-39-

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

After hours of travel from the Hollow Earth back to the surface, Akane found herself having fallen asleep during the journey.

She awoke in a medical bed, not remembering when they have arrived precisely. When she opened her eyes and looked around, she spotted Colonel Togashi, Simon, Rick, Andrew, Chen and Ling in the room with her, watching when she would wake up. "You are awake." Colonel Togashi said, removing his cap from his head. "How long was I asleep?" Akane asked, moving to sit up. "Enough for you to get the rest you needed." Chen said from where she sat on the other side of the medical bed, moving a hand to place it on Akane's. "You fought well, Lieutenant. The military and Monarch thank you for your unwavering bravery you demonstrated down there. Along with your friends" Colonel Togashi said, straightening up and giving a salute. Akane watched him and then nodded, accepting the gesture that the high ranking man gave her with a nod.. Then she looked down at her arms, which were bandaged up to help her heal from the wounds. From what she could see, there were some burn marks from the overheating and the scars made from the red invading tendrils. "I guess...I may have gotten a bit too much from that" Akane said, setting her arm down on the cover sheets. "Why do say that?" Simon asked her. "The meltdown. I...have gotten exposed to too much radiation. I don't think I will be able to live long to celebrate afterwards." Akane said, sighing a bit. "What nonsense you speak. You don't have any trace of radioactive poisoning. It's more, they already examined your health." Simon said in disbelief of what she said. "I don't? Not a single bit?" Akane asked bewildered at hearing the news.

At that moment, a medic came in, having overheard the conversation. "It's true. We ran several blood tests, and radiation ones, and we found that you don't have any except the levels that are appropriate for humans. It's as if you weren't affected at all." They said, handing out a results sheet for Akane to take. When she saw them, they showed that what they say about her health was true. There was not a single mention of some genetic defects or signs that meant illness...even the risk of developing cancer due to the exposure to such was down to zero percent. "This is..." Akane said, still in utter disbelief seeing all of this. "All of this means that you are in good health and no further risk of getting any fatal complications. You will recover soon enough" the medic said, taking the papers away once Akane was done reading them before leaving the room. Those that were in the room watched them go before turning back to face Akane. "My best guess is that the main energy source from Shiryu was what caused it. As well as having prevented from such outcomes. They should use the energy as fuel and medicine, not weapons." Simon said. "Well? Does that satisfy your doubts?" Rick asked her. Akane sighed, letting out a breath of relief as she nodded slightly and smiled a bit. Yet...her thought drifted to another thing as her smile faded slowly.

Chen noticed her discomfort immediately before anyone could. "Is there something bothering you?" Chen asked. "I...kind of wish Shiryu was here. Me and him...felt each other. We were the same, fighting to survive. And...as crazy as this may sound...Shiryu and I wanted to be together." Akane said, looking down at her bandages hands. Chen was about to tell her something, but she stopped when she saw Akane about to speak again. "It's fine, though. Mothra knew the risks, which I accepted. And Shiryu chose to save me in the end. In other words...I am truly fine for how things have turned out to be" she said, this time looking up at them and making a genuine smile. Chen and Ling both smiled at the same time, Akane quite possibly sensing their silent words in their pride. Who knows, maybe the blessing from the mother titan was still attached to her own skin without having fallen off. Simon, having moved carefully when they were speaking, was noticed now at the other side of Akane's medical bed, and then reached into his coat pocket with a hand. "I don't think you should bid farewell to Shiryu just yet" Simon said, placing something on Akane's lap.

There, small and shiny, was what looked like a hard dive.

"Us engineers found this right beneath your seat in the escape pod. Which...was unusual for that to appear there. Anyways, we examined its contents and found that it contains all of Shiryu's previous data." Simon explained as Akane picked up the small hard drive to examine it. "Does this mean...that it contains...his memories?" Akane asked, looking back up at Simon. "Not quite. Something like that amount would have been stored in the central computer, which unfortunately was destroyed. Though, it does contain key elements to its makeup, which means that it can develop and learn like it did from the start" he explained. Akane looked back to the hard drive in her hand, and then closed her fingers around it. "That's a relief. At least now...I have something to remember Shiryu by..." she said, smiling in a genuine manner. "Only the best for Ms. Akane Yashiro." Simon said proudly, fixing his glasses with his hand. "Hey, is this you flirting? Since when were you good at that?" Rick intervened, having a puzzled and shocked face. "I was only being kind and polite. What is it with you and all of this romance stuff you seem to be an expert about?" Simon asked the other person. "I'm actually starting to get jealous of you. Now women like smart guys instead of handsome men." Rick said with a sneezing face. Simon groaned and sighed, rubbing his eyes with a hand as everyone in the room laughed. After a moment, Akane began to remember something else. "What about Gojirin, Chibisuke and Anguirus?" Akane asked. "Oh, no need to worry about them. They are actually living together in Hollow Earth, right below Odo Island, making it their new home." Rick said. "Mothra went back to the other side of Hollow Earth. Reports say that an Iwi tribe has been discovered down there." Ling said. "That's...good to hear. Now I know they are fine. Maybe I can visit them some time later" Akane said, smiling and then resting her head back while her friends continued chatting.

Akane, having healed from her wounds completely, was currently standing in a platform at the underground hangar, leaning against the railings.

Some months have passed ever since the intense battle. In front of her, Shiryu Kai's damaged body and frame, having been transported from the Hollow Earth to the base, was currently going through an extensive repair. The systems and the components were being removed from it, in order to better examine what went wrong and to replace it with new components. Akane stared up at the large mechagodzilla, remembering the time that she piloted such massive machine with her best efforts. She looked down at the hard drive that contained Shiryu's previous data, which was in her hands, and then turned her eyes back up at the large machine that continued to undergo slow but steady repairs. "Lieutenant Yashiro. I didn't expect to see you here in these off-limits area. Not that you are disobeying orders, of course." Togashi's voice said from the side, making Akane look up at the Colonel. She immediately moved to straighten up and salute to the high ranking officer. "What brings you here to this area?" Colonel Togashi asked Akane. "Respectfully, sir, I...can't get over the urge to be here and watch how it gets repaired. It brings so many good memories" she said, glancing at Shiryu Kai far from them before looking back at the Colonel. "Are you sure that it doesn't give you bad memories?" Colonel Togashi asked. "Not at all. Those memories are still there, yet...I've gotten used to them. I am no longer too prone to stalling. Less being afraid to die. Being here...reminds me of the moment I left my fears to the side...and moved forwards to becoming a true pilot." Akane said, smiling a bit.

Colonel Togashi nodded, smiling as well with a face that expressed undisputed approval. "So, are you still planning to keep your title as Lieutenant? You have turned down so many opportunities to get promoted to higher ranks." Colonel Togashi asked. "Being a Lieutenant and a pilot is enough for me. In fact, I feel like this position allows me to do what I truly love. And also, it gives me the opportunity to visit my father more often to spend more time." Akane explained to him. "Ah, I see. Speaking of, how has your father been doing?" Colonel Togashi said, gesturing Akane to follow as he began walking. "He has been doing well. His work in the medical field is expanding, and he has managed to get some time off so we can talk as daughter and father. Now he is like the father I once knew before, radiant and welcome." Akane said, feeling proud and remembering the last time she visited her father once again. "I am glad that you and your father are getting along well again." Colonel Togashi complimented Akane as the two walked together.

Before long, Colonel Togashi began to lead Akane to a set of doors, which would lead them to the hangars where Jet Jaguar and Moguera were also undergoing extensive repairs. "While Shiryu Kai is being repaired and given an overhaul, which type of machine do you prefer to pilot so that you can continue to sharpen your skills?" Colonel Togashi asked while they walked. "Sir?" Akane asked, a bit puzzled as to why the high ranking officer was asking her such things. "You can have Jet Jaguar, Moguera, and even the new fighter jet that is close to finishing development in the meantime. So that you can continue to pilot. I can only assume that you are dreaming about getting back into action." Colonel Togashi said, leading Akane through the other hangars. "Respectfully, sir, as much as I would like to hop into combat again, I am inclined to say that it would be too soon to do so. Yes, I would love to, just not immediately. With, of course, the exception of an emergency." Akane said quickly, doing her best to level out her excitement and her firm balancing demeanor. Colonel Togashi stopped in his tracks and looked back at Akane. At first she expected him to give her a questioning look and reprimand her. However, he kept giving her the same approving smile as he gave a small chuckle. "You have grown so much in such little time I have come to know you. And I will respect your choice. Therefore, I'd like you to give you an insight on another project." Colonel Togashi said, reaching to a door that led to yet another hangar and unlocking it with the high authorization card. Akane's heart jumped a bit, more in confusion and shock, as she followed the Colonel. Once inside the hangar, she looked up and saw that in this place, another machine was being built. The frame, its skeleton, was already done, leaving the outer frame and body as the next part to be finished. When the silhouette was closely examined, Akane saw that it was somewhat familiar to...the machine and titan she knew. "You're telling me that this is..." Akane breathed, still looking up at the immense size and structure of the machine being built.

"That's correct. This machine's name is..." Colonel Togashi said.

The sound of electronics humming and the air whooshing past the outside were heard inside the cockpit, while Akane sat strapped into the pilot seat.

The long moment of silence was cut off when the radio picked up a transmission. ["This is command base. Lieutenant Akane Yashiro, do you copy?"] Colonel Togashi's voice said in the radio. "Loud and clear, command" Akane responded, looking to the side and flicking some switches as she prepared for what was to come. She was inside the cockpit of the new machine, which was being lifted and transported by the air via an Argo airship, as she waited for further instructions while they neared the mission area. ["As briefed, you will engage with the rouge titan, Titanus Orochi, that has made landfall in Tokyo bay. The mission is to prevent its advance to the center of the city while the residents are evacuated to a safe zone. Is that understood?"] Colonel Togashi said on the radio. "Yes sir, understood." Akane said, firm as the orders were given to her.

A couple of moments later and they arrived at the zone where Akane and her machine were to be deployed. The sight of the city during the moon-lit night was a beautiful one, but the added sight of smoke and distant explosions made the beauty more grim. While the Argo that carried the large TCU machine neared the objective, Akane could now see with the aid of the cameras zooming in on what was happening in more detail. Titanus Orochi, a dragon with multiple heads like a hydra, was taring through the city of Tokyo, crashing into buildings and opening its several jaws to fire various elemental attacks around it. Far away from the rampaging monster, civilians were being evacuated in a hurry as they quickly got into the transports. All the small vehicles and some things were left behind by the citizens in order to make their escape more quicker. One of them, a military cargo transport, seemed to be the only one that hasn't joined the group that was driving away. The lights from the vehicle flickered, a sign that meant the engine was not starting, and Akane saw with a gasp that it was in the direct path of the hydra titan's rampage.

Realizing that there was no time to wait until the Argo reached the target point, Akane quickly began to flick switches and press buttons in order to prepare for battle. "Command base, this is Akane Yashiro! There are some civilians still stuck in the city! Requesting permission to launch immediately to provide cover for them! I will use the booster back to make my way to them quickly! Prepared for release!" Akane said to the command center through the radio, ready to detach her machine from the cables that connected it to the Argo. ["Hold on! We haven't reached the designated—"] one of the Argo pilots stammered, but was interrupted by Togashi. ["It's fine. Let her detach. I hereby authorize that she is let off the hook. Akane Yashiro, this is Colonel Togashi. I give you permission to deploy. But don't do anything reckless. Got that?"] the Colonel said on the radio, making Akane smile. "Yes sir. Unit MFS-3...deploying!" Akane said, flicking a switch. The entire cockpit rocked a bit as the cables detached from the machine, letting it drop into a free fall. Akane grabbed the controls tightly, pressing buttons on them as she made modifications. The machine then used its engines to stabilize itself before boosting forwards at tremendous speeds. This made Akane grunt a bit as the force of acceleration pressed her against her seat, yet she was used to this as she held the controls expertly to pilot the machine in decent towards the rouge titan.

[There should be a GIF or video here. Update the app now to see it.]

Up ahead, Orochi continued its rampage across the city, destroying everything with its massive claws and its elemental breaths. As it moved on, it was getting closer and closer to reach the transport that was still having engine problems. One of the hydra's heads was about to fire...directly at the transport vehicle. Seeing this, Akane increased the throttle of her machine to boost more quicker. Once close to the surface of the ground, Akane pulled the controls in order to slow down the massive machine she was piloting, using the additional boosters to slow down. The boosters fired and began to slow down the machine, making it hover above the surface as it skimmed over a river while water was thrown everywhere. Then, in an expert move, Akane boosted the machine forwards at top speed, giving out a battle yell as she rammed the machine she piloted into the hydra titan, just before it fired its attack. The force of the impact, as well as the momentum, made Orochi roar as it was pushed back, nearly being sent flying as it crashed into some buildings. While the hydra titan recovered, Akane moved her machine to look back at the transport full of civilians, which was saved and now able to start the motor to drive away as quickly as possible. ["This is Colonel Togashi. All civilians have been evacuated and accounted for. You are clear to engage."] Colonel Togashi said on the radio while Akane made her machine face the hydra titan once more. Titanus Orochi roared with each of its heads in challenge, infuriated by the large machine that has interrupted its rampage. Akane took in a deep breath, exhaled, and then narrowed her eyes, looking up at the large monster as she gripped the controls tightly.

"Roger! Unit MFS-3...Kiryu...Engaging!" Akane said, making the mechagodzilla she piloted roar in challenge at the opponent titan.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro