7. Zipped up with nowhere to go pt 2

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

cut to me just using Grey's Anatomy characters as doctors now, it's free real estate since we all know I'm shit at making up names

Nyx_Was_Never_Here reminded me of this part that i meant to do a pt 2 to but never did so everyone thank them 

Dick woke up feeling groggy. He'd had enough anaesthesia enough times to know he'd been in surgery. What for, he wasn't sure yet. He tried to remember what happened prior but it was all a smudge on his memory. It had to be bad because he felt completely out of it which usually meant he was on a lot of pain medication. He blinked a few times to clear them and put all his energy into turning his head from side to side to see the room. It knocked him sick but he wanted to, no needed to, see where he was. He knew he definitely wasn't in a hospital when he came in. Or at least, he wasn't conscious when he came in.

There was no one in the room with him. Maybe he just came out of surgery and they were debriefing in the hallway or maybe they hadn't been told he was in the hospital yet. He was sure he was in a hospital, a nice one. Bludhaven General perhaps or Gotham Medical Centre. The two hospitals looked very similar. Did he come in as Nightwing? No, he would be put in a more private room if that were the case. This room was big too which was unlike the ones reserved for heroes. This room had windows letting him see the nursing station on the other side of the hall. There were empty chairs stationed around him so someone must've been here before but wasn't here now. It made sense because everyone in his life was constantly going up against the next biggest threat. He didn't mind waking up alone.  

Dick looked out the window and noted it was dark. Night time. Yeah, he definitely wasn't surprised that no one was here for him. He must've come in as Dick Grayson but for the life of him, he couldn't remember why. A clue might be in what condition he was left in after his suspected surgery. He forced himself up on trembling arms, noting his shoulders didn't enjoy this move at all. Looking down, there were lumps underneath the thin sheet he'd been given. From when he broke his leg, he knew they were metal frames. On each ankle too? He was in for a hell of a recovery. Six to twelve weeks of recovery and they're both out of order. That will slow him down a lot. He suspected that his shoulders must've been out of place at some point and he let himself flop down on the bed. 

It felt stupid to cry over. He'd come back from worse and he'd come back from this but he despised recovery. Especially since Barbara needed him for things. She was incredibly independent and he won't deny that the little things he helps with are things she could do herself but he didn't want her to. Dick liked taking care of her. Now she would have to look after him and she'd done that enough in her life. Dealing with him like she did. He brought a slightly numbed hand to his eye and bumped into a mask. Oxygen. What the fuck happened to him? Was Barbara okay? Was he in an accident and came off better than the rest or worse?

"It's okay, Mr Grayson, take a deep breath," a doctor told him. She sounded nice, her voice slightly raspy but caring. She had blonde hair and blue eyes like his own. He found himself following her direction without really thinking about it. 

"What happened?" he asked.

"You had a panic attack."

"A panic attack that broke my ankles?" Another doctor, this one with dark wavy hair and red lipstick, laughed although they attempted to conceal it. 

"You were kidnapped and put into a suitcase, Mr Grayson. Your ankles were broken, your toes fractured and your shoulders dislocated. Do you remember that?" the other doctor explained. 

A series of images flashed in front of him and he winced, nodding. They were already trying to fit him in the suitcase when they called Barbara. He'd passed out from the pain before he heard what they were demanding but he remembered thinking this was it. He didn't think they would make good on their promise of his return. Everyone was probably dealing with the kidnappers and would see to him later.

"Now I do," he muttered. "Six to twelve weeks right?"

"Broken ankles before?"

"Something like that," he replied. "When can I be discharged?"

"In a week."

"Thanks Dr?"

"Dr Torres and Dr Grey," she responded. 

"Thanks, Dr Torres and Dr Grey. I'll try not to cause too much trouble but I'm not the best with bed rest," he said. "Is there anyone waiting for me?"

"Your girlfriend is in the canteen. She'll be up shortly. Now, Mr Grayson-"

"Please call me Dick, I'm not old enough for Mr Grayson," he interrupted. Dr Grey smiled and nodded.

"Dick, we noticed on your x-rays you have a lot of previous injuries that haven't been documented on your forms. Were you treated somewhere else for these?"

"Why?"

"Nothing sinister," she was quick to assure him. "We just like to know a patient's full medical history in case we need to change our treatment plan to accommodate these. Do we need to contact another hospital?"

"Gotham General has some stuff but some got lost. You know how Gotham is." They nodded in understanding. He hoped they didn't push it any further. "Is that everything?"

"For now. Is there anything we can get you?"

"Unless it's discharge papers."

Barbara came in soon after, out of breath likely from rushing here as soon as she was aware he was away. In her lap was a rather sad-looking packaged sandwich and an energy drink from the canteen.

"Of course as soon as I leave you wake up," she muttered under her breath as she rolled to be at his bedside. She put her meal on the bedside table and took his hand in hers, rubbing her thumb along his knuckles without disturbing the IV needle. He brought her hand to his lips and kissed her fingers. 

"What can I say? It's my job to annoy you," he joked lightly. "How're you holding up?"

"I should be asking you that."

"I beat you to it," he replied. 

"I'm doing fine. How about you?" Dick thought about lying or making a joke about it but he couldn't find it within himself. Perhaps he was too tired to do either or he didn't want to get into yet another argument about not admitting when he needed help and refused to be vulnerable. 

"I'm sorry," he said. "Now you'll have to get the bus and I know you hate the bus because they only have one spot for wheelchair users and you have to share it with prams. You could get your dad to take you but he's always so busy with work. I won't be out of here for another week and then we'll have to go to physio together once I'm healed and-"

"Woah, woah, woah, what're you talking about right now?"

"I'm gonna be such a pain to deal with."

"Hey, I'm not dealing with you. I'm looking after you. You're my boyfriend, you look after me and I look after you." She tucked some of his hair behind his ear to make him more comfortable. "Even if I didn't feel that way as your girlfriend, I feel that way because you were taken because of me. Before you even start, I know I've been taken because of you and we don't play the blame game but guess what, I'm still gonna feel guilty and I'm still gonna look after you because I love you. Got that?"

"What did they want anyway? I only really caught bits and pieces."

"Wanted the release of some of their gang members," she answered. "They wanted you as leverage, keep me emotional to go running to my dad begging for him to meet the terms."

"Gordon would never," Dick muttered. She immediately shot down the idea. Her dad put on a hard front and gave him a tough time not for disliking him but for wanting the best for her. 

"My dad loves you and he's best friends with your dad. He would if it came down to it." He hummed offhandedly. "Your brothers got you out of there. They saw you in the suitcase." His eyes widened in panic and she mentally kicked herself for mentioning it without him asking in the first place. 

"Which brothers?"

"Jason, Tim and Damian," she answered softly. "Who are fine by the way. They're dealing with the suspects, making sure there aren't any plans for a redo."

"They should've never seen me like that. Especially Damian. He's just a kid."

"I know but they're just as experienced as you are. I thought you'd appreciate me not calling Bruce in."

"I am," he quickly assured her. "I really am. I just didn't want them to see me like that."

"I know. Do you want me to give them a call, let them know you're awake?" He nodded with a tight smile. "They don't have to know right away. If you're not ready for it."

"Give me another hour just with you. Please?"

"Of course."

"I love you."

"I love you too." She pressed a kiss against his forehead and he happily leaned into her and let himself relax. "You better be a star patient for me. You're too old to be doctor dodging."

"I'm not old yet," he huffed.

"No, but you better be old."

"Only if you're there to see it," he promised. "How big was the suitcase? I usually fit in those suckers no problem."

"Tiny. Even Ace would struggle to fit in there."

"Kinda impressive. In a morbid way." She tutted lovingly. "How much do you bet those guys end up with unexplained injuries in custody."

"No point betting on a fact."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro