14 | Departure

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Three weeks ago

Once they reached the shop, Kain tore his eyes off of Melitta and stepped ahead. His hand caught the cloth door and pulled it to the side, earning him a warm smile as she stepped through the wall of heat. His heart skipped a beat, but he forced himself to focus on the issue at hand.

The front room was empty, reminding him of his visit with Melas. Did Aretha not get much work? Dismissing the thought, Kain walked further in before calling out her name. Melitta stepped away, seeming to get distracted by the weapons on display. He might have joined her, but a curse followed by heavy steps drew his attention to the back door. Aretha appeared a second later.

"Ah. I was wondering when you would come. Just a moment."

She disappeared into the back again, before returning with a familiar sheath in her hands. Kain took it without hesitation, surprise stealing his tongue. Etched into the hilt was the intricate design of a diamond filled with swirling lines and encircled by twin serpents.

"You saved it."

His gaze remained on the blade as she spoke, but Kain could hear warmth in her gruff voice. "It seemed a shame to waste such artistry."

Kain nodded, a weight loosening from his chest. He may have ruined the blade his grandfather gifted him, but the hilt was still there. It was the most important part. That crest was the only claim he had to his name. Without it, Kain was just another wandering sailor in the average human's eyes. It was doubtful even his own mother would recognize him.

It felt as if she'd tossed him a lifeline in turbulent waters. Not only had he avoided discarding a gift from one of his only living family members, but he'd preserved a birthright. One he could never claim, but important nevertheless.

"Well, go on. I didn't slave over a furnace for you to stare at someone else's work," Aretha reminded him. "And be careful not to cut yourself."

Melitta joined them in the center of the room as Kain drew off the sheath. Confusion and wonder washed through him in equal parts. He wasn't sure what he'd been expecting of a blade made from "venom ore," but it certainly wasn't deep, midnight blue metal. A slow shudder crept down his spine as the realization of what this was sparked deep in his memories. It was something Artemios had mentioned in passing, given it was so rare that it was unlikely someone like Kain, presumably sea-locked for the rest of his life, would ever see it.

The creation of venom ore was a special art passed down from blacksmith to blacksmith. It was always in danger of disappearing, because those who created it were selective in their apprentices, despite their own shortened lives. It was said that ore created stole years. Which was expected, given they used nightmare poison. He'd heard stories that the art was only taught to he already dying--no one was willing to condemn a healthy person to a life of pain.

The reason Aretha told him to be careful was because one cut of the blade held the potential to poison even the healthiest person.

A stab was always lethal--even for demons.

They might not die right away--it could take years to die from a small dose of poison if they survived the wound. But, eventually, they would succumb even on the most holy of Kikin's lands.

Kain had no words. His hand clenched the hilt to the point of pain.

"When I saw that sword, I knew what you needed."

It was a priceless treasure, and the heaviest burden.

"I won't take payment, so don't even try."

Melitta laid a hand on his arm, and Kain drew in a deep breath. It calmed the bubbling worry enough that his mind found logic through his fear. It wasn't as if Kain typically drew his sword in negotiable situations. He never aimed to wound someone without the risk of death already being posed--that was just who he was.

All this meant was that when they crossed into Kikin's territory, the chance of his own death had been halved. If luck wasn't on his side, and the contract on his life reached the ears of the Votanna in Reotak, he wouldn't be helpless. Nor would he be in the miniscule chance that someone recognized Kain by his blood and curse, like Melitta and the others had done in Inna's Cove.

"Thank you."

Aretha huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Took you long enough. For a second there, I thought you would reject it."

Kain resheathed the sword--not wanting to risk injury--and took a moment to affix it to his belt. It felt heavier on his hip. Melitta's hand fell away from his arm as he worked, but she stayed close. She was a comforting warmth among the uneasy emotion twisting through him.

"I would never," Kain said, shaking his head. "I know how precious a gift this is. It far outweighs what I did here."

Pride brightened the smile Aretha offered him. It seemed to take years off of her weathered face. "Of course. You should expect nothing less than a masterpiece when you come to a master blacksmith."

Curiosity sparked as her words sunk in. Master blacksmith? Was that the truth? If so, what was she doing in this cross-roads of a town. He was reminded of Isidor, a third generation witch with the power to pin a wyvern.

What were any of them doing in this no name village?

As possibilities ran through his mind, Aretha raised a hand to scratch at her cheek. Uncertainty stole her smile as she scrutinized him.

"I had a thought as I made this. Where are you going after this, kid?"

Kain hesitated. He had the vaguest idea of why she was asking. But, without outright confirming her thoughts, he couldn't deny her assumptions. The moment he said they were traveling for Cieon, then Reotak, even if he gave the truth, she would no doubt make her own conclusions based on the hilt of his blade. That heavy, dark part of Kain held his tongue. It would be irresponsible to let her think he was playing a bigger part in the world than he truly did.

But, the truth always felt so bitter on his tongue.

"We were following a group of kidnappers, before being interrupted by the wyvern," Melitta explained. "The plan is to find a way around the pass in order to continue tracking them. We'll go to the Capital from here."

He felt the urge to press his palm to his forehead. Gods, it really was that easy, sidestepping this conversation. Why did his mind always jump to panic when his birthright came into play?

Aretha hummed, settling her hands backwards on the smithy's countertop. Once again, she seemed to study him, but this time Melitta was included in her scrutiny. Whatever she saw seemed to please the woman, however, because she tilted her head down, studying the flooring as her expression twisted into something indiscernible.

"I was thinking about Melas and I should take a vacation after this. Perhaps we'll run into you again," she said, running a hand through her blonde locks. "Seek me out if Melas sees you before I do. I'll have something special for the rest of your party."

Guilt struck his chest. "You needn't--"

The blacksmith glanced up, steel in her gaze. "Don't worry about me, boy. I have a feeling you've bigger things to concern yourself with. If I plan on creating something, then I'll do it. With or without your permission."

Feeling as if he'd hit a sore point on Aretha's part, Kain offered a sheepish nod of acceptance. It still weighed heavy on his heart, the idea that Aretha would likely further shorten her life by creating "something special" for the rest of them, but she was right. He had no right to argue with how she chose to spend her years.

It didn't mean he couldn't talk to Melas about it. He would have to seek out the knight before they left.

"Thank you," he said again. "I have a feeling this gift will save lives in the future."

"Get out of here. If you want to get anywhere while the sun is still high, you need to leave soon."

┈♔◦𓇣◦☽◦❤◦☾◦𓇣◦♔┈

Upon their return to the inn, Callias, Natia, and Rhode were waiting outside. The first was holding the reins for three chestnut horses, with Natia holding onto the forth, final horse. At Kain's stare, he offered a shrug.

"Melas insisted."

And had apparently followed up by taking off on a job for the town guard, leaving no one for Kain to argue with. Callias offered him a leather rein. Kain hesitated, then reluctantly accepted it.

"He also said there was a pack horse waiting for us at the general store. He didn't have enough time to collect them himself, as he apparently hired a local boy to buy and secure extra supplies," Callias explained.

Suspicion at Melas' identity once again flickered through him. The amount of things that he had gifted to their group far outweighed what the average commoner, or even fallen noble, could afford to give away. At least, that was his best guess. He had no idea how much a good horse cost, let alone five, but he doubted he had enough on hand to afford even half of them.

How much of his previous wealth had Melas' retained? How wealthy had his family been to begin with? How high were their titles? Questions swirled through Kain's mind as the horse snorted, and pulled away. Kain eyed it wearily.

Horses were regular animals, right? It wouldn't be scared of him, would it?

It occurred to him, then, he had no idea how to ride a horse.

Before he could voice his issue, the front-door to Isidor's shop swung open. The witch had a traveling bag tossed over his shoulder, and a physician's bag held in his other hand. As Kain watched, Isidor dropped the bag to lock the shopfront, then turned to face them with an annoyed edge to his faded-gray eyes.

"What are you all still standing around, for? We're leaving soon, yes?"

"I--what?" Kain asked, baffled.

Isidor groaned, covering his face with his free hand. "Gods. Please, please don't tell me that the gods are only talking to me, because if they are, I am going to offer them a few choice words next time they--" he cut off with a vague wave of his hand, as if they were supposed to understand whatever that encompassed.

Kain stared at the others, hoping one of them had any clue about the situation. Callias had turned away from the witch in favor of squatting down before Natia and discussing something in quiet, indiscernible words. The wolf tilted her head, before nodding and offering the reins she held back to the merman. He shook his head in turn, and gestured towards Rhode.

Rhode, too, had dismissed the situation. Apparently having picked up on whatever Callias had intended, she stepped forward and accepted the horse from Natia. She then murmured something to Natia, who nodded, before Rhode mounted the chestnut. The wolf scrambled up after her, with a bit of help from Callias, and settled comfortably in front of the siren.

Melitta met Kain's gaze with a shrug of her shoulders. "He will be useful. Perhaps that is what the gods had in mind."

"No doubt," Isidor complained. "The second I was alone, Inna and Koun showed up again. Asked me to accompany you on this journey. Have you ever been asked to do something by a god? They make it sound like you have a choice, but you don't. They're a god for fucks' sake."

Which meant there was little chance Kain could convince Isidor to stay behind. Not that he was sure he should. The road ahead of them would be dangerous, and Isidor accompanying them held a strong chance of rescuing a life down the line. At the same time, doubt lingered in Kain's chest, drawing it tight.

"What of your parents?" Kain asked.

He hadn't seen anyone in the days since they'd arrived, but Isidor had said the shop ran in his family. Kain had assumed that meant they had either passed, or were on a trip. If it was the latter, what would they do when they returned and their child was missing?

Isidor scoffed. "I'm seventeen, dumbass. I make my own choices."

It wasn't a full answer, but he doubted the witch would give him anything better.

His attention turned back to the original problem of the horses. Callias had the right idea when he asked Natia to ride with Rhode. Altogether, there were six of them, and five horses if the pack horse was included. Ideally, two others would ride together. He tugged on his bangs as he thought, eyeing the rest of their group. Callias and Melitta could share, but that would leave Kain alone. Given that he had never ridden a horse before, the ideal result would be him riding with someone who knew their way around the animals.

He would have asked if Callias and Melitta were in the same situation, but the way Callias handled the reins, and how Melitta had stepped over to greet one of the two remaining horses told him he didn't need to worry.

"I'll be riding on my own," Isidor declared. "Healer's privilege."

Was there such a thing?

Apparently deciding he'd said enough, he stepped over to Callias, putting out his hand for the extra reins he held. The merman glanced back at their group, before slowly offering the horse. Their group stood in silence for a moment as Kain's embarrassment slowly boiled to a tipping point. How did he explain that the siblings riding together wasn't the best option here? That if something happened, his riding solo, if it was even possible, would become a liability.

Melitta's gaze met Kain's once again. Knowing flickered across her smile, and she looked to Callias. "I'll ride with Kain."

Her brother stiffened, before turning to face them. As per usual, there was very little to read on the merman's face, except the faintest purse of his lips. He didn't approve?

"It's fi--" Kain began.

"Isidor needs to be able to get away if we are attacked," Melitta explained. "He is right to claim his own horse. A witch doctor's magic is not meant for active combat. He needs distance, and time if he is to help at all, which is not ideal to begin with. It is better if he saves his magic for healing. That means one of us has to ride with Kain. For obvious reasons, I doubt he has ever learned to ride."

His face heated. As if the horse could tell what their conversation was about, it tugged back on the reins once again and snorted, hoofs stamping at the earth. Uncertain of what to do, he tightened his hold on the reins, which earned him a disapproving side-eye and hoof stamping from the horse. Despite knowing it unlikely, he got the distinct impression the horse was judging him.

"He can ride with me," Callias suggested.

Melitta bit her lip, as if debating her answer, before sighing. "Calli."

Callias stiffened. Kain glanced between them, uncertain of what he was missing.

"You know that will not work," Melitta continued.

"I would be f--"

"You know that is not true. Look me in the eyes and tell me you would be able to sit that close to someone for more than a minute, let alone hours."

Callias hesitated, then looked away. Melitta's answering smile was sad. She may have won the discussion, but Kain had the feeling she wished she hadn't.

"Let us get going. We still need to collect the pack horse," Melitta said.

She stepped over to Kain, and held out her hand. Amusement curled her lips as he gratefully passed over the reins. A moment passed in silence, before Melitta laughed, and verbally walked him through the steps of mounting the horse. Grateful he hadn't had to ask, Kain fumbled through the instructions, and was soon sitting on the horse. Fear chilled his embarrassment as he realized just how tall a horse really was.

People got hurt falling from a horse, didn't they? He reflexively tightened his legs, and the horse stepped back, tossing its head in protest. Kain froze.

"Loosen up," Melitta told him. "Sitting like that is uncomfortable for both of you."

It was easier said than done, but he did his best to relax. The horse continued to eye him with contempt, but stayed still this time. Melitta gave it a soothing stroke, before mounting. She settled in front of Kain, leaving him with a realization of what exactly this position would mean for them.

"Uh, where should I..." Kain trailed off uncertainly.

There was distinct amusement in her voice as Melitta released the reins for a moment, and offered her hands backwards. "Here."

Heat burned his face from the neck up as he rested his palms in hers. She moved their arms around her, settling his hands against the soft fabric above her stomach. His head spun.

"I--thank you."

Melitta laughed.

"Hold on tight. To me, not the horse. We wouldn't want you to fall."

If it was possible to combust from embarrassment, Kain would be in flames.

Still, as Melitta released his hands and picked up the reins, Kain steadied his grip around her middle. He couldn't help how his mind marveled over all the places they were touching, and how comfortable it felt, despite his fear of their mount. Her stomach was firm, but her body somehow soft. He couldn't completely rest himself against her--afraid of upsetting her newly healed wounds, but where they did meet burned with pleasant heat.

She smelled like the sea.

"I'll teach you how to ride later," Callias said, startling Kain into the present.

"I--yes, that would be a good idea," he replied.

Callias stared at them for a moment, before signing and nudging his mount forward.

Melitta was laughing again as they departed. 

A/N: Bonus chapter!! I realized I'm still pretty far behind where I would have been if I didn't take a break. So, since I finished this today, you get a bonus chapter. :) 

Hope you enjoyed. 

P.S. Any thoughts on the sword? 

What about their riding arrangements? ;D

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro