5 - Nico

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

After some time, they two had collected their faults and gathered on the sofa, eating bowls of chicken noodle soup. Percy woofed it down, after not having actual food since his death. Nico didn't think his body knew that it basically picked up where it left off and didn't need it, but he understood how captivating the taste and act of munching down on delicious food made by someone as talented as himself could be.

He smirked, but let it fade away quickly. When did he become so self-humorous?

When Percy died and there was no one left to joke with, he reminded himself. This sad truth still plagued him, but...

He had to admit, seeing Percy make a mess of his face over nothing but a can of soup did make it all worth it.

"Hey, slow down. You'll throw up," he said, but Percy didn't heed his advice, and probably didn't need to.

Once Percy had finished the entire bowl, he looked back towards the kitchen and went for seconds. This time when he sat down, Nico's face was a combination of happy eyes and a frown.

Percy had slowed his eating this time, and Nico took it as an opportunity. "We can't go back just yet. I don't know how to explain this to anyone. Especially Chiron."

Percy nodded, swallowing a bite. "Well... do you have to? What's done is done, right? It's not like I'll die again."

Nico could tell that the sarcasm was intended as a joke, but he didn't find it funny. "You left us," he said. "You don't get to talk about doing it, ever. Because you did."

The atmosphere around them had definitely shifted. The shadows of the room curved around Nico. Percy set down his soup, unappetized without realizing it for the moment.

"I know," he said. "But it's true, isn't it?"

Nico pondered but shook his head quickly, "Hades doesn't care. He'll strike you down the moment he gets the chance."

"Then where is he?" Percy argued, but Nico locked his jaw and sighed.

When Nico didn't respond to Percy's (very valid) question, Percy asked something else. "Why me?"

Nico furrowed his eyebrows. He set his soup down, half finished and turning cold in his dish. He looked at Percy with eyes of betrayal, "Excuse me?"

"Why me?" Percy repeated, which Nico could not fathom.

What does he mean, why him? Because you're you, Percy! he wanted to say, but it didn't come out.

He watched as Percy sat back calmly and looked around the house, as if just existing was incredible to him. Maybe it was, after ceasing to, physically at least.

At least he didn't look like he was drowning anymore, like he did in those tunnels, but Nico couldn't tell if he was glad to be back or not. The thought scared him even more now, and he started withdrawing, confusion being replaced with frustration.

"Percy?" Nico asked, needing him to say something. Anything. Anything that the old Percy would say, but instead he just made a statement.

"You never visited anyone," was his words, not a question or an observation. Just a fact that he said plainly, as if it was just what it was.

And it was, just what it was. "I know," Nico responded, "Why would I? The living shouldn't fare with the dead."

"But I'm alive again," he said.

Nico nodded, rolling his eyes as his heart started beating, "Obviously."

Suddenly, Percy's eyes darted to Nico, and with a look that shocked Nico utterly, a look he couldn't describe, Percy asked his question again.

"Why me?"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro