024:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

024:

Both of them lost their boards, came up farther down the beach, laughing, and slapping each other's hands in a high five after they made it to the sand and collapsed. He was seemingly recovered, and now stared at her frankly.

"How did you know?" He asked, and she didn't need to ask what, she knew that as well.

"I sensed that you cared about her more than--- say--- anyone else you're seeing. They're a good front, but your eyes speak louder than your actions." She smiled, kicked back all wet and sandy, her arms and legs plastered with it.

"So, what do you think I should do?"

She shrugged. "You're part of this family now. I think you should get baptized and then.... Maybe... go on a mission."

"I've got contracts." He said, rationally, but disappointed.

"Break them. Happens all the time in the industry." She suggested practically. "Your salvation is worth more than that."

"I've got projects that I can't pass up. I can't afford to lose them." He injected seriously. "I mean, I know the gospel is important, but I've found out about it a little too late for a mission. Don't you have to be twenty-six? I'm twenty-four now."

"So? That's enough time." She said pragmatically, not worried about his career at all.

Had Tracy raised all her children to be this obstinate?

"I need another suggestion." He said, annoyed.

"Hm. Another suggestion. Okay." She smiled at him. "Get baptized and then... get married."

His heart fell. This wasn't helping at all. She was full of childish answers, but no real help. "I can't just go get married. To whom? Pray tell? To whom would I just go and get married?"

"You'll find someone. Tom has found someone."

"Tom is Tom." He said in disgust, admitting that Tom really had found someone, and found her hot on the heels of Annette. Polly was perfect for him, too.

"When you make the right decisions, the Lord will provide. I don't really know who you're going to meet. But it will be someone perfect for you."

"And you think there's no chance it's Melia?"

She shook her head.

"And no chance it's you?"

She screwed up her suntanned face in a mocking scowl. "Are you kidding? I'm about as far away from your type as....well... as my sister Cassie."

"I don't even know your sister Cassie." He laughed and tossed sand at her. "And I don't care to."

"Good, cause she wouldn't have you. And no, I wouldn't either, and that's not a slam, you're not my type either. You're too.... Perfect: and I need a guy who isn't perfect and someone who likes my moody, artistic side. You are all business. It's why you're attracted to Melia. She's all business too!" She got up and hauled her board along with her.

Matthew caught up with her. "Well, I'm glad we got that off our backs." He slung his free arm around her shoulders. "Sis." He added for good measure.

"Bro." she quipped, an arm around his waist, and he found that he liked it, really liked that feeling. He felt included, felt cared about. Felt obligated to care, and that felt amazing in his carefree mixed up, too busy, too in your face world.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro