Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

And it's not good to be all alone
So you should probably stay, be with me, a couple more days
Come on let me change your ticket home

"I'M AFRAID this isn't a curse that can be easily broken." Fairy Godmother sighed, setting the snow globe back on the table.

My heart felt heavy when I saw the disappointment on Emma's face. She looked shattered by the statement.

"Is there nothing that can be done?" Evie asked.

Ben was fiddling with his fingers as he listened. "I doubt Maleficent would actually break the spell... even if you deliver that watch to her." He said thoughtfully.

Most of us nodded. Maleficent's word wasn't exactly good.

"But there's no other way, huh?" Emma said quietly.

Fairy Godmother buried her head in her hands, obviously upset. "There has to be another way." She said, before explaining, "This is a curse of Maleficent's scepter. She must've somehow transferred her magic through it when the barrier opened. And the only thing more powerful than the curse of the scepter-"

"-Hades' ember." Mal finished, sitting up suddenly and looking very ready for action.

"Uh. Yes- but no." Ben intercepted, clearly worried about his girlfriend, "The ember may be more powerful than the scepter, but there is no way I'm letting you near that guy. Hades is too dangerous. And I'd bet you anything he wouldn't help."

I caught Jay's gaze and I knew we were both thinking the same thing: If we survived last time, surely we'd be alright this time?

"Actually he might do it for me." Mal said.

Ben turned to her, waiting for her to explain why in the heck the god of the underworld would do that for her. Again, I was thinking the same thing.

Mal exhaled loudly, not making eye contact with anyone. "He owes me a favor" was her blandly put answer.

"I still don't think it's a good idea to go back to the Isle." Fairy Godmother frowned, "Again."

I glanced at Emma, who was practically still as a rock, gripping the edge of her dress. It was awful to see her like that. I groaned internally.

If this is how it feels to have a sister, I don't know if I'm gonna like it at all.

"Maleficent wants me to give her this pocket watch." I reminded everyone, "Any ideas why?"

"I'm guessing because she knows you'll do it." Carlos said, arms crossed, "She knows you have a brave enough heart to actually go back to the Isle and help..." He paused, concerned about his wording. "... you know, your family."

Gosh, I kinda wish he didn't say that.

"So the only reason why she wants me to take this to her-" I lifted up the pocket watch. "-is so the barrier would open again?"

"Yes." Fairy Godmother answered, "And that's why I'm keeping it extra strictly closed. No going in and out. At least for the time being."

There was a restrained sob that bursted from the other end of the table and I realized it was Emma.

Evie was quick to comfort her while I was at a loss of words. "Hey. I'm sure we'll figure something out." She told her gently, clasping her arm.

I couldn't help but wonder if it was my responsibility to comfort my sister.

"I know." Emma hastily wiped her tears away, "I just- I really miss him." She gestured to the statue inside the snow globe.

Somehow I understood her hurt. Even when I've never "meet" my parents before, I still feel like I've physically lost them. I think it's the same with the rest of the VKs. They have their "parent", but still feel the grief of not having one that actually loves them.

I bet Emma's dad loved her enough to make her miss him like this.

"Em." I swallowed before continuing, "I know nothing I say will make it better. But I want you to stay the night, if that's okay? Fairy Godmother will continue looking for a solution." I peeked at the Fairy Godmother for her agreement and she nodded. "And meanwhile, you can be close enough to hear any immediate news."

Emma's eyebrows knitted together. "I'm worried about leaving mom alone at home."

"I'll pop on over to talk to her." Fairy Godmother offered, "And hopefully she'll feel comfortable enough to cooperate with me too."

"I doubt it but I guess it's worth a shot." Emma said honestly, "Thank you, really."

"I just-" I said, "I just really think you need a break from all that stuff that's been happening in your house. The last couple months must've been torture."

The single teardrop that rolled down her cheek confirmed it.

Jay went and gave Emma a friendly squeeze on the shoulders. "We'll take care of you. Any sister of Brae's is a sister of ours."

Jay's soft side comes out once a full-moon so I knew those words spoke volumes.

Everyone nodded, and I could feel the love and pride burning in my chest. Emma looked at me, and for the first time her gaze was bright with certainty. She didn't seem scared of me anymore.

Maybe in her eyes, I was no longer the villain.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro