8. When I met Charlie

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dear Peter,

I never knew that I'd make such an amazing friend through you. I guess the world works in funny ways. 

Within a few days, I was sitting at a booth in Kat's with the imposture dress beside me.

The day after the swap, Zoya and I barged into the wedding boutique, frantically explaining our predicament to the clerk at the desk. To our luck, he was more than willing to help out, and, within a few clicks, pulled up your contact information and set up a "date" for us to switch the wedding dresses.

Zoya wasn't able to make it because she already had too much going on. Besides, I was the one who made this mess. So I had to clean it up.

My heart raced with anxiety and excitement as I peered through the window of the café and at the passengers of various cars, hoping to spot a familiar face. It was funny. It seemed like you wanted nothing to do with me, yet that enticed me even more. 

You know I always enjoyed a good puzzle.

I had been waiting for nearly half and hour now, and, honestly, I was getting a bit worried. What if you didn't show up with the dress? Or worse, what if something happened to it?

Just the thought of something going wrong made my stomach churn. In the midst of me staring intently at the table with different scenarios and "what ifs?" racing through my mind, I heard someone clear his throat right above my shoulder.

Upon craning my neck to identify the sound, my heart fluttered the tiniest bit.

It was you. 

But it wasn't the you that I remembered seeing. Before, your hair and your skin were dripping with sweat and you looked the slightest bit intimidating. But now, your hair was tossed neatly to one side and you stood clad in a light v-neck and a pair of jeans.

There was one thing, however, that had certainly remained the same: the scowl molded into your lips.

It took me a few seconds to realize that you weren't alone. Right next to you stood another man, a bright smile radiating from his face, greatly contradicting your expression. He had a childish grin gracing his lips and shiny brown curls falling over his forehead.

Before I could speak, or even think about speaking, your companion offered me his hand.

I returned his smile and placed my hand in his. It was something about his friendly demeanor that was so inviting.

Instead of shaking my hand like I had expected, he brought my hand to his lips and planted a light kiss right above my fingers.

I blushed a deep red, the tips of my ears set ablaze.

Judging from the way your scowl deepened and you elbowed your friend in the ribs, you greatly disapproved.

"I'm Charlie," he spoke after effortlessly recovering from the blow to his ribs, "and you must be Lucy!"

I grinned.

"Nice to meet you Charlie."

I shifted my gaze to meet yours.

"Hi again, Peter."

Your eyes were constantly on me, and even though I liked to think that I was always good at reading people, there was something about you that was so guarded that it made it difficult to assume anything.

"You see," Charlie continued, slipping slyly into the seat across from me, "My friend Pete here seemed to have completely forgotten to mention the fact that you are quite beautiful."

You, being the man of little words you always were and still are, snorted and pushed Charlie aside, sitting down in the chair beside him.

I tried not to smile. It was hard. Charlie was charismatic. He was bright and it was always hard not to be happy around him.

"Where's the dress?" You asked, your tone clearly implying that you were here to simply exchange the dresses. Nothing less, nothing more.

"Peter," Charlie shot you a look of disappointment, "let's at least buy the lady lunch first."

Throughout the entire cab ride to this place, I had been wondering how to ensure that I'd get to see you again after exchanging the dresses. The universe had blessed me with one coincidence, but I don't think it was likely that I'd get another. And now, after having met Charlie, I knew that it might not be as difficult as I'd thought.

You glared at your friend, and upon seeing his eager expression, your face softened. Just a little. 

"I have half an hour."

(a/n)

It's been years since I updated. Literally. But I've been inspired to start writing again and fully intend to finish this story. 

Super short chapter because there was sadly a 3 year hiatus, so I need some time to get my thoughts together LOL

Thanks for reading, as always!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro