44. New Beginnings

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The desert was hot, the sands atop the hills spilled over in the warm breeze. A small figure wandered across the sand dunes, her red eyes piercing through the scenery around her. She wore a tattered rag over the lower half of her face and a long hood over her head to shield her from the sun's rays overhead.

The town she'd just reached was a glorious rest stop for those wandering through the perilous desert, offering a well needed drink to those who thirsted and aid to those who were injured. It also housed an infamous black market that thrived with thieves and bandits from all over the world, trading foreign goods.

She rummaged through the market stall vendors for a while before heading down an empty alleyway in search for lodging for the night. Catching her attention was the ringing of blades through the crisp desert air as they left their holsters. She turned to find two large men with their weapons at the ready.

"Alright, hand over whatever you've got on ya and we might spare ya," the first goon chuckled, pointing his blade towards the girl.

She remained where she was, unfazed by the intimidating men that were slowly stalking towards her. Her eyes narrowed as the second man lurched forwards, grasping her by the mouth and pulling her face close to his. "Didn't ya hear him?" he snarled. "Empty your sack," he ordered, ripping the cloth away from her face. She stumbled backwards, glaring up at the man who'd revealed her face.

"Oh, she's a looker," the first man laughed. "Maybe we'll just take her instead. I'll bet she'd fetch a fair price as a slave," he rattled.

The girl grimaced at his comment, unsheathing a small, golden sword from a hidden sack underneath her garments. An eight pointed star gleamed on the blade of the sword as she decided who she would attack first.

Before she could make her move, however, a shadow arose over her and a flurry of icicles rained all around the bandits who'd threatened her, piercing the back wall and completely destroying the cargo boxes that lines the alley.

The bandits trembled in terror, emptying out their own sacks and dropping their weapons in the dirt.

"W-We're sorry! Take whatever you want!" they both exclaimed before stumbling hastily away in absolute horror.

The girl glanced back at the figure hovering over her as he lowered himself down, landing lightly beside her. She wandered over to the items the thugs had dropped, inspecting them thoroughly before dropping them in the dirt again.

"Useless," she muttered, staring into the sky as the sun sank below the horizon.

"How annoying," her partner exhaled, pulling the mask that covered the lower half of his face down. "Stupid thugs are everywhere around here. Let's just go to the next place," he said, his long braid swishing as he spoke.

"The townspeople say the next town is just past the mountain range there," she said softly, nodding in the direction of the mountains in the distance.

"Well, I'm following your lead here, Princess," Judar said, his eyes twinkling mischievously as they landed on Mei's soft features. "Actually this is that one idiot's turf," he said, glancing towards the mountain range. "I'll bet we can piss him off by capturing one of his dungeons," he grinned, picturing Yunan's calm expression bubbling over with frustration.

Mei smirked at his words, following his line of sight into the mountains. "Another metal vessel then?" she smiled to herself. "So be it," she said, pulling her mask over her face again, setting off into the dunes with her Magi in tow.

~~FIN~~

I'm actually really sad that this story is over. Idk what I'm gonna do now.

I guess... Just remember that my one shots are open!
Thanks so much for everyone who stuck through all 40+ chapters and I hope it was a good read! :D

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro