2 | special quill

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I hope there's pudding," Ron announced as they made their way to the Great Hall.

"What's a Nargle?" Harry asked Abigail once Luna was out of earshot. They had just gotten off the carriage that dropped them off at the castle and they had shared a ride with Luna Lovegood.

"I have absolutely no idea," she answered honestly as they took their seats. "Luna has always been an interesting one."

"Crazy is more like it," Hermione laughed.

"I like her," Abigail shrugged, "She's harmless."

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore spoke from the podium at the front, pulling the students from their conversations. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher...Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck," he added as usual, "Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

"Hem, hem," the women dressed in pink spoke from the table of teachers and stood up. The other professors looked on in surprise.

"She was at my hearing," Harry observed, "She works for Fudge."

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me," she spoke from the podium, "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

"That's likely," Fred and George commented in unison.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance," she went on, "Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved...perfect what can be perfected...and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge," Dumbledore said as he retook his position.

"That really was most illuminating," Hermione spoke up.

"Illuminating?" Ron scoffed, "What a load of waffle."

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged?" Abigail repeated, clearly coming to the same conclusion as Hermione.

"What's it mean?" Harry asked.

Hermione frowned, "It means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts."

"I'm ready to call it quits and it's only been one lesson," Ron groaned as they made their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts. "And we already know this one will be rubbish."

"Good morning, children," Umbridge greeted and there was an abundance of greetings back.

"I expect to be greeted at once. All together now, 'Goodmorning, Professor Umbridge.'"

"Goodmorning, Professor Umbridge," the class chorused.

"Much better," she turned to the board, "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs." She turned to face the class, "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven."

"But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic," Umbridge explained and Hermione raised her hand, "Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

"Using spells?" Umbridge all but gasped and Abigail raised an eyebrow at her mannerisms, "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" Dean inquired.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," she said as she smiled poorly, "But you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this classroom-very responsible indeed - not to mention extremely dangerous half breeds."

It didn't take a genius to know that she had been referring to Abigail's father. The girl, having no interest and listening to the women talk poorly about the man who raised her, stood up, "Take your irrelevant views on half breeds and shove it up your a-"

"Enough!" Umbridge exclaimed. Her face had begun to turn red from anger. "Detention." She walked over to her desk and scribbled something on to a piece of paper and handed it back to her, "Take this to Professor McGonagall."

Abigail snatched the paper from the women with a scowl on her face. She made her way to leave as the Professor addressed the class, "I don't know who raised her but-"

"It was one of the extremely dangerous half-breeds you despise so much," Abigail all but growled in response.

"Out!"

Abigail was still reeling from the previous events as she stormed out of the room, ignoring the looks she was receiving from students throughout the classroom.

"I will have order in the classroom," Umbridge stated calmly, adjusting her shirt as she continued, "As I was saying..."

-

"That. Was. Awesome!" Ron exclaimed once he saw Abigail enter the common room. "I didn't think you had it in you! Harry, definitely. But you..."

"McGonagall was surprised as well," Abigail sighed as she flopped down on the couch, "Can't wait till my dad finds out."

"We heard what you did," Fred spoke up as soon as they saw her.

"Awesome!" George exclaimed. "We didn't-"

"Know I had it in me?" she finished, "I've heard it all before. I'm just hoping it's still worth it after my three weeks of detention."

"Three weeks?" Harry inquired. "I'm only in for one."

"Well you didn't tell her to shove anything up her ass," Abigail pointed out before she sat up quickly. "You didn't, did you?"

"No, he didn't," Hermione answered for him, "That was a stupid thing of you to do. I don't think getting detention the first day is considered a low stress activity."

"I think we all knew even after I said it that this year would in no way be stress free," Abigail pointed out. "And right now, I am getting a headache. Not because of stress but because of all of your nagging." She stood up from the couch and the group moved out of her way, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have my first detention to get to."

She exited the common room, ignoring the stares she got as she made her way to Umbridge's office.

"Good evening," Umbridge greeted and gestured for the girl to enter, "Sit. You're going to be doing some lines for me today, Ms. Lupin," she explained and Abigail reached into her bag, "No, not with your quill." She grabbed a quill off her desk and handed it to the girl, "You'll be using a rather special one of mine." Abigail took the quill cautiously, "Now...I want you to write, 'I will not disrespect my teacher's.'"

"How many times?" Abigail asked.

"Well, let's say for as long as it takes for the message to sink in."

Abigail turned toward the desk so she was sitting straight but frowned, "I don't have any ink."

"Oh, you won't need any ink," she stated and Abigail looked down at the paper in confusion but wrote anyway. 'I will not disrespect my teacher's,' she wrote and a shiny red ink appeared on the page. She felt a sharp pain on her hand and hissed quietly to herself. She glanced down at it and saw that the words she wrote were engraved on her hand, "Yes?"

"Nothing," Abigail replied, not sparing the foul women a glance.

"That's right," she smiled knowingly. "Because you know, deep down...you deserve to be punished," she pointed out, "Don't you, Ms. Lupin?"

Abigail continued to write for hours. The back of her hand became an even deeper irritated red as day turned into night.

"That's all for today, I suppose," Umbridge concluded and Abigail placed the quill down. "Let's see if we've made a lasting impression," she stated as she looked down at Abigail's hand which now a bright pink and tutted, "Maybe tomorrow will do you better. Same time."

Abigail stood up from the desk and gathered her things before making a quick exit out of the office before Umbridge could change her mind. She rubbed the back of her hand as she made her way to the portrait.

"Abigail Lupin," Snape spoke from behind her, "What exactly is it that you're doing out of your common room so late?"

"I just finished up detention with Umbridge," she explained quickly, "Just ask her, she'll tell you." Or at least Abigail hoped she would.

"I believe you," Snape said simply, his eyes narrowed, "It would appear you are like your father and his friends."

"If it's alright with you," Abigail began curtly, "I would like to get back to my room so I can get to work on my homework for the week."

"That you should."

Abigail walked away from Snape and entered the portrait after saying the password. She entered quietly and made her way to a table in the corner. She had quite a bit of homework to get through and if she didn't start now, she was sure she never would.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro