📸~14

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*Kwame Asante*

After double-checking my camera, I popped one of Trevor's mint candies into my mouth.

"Guys, c'mon!" Arturo called out. "I managed to get us some front seats."

"K, we're right behind you." Trevor was the first to stand up, and I followed.

The fashion show was originally scheduled to begin at four o'clock. But it was a whole thirty minutes past four, and not a single model had made an appearance on the runway.

"What's the hold-up?" I asked Arturo as we settled down.

"I heard one of the models called in sick, so they had to scramble for a replacement."

"And it took them a whole thirty minutes?" I quizzed in disbelief. "Don't they have people on standby for this?"

"Maybe they didn't. Welcome to the world of fashion," Trevor remarked then took a swig out of his water bottle.

We were seated on the left side of the runway when the backdrop lights came on making the words 'Afrochella Fashion Show' visible at the top of the luminescent curtains. They soon drifted apart to allow a gentleman, sporting a colourful ensemble, to make an appearance on stage.

With an enthusiastic smile, he bellowed into the microphone. "Hello everyone! And welcome to the maiden edition of the Afrochella Fashion Shooow!"

A cloud of cheers and applause erupted from the audience as a response.

"I'm Christopher Nkyi, a supermodel and fashion enthusiast, and I'm honored to be your host, taking you through all of tonight's activities. I couldn't be more thrilled to be standing here before this incredible crowd. Thank you all for joining us tonight!" 

Another round of applause ensued.

"I've had the pleasure of working in the fashion industry for over a decade, watching the beauty and artistry that designers bring to life. Fashion has always been my passion, and tonight I am honoured to accompany you through this captivating African-themed presentation. We are here to pay tribute to the continent that has inspired the globe with its stunning scenery, rich customs, and great artistic manifestations. From the vivid colours of the Maasai tribe to the elaborate beadwork of the Ashanti people, we will see a blend of heritage and modern trends, effortlessly woven into every piece of clothing that appears on this runway. But before that, allow me to sincerely apologise for the earlier delay. We had a few hitches backstage, but now we are back on track and ready to give you the best show ever! A quick shout out to our sponsors for making this night possible and..."

A figure lurking at the back of the visitors seated on the other side of the runway drew my attention. It wasn't until she sat down that I noticed it was Dayton. Her camera hang from a lanyard round her neck as she set it up. Delores was nowhere in sight, and I found that strange because they were usually always together.

"Tonight is all about representing African culture through fashion," Christopher continued. "And we are fortunate to have some of the most outstanding designers fresh out of fashion school, whose creations embody the essence and soul of the continent. Each designer has poured their heart and soul into their collections, embracing African aesthetics, and reinterpreting them for the modern world. As we embark on this journey, let me remind you of the power and beauty of African fashion. It's not just about the clothes; it's a celebration of identity, culture, and the resilience of a people. So, let us honour and respect the artistry that will grace this stage tonight. Get ready to witness the fusion of tradition and innovation, as we present to you the first designer. I have personally seen several of her works and let me assure you that her creations will definitely transport us to the heart of Africa. Please put your hands together for Mel Z and her Breathe African collection!"

The moment Christopher stepped aside, a traditional African drumbeat filled the air as the first model stepped onto the runway. Her outfit, a sleeveless pastel fabric jumpsuit, had a long, flowy cape attached to the back. Every move the model made allowed the cape to dance to the tunes of the evening breeze.

I wasn't much of a fashion enthusiast, but the way the model moved in the outfit made for really good photography content. In the next minute, our cameras were up in the air, snapping away like there was no tomorrow.

The model took her final pose, and as she prepared to leave the stage, the next one followed. A male model exuded confidence in a three-piece attire that showed an ample amount of his taut muscles. I personally wouldn't mind owning an outfit like this, and as I hit the shutter button on my camera, I made a mental note to get in touch with the designer after the show. 

The event progressed steadily, revealing a tapestry of designs that showcased the diversity of African fashion. Trevor sat beside me, documenting every attire he could describe on his notepad  Arturo was fully engaged in the event too, but his interest was more in the models than the clothes. Anytime he passed a comment on how he'd love to get their number, I shook my head and chuckled. 

The second batch of models strutted past, and I stood up, trying to get some photos from a different angle. I moved away from the guys to the tail end of the runway and crouched down. I spotted Dayton on the other end of the stage, taking several shots in quick succession. My gaze flew around her, paying careful attention to the other photographers beside her. Delores was still nowhere in sight and I wondered if I should be worried. I hadn't seen her since our encounter this afternoon. Plus, knowing Delores, she wouldn't want to miss the fashion show for anything in the world.  So where was she?

Christopher reappeared on stage to introduce the third designer and her fashion collection. As he blabbered on, I dug a hand into my pocket, pulled out my phone, and searched for Delores' phone number. Bringing the device to my ear, I waited patiently for her to pick up, but it went straight to voicemail. I tried a second time before giving up. Maybe I'll ask Dayton where she is after photographing this set.

Shifting my attention back to the show, I lifted my camera to take a quick photo of the first model for the Afro-futuristic Wave collection. Most of the outfits featured metallic grey elements that gleamed in the stage light, and I had to admit, the designer really put a lot of effort into this collection.

All the attires were sleek, modern, and matched the futuristic theme perfectly. One outfit that caught my attention was a stylish intricately woven beaded collar that covered the neck and shoulders of the male model. He wore a black tank top underneath, matching  with a pair of ash and black tiger print pants. With a simple line painting on his face, the model exuded the essence of a tough African warrior; a tall pillar of strength that could never be knocked down. I found myself relating to that feeling.

Zooming in, I grabbed a few more shots before turning to the next model.

And my mouth fell open.

Walking down the runway was Delores, transformed into some fictional African futuristic queen. Her headpiece, a unique combination of silver, beads and pearls, sat in her braids, complementing her outfit wholly. The stylish gown featured a V-neckline that added a touch of sensuality while maintaining an air of refinement. It hugged her waist before cascading into a full skirt that gracefully brushed the stage as she moved with precision and poise. Honestly, it was like she was born to do this.

To say I was surprised was an understatement. I just stood there, speechlessly watching her for God knows how long. It was when she made it to the tail end of the runway that I remembered that I had to photograph her. I just had to photograph her in this glorious light. 

Raising my camera, I focused the lens on her figure, taking one full-length photo, then zoomed in, made sure I had a clear view of her fierce gaze, before hitting the shutter button. A minute after I had taken the photos, our eyes met, and the smile that followed melted my heart. I lifted my camera, and with one quick click, captured that fleeting expression in my device. Giving us her final pose, Delores carefully waltzed off the stage, a thundering round of applause echoing behind her. 

I looked at my camera, eyeing that last picture. 

Beauty. That's what Delores was; pure beauty. 

Throughout the event, I experimented with various angles, compositions, and close-ups to capture the essence of the fashion pieces. And frankly, none of them touched me like the way the Afrofuturistic Wave collection did. Maybe it had something to do with Delores being a part of it, but generally, I felt that collection really highlighted the fusion of African tradition and modernity. 

And as the fashion show came to a close, a sense of fulfillment washed over me, knowing that my photographs not only captured the beauty and essence of African fashion, but it also captured a unique and different side of Delores. And for me, it was a side I'd never forget.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro