070:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

070:

The sun was hot, and blinding and dry after the humidity of Hawaii where they'd been filming. The red rock canyons were exceptional, but she had no one to share them with. As the only mother with children, she felt compelled to keep Abby in a sling, and out of the sun, and chase after Hannah so that she didn't fall overboard. It was wearing and she feared that this trip would be another just like the campout Robert had set up.

It wasn't even one day aboard the houseboat when she was regretting her decision to come. She was in the room that had been assigned to her, albeit the largest room available, she'd thought perhaps someone else would want it, but Ryan had allowed Maille to give it to her, hinting that she somehow demanded the best for herself. He was up on deck, living it up with his friends...

She came out to the kitchen leaving Hannah asleep on the bed, wondering where Ryan was planning to sleep since he didn't sleep with her. She started back into the room when she realized she'd left the baby monitor in her bag and she overheard Matthew and Maille discussing how mean and self-centered someone was. Who? Her? Why? What had she done now?

She stopped, listening, and was appalled.

She stepped into their view. "Maille.... why are you discussing my private life with Matthew?"

Maille did look a little abashed, but instantly held her chin up. "You know... you have been mean, thoughtless and insensitive to other people's needs, Melia. It isn't a big secret. Everything in this family has been about you for a long, long time!"

Her eyes widened. "All about me, huh? Really? I didn't realize you were that involved in my life! Obviously, you've become a woman in your own right, with your own interests and life. Things I am not even aware of!"

Matthew had the grace to look down, he did know more of what had happened to her. Why was he entertaining this crap about her being mean and selfish? He knew better!

She started back into the bedroom but Kell, who had been about to defend Maille took Melia by the arm and propelled her out to the back of the slow moving behemoth. The shade was a relief and she blustered to be so callously treated.

She turned to him, confused and angry beyond words, wondering how he suddenly had the gall to accost her. She was hurt that Matthew and Maille had been discussing her! She felt she needed--- no-- had the right! To defend herself! Transparency! That was what this family needed! Communication! Somebody had to be the first to step up!

But the words that came out-- meant to hurt Maille the way she'd hurt her-- were positively slutty! As soon as she heard them, she herself was appalled! Was it a sibling thing? Reflecting the hurt she was feeling at being left out of their lives? "Oh, Kell you always did want to just get me alone."

He was calling her names under his breath. She stared at him in shock.

"You have no idea about my family, Kell Stevak."

"I have a lot more idea about them than you do apparently, Melia. You've been secluded in your own little grieving world and you don't even know that your sisters are married."

Her neck bristled in angry confusion. Married? Married!! What was she going to say to that? How could she possibly react?

"Well, it's a Mann girl thing then, isn't it? Flying off with God knows who, to God knows where and getting married without anyone knowing? Runs in the family!" Melia covered her shock with blustering words.

No, she hadn't known. She hadn't been to a single ceremony, had they all just... what?

At least she had had small ceremonies.... She turned around in shock to go and find Megan, and Kell grabbed her arm. He threatened her. He actually told her that if she bothered Maille anymore he'd kick her off the boat.

"Because what? Maille is the only one who has a right to grieve? She's the only one who has ever experienced pain, or... or loss?" Melia stared into his dark eyes. He was still that pirate she'd been working with on set. He couldn't possibly be her future brother-in-law.

He turned and left her there, climbing to the next level and she heard him start to laugh with the others.

Melia felt an overwhelming urge to cry and hurried back to her room. She took Abby out of the sling and laid her carefully next to her sister on the bed.

"This isn't happening." She said out loud to herself. She felt a gulf of insecurity overwhelm her. "This. Isn't. Happening."

Why, oh, why had Ryan brought her out here? Why, oh, why, was he still her husband? Her life was so mixed up, and yes---! YES! "I don't know my own sisters anymore!"

"Can I come in?" Megan opened the door and came inside.

"Do you hate me too? I think everyone here hates me. I just want to go home." She said, knowing she was feeling sorry for herself and pouting.

Megan sat down next to Hannah on the other side of the bed, moving Ryan's bag aside. Melia had her back to her, staring out the one small window as various people on the boat jumped off and swam around laughing.

"You do seem a little at odds, Mia." Megan said.

"At odds?" she repeated slowly, feeling embarrassed, and like her heart was still beating too fast, and her thoughts were still caught up in Kell's threats, but now she had to show a calm exterior to her twin. "I feel left out and secluded. I'm the only one here with kids. My... husband is off gallivanting around, he doesn't help at all, and I feel attacked every time I step out of the room. This is lame. I want to go home."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro