Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Akik wasn't very sensitive to dead things or blood - the subjects never really bothered him. But there was... so much of it. It was less the sight of Dusk's body strung by his neck that sickened him than the fact that it meant someone here in this school would commit such a horrid act.

This wasn't murder.

This was massacre.

Akik barely heard Monokumadi announce that Dusk's body had been found. He must've been standing there staring in shock and horror at the sight for a while, because at some point Spade came and found him. His red eyes glanced up at the lifeless corpse and, seeming more sad than horrified, helped Akik get back to his senses.

Monokumadi was overjoyed at the news of the murder, as her tone over the intercom revealed. "...and y'all know the drill by now, figure out the killer in an hour or I'll kill you~! Good luck~!"

"I... I need to sit down," Akik's voice trembled as he sat down against the wall.

He hated this.

He wanted to leave, wanted to break out and punch that goddamn wolf in the face. Who cares if he gets blown up? At least he'll be out of here.

But no. He couldn't die now. He promised Spade they'd leave somehow, and he was going to fulfill that.

Eventually Akik shakily found the strength to stand. How long had it been? He didn't care. He wanted to solve this murder.

Addie was there, as was Gradient, Tonix, and Anatox. Gradient seemed suspiciously intrigued by the blood pentagram on the floor. Anatox looked uneasy, Tonix nauseous as he started at Dusk. Addie showed no emotion, but Akik could see that her hands trembled and she refused to look at where Dusk hung.

Akik noticed that Anatox seemed to be shivering, that uneasy look in her eyes adding to a flickering paranoia in them. Tonix kept glancing at her with worry, but still remaining ever silent. Akik, concerned, walked over to her.

"You okay?" Akik asked.

Anatox blinked, processing that for a moment. "Oh. Uh, yeah. Just... cold."

Odd, it was a good seventy degrees in the library and she was wearing a hoodie. "You sure that's it?"

"Yes."

There was a cold snap to her voice that told Akik to back off. She looked exhausted - she just didn't sleep well, Akik decided.

Spade popped around a bookshelf, having been looking around while Akik processed the moment.

"Hey. Come look at this."

Akik made his way over to Spade. Spade was holding something in his hand - a knife, bloody and red on its silver blade.

"This was in a book," Spade said. "Like a bookmark, almost."

"Guess you found the murder weapon," Akik said. It looked like a kitchen knife - that was probably where it was from.

"Exactly. But that's not all. Follow me."

Akik went with Spade through the bookshelves until they reached a desk, where a book - the book Spade had found the knife in - was lying open. The pages were bloodstained slightly where the blade had been set between the pages.

"It's a book with a compilation of biographies about serial killers," Spade explained. "Or at least what we know about ones still on the loose."

He set the knife next to the book on the table. Akik looked at the page. Pages sixty-six and sixty-seven, which displayed a paragraph or two, as well as a few pictures.

"They call this particular killer the Smiling Devil," Spade said. "Because those who claim to have seen him and lived say he looked at them with a crazed, unfaltering grin. Whether those stories are true, I have no idea. They haven't caught the guy, so no one knows who he is. But that's not what I'm interested in."

He pointed to one of the pictures. It was a clear image of a stranger, hanging from the ceiling, disemboweled and dangling over a pentagram made of their own blood.

"I couldn't help but notice that the manner of this violent death matches near identically to the ways of the Smiling Devil."

Akik stared at the page a moment, skimming over the words in the book. No one knew much of anything about him, besides the smiling part that no one knew for certain was true. He was a satanist, and liked to sacrifice his victims to the devil or whatever demonic being he worshipped, hence the gorey nature of his murders.

"I think you know what I'm thinking when I say I might know who killed Dusk now," Akik said.

Spade nodded. "I do. And I agree that Gradient seems to be the top suspect as of now. But this seems... a bit too obvious, don't you think? The knife was intentionally left in this book, on this page, where there's information about this specific satanic serial killer that may be among us. Why would he leave clues leading us to assume it to be him?"

Akik shrugged. "Serial killers are like that sometimes. They like to taunt the law and see how far they can go. Maybe that's what he's doing."

"I doubt a serial killer as masked as the Smiling Devil would be this careless in teasing us about his identity. But it could be possible," Spade said. "For now, we must keep searching for clues. Look at the handbook; the file on Dusk's death should be there."

Akik had forgotten about that. He opened up his digital handbook and found Dusk's file.

Name: Dusk Xanar, Ultimate Lucky Student
Time of death: Approx. 10:46 P.M.
Injuries (Fatal): Lacerations on neck where hung from the ceiling as if killed by suicide, violent gutting apparent. Multiple vital organs are destroyed, cut out, or missing.
Injuries (Minor): multiple deep cuts along arms and wrists, broken right wrist from apparent struggle.

"Just... a lot of injuries," Akik exhaled, looking down the long list. "Happened pretty late last night, too. Explains why no one knew he was dead until I went to the library."

"Hm..." Spade thought for a moment. "Curious. Come along, let's find more clues."

The two of them agreed to search the locker room first. Since the locker rooms were limited by gender, it would be a good indicator to narrow down the suspects.

There was no one in the room upon entering, which, Akik thought, helped them focus a bit on working out the murder. Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary. Except...

"This is weird." Akik was looking at some of the workout equipment in the room, specifically in a place where there was a cable absent. "This isn't attached right."

"Huh?" Spade looked back at Akik from where he was standing by some lockers. He walked over and observed the equipment - all too similar to the one currently wrapped around Dusk's neck. The cable was supposed to hang in a sort of pulley system wheel at the top, however it was completely missing, rendering the equipment somewhat useless.

"This is most definitely what the murderer used to string up Dusk's body," Akik said. "There wasn't really anything to replace it, so he must've just left it like this."

"Hm. That limits the suspects to those with access to the boy's locker room," Spade said, thinking aloud. "So you, me, Tonix, Fabian, Gradient and Xerc."

He went silent for a moment. "That still makes Gradient our most likely suspect. But I can't help but still doubt that. It's too... obvious, too carelessly hinted."

Akik shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe he wants to die."

"That'd be unlike a serial killer, don't you think?"

"Fair. But I don't have any other ideas."

"Xercantoli certainly is silent," Spade thought out loud again. "And I've seen a few of his drawings by chance. The subjects are... questionable. Anatox is correct when she says Tonix isn't likely to murder, and Fabian is a bit small to take on many here, even Dusk. Though it's possible..."

It was a little while before Akik finally broke the silence.

"...what if we told each other what our secret was?"

Spade raised an eyebrow. "...why?"

"So we could vouch for each other," Akik shrugged. "No reason to kill someone over a secret if you're gonna tell someone anyway.

Spade thought about that for a moment. "I'll tell mine if you tell yours."

Akik nodded, and exhaled.

"...I'm gay. That's my secret."

He raised his eyebrow again. "That's it?"

"Yeah."

"Not gonna lie, I was expecting more."

Akik chuckled. "Well, I see that. I don't keep many secrets, really. It's just something I never was able to get out of me. I actually do have a boyfriend, his name's Blake. He's the only one that knows, though. My parents and other friends just think I'm close friends with him. Really I don't know why I haven't told anyone, my adopted parents are both my moms, for crying out loud."

"I've killed people through fortunes I've read for them."

Akik blinked. "What?"

Spade chuckled nervously. "Yeah. It's not just because I want to, of course, I'm not a psychopath. It's just genuinely how I interpret some fortunes. The higher powers wish for them to be ended immediately or soon, and to keep them from a slow, agonizing death I just..." He quickly swiped his finger across his neck, a motion that looked much less threatening when done so quick.

"...oh wow." Akik wasn't sure if he should feel threatened, horrified, or intrigued.

"I know what you're thinking. No, I won't kill you if I foresee you dying a painful execution unless you want me to."

"That's reassuring."

There were jumped by the headmaster's voice once again.

"Tiiiiiiime's up, students! Head on down to the trial room and let's get voting!"

Akik and Spade exchanged nervous glances before leaving, exiting down the stairs and heading for the elevator.

The elevator ride to the trial room was deathly silent. It was slightly crowded as well, which didn't help - although with three people dead, it was better than it could be. Akik happened to be standing next to Addie somewhere in the middle of the crowded students. Addie still seemed expressionless, not showing any sort of emotion in her storm blue eyes.

He nudged her with his arm. "Hey. You alright?"

"Could be better." Addie exhaled, her face not changing. She glanced up at him. "You guys find anything?"

"A little," Akik said, quiet because of how silent the elevator was. He didn't say any more than that due to present company.

Addie nodded. "Cool. That's useful."

"Yeah. Did you find anything?"

"...Yeah. Yeah, I think I did."

"Good."

"Yeah."

They remained silent the rest of the elevator ride.

-

"Alright, let's get this show on the road!" Monokumadi announced once everyone was in the room. "Let's start this trial and figure out who's my new favorite for this kill!"

No one found that funny. Monokumadi sighed, muttered something to herself, and sat down on her chair. There was a new picture in place of Dusk with his face on it, crossed out to accompany Cinder and Octavia.

"Spade and I have... a few hints as to who it could be," Akik said. He looked at his friend, who nodded in agreement.

"We've determined it must've been one of the boys present who killed Dusk. The cable, probably used to hang the body, was missing from part of the workout equipment in the boys' locker room." Spade swept his eyes over everyone. "And fortunately, our prime suspect happens to fall into that category."

His eyes landed on Gradient.

"Gradient. Would you like to explain why Dusk's manner of death represents the manner of a specific serial killer's methods?"

Gradient shrugged, nonchalant. "I don't know. Why are you asking me?"

"Because..." Spade pulled the knife that killed Dusk out of his pocket. "I have my reasons to suspect that you are the one that killed Dusk."

"Are you accusing me of murder again?" Gradient rolled his eyes. "Seriously, this is becoming a recurring theme and it's more irritating than anything."

"Don't try to lie and explain yourself."Akik glared at Gradient. "We know who you are."

"Of course you do, I've told you my name."

"Not that. Who you really are."

"What, my real name? Ha-ha. Very threatening that you know my real name."

God, he's frustrating, Akik thought in annoyance. "Gradient, stop avoiding the question."

He smiled without showing his teeth, as he always does. "What question?"

"This really isn't getting anywhere," Fabian pointed out, almost bored.

"Oh, but is it?" Monokumadi flicked an ear, liking the conflict.

"I'll be sure this is going nowhere if you decide to pin the blame on me again," Gradient scoffed, his smile fading. "Because spoiler alert: I didn't do anything."

"Then at least tell us the truth," Spade glared daggers at him. "This murder has identical properties to the serial killer - still on the loose, may I add - the Smiling Devil. And I'm sure you have a clue as to why."

Multiple people across the room gasped slightly, seeming shocked at the accusation. Gradient just stared blankly at Spade. Stared. Stared.

Then burst into laughter.

"So you know now, huh?" He manages to form words through his laughter. "No matter what I tell you, you're not gonna believe me, so no point in hiding it anymore."

Gradient looks back at Spade, his laughter suddenly ceasing. He was smiling - not even that, he was grinning. Grinning in a way that shook Akik to his core - it was barely human, the way he smiled with his unnaturally sharp, sharp teeth.

"That's my secret, you guessed it. I am the Smiling Devil."

Everyone was visibly unsettled by his now obviously psychotic behavior. He laughed again, twitching erratically with an odd, uncontrolled fashion.

Suddenly Gradient snapped out of it again. He wasn't smiling anymore. More annoyed now.

"See there? You made me get excited. Don't make me do that unless you want me to hang your gutted corpse like someone did to Dusk."

Akik processed the past few seconds before shaking his head. "So you're... implying that you, impossibly, didn't kill Dusk?"

Gradient smiled again, somewhere between his usual smirk and the insane grin he wore so well. "Correct."

"Well, if it wasn't you, then who did it?" Akik said this accusingly. "No one here knew you were a serial killer before the murder, so how could they replicate your tactics and frame you without knowing you were here?"

Gradient just shrugged. "I didn't tell anyone - whole point of a secret, right?"

"What, so we're just gonna deny all evidence and say it's not him?" Anatox snapped from her spot. She was still shivering, just not as much as earlier. "It's obvious now that he's the only one that could've done it!"

"Chill out, Anatox, he's not off the suspect list just yet," Spade sighed. "We need solid evidence before we make a decision."

"May I speak?"

Everyone turned to Addie. Spade nodded at her.

"Go ahead."

"I went to the first floor to find clues," Addie said. "I found all the digital handbooks of the people who've died so far. Cinder's and Octavia's were there, of course. However, Dusk's was not. So I searched a little..."

She pulled a handbook from her pocket. The screen was blank.

"I found this one in the library. I assume it to be Dusk's, however..."

She attempted to turn it on, with no avail.

"It doesn't work," Addie confirmed. "Someone - the killer, presumably - found a way to break them."

"It doesn't turn on?" Akik asked for second confirmation.

"No, it does not."

"Then... how do we know it's Dusk's?" Spade pointed out.

"We don't," Addie said. "That's just my first assumption, considering Dusk didn't have his when I checked."

"We can check that," Akik said. "Everyone get out your handbooks and turn them on so we can see that you have yours."

Everyone did what he said, turning on their handbooks and confirming that they owned their own. Except one.

Anatox fumbled with her handbook with trembling fingers, unable to turn hers on. She seemed to be starting to panic, her breathing becoming faster. "It's not working. Why's it not working?!"

"...Anatox, are... you okay?" Tonix was obviously caught off guard by his friend's behavior. He lowered his voice a little to talk to her. "You've been acting weird all morning, is there something wrong?"

"I am fine!" She was smiling, but seemed almost in pain as she did. "I don't feel great, maybe I'm sick, I don't know, I'll just go to bed after this."

Tonix flinched back, then, with a determined look, looked at Monokumadi. "Let her go back to her room, obviously she's ill or something."

Monokumadi shook her head, smile never ceasing. "Not until the trial's over. She can tough it out."

Akik and Spade exchanged a glance, both sharing similar thoughts. Spade voiced those thoughts before Akik could. "Anatox, how long have you been feeling like this?"

"Since yesterday evening," she shakily sighed, wiping sweat from her brow his her sleeve. She was pale, like she was about to collapse. "It's fine. I caught something I guess."

"None of us have any visible symptoms of sickness, and we haven't left since we got trapped here, how did you 'catch something?'" Tonix asked. It wasn't accusing, he just seemed worried for his friend.

"I don't know, man, you're the scientist, shouldn't you know?"

"I would, but it's... less than likely that you caught something just by being here."

"If she's been off since yesterday, it's not because of Dusk," Addie said. "I was with him most of the day, and into the evening, so he didn't die until late last night, like the file Monokumadi put together said."

Akik thought for a moment. "There's a lot of evidence that points the blame to Anatox. But... she's a girl. How would she get into the boy's locker room?"

"...she could if she had a boy's handbook."

Akik looked at Addie, who was looking at the broken handbook in her hand.

"Dusk didn't have his handbook. Meaning... it could've been taken when he died. And while she was in the locker room, somehow the tablets must've been broken. How? I don't know. But... it makes sense."

Anatox looked in frantic shock at Akik and Addie. "What? I didn't do it, what are you saying?!"

Tonix seemed shocked as well. "T-there's no way she did it, she wouldn't do that!"

"What's your reasoning behind that?" Spade asked him.

"I've known her for a while. She wants to go into the police force," Tonix explained. "It's why she's the ultimate martial artist. She practices a lot. I watch her sometimes, even." He realizes he's about to get off-topic, so he changes the directory of his words. "She was even interning at the police station. If she wanted to help people, she wouldn't ruin her chances by killing people here. It's not like her to do that!"

"I understand it may seem unlikely that your friend is the culprit," Spade sighed, "But things like this can bring out the worst in people. And judging by your own claims, it points the blame more in her direction."

Tonix seemed surprised. "What?"

"If she was joining the police force," Spade said, "She would know about certain criminals. Sometimes criminals are only on the loose because there's not enough present evidence to convict them. Meaning she may have known the true identity of Gradient here, and in order to finally get rid of him, she decided to frame him and escape."

Tonix's gaze flickered between Anatox and Spade. He shook his head. "Well, if she's been sick since yesterday, she couldn't have killed someone! She would've been resting, not out for murder!"

"No."

Anatox spoke shakily, and Tonix looked down at her, surprised.

"No. Y-you're right. I... need to come clean." She took an unsteady breath. "...yes. I killed Dusk."

No one was surprised at this point, except for Tonix. He immediately became frantic.

"What-?! No you didn't, don't take the blame! All that's gonna do is-"

"Tonix!" Anatox almost yelled at him. He shrunk back, flinching. The look in his eyes was confused, hurt, betrayed. He didn't speak anymore, though.

"I killed Dusk because he was the easy target," Anatox sighed. "I knew who Gradient was from the start, but I'm sure he didn't know who I was, since I was new to the police force and was only an intern. But I'd read about his crimes. All I wanted to do was stop him. So I trained, trained, trained... did things I regret even now. Even knowing the consequences, I used certain drugs to help me get stronger faster so I could take him down before he could hurt anyone else."

There was an unease in her eyes as she said that. "That was my secret. Substance abuse, obviously, would get me rejected from my job. So I kept that hidden, obviously. It's also why I'm sick - I thought I'd packed plenty, and I knew I could sneak it in undetected, but I ran out the other day. This is just a withdrawal."

She took another shaking breath. "I caught Dusk alone, killed him - put up a decent fight, surprisingly. He might have some background in fighting that we didn't know of - and strung him up like that to blame Gradient. The knife in the book was a clue, since not everyone knows exactly what extents Gradient will go to in his murders." She shoots a glare at the serial killer, who grins teasingly.

"I took his handbook and took out the cable in the boy's locker room. I think I dropped Dusk's handbook in there for some reason. I went to the girls locker room to replace the cable I'd taken, but... someone came in while I was doing it for whatever reason. I think someone might've gone to go swimming. I don't know who it was, but I hid in the sauna. That's where my handbook broke, I guess, maybe they're not great with heat."

"That was me," Addie admitted. "I went swimming last night. Couldn't sleep. Thought a swim would be nice. Good job there, I guess, I didn't even know you were in there."

"So... yeah." Anatox sighed. "That's what happened. Just freaking get this over with, I'm not making it out of here anyway."

Tonix looked faint. "A-Anatox..."

"Don't try to help here, Tonix." She didn't meet his eyes. "There's nothing you can do."

"Alrighty, then!" Monokumadi excitedly got up, tail wagging. "I love me some true crime drama. It's obvious we all know who it was, so let's just skip right to it: the ultimate punishment for the ultimate martial artist!"

-

3801 words

Wow who woulda thunk it Gradient's the equivalent of Genocide Jack/Jill in this lol

Also surprise, Anatox somewhat obeys the law in this instead of being an assassin XD

Now to go draw the ending of her execution bye-

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro