Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

EXQUISITE CORPSE

Elijah slept peacefully.

Her head was pressed near his chest and she listened to the sound of his undead heart beating. His arms were wrapped tightly around her which she was content to relax in and snuggle into his side (and if forever was on her side, she knew this is where she'd stay).

His phone kept going off and he didn't even hear it. She wondered if it was her presence that put him at such ease that he didn't even hear his phone with supernatural hearing. (But her wondering was quite true. This was his happy ending: holding her in his arms and nothing could wake him from it.)

Jenny ignored the ringing a couple of times as she didn't want to wake him after last night. He had been her rock last night that had coaxed her into calming down and falling asleep in his arms. Although, she just didn't stay asleep.

Also, she knew there were very few moments that Elijah was at peace. Often he was worrying about something and she didn't want him to worry, at least, for a little while longer.

But the phone rang again and she sighed. She leaned over Elijah to grab his phone but his arms tightened even more around her and his voice startled her, "Where do you think you're going?"

His voice was husky and quiet. He spoke like it was preposterous that she was even moving to leave his arms.

She lifted her head up to look at him as she was practically laying on top of him now. One of his hands was drawing slow circles on her lower back with his fingers.

"Your phone," she answered.

He hummed, "It can wait."

"It could be important," she argued.

"I would say your rather important," he said before looking at her with careful eyes, worried eyes. "Everything can wait until I know you're okay."

She realized that she had become something Elijah worried about and she hated that. She knew that in the past he had his secret worries that something would take her away from him. But this was different; this time, she was broken and he wanted to fix her.

She didn't use to be broken.

"For now," she answered before she held a bright smile. "But even if I wasn't, we'd always have tomorrow."

Tomorrow. He didn't think he loved a word more than that one. The word that became their form of forever. She was looking at him with hopeful eyes that gave him butterflies, his chest felt warm, and he swore he couldn't breathe for a moment.

He smiled as his hand tucked her hair behind her ear before he lifted his head up from the pillow to kiss her gently for a moment because he couldn't help it, because he always wanted to kiss the smile on her lips, because he loved it when she was happy (even if she was only happy for him).

"Tomorrow," he promised once his lips left hers. He promised softly, quietly, madly that made her feel like her heart crashed against her chest. He promised like in one of those love stories he never quite believed in until he met his Jenny.

_____

"You brought her here?" Hayley stood outside the home that the elder witch Josephine lived in. It was where Elijah told her to meet him once he finally answered the phone.

"She's not coming inside," Elijah responded once he reached Hayley as he looked at Jenny one last time who was told to wait in the car before they headed inside.

Gia was beside Elijah as she was apparently the witch whisperer with her violin skills. The young vampire had gotten to meet Jenny and the mortal had offered her a wide smile as a greeting and she thought Jenny was a sweetheart.

"She's really nice...and pretty....and perfect," Gia explained. "I really get why he's all twisted up about her."

Elijah smiled tightly, "Gia, less talk would be appreciated."

"Oh, right," Gia said as she looked at Hayley who looked a bit bitter.

_____

Elijah met with Josephine LaRue to try to extend the 24-hours and get Rebekah back before the witches hunted down Eva Sinclair and killed her along with Rebekah.

"We agree she must be stopped - no more of our youth will die," Josephine stood to her feet. "That is why, Mr. Mikaelson, I will not extend your twenty-four hours."

The party of three was stunned as Josephine continued, "Eva Sinclair now has a bounty on her head."

Elijah spoke with outrage, "You would condemn my sister to her death?"

Josephine turned her head, eyes searching, like she sensed something. She held a considerate expression, "Perhaps, an arrangement can be made if I can meet the one you keep outside."

"What do you want with her?" Elijah asked defensively.

"Well, that is for her and I to discuss," Josephine answered.

Elijah started to shake his head but Hayley spoke up, "Elijah, a talk can't hurt. And this is for Rebekah."

He clenched his jaw and looked at Josephine, "You can meet her."

She smiled, "That's all I ask."

____

Elijah retrieved Jenny.

"She wants to meet me?" she asked as they walked through the house while holding hands.

"Yes," he sighed. "But she is difficult to please."

"I believe I am much better at charming people than you," she gave him a teasing smile.

He looked at her in surprise, "Is that a challenge?"

She leaned over kissing his cheek as she replied wryly with an adorable little smile, "No, of course not. I would never dare challenge you, Mr. Mikaelson."

A humorous smile formed on his lips which was exactly what she wanted. Even though it was a very tense day, she wanted him to lighten up.

"Then you'll just have to prove it to me, Ms. Stevens," he leaned towards her, uttering quietly in her ear.

"I will," she held her head high as they entered the room with Josephine along with Hayley and Gia. Elijah brought her closer but held her behind him.

He was going to introduce them but Jenny stepped out from behind Elijah, mustering up her brightest smile (which wasn't hard considering Elijah was in her presence), "I'm Jenny Stevens. I understand you wanted to meet me."

"Josephine LaRue," Josephine nodded respectfully towards her before analyzing her. "Such a bright thing; it is rather refreshing to see."

Jenny gave a small look to Elijah, practically bragging that she'd won this little challenge. He put his hands in his pockets, sighing, but stared at her adoringly.

Hayley was finally seeing Elijah with Jenny. She watched the whole interaction and how Elijah was bright-eyed as his eyes glued themselves to the smile that could light up any room. It was such a change from the normal Elijah that never let any emotion show; because it was as clear as day that he was a fool for Jenny. Hayley imagined that even if the most beautiful woman walked into the room right now that his eyes would've never even moved.

It was obvious that Elijah Mikaelson was content to adore Jenny Stevens for the rest of his eternal life.

"I'm surprised to see what dark company you keep," Josephine commented.

Jenny tilted her head but her smile didn't falter, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"No," Josephine looked between her and Elijah before focusing solely on Jenny. "I suppose you wouldn't. You did, after all, choose to leave a peaceful afterlife and become the lost soul now standing in front of me."

Her smile faltered and Elijah furrowed his eyebrows. She didn't know what to say for a moment and Elijah spoke for her, "What do you know about her?"

"I know that I will extend your 24 hours if I can speak with her alone."

"Why do you want to talk to her?" Hayley questioned.

"She is a great deal of importance in the witch community," Josephine explained before looking at Jenny. "But I suspect you already know that."

Jenny did know. She had witches that had been hunting her.

"You can talk with her now," Elijah countered. "Not alone."

"I suppose you feel she depends on your presence but, Mr. Mikaelson, that decision is not up to you," Josephine looked at Jenny.

Elijah turned his head to Jenny who was already looking at him with a knowing look. Elijah had hardly left her side for days. She decided it was time to leave his shadow and to perhaps get her own.

"You'll have your 24 hours and you can help Rebekah. Go. I'll be fine."

"Jenny..." he went to argue.

"This is my decision."

Elijah knew there was no arguing with her and he clenched his jaw before looking at Josephine, "If any harm comes to her..."

"I expect I'll learn about the terrible side of your reputation," the elder witch said. "But no harm will come to her from me."

Elijah went to leave with the others but he kissed her softly on the forehead before whispering, "Stay safe."

"That applies to you, too, you know," she uttered as she grabbed his hand one last time, knowing that when he left, she wouldn't feel anything.

"I'll try," he smiled as he kissed her fingertips and then he let her go and he left with the others.

She turned to Josephine with her arms crossed, "So what do you know about lost souls?"

Josephine sat down and gestured to the side table, "Would you like some tea?"

Jenny sighed, not forgetting her manners and sat down, taking some tea. Already, she could feel his absence and how the numbness set in.

Her smile dimmed.

"I know what I have learned and I have learned more today than from any book," Josephine said. "You have this magical aura around you connecting you to the dead. I can sense it as all witches do."

"Can every witch sense it, all over the world?" she asked.

"Every witch even if they don't know what it is."

"So I'll always be hunted?" Jenny put down the tea.

"I can enact a cloaking spell if you would like. It'll hide the magic around you."

"I would like that," Jenny said kindly and Josephine reached over grabbing her wrists before muttering Latin phrases while closing her eyes.

After a few moments, Josephine let go of her and opened her eyes. She smiled, "That should do the trick."

Jenny analyzed her, "Why are you helping me?"

"Because, dear Jenny, I would like to train you to hone your gifts..." Josephine explained. "...and I believe in kindness when one is deserving of it."

"I wouldn't call it a gift," she said, thinking about how she traveled back to the dark place last night out of her control.

"Isn't it? After all, I believe the spiritual energy surrounding you would act as a sort of barrier to some forms of magic," Josephine explained. "You would need that particular gift seeing as your soul is tied to an Original."

Jenny had trouble processing the information being thrown at her before she responded, "What do you mean, tied?"

Josephine cocked her head at Jenny, "He is the one you're lost because of, is he not?"

"Yes."

"Then your soul cannot exist on this plane if he is not in it. It is why you were allowed to be brought back," Josephine said. "If he dies, then you would perish as well."

"I..." Jenny took a deep breath but that still wasn't enough; it was like everything was out to overwhelm her. "I need a minute."

And she left the room.

_____

While she was gone, Eva and Vincent showed up.

"The revered Josephine LaRue. How are you on this very fine day, dear?" Eva greeted as Josephine's hand shook so badly that the teacup rattled in its saucer.

"You look nervous. Are you nervous, Josie? You should be. You see, I just need one more special witch, well, special person to complete my circle," Eva circled Josephine. "And I know you cloaked her but I sensed her here before you did."

"Now, the hybrid child was a target of opportunity," Eva said. "But that spirit girl. She's a target of choice."

"Then come and get me," Jenny stepped into the room.

"Ah, Jenny," Eva smiled wickedly and raised her hand but nothing happened.

"Why...why didn't it work?" Eva said in anger before stomping over to Jenny.

Jenny felt that cold around her and the darkness creep from behind her. She started to see double, a wicked Eva and another that looked at her with helplessness and she knew that was Rebekah.

"Your power will be mine," Eva raised a knife to carve a symbol into her forehead.

"No, it won't," Jenny said simply as she reached out and touched the Eva double as she let the darkness carry her away along with Eva's spirit.

And Jenny disappeared into thin air.

____

Jenny walked on black glass again and shadows were all around. She was calm as she stood in the darkness although that couldn't be said for Eva.

"Where the hell are we? What did you do?" Eva screamed.

"What the hell is happening?" Eva stared down at herself as all the color of her body slowly disappeared. She looked like a character in a black and white film, like a ghost.

Jenny looked down at herself to see she retained her color before looking at Eva, "Your spirit...is dead."

"No, it isn't. I'm not dead," Eva shouted. "I'll kill you for this!"

Eva ran to attack her but she only ended up going right through Jenny. Eva turned back around, looking bewildered.

"You can't kill anyone here. You're just a spirit," Jenny said. "You'll be able to watch your loved ones here if that's what you'd like or you can find peace."

Eva started to cry and her voice seemed to echo, "Vince."

"I hope you choose peace, Eva," Jenny said, looking around at the plane of the dead. "Because everyone goes mad here."

Then Jenny closed her eyes and thought about Elijah, her home, and hoped her wish would carry her away from the darkness.

______

It had been hours since Jenny disappeared. Marcel had gotten a call from Davina saying she was in some warehouse with a bunch of other kids. The body of Eva Sinclair was taken back over by Rebekah; Josephine had confirmed that the spirit of Eva was gone.

"I told you. I didn't do anything," Vincent defended. "She touched Eva and then disappeared. That's all I know."

"Somehow," Elijah circled Vincent. "I don't believe you."

Elijah held Vincent in the air by his neck. He choked while Elijah demanded, "Tell me where she is."

"I. Don't. Know," Vincent barely got out.

"Maybe he's telling the truth, Elijah," Rebekah said.

Jenny appeared back in the room suddenly and was disoriented for a moment before she took in the scene. She was alarmed as she called out, "Elijah!"

Elijah turned his head in an instant and dropped Vincent to the ground. Elijah vamp sped in front of her, cradling her face, "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay," she reassured.

"What happened?"

"I..." Jenny chose her words carefully. "I removed Eva."

"What do you mean you removed her?" Rebekah asked.

"Just...that she's gone," Jenny responded as she took a step back from Elijah. She felt guilty, something she hadn't felt at all until now; now that she was in his presence. She realized Eva was bad but, still...she'd killed someone and as she looked at Elijah who looked hurt that she stepped away from him, she knew she'd do it again.

______

Jenny was back home with Elijah and she was quite distant with him but only because there were so many things to say. She didn't even hold his hand on the drive home.

"Are you scared of me?" Elijah loosened his tie as they walked inside because he felt like he couldn't breathe if that were true.

"No," Jenny immediately shook her head. "I...I'm scared of myself."

"When I said I removed Eva, I mean...she's dead and I did that. I killed her," tears built up in her eyes. "And I felt nothing because I don't feel anything when I'm not with you."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I guided her spirit to the dead and left her there because I'm this thing now," she gestured to herself. "I mean, that I physically and emotionally cannot feel anything unless I'm with you."

"I mean," silent tears slipped down her cheeks. "That I am alive now and I am still just as lost as I was there."

"Jenny," he stepped closer to her and wiped the tears from his cheeks with his thumbs. "Why didn't you find peace when you were dead?"

He was still hooked on that line that Josephine said, You did, after all, choose to leave a peaceful afterlife. Whenever Jenny talked about the dark place she went to, he always assumed she was placed there, like it was some punishment for loving him.

"I did," she admitted tearfully. "For a time. But I couldn't stay there."

"Why?"

She looped her arms around Elijah's neck as she smiled up at him. She left her peaceful afterlife because she had to kill a part of herself when she was dead to keep the part that loved him. She didn't know if that was sad or romantic but she would never change it.

"Because you drive me crazy, Elijah Mikealson," she said quite happily.

He caressed her cheek before pressing his forehead gently to hers as he responded sadly, "How can you be happy to love me when you're lost because of me?"

"I'm lost without you," she corrected. "I once said I'd rather be in Hell than without you and that's still true. It'll always be true."

He could always marvel at how much she loved him or how much he loved her. He could spend his eternal life just being in awe of it but instead he kissed her. And with his kiss, she didn't feel so lost in the chaos of loving him.

AN: okay, I put quite a lot in this chapter and I hope everything is getting across well about what Jenny is. But in case it's not clear, Jenny is basically a spirit guide.

You're gonna learn more in the next chapter about Jenny and I'm gonna try to lighten it up. It's been very heavy emotionally and I apologize but that's kind of because it has to be.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro