38 Power

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

You are at once both the quiet and the confusion of my heart.

Franz Kafka

Sulaiman

The winds of the dawn blow steady and cold. The sky is a darker shade of blue and gray, and the clouds up above are lined by the sun rays. She's up so early when the palace is quiet, and he from his balcony observes her keenly. In her dress the color of the garden, her figure blends away into the green of it.

There is a lightning far in the distance, the rain on its way to them, and thunder rumbles low in the air. The handmaiden with her helps her wear a cloak, a color much deeper and different that makes her stand out in the surrounding now, no more fading into it. She continues her stroll.

There is opening and closing of his chamber doors. A few servants set the table for breakfast. He remains on his spot. His guard comes to him to take any orders.

"What is the status of the prince?" he asks him.

"He's stable, my Ameer."

"Awake?"

"Not yet, sayidi. He's under the effects of the concoctions. But the physician says he'll recover soon."

"And Eskander?"

"The same, sayidi."

Sulaiman hums, dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand. He tips his head and leaves.

She's joined by a company now. He can see the conversation taking place between them. The expanse of his gardens are far stretched before him, his eyes might tire roaming them, but his eyes don't move from her. And they don't tire studying her.

"You came into my life and wrecked chaos in it. Beautifully first. Then devastatingly later." He places his hands on the handrails and leans forward. "Why did this heart ever incline towards you?"

There is opening of his chamber doors as someone comes in again. He turns away from the handrail towards the balcony entrance. Jumana smiles at him.

"Sabah al khaiyr, Sulaiman."

He makes his way towards her and returns her greetings, "Sabah al nour, Jumana."

He places a hand on her back, guiding her towards the breakfast table. They sit down on the cushions to eat.

"You haven't been joining me for the meals lately. I kept waiting for you last night," she comments.

"You know how things are these days. I prefer to be alone."

"I hope you did not mind me coming here?"

He only shakes his head and begins to fill their plates. She helps him with it.

"The first council meeting is today," she says. "I know recently you've been dealing with a lot, so I wanted to come offer my support. You know I'm always with you, through thick and thin, no matter the outcome of these meetings and the final decision of the council."

"I know."

He places her plate before her and she takes his hand in hers. He looks at her.

"You're everything I've left in this world, Sulaiman. My friend, my companion, and everything beyond. I'll do anything for you if you need me to, so long as you're happy and well."

He smiles, letting her hold his hand as he speaks, "I know, Jumana. And I know you'll do it no matter how many times I tell you not to. But still, I'll repeat myself to you: think for yourself, not me. For I know you're not happy with me, but I cannot do anything about it. I can give you the world and its riches, but I cannot give you the one thing you ask of me-- not my heart. For it is beyond me to rule it as per my will. Instead, it rules me. And my tilte itself or the status of you and I hold little meaning in this regard. I cannot give you more than a namely relationship, while you could have an actual life with someone else. But you chose me. And I don't know if to be grateful or guilty about it."

"I know you're only honoring my father and trying to pay what you consider a debt of him saving your life." She lowers her gaze to their hands. "If you hadn't suffered injuries in that war, if we hadn't stumbled upon you, you and I would never have met. And even though we didn't know who you were, it changed little in my heart for you when I learnt the truth. And it will change little what befalls us next, whether you remain the caliph or not. But tell me, had she not been in the picture, would things be any different between us?"

Their eyes connect against, her orbs painted by the morning light with a jaded hue. Her thumbs caresses over his knuckles as she keeps clutching his hand in both of hers, awaiting his response.

"No," he answers honestly. "But I care for you, Jumana, I do so greatly. You mean a lot to me."

"But not enough to accept me as your wife," she points out. "Did you really marry me merely out of pity?"

"No--"

"You're still not over her," she bites out the words bitterly. "Despite knowing she's married to your cousin. Despite her being with his child. You're still chasing her."

"I'm not," he corrects firmly, sternly, leaving no room for her to drag it. "I value her as the sister of my general and the daughter of my father's vizier. Yes, I did want to marry her, but the choice was hers to make. For if it was mine then I do not let go of what I intend to have. So rest your heart, because my heart has rested her case."

He gently frees his hand from hers and gestures towards her plate.

"Let us eat before it turns cold."

But she doesn't budge.

"What does it change for us, Sulaiman?"

He replies without looking at her, "Nothing, Jumana."

"So I'm chasing you in futile hopes."

It's a statement, not a question, and he chooses to remain silent. There's a chasm between them she cannot cross, but only if she acknowledges it instead of trying to blindly leap over it. He hasn't ever been romantically drawn towards her. Maybe he can never be. Only if she can accept the truth as he has-- some things do not belong to us no matter how desperately we desire them. Such things are only chased without the promise of a reward. Such things are better given up. He's one such thing to her, as Noura to him.

"Do you wish to return home?" he asks her.

"Will you send me away?"

"Not if you wish to stay."

She tilts her head. "Do you want me to stay?"

"The choice is yours to make."

Her lips stretch into a sardonic smile. "So if I leave, you'll never ask me to stay?"

He holds onto his silence again. And silently as well, she stands up and leaves his chamber. Sulaiman doesn't stop her.

That afternoon Fereydun and his other vizier accompany him to the courtroom for the council meeting. He had hoped when this day comes, Eskander will be by his side. But maybe fate has other plans. And whatever plans they may be, he has his own. This time he intends to analyze and act than fight. After all, when his people do not want him as their caliph, who does he fight for? If his Lord wishes to take away His kingdom from him, how does he fight Him?

He arrives at the courtroom and everyone stands for him in greeting and respect. Sulaiman takes his seat, his viziers sitting close to him, and his eyes scan over everyone present-- council members, all the officials, and his brother. Yusuf tips his head in acknowledgment, and he returns his gesture.

Then the doors to the courtroom open again. His gaze lifts to meet a pair of defiant and vehement eyes-- eyes that though have remained the color he remembers from his childhood, but not the look in them. Noura holds her head high as she walks inside.

"I give my apologies to all. Unfortunately my husband cannot join the meeting, so I'll be representing him today."

She comes to take a seat besides Daryush, and Adam's vizier, Zahir sits at her other side. Sulaiman looks away from her and gestures for the meeting to begin.

There is a discussion on the state affairs, the opinion of the public, the pros and cons of each step that might be taken, and opinions among the members are exchanged. He regards each word, assesses the condition, and tries to come to the conclusion where it might lead. Then Noura fluently slips into the conversation.

"Honorable members," she addresses them, "while the matters we discuss here are important and I respect each of your opinions, I know neither of you would wish for a harm to befall this kingdom and strive for the betterment of the people, but there is another important matter I would like to bring to your attention."

"What is it, Noura?" Yusuf is the first to ask.

"We know of the attempt made at the life of Ameer Adam, it isn't the first time, and we're well aware it could be anyone in his place tomorrow, God forbid. The royal family has many enemies, both known and hidden, and only three surviving hiers. If under the given circumstances a prince fights to spill the blood of another prince, it'll only leave the throne at risk of being captured by an outsider. If any of the princes even manages to ascend the throne at the expense of the other's life, none of them have a hier so far to qualify for the throne in case of any sudden death of the ruling caliph. Then again, even if one of them produces a hier, for the child to reach maturity to be able to claim the caliphate requires a long time and poses many risks."

She pauses, letting everyone to absorb in her words, and Sulaiman arches an eyebrow in intrigue, gathering where she's headed. Yet he inquires her.

"What are you suggesting, Amira?"

She looks at him, their gazes crashing. "I suggest the kingdom may not be left at the mercy of our enemies. The situation demands for the truce to be extended, so it may be extended. I believe the esteemed members of the advisory council will be able to find solutions for the conflicts among ourselves. But I find it better to resolve the matters with negotiation than a war."

A hush falls over the courtroom. Noura looks away from him to Yusuf before her eyes scan every face across the room, gauging their reactions, as if trying to read their mind. Daryush is the first to slice through the thick silence.

"My Amira, what a wise thought that is." He smiles, turning to the council members. "I hope my wise fellows can understand your reasoning as well. Your worry is legit, and I totally agree with you. The royal family does not have a long list of heirs. Heaven forbid if none of them remains, none of us might be able to handle the mayhem in the kingdom."

"Syed Daryush," Sulaiman's vizier speaks up from beside him, and he tilts his head towards him. "None of us wants bloodshed. But say the truce remains, between Ameer Sulaiman and Ameer Adam, Ameer Sulaiman is more entitled to the throne. He's the heir of late Khalid ibn Al Malik after Ameer Yusuf. But we know Ameer Yusuf abdicated the throne and no more wishes to rule. Then who deserves the caliphate? Certainly the next-in-line heir of Khalifa Khalid, Khalifa Sulaiman. Yet we also know Ameer Adam fought him for power before, and still wishes to do so, despite the fact it was his mother who was of royal blood, not his father."

"Sayidi," Noura directs to his vizier, "certainly not all of what you speak is truth. The distribution of power shall be just, that is all he desires. If Ameer Adam earns himself the caliphate, what significance does the lineage of his father holds to you? Perhaps it is the loss of power one fears for themselves, but one shall not think selfishly."

"His father was a man of ill-repute," the vizier argues. "We know the damage of his actions to this kingdom from the war he lead against Yusuf bin Khalid."

"Yet many of the people very clearly still favor him," Zahir interjects. "If the public he rules has no problem, I don't know of the problem you see. The argument you present is a tale of the past."

"But--"

Yusuf lifts his fist, cutting off the vizier. "I will not hear a word more about my uncle. I've forgiven him, and I hope so shall you all. May his soul rest in peace. As for Adam, he is a brother no less to me than Sulaiman."

"Akhi," Sulaiman stares into his eyes, "this doesn't change the fact that he isn't a direct heir to the throne."

Yusuf has long stopped being close to him, their relationship more formal than brotherly. What love they once had has crumbled, and none of them put much effort into rebuilding it. It isn't that he has been fine with it, but that he has stopped expecting much from him. His brother doesn't want to harm him, but neither does he benefit him. He doesn't oppose him, but neither supports him. He wonders if his brother's presence or absence in his life would make any difference. He's his only family left after all.

"My Ameer," Daryush interrupts politely, and he turns his attention to him. "An indirect heir to the throne is still better than an outsider, as the Amira has pointed out. Say neither of the princes live to rule nor produce a heir, and somehow the throne is saved from falling into the hands of the enemy, then who shall be the next caliph if no one from the royal family?" he poses meaningfully, gaze sweeping across the room idly before coming to find him again. "It will be the next most powerful and authoritative man in the kingdom, which we know is your general, sayidi, that is if he recovers from his state. Though he will not be accepted by many, unless by force, which he has plenty to use. But not only Eskander Teymour isn't royal blood, he's a man from Isfahan with no roots to the ancestors of this mighty empire. Then this can create a lot of chaos in the kingdom."

"Eskander never had his eyes on the throne even once," Fereydun defends. "He's a loyal and honorable servant of the caliph and this kingdom."

"I didn't mean to imply that he might deceive. But that if an opportunity arises, it'll be him to whom the power will be shifted," Daryush explains. "Even if he denies it, it'll shift to the next man in line, or next to him, and so on. You understand how much turbulence it can create in the court and the kingdom, don't you?"

"What is the guarantee that Ameer Adam will resort to peace?" an elderly member asks. "What if he comes into power and tries to secure the throne for himself by killing the heirs of Khalifa Khalid? What if he produces a heir, and the other princes produce heirs, then as the Khalifa he certainly will declare his own son to be the heir to the throne after him."

"My husband had opportunities to achieve what you've stated, sayidi, but he did not," Noura argues. "You cannot guarantee anything on behalf of anyone. For after all, isn't it he barely surviving being poisoned? It is him who has to tackle death again and again. If he fights to live, it is because he has a right to live. I can say the same for anyone else: what if he who comes into power tries to kill him? What if one comes into power and the other rebels? When the armies are brought against each other, the distinction between right and wrong vanishes and each fights to win. That's why I insist, let their be a truce and let the princes lay their conditions. I'm sure keeping in view all the opinions and affairs, the council will come up with a fair decision."

The discussion goes on for a while more before he dismisses everyone and allow them time to process everything. In the next meeting, he'll know individual opinions on the matters and hopefully find solutions to the problems on common grounds.

He leaves the courtroom with Fereydun, having much more to think through and sort out. Realizing where the scales might tilt with each decision, he has to consider each possibility.

"The Amira highlighted a reasonable issue and gave a logical solution to it," Fereydun says. "We're in a tight situation. Without Eskander, we've lost a great deal of our strength that no other general can compensate. If we give our conditions where if Ameer Adam reclaims the throne, you still acquire part of your power over whatever regions you desire, it can save us a lot of the trouble."

"Do you see me as a coward, Fereydun?"

"Never, my Ameer. But your life is more important than anything else. If a war happens this time, the ultimate result might be the death of either of you, God forbid. And the impact of either indeed will be severe. I only suggest if we can preserve our power, than why not do it peacefully than violently? When in violence, there is a chance we might lose everything."

He doesn't get to reply as someone calls him. "Ameer Sulaiman?"

Fereydun and him both turn around. Noura walks towards them, tipping her head at him and Fereydun. They return her gesture before Fereydun excuses himself, leaving them alone.

"There's something important I've to bring into your knowledge, sayidi," Noura tells him.

Sulaiman watches curiously as she produces a ring, holding it out to him. He recognizes it at once and reaches forward to take it from her.

"Maysoon's ring?"

"It is," she confirms.

"How did you get it?"

"The night your sister died and Eskander got stabbed, he went to confront the Amira because the man who shot me claimed that the woman who gave him the order was wearing this ring."

He frowns in displeasure. "You mean to say she was behind the attack?"

"She wasn't. But she was framed."

"Who dared so?!" he grit, suddenly a flame burning hot in his chest, much like the cold wrath in Noura's eyes.

"The same person who poisoned Adam, though the poison was meant for me. Someone who wants to rid of me. Someone close to you."

"Name them, Noura," he demands, his composure cracking.

"Your wife," she reveals in calm rage. "Jumana bint Zaidan."

He can only stare at her in shock, sheer disbelief making his senses go numb, and she takes a step closer to him.

"If anything had happened to my husband, I would've slit open her throat myself. But praise be to my Lord, He saved his life." She takes a shuddering breath, as if to rein in her emotions. "Now I pray for Eskander's life. Or I'll be dragging your queen through the corridors of this palace and throw her out to the dogs. I thought as her husband, you should know."

With this, she turns around and walks away, leaving him standing stunned in the corridor.

I keep fading in and out of Wattpad. Excuse me.

Two more chapters to go. Tell me your expectations.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro