39. ETHAN: MIDNIGHT KISSES A ONE MORE NIGHT

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Ethan?"

I tensed and slowly turned away from the window. Lara was the last person I expected to see standing there. She hesitated in the doorway of the study with her arms wrapped around her stomach and her eyes darting around the room.

"Go to bed, Lara," I ordered as I turned back around to face the window.

I listened attentively for her footsteps to fade away, but instead they got closer. My eyes fluttered closed when I sucked in a breath and her scent drifted towards me. She smelt like me, even if my scent was a little faint and Silas's scent dominated mine. I wished my scent was stronger though. I wished a lot of things that would never happen.

"Are you okay?"

I took another sip of brandy. A sigh fell from my lips when the alcohol burned down my throat. Alcohol didn't affect us. We couldn't get drunk and that sucked. I actually wished I could get wasted. The alcohol would've numbed the pain. My eyes dropped to the glass with a pinch of amber liquid still left. After a second's hesitation, I threw it back and headed to the bar for another refill.

Lara had moved to stand in front of the window where I had stood only moments ago. Her shoulders were slumped, and I noticed that she had dropped her arms to her side, giving me a clear view of her shaky hands. I bit my lip as I placed the glass down and slowly made my way towards her. I stopped behind her but left enough space between us for her to walk away if she wanted too.

"The baby wasn't his," I whispered. "It was mine."

She swallowed loudly. "Why did you say it was his?"

My eyes darted over her head to stare out the window. Why had I made it out like he was the one who did wrong? Because I was sick of trying to keep everything glued together. I reached up and gripped the braid that hung down her back. Lara didn't try to stop me when I tugged the hair tie out and started loosening the braid.

"I wanted to hurt him," I hesitated. "I wanted to hurt you."

"Why?"

There were a lot of things I could've said but I kept silent. Wall had ears and what I wanted to tell her might just land in the wrong hands. Lara sighed when I ran my hands through her hair. My fingers brushed against the nape of her neck. I wanted to pull her against me and bury my nose against her neck. I wanted to hold her tight and promise that I wouldn't ever hurt her again. But I couldn't because it would happen again. I would hurt her again.

"Was it all a lie?" Lara asked. "Everything you did and said to me, was it all a lie?"

My hands dropped to my side when she turned around to face me. Lara tilted her head up, making my eyes drop to the crook of her neck. My mark was dark against her pale skin. I itched to reach out and touch it, but I didn't.

I clenched my fist and took a small step back.

"Ethan?"

This was my chance to push her away. To tell her that everything I had said were lies. My lips parted but I quickly slammed my mouth closed. I shook my head and leaned closer. Her eyes instantly dropped to my lips, making my stomach clench. Was she thinking about kissing me?

"It wasn't a lie," I whispered.

Her eyes filled with tears. "It hurts when you and Silas fight. It hurts to see you with Avery, kissing and everything."

Swallowing, I turned and walked over to the door. After glancing out into the hall to make sure that no one was around, I closed the door and locked it. Lara was frowning. I ignored her and walked over to the desk. Leaning over it, I flicked on the lamp and then walked back to the door to switch off the main lights.

"I don't want anyone to know we're here," I told her.

"Why?"

I took a seat on the couch and held out a hand towards her. "Come sit with me, beauty?"

She hesitated. Her eyes darted between the door and me. I waited in anticipation for her to make her decision. Lara surprised me again when she walked over to me and sunk down on the opposite site of the couch. She moved to tug her feet beneath her body, but I reached out and grabbed her ankles to tug her legs over my lap.

"I can't tell you anything, Lara." I paused as I thought over what I wanted to say. "Fighting with Silas—acting like I hate him—is the only thing that's. . ." I trailed off. "I don't know how to explain this to you."

Lara moved closer until her body was pressed into my side. "I'll ask you questions and then you just answer with yes or no, okay?"

"Okay," I said after a few minutes. "Only yes or no questions."

She nodded. Lara shifted on the couch. It looked like she was uncomfortable. I raised my arm and slipped it behind her back to pull her onto my lap. It took only a few seconds for her to relax against me. I couldn't help myself—I placed my hands on her stomach and slowly rubbed it.

"Do you like fighting with your brother?"

"No."

"Do you really love him?"

"Yes."

"Would you do anything for him?"

"Yes." Without hesitation.

"Do you have feelings for Avery?"

I hesitated. "No."

"Do you love her?"

Once upon a time, I was head over heels in love with her. I would've done anything she asked of me, and I had, but look where that got me. She fucked my brother behind my back. She played us both and when she was caught she placed the blame on Silas. I believed her at first, but then the more stories she spewed, the harder it became to believe her. I knew Silas—we grew up together—and by the time I realized that she was lying, it was already too late.

Avery would do anything to get what she wanted and she proved that when she approached me with her proposal. It wasn't much of a proposal at all. Blackmail was the only thing that got me to agree to her fucking plans. I forced the anger down that started to rise. There was a reason that I was doing this. It was important for me to remember the reasons so I didn't make a mistake.

Avery was a bitch and very unpredictable. She would do anything to get what she wanted.

"No."

"That took you a while to answer," she muttered.

I lowered my head and pressed my lips against her forehead. "I was making sure of my answer."

Lara shifted sideways on my lap and pressed her hand against my chest. "Do you like me?"

"No." I heard her sharp intake of air. "I love you, there's a difference."

Her wide eyes snapped up to mine. "W-what?"

I smirked at her. "Only yes or no questions, beauty."

Lara pursed her lips and glanced away. "Cheater."

A laugh fell from my lips. I lowered my head at the same time she tilted her head back up. We both froze when our lips brushed. I expected Lara to instantly pull away, but she didn't. Her hand slipped up my chest to my neck.

"I hate you for hurting me. For hurting Silas. I hate you for being with Avery, but I can't stop craving you. I know it's wrong to—"

"There's nothing wrong about it," I interrupted her. "You were made for Silas and me. From the moment you were born out paths were fated to cross one day. It happened sooner than I expected and in the worse possible timing."

"I—"

"I know," I whispered. "I wished things were different. I wished that I had a shot with you. I wished that I could hold you like this every night and kiss you whenever I felt like it. I wished a lot of things but I know that it would never be true."

"Never?" she croaked.

I shook my head. My eyes dropped to her quivering lips. I couldn't look into her eyes any longer. It hurt too much to see the pain there—pain that I was causing her just because I made a stupid fucking mistake. If I could turn back time, I would. I would change it all just to have her by my side.

Slipping my hand into her hair, I tilted her head back and pressed my forehead against hers. I yearned for her so badly. I might never be able to have her this close to me ever again. This was the only time we'd ever be able to talk like this. After what happened tonight, things between everybody would never be the same.

"Give me tonight, Lara," I whispered. "Stay with me tonight." 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro