Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When Jenny arrived home that day, she was greeted with another rose placed on her porch. She studied it curiously as she picked it up, wondering who kept sending them. But she locked the mystery away in her mind for another day.

_______

"You're finally dating him?" Jenna asked ecstatically over the phone.

"It's the first date," Jenny said as she rifled through her closet. "It could turn out completely horrible which it probably will because I have nothing to wear."

"Don't panic," Jenna calmed. "I have something you can wear. I'll come over Friday and be your fairy godmother."

Jenny smiled a bit. Cinderella was their favorite Disney movie. "Thanks, Jenna."

"You're my best friend. We look out for each other," Jenna responded. "Plus, we have to make sure Elijah is completely hooked."

"Well, I think I'm hooked on him."

________

It was finally Friday and Jenny was panicking. She hadn't panicked this much since her SAT's in high school.

"I haven't seen you like this since..." Jenna stated as she handed Jenny the dress she found in the back of her closet.

"SAT's. I know."

"What are you so nervous about?"

"I haven't gone on a date since high school and it's only been with Mason," Jenny bit her lip with a frown. "I wasn't nervous then. But I am now. Elijah makes me feel like...like I'm out of my skin, and I'm the type of person that plans out my day to a T. I mean, that's crazy, right?"

Jenna just smiled and Jenny was clueless as to what it meant, "Oh, Jenny. You already lost the glass slippers, didn't you?"

________

"How do I look?"

Jenna had given her a white lace dress that flowed out to her knees. She had already done her makeup, all light colors except for her lips which were coated in a bright, red lipstick. Her hair was down in its natural wavy curls with the front strands on both sides of her head pinned to the back in a little braid.

"You look hot," Jenna chuckled, "Elijah is going to be starstruck."

"Thanks."

"Okay," Jenna grabbed her purse. "I'm gonna go home. You better give me all the details when you get home. I don't care how late it is."

"I will. I promise."

________

Jenny waited for Elijah until the door bell rang. She happily went to go get it but when she opened it she found someone she wasn't expecting.

"Damon," she sighed, and smiled slightly.

"Wow," Damon analyzed her.

She crossed her arms, "I have a date tonight, Damon. What is it?"

"Look, Jen," Damon swallowed. "I don't say this, ever, but I'm sorry. I kissed you and I shouldn't have."

"And do you still want to kiss me?"

"Jen," Damon smirked. "I always want to kiss you."

"Damon," she gave him a look telling him to be serious.

"I'm not stupid enough to believe we can be together," Damon responded as he frowned. "I know we missed our chance before we even met."

"Of course, I forgive you," Jenny responded, smiling slightly, sadly. "What we have is complicated and...I don't think it ever won't be. But you'll always be my friend, Damon."

Damon smiled, glad he'd always her for however long she lived, before he sighed, "If he doesn't treat you the way you deserve, I'm finding a way to murder him."

"I know you will."

________

Damon left and the doorbell rang again. She took a deep breath before going to the door and opening it. Elijah was dressed in a suit, black and with no tie. But he never looked more handsome.

His breath was stolen away, not by her dress nor how perfect she looked, but by how she smiled when she saw him. He was irrevocably done for when he saw that happy gleam in her eyes.

"I would say you look stunning," Elijah smiled. "But there are no words to describe how beautiful you are."

Jenny blushed, "You look stunning, too."

Elijah held his arm out, "Are you ready?"

Jenny felt completely out of her skin, alive, right in this moment like every moment with Elijah. She was buzzing with so much happiness she felt crazy. She'd never known love to be mad but in that moment she wondered how she'd gone her whole life without insanity.

"I think I've been ready my whole life," she smiled her realest smile, one that she didn't tell herself to have, but one that was completely automatic and she looped her arm with his.

________

Elijah took her to some fancy dinner place; she didn't think he'd do anything less with him wearing expensive suits all the time. She ate foods she never even heard of and she finally got Elijah to spill, at least, a little about his life. She still only had bits and pieces but it was enough for her; for now.

"Did I do well?" he asked after the bill had been paid for.

She had insisted on paying half but he pulled the bill out of her reach and he wore this little amused smirk as he filled out the bill knowing she was just sitting in front of him in aggravation. She couldn't help but love the expression on his face and she couldn't help but love admiring him when he wasn't looking. And all her stubbornness simmered away.

"Well, the night isn't over yet," Jenny responded, a mischievous glint in her eyes which made Elijah furrow his eyebrows as she stood up.

"Dance with me," Jenny insisted. There was a couples' dance floor and she'd be damned if she didn't get the most out of this date.

"Well, I can't disappoint you on the first date," he stood up and he entwined his hand with hers before leading her to the dance floor. 

They were all slow songs and they swayed gently to the music for awhile. She had her head pressed against his shoulder and he rested his chin gently against the top of her head. Time felt like it stopped as the only focus the two of them was on each other. Neither of them had ever felt more content than in that moment.

"Why did you not want me to say yes?" she asked softly. She couldn't help but wonder and she didn't want to ask until now.

She thought at first he wasn't going to answer or he didn't hear her but he sighed, "I ruin everyone I care about."

"That won't always be the case," she assured. "It can't be."

"I hope so," he laid a gentle kiss on the top of her head that lingered as if he was praying that was true.

_________

Elijah took her home and followed her to the door. Her hand was entwined with his and she really didn't want to let it go. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, "It was perfect, Elijah. You were perfect."

She reluctantly pulled her hand away but before she could take a step away, he grabbed her hand again and held it for a moment like he craved the nearness of her like she craved his. Then he brought her hand to his lips, laying a chaste kiss on her knuckles, "I'm far from perfect but as long as I am in your eyes."

Instead of saying goodnight like every other date would, he smiled slightly and ended it with their phrase that had become a promise, "Tomorrow." And he turned away after he saw her smile, the one he lived for now.

AN: I'm really nervous I didn't do well on this chapter. Did it have enough fluff? This was THE chapter that caused me not to update for like two years so I'm hella nervous.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro