Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER 43 || THE SECRETS OF SAMUEL BECKETT

"Eli Moore Ma'am" Eli introduced himself extending a hand toward Deanna, which she gratefully took, accepting his handshake. Eli smiled, the first sense of normalcy he'd felt in a long time rushing through his veins causing the corners of his lips to tilt up edging a smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Eli." Deanna smiled as the handshake broke, Eli nodded the hope he'd clung to since the beginning still not wavering as he sat opposite the woman prepared for his interview, prepared to give Alexandria a chance. He nodded as his eyes fell on the woman in front of him: "Likewise"

"So Eli, I heard you knew Alex before. Is that true?" Deanna asked hoping to get more information out of Eli than what she'd gotten from Alex. Hoping the muscular blonde before her could help fill in some of the blanks.

"yeah, we met in basic training. been best friends ever since. did a few tours together, Afgan and Iraq Ma'am" Eli revealed, Deanna's brows raising at the man's respect. Her mind taking notes of how even in the circumstances Eli remained respectful trying to make a good impression. 

"Deanna's fine Eli, No need for formalities." She smiled, and Eli nodded wiping his clammy hands against his trousers as she continued: "So you served together? were you intelligence too?"

"combat medic" Eli corrected shaking his head, Deanna's eyes widening at the realisation of Eli's valuable training, a small smile tugging at her lips as a soft chuckle escaped the woman: "Medically trained?.... Eli, We have jobs in this community, Everyone helps out in whatever way they can"

Eli nodded along to the woman's words, Intently taking each word into consideration as she continued: "I'd like you to join our team of doctors in the infirmary."

"Doctors? I'm not qualified. My training is basic life-saving aid, I'm nowhere near a doctor" Eli shook his head in shock. In his mind the idea of being labeled anything but a medic was unfathomable. yet Deanna shook her head reciprocating his actions.

"you've saved lives? Alex spoke highly of your skills" Eli sat dumbfounded at the woman's words as he tried to process what she was saying.

"I mean- yeah I have but my training only works with injuries to a certain extent" Eli reminded, His eye contact with Deanna strong as she shook her head listening to Eli as he added: "it wouldn't be right for me to be labelled as anything but a medic"

"Then label yourself as a medic in the infirmary. you seem like a wise man Eli. I want to have you helping out" Deanna offered Eli a soft smile as she tried persuading him into the job. yet in reality, did the blonde man have much choice? it was life or death after all. they'd almost been out there too long. 

"Where's Alex?" Sam questioned as he walked into Deanna's office. A sense of urgency lingered in his voice as he stared at Deanna waiting for her to answer his question. panic rushing through his Veins as he searched her eyes for any malicious intent. 

"She's safe. now why don't you take a seat and we can talk" Sam's eyes anxiously darted around the room as he searched for a second option, yet came up with nothing. His eyes met Deannas once again and he nodded before he walked over to the chair opposite hers and sat down, his body language squared off as if he wasn't able to focus on the interview. and he couldn't, he wanted to know if alex truly was safe. 

"talk about what?" Sam questioned his brows furrowed together as he stared at Deanna, his thoughts focused on one thing, Alex's safety. he was too eager to leave, and Deanna noticed. His body language was obvious, too obvious. which urged her to ask: "You care deeply about Alex"

"So? I just want to know she's safe" Sam countered as he stared at Deanna wishing the interview away so the unease filling his chest could dissipate. her eyes scrutinized Sam, scanning his body language. 

"she's with Glenn" Deanna said hoping to ease the man's nerves yet she noticed the way his face fell, how his body seized at the mention of Glenn which told Deanna all she needed to know Sam, all she needed to know about his relationship with Alex. 

"yeah i'd hope so" Sam cleared his throat forcing his persona to lighten despite his clenching Jaw. Deanna's brows furrowed as she chose to steer clear of the obvious sensitive topic to Sam and changed the topic: "So when did you join Rick's Group?"

"I can't believe this place is real" Sam spoke still unsure as he sat beside Alex on the porch of one of the houses the group had been given. the two friends exchanging words on the peculiar situation. Alex nodded her eyes glued to the street in front of them. Normalcy, it was too normal. 

"you remember at the prison... everyone got too used to normal. Rick didn't even carry a gun. I was sneaking out to train you. I tried to be ready for when the governor came back. but we weren't. We can't let that happen again. we have to be ready. this might seem like all sunflowers and roses or whatever but what if that changes.' Alex Explained her heart aching with fear. she was terrified. and the one of the only people she'd told her biggest fear to was sat beside her. 

Sam's heart clenched as he listened, the memories of their training sessions playing in his head, all the times she'd knocked him on his arse. and how hard he tried to impress her. he had wanted to make her proud, and he still did. 

"that won't happen again. we're ready for anything now. I don't think this group has ever been stronger." Sam nodded his dark brown eyes meeting Alex's as a weak smile tugged at his lips. they were supposed to be happy. Alexandria had given them a chance. Yet alex could only reminisce. 

"We survived for months on the road Lex. Months. half of these people haven't even seen the outside world" Sam sighed running a hand through his freshly washed hair which came as a luxury, Alex nodded along to his words Her icy blue eyes laced with worry: "That's what I'm Afraid of" 

"Lex we're gonna be fine. Everyone's gonna be fine" Sam reassured forcing a smile onto his face as his hand patted the dark-haired girl's knee reassuringly. before he added: "We have houses, Walls. I've never seen Eli so happy" 

Alex chuckled at the mention of the man who'd become her brother, a smile tugging at her lips as she spoke again: "I know, I know. Carl and Josh are out making friends, and Rick allowed it. so I'm guessing he has faith. I'm pretty sure Glenn's hopeful too"

"Everyone knows what's at risk here. I'm- no one's gonna let anything happen to you or anyone else. we have each other. that's all we need" Sam offered Alex a soft smile hoping his could ease her anxieties at least enough for her to see the beauty of Alexandria. 

"I know" Alex glanced over at Sam an almost instantaneous smile growing on her face which only caused his lopsided smile to grow as he caught her eye contact. he took a breath as a warmth spread over his cheeks before Alex stood up, her eyes focused on something behind Sam making his smile fall as soon as he realised who was approaching the house. 

"Lex, have you seen Josh? I thought he was with Carl" Glenn questioned as he approached the pair. Sam got to his feet upon noticing the worried expression etched onto Glenn's face. 

"He is with Carl, They were meeting the other kids. Ron and a few girls" Alex answered her brows knitting together as Glenn clenched his teeth, the muscle along his jaw tightening at his wife's words as he ran a hand through his dark hair. 

"Carl's with Rick. He hasn't seen Josh since they left Ron's" Alex's heart dropped as she processed Glenn's words. A sudden rush of panic igniting the blood in her veins making her skin burn with worry. Her wide eyes darting to Sam as their previous conversation was forgotten in seconds. 

"I'll find Abraham get people searching" Sam offered his eyes falling from Alex's as he nodded at Glenn reassuringly as Glenn took a breath: "thank you"

"No worries man, we'll find him" Sam nodded patting Glenn's shoulder before rushing off Jogging down the block in search of the rest of their group. Alex's heart racing as she looked up at Glenn in disbelief before walking in the opposite direction to Sam. 

"Eli might have seen him" She suggested taking a deep breath, Glenn nodded following his wife. His hand reassuringly fell to the small of her back as he followed her to where he'd last seen Eli. The couple's hearts racing with the fear of losing Family. Alex's mind consumed with the memories of the prison fall, and what it felt like to be alone. 

As the couple reached Rick's house Alex's eyes instantly fell on the group of people outside; Eli, Maggie, Abraham, Sam, and the rest of the group. Worried expressions drowned out their features making Alex's heart drop to her stomach. Nausea spiralling through her stomach in such a violent manner she had to swallow the lump rising in her throat. 

"Where the fuck is Josh?"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro