? "He's the one who initiated this whole thing. He even threw the first punch! Yet, I'm the one getting grilled? What kind of fucked up logic is that??" Fire shot through my veins as my emotions heightened, and I was acutely aware that my flames were more pronounced. Calm down, Okumura, or else you'll only prove them right. I tried to take a deep breath, but the air left my lungs when I saw Yukio inch toward his pistol, his eyes shining in fear. Was he scared of me, or scared to shoot me?

My gaze snapped over to my frightened classmates, and I found myself remembering the last few words Suguro said to me. I returned my gaze to my anxious twin, the sight of his wary position - hand hovering over his pistol - set me on edge. "Bringing back the topic of our first day here, you remember our conversation, don't you?" I spat out, my flames licking against my skin. "I'm still your brother, dammit! Don't point your gun at me, I've never pointed a weapon at you! Yet, you wouldn't hesitate to blow my brains out if I so much as trip in the wrong direction." His expression fell at my accusation.

"I'll second that, but not in favor of Satan's spawn. I won't hesitate to kill you, Okumura." There was that rooster, again. The sound of his voice was really starting to piss me off. I watched as Bon took a few steps forward, closing the distance between us. "Do what your brother suggested that first day and give yourself up to Order Headquarters, or die. Your choice." I growled and pushed myself up to my feet. I barely registered Yukio readjusting himself, his pistol was drawn now, albeit, he had it aimed down at the floor, away from me. Still, the fact he felt the need to do even that was aggravating.

I sneered as I gave my full attention to the asshat in front of me, "Can it, Suguro. You keep running your mouth about shit you have no business in." I took a step forward, cocking my head to the side and squinting at the taller teen. "How the fuck would you know what Yukio and I talked about that day, anyway? You were out in the hall."

He burst into laughter, "You truly are an idiot. It's called eavesdropping." He quieted his cackles, giving me a level glare. "If I recall correctly, Okumura-sensei said something along the lines of: Why'd you wanna be an Exorcist? Was it some sort of twisted sense of atonement?" I flinched at his words, realizing he may have heard the entire conversation. "That if you truly felt bad about murdering your dad, you would just give yourself up to headquarters, or die." Those last two words were coupled with a sly smirk, and I heard my twin grunt from beside me. I wonder if it hurt him to hear his words repeated. Not that I cared at the moment, I was barely containing myself as it was. My vision grew a bit hazy and I blinked a few times to clear it. Bon seemed to sense my turmoil because he sighed, but not due to worry, he was exasperated. "Just fucking kill yourself, dude. We'd all be better off without you around."

A warning growl ripped through my throat and I felt tears burn in my eyes. I wanted to rip out his throat and make him eat the words that were now plaguing my mind. I took a step forward, feeling my flames intensify. My rage reached its peak and I contemplated crippling him, but I decided on simply making him bleed.

*BANG!*

The crack of a gun threw me into an instinctive spiral, I felt my flames fully engulf me and I spun in the direction of the sound. I heard the sounds of my classmates screaming, and I caught sight of the muzzle fire. Time seemingly slowed down, and I wondered if this is how I would die. The trajectory of the bullet was aimed directly at my torse, a lethal blow. My eyes widened and I reacted on impulse. Either I stop the bullet with something else or die trying to get away from it. My vision swam and suddenly I found myself on the floor, time flowing at a normal pace again.

There was so much screaming, and I would've yelled for them to quiet down if I could find my voice. I stared down at my clasped hand, blood pouring out and spilling onto the wooden floor. I brought my clasped hands to my lips, mouthing the words that echoed in my head; He shot me.

My palm burned with the heat of a thousand suns, but the pain was overshadowed by the anguish those three words brought me. My own brother shot me. He actually fucking shot me. And not only did he fire at me, but he was also trying to kill me. A strangled sound clawed its way up my throat and my head hurt with how fast my thoughts were racing.

After what seemed like an eternity, I felt a presence kneel beside me. I squeezed my eyes shut when Yukio began to speak, his voice shaking. "Nii-san, are you okay?" I wondered who he could be talking to because he certainly had no right to call me by that name. I felt warmth on my shoulder and my eyes shot open, my hand snapping to the side to knock away his own. My anger got the best of me and I shoved him, and the look in his eyes when he fell on his ass was pitiful. I'd never laid my hands on Yukio like this. However, he's never shot me before, either. I believe my actions are justified.

"Okumura Yukio, You no longer have the right to ask me if I'm okay." I seethed, "I'm glad to know that; not only would you point your gun at me and fire, but you would make it a fatal shot, too." I watched as his face fell with each word, and he began sputtering. One specific word ground into me.

"Nii-san..."

I snarled at him and started to get to my feet. The adrenaline was beginning to wear off and my knees wobbled. I tossed the bloodied bullet to the floor, and it rolled to a stop in front of the teal-eyed teen. I averted my gaze, deciding I couldn't look at him anymore. Making my way to the door, I kept my head low, not wanting anyone to see the tears that were misting in my eyes. I watched their feet as they scampered away from me. No doubt they were terrified, I'd almost attacked one of them. And shooting a beast doesn't calm it down, it enrages it. I understood their fear.

My fingers dripped as I raised my hand and shoved the door open, my blood smearing the wood. Turning on my heels, I took a shaky breath before taking my first few steps toward the dorm.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro