8 - Kittitas Valley Wind Farm, Kittitas County

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The Cascades are a divider in more ways than one. It's physical, yes - it's hard to argue that a mountain range in the middle of the state doesn't split it in two, with all the geographical and environmental consequences of such a massive structure. The western side is famed for its grey rainfall skies, and firs and cedars and maples cover much of the landscape that isn't painted with water. The mountains catch the incoming rain winds, "trapping" them on the coastal half and leading to this rainy green world. This process is also what leads to the dryness of the eastern half of the state, and from that comes a completely different physical environment populated more by shrubs and grasses than trees and ferns. Strong winds sail over hills and plains that stretch as far as the eye can see, almost deafening in some places. It's almost like a completely different world here.

The priorities and beliefs of the people differ across the Cascades, too. It's evident from the flags and signs we pass as we travel to our destination - only a few minutes from the wind farm, our attention's drawn briefly out the window to a Confederate flag flying next to a lone wooden building. Given the identities and appearances of us travelers, there's some cause for concern there, and discussion quickly ensues on whether it'll be safe for us to stay for long. We decide we'll cut our stay here short, and remain just long enough to take some notes and pictures.

The main sight here is the towering white windmills dotting the landscape. The wind nearly knocks me off my feet as I step out onto the dry dirt road, and I need to keep my arms spread to maintain any semblance of balance. Everything here dwarfs me in sheer vastness - the sky, the plains, the wind turbines. Even the grasses are taller than I'm used to, and it's almost like I'm a mouse in a great field, waiting for an eagle to glide overhead and dive for me. There's no eagles in sight, though - for now, anyway - so at the moment, we're free to just take in the land.

The sheer volume of the wind is startling, too - I've never heard it so loud, even when it's catching in leaves all around my head. Flat lands are conducive to high speeds, I've heard, but this is the first such instance I've ever seen in person. It's a physical experience unparalleled by anything I've felt before.

Shame we couldn't risk staying longer.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro