Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Summer break was nearly over.

Two more months had passed since her birthday. She had a long, sober, chat with Damon. She had felt terrible for any sort of leading him on in her drunken state but he didn't blame her; he felt like he should've been the better man that night instead of taking advantage of her but he felt he always did the wrong thing.

In the end, they both agreed to only be friends. Although, she wasn't quite sure if that was what Damon really wanted. She was too scared to ask, afraid to break his heart.

______

Now, today was Elena's birthday and she knew Jenna would want her to be there for the young girl now the age of an adult. That's why she went next door early in the morning.

She had knocked on the door and Alaric opened it. She smiled as she walked in, "Hey Alaric."

He smiled back. He was used to letting her in. She always checking up on Jeremy and Elena but she always wound up checking up on him, too, her heart too big not to.

His eyes caught on to what was in her arms, "Are those cupcakes?"

"Yes, it's Elena's birthday," she said just as the girl of the day came down the stairs.

Elena froze at the bottom of the stairs as she saw the cupcakes and she knew what was coming. It was a look of horror, "No."

"Yes," Jenny argued, grabbing Elena's hand and dragging the girl to the kitchen. "Jeremy Gilbert, get downstairs right now!"

Elena and Alaric were surprised when immediately rushed steps were heard coming down the stairs. In their surprise, Jenny took a cupcake out, putting a candle in it and lighting it.

"What are we doing?" Jeremy asked as he came around the corner before he saw the lit cupcake in her hands.

Jeremy smiled as he teased, "Are we singing happy birthday?"

"No," Elena had red cheeks lit up in embarrassment. "I'm too old for this."

"Nonsense, Elena," Jenny said before starting the song. "Now..."

Jeremy put an arm around his sister's shoulders as he all too gladly sang happy birthday, loving how embarrassed she was. Alaric sang it half-heartedly, feeling like he was intruding on a family moment. Elena had her arms crossed and she acted like she didn't love it but she had a small smile on her face as the truth was that Jenny made her feel like she was still apart of a family; like it wasn't broken.

When the singing stopped, Jenny held the cupcake up, "Now, make a wish."

Elena sighed and blew out the candle, making a wish that Stefan would come back to her. Jenny took out the candle and handed the cupcake to Elena, "Red velvet. Your favorite."

Elena smiled and gently grabbed it. Alaric worked his way around the kitchen to make coffee. Jeremy squeezed Elena before he let her go, "I have to get to work but have a great day, Elena."

Elena watched him go before she turned her head back around, seeing Jenny slide a small black box to her. She furrowed her eyebrows as she set her cupcake down to grab the box.

"Jenny, you didn't have to get me anything," Elena said.

"I didn't," Jenny explained. "Damon found it and said Stefan had given it to you before. I figured you'd want it back."

Once Elena heard that, she quickly opened the box to see the necklace Stefan had given to her. Tears formed in her eyes before she looked at Jenny, "Thanks."

"You can thank me by having fun at your party tonight," Jenny gave her a pointed look.

"I'm not sure Caroline will let me have anything but," Elena chuckled before she furrowed her eyebrows. "How did you convince Damon to let Caroline throw a party?"

"I just asked," Jenny said, putting the other cupcakes in the fridge as both Elena and Alaric shared a look.

Elena's phone went off and she checked it before she put it in her pocket, "I have to go help Caroline set up the party."

Elena came over to Jenny and hugged her. With Jenny, she still felt like she had a piece of Jenna, of her Mom, of her Dad, of her old life when she was normal, when she still had all of her family. She let go and left, taking the cupcake with her, eating a bite and shouting as she got to the door, "These are still the best!"

Jenny chuckled as the door shut and Alaric spoke, "That was, uh, that was nice...thoughtful..."

Alaric felt like he wasn't really there for Jeremy and Elena yet they still let him stay here. He wished he could be more like Jenny in this regard. She always took care of them even though she lived next door.

Jenny gave him an encouraging smile and she put a hand on his shoulder, "You're not failing. Just being here is enough."

"Thanks," he smiled slightly as he looked down at her.

She nodded and dropped her hand before turning to coffee pot he still couldn't get to work, simply pressing a button. He sighed as she gave him a grin, "I'll take my leave now."

"Yeah, uh, see you around Jenny," he called at her leaving figure and looked at the evil coffee pot that had gotten the best of him.

_____

It was dark out now and Jenny got a knock on the door. She opened it in surprise as she furrowed her eyebrows, "Stefan."

"Hi, Jenny," he smiled but it looked wrong and he stepped towards her. The way he moved was like that of a predator which made her start to close the door but he stopped it with his hand.

Jenny didn't know there was nothing she could do. The vampire had been invited in before once with Elena. She was doomed.

______

Damon was at the party at his house with Alaric. They were both drinking when his phone rang. He pulled it out, seeing it was Jenny.

He didn't expect her to come over here tonight, afraid of the rumors that would spread. But he smiled as he muttered, "My best girl." He didn't notice Alaric shake his head.

He got up to go answer it. He put the phone to his ear, "Jenny."

"Hello, brother."

Damon froze in his hallway and Stefan continued talking, "You need to stop following us, Damon, or someone just might pay the price."

The call ended and Damon was quick in moving out of the house. Once he got outside, he vamp sped to Jenny's house. His heart was pounding so hard once he reached the open doorway. He could smell it.

He went inside, following the scent of blood. Her blood. He could only hope his little brother hadn't torn her apart like all his other victims.

He found her body unmoving on the floor. There was blood pooling from her neck. Stefan had drained her and Damon couldn't hear a heartbeat.

"No, no, no. Not you," Damon said as he crouched down next to her. He bit into his wrist and tried feeding her his blood.

But she didn't respond. He kept trying it over and over again. "Come on, come on. You can't die...."

He pulled her into his lap and his chin rested atop her head as a tear fell down his cheek, "I need you to wake up and smile that stupid smile..."

He held her as more tears fell down his cheeks and he thought this was last time he would ever hold her. But then her eyes started fluttering and he felt the biggest relief. She tasted a metallic taste in her mouth before she gasped and started fighting to get out of his hold, not knowing who it was.

"Hey, hey, it's me," his voice calmed her down only slightly.

"Your brother...." she started breathing uncontrollably in fear. "He had fangs and his face..."

He clenched his jaw and he moved around her to look her in eyes. She questioned him, "What is he?"

But then she saw the grave, slightly nervous look on his face and she asked in a small voice, "What are you?"

Damon debated with himself before he came to conclusion that she would just be in more danger if she knew. But, also, he was selfish and he couldn't take it if she hated him.

So he compelled her to forget.

AN: idk when the next update will be as I have to focus back on the school. But good news, I'm skipping through a lot of episodes since Jenny isn't involved in the supernatural so probably only like two more chapters until a certain someone comes back.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro