[003] never that simple

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER THREE
NEVER THAT SIMPLE

THEO CAN FEEL EYES ON HIM as he leads the small group to the back of his home, directing them to the computer that they have in the office. It hardly ever gets used, the thing is constantly collecting dust and Theo cannot even be a hundred percent sure it even works anymore. However, it's the best option for whatever they want to look up because his dad is unlikely to check it's history.

Theo walks around the desk, switches the computer on and watches as it slowly but surely starts itself up. The silence that has settled over them is quite uncomfortable, he doesn't really know what to say to any of them — he hardly knows them at all. Up until yesterday, Theo had never even had a conversation with JJ and his meetings with the rest have been pretty sparse. Kiara is the only one of the four he's had more than a five minute conversation with.

The boy types in the password, gesturing for JJ to come over to him as it finally loads. "Here. I don't really want to know what you're getting into so just, just make sure you close all the tabs when you're finished,"

JJ grins at him, giving a thumbs up in his direction. The group huddle around the computer as Theo leaves the room, almost pretending like they aren't here at all so his curiosity doesn't get the better of him. All he hopes is that this doesn't end in him being arrested for aiding in some sort of crime, that's the last thing he needs.

Theo makes his way to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of water, adding some of the ice cubes from the freezer to keep it cold. He doesn't want to leave them entirely, a little worried as to what his father or Emmy will say if they come home and find a bunch of random teenagers in their house — his dad is a pretty understanding person, but that might push him over the edge. Considering the fact Theo only ever invites Maisie around, he probably wouldn't believe a story of him 'making new friends'.

"Hey,"

Theo curses as his water spills over the counter, looking up at JJ with a slight scowl. There's amusement twinkling in his eyes, more than likely knowing that his sudden appearance would have that type of effect. That's twice now he's been caught of guard by him, only this time he shouldn't have (considering he knew he was here and everything).

The brunette grabs a cloth off the side and cleans the liquid up, ignoring JJ who sits on the stool at the counter. He wants to question him, ask him why he's out here and not in the room with the other three but he decides against it. The blonde doesn't seem as if he's going away anytime soon, chin resting on his hand as he watches what's happening in front of him.

"Did you need something JJ?" Theo questions, filling his glass back up so that he can actually drink some this time.

"Not really. You don't want me around?" JJ ponders aloud, eyes tracing Theo's movements as if he's trying to figure him out.

"I never said that. I just wanted to know if you needed something, it's literally what I asked. You want a drink?"

JJ nods his head, the teenagers staying in silence as Theo grabs the other boy his own glass of water. There's quiet chatter coming from the back of the home, the trio obviously in deep discussion about whatever is on the computer. Sliding the cup over to him, JJ gives him a smile of thanks in response.

Theo takes a moment, whilst JJ is preoccupied with the glass in his hand, to sneak a few subtle glances his way. He's not afraid to admit he finds him attractive, he probably wouldn't tell him that to his face though. Even under the guise of Theo's relatively shady kitchen, JJ's eyes sparkle as if the sun is shining from within them. They're a shimmery blue, like the waves outside his bedroom window, they're gorgeous even.

"Uh do I have something on my face?" JJ is looking at him now, eyebrows raised in question. Theo wants to hit himself over the head as he shakes his head. "Then why are you staring at me like I just robbed you or something?"

"I'm trying to figure out what the four of you so desperately needed a computer for," Theo lies through his teeth, leaning back against one of the counters.

"Thought you weren't interested,"

"Everybody is a little curious sometimes, JJ. I assume it's pretty important if all of you came here to give me my phone,"

The blonde boy shrugs his shoulder casually, an almost dopey smile on his face. Theo knows he isn't going to get any answers, he doesn't really want them all that much, and it also isn't really any of his business.

Theo perks up at the sound of a car pulling into the driveway, eyes wide as he spots his father's fancy vehicle. JJ must catch on because he turns his head, following the other boy's gaze and seeing the same thing he is.

"I don't know what you guys are looking for but if it's borderline illegal and you don't want to get caught, you might want to go now," Theo speaks quietly, his words coming out quickly as he gently grabs JJ by the wrist and pulls him back down the hallway.

The front door opens up just as Theo pushes the blonde boy out of sight, Eric hanging his jacket up by the door as his son approaches. "Hey dad," Theo greets with a smile.

Eric smiles in response, gently patting his son on the shoulder. "Hey kid. You have a good day?"

"Mm. I've just been doing some reading and stuff for school,"

"You're on break, Theo. You shouldn't be overworking yourself so much,"

Theo smiles sheepishly, knowing that his scolding comes from a good place. Eric is an extremely hard worker, he has had to be in order for them to keep their current social standing, but he hates the way his child seems to throw himself into work at such a young age. It's got to be ambitious, but Theo has always had trouble balancing that out with a social life.

A light crashing noise from outside catches the man's attention, completely diverting Eric's attention away from his son. "I wonder what that was,"

Theo is quick with his response. "Probably that cat that's been hanging around the last couple of weeks. He knocked our bin over the other day,"

Eric's eyes glance at Theo, who is trying his absolute hardest to appear genuine, before nodding his head. The man heads up the stairs, leaving the teenager to move to the study in hopes that he'll find it empty — he does. The computer is still on though, they must not have had enough time to close the browser before leaving.

A slight breeze blows in through the now open window, ruffling up some of the papers that are situated on the desk. The boy fixes them up and then quietly closes the window. He then turns his attention to the computer.

Theo wants to say he can respect their privacy, but he simply can't at this moment. He reads over it quickly, a map on the screen with coordinates typed into the search bar. A frown appears on his face as he clicks on it only to find the location out in the ocean somewhere. They're looking for something.

"Theo! Emmy is going to meet us at The Wreck for dinner!" Eric calls out, obviously changed out of his work clothes and ready to go out for the night. "Come on!"

Theo closes the browser and switches the computer off, slipping out of the room without his father seeing him, leaving the events of earlier behind.

"I'm not saying that Sharks are an irrational fear, Em, I'm saying that there is a higher chance of dying by being struck on the head with a falling coconut," Theo explains as he cuts up some more of his dinner. "In fact, on average, we actually kill more of them every year,"

"A coconut isn't going to bite my arm off if I get too close, now is it?" Emmy responds, sipping at her cola as Eric rolls his eyes.

"No but your odds of getting bitten by a shark is literally something like one in three million,"

"Somebody has to be that one, how do you know it won't be me?"

Theo can't technically argue with the logic but he really wants to. Emmy looks almost content with the fact that she has seemingly won the argument, but her demeanor slumps when the boy's eyes seem to light up.

"Emmy, when was the last time you actually went into the water?" Theo asks, popping a fry into his mouth and watching her. It's his turn to be a little chuffed at the fact she has no answer, he knows it's been a long time. "They can't exactly attack you when you're on land,"

"I've seen Sharknado Theo," Emmy replies.

"Then you'll know that the likelihood of that is practically zero. If you're going watch a shark movie at least make it a good one, you know like Jaws or Shark Tale,"

Eric laughs at that, his son grinning happily as Emmy throws a chip in his direction. Theo had been absolutely obsessed with Shark Tale when he was younger, he could probably recite the movie word for word now. Every now and again he'll come home late from work and find the boy asleep on the couch with the movie playing in the background — it's a comforting presence for him on days where he isn't feeling too great.

"Theo?"

All three of the people sitting at the table turn to look at Kiara who is holding a tray with two drinks, one for Theo and the other for Eric, with a welcoming smile on her face. Theo already knows what this is about, the events of the afternoon still fresh in his mind as she settles their drinks down on the table.

"Hey Kiara," Theo greets, looking at her with a questioning gaze that neither of the adults at the table seem to pick up on.

"It's lovely to see you again, Kiara. How have you been?" Eric asks.

"I've been great, Mr S. I was just hoping I'd be able to borrow Theo for a second? I just have to get him to look at some history assignment I have to do over break, he's always the best person to come to for that,"

"Of course. Go Theo, we'll wait here for you,"

Theo nods and pushes up out of the chair, following Kiara out of the restaurant and to the large van that had been parked near his home earlier this afternoon. Thankfully for them, Eric must not have noticed it because Theo had instructed them to park it a little down the road in case somebody did come home whilst they were there.

"You guys aren't going to kill me or something, are you? This is incredibly shady behavior," Theo points out as the door opens up and a hand wraps around his wrist, gently tugging him inside. JJ pulls him into the seat beside him, Theo feeling a little uncomfortable as four pairs of eyes stare him down. "My food is going to get cold and I'm really hungry, so...."

None of them seem to be in a hurry to speak, either that or they don't know how to approach the situation. Theo almost feels sorry for them, the way they hesitate to come up with the right thing to say.

"Uh look, if this is about this afternoon, I'm not going to snitch on you or anything," Theo states awkwardly, playing with his fingers.

"How much of it did you see?"

Theo moves his gaze to John B who is sitting in the driver's seat, his head turned so that he can address Theo directly. He appears nervous, more so than the rest of them.

"Just some coordinates, I mean you did leave it open. It's not like I could close it without looking," Theo responds, even though he probably could have in reality. "I didn't take a photo of them or anything, I can just go on pretending I never saw them in the first place,"

"It's not that we don't trust you," Kiara assures, Theo's eyebrows raising up in surprise. "It's just it's important to us, John B especially, we don't want it to get into the hands of the wrong people,"

"Like who?" Theo asks curiously.

"Lots of people," JJ pipes up from beside him.

"Well I'm not going to tell anybody, so can I go now or did you have something else to speak with me about?"

JJ shakes his head and Theo takes that as his cue, climbing out of the van and waving goodbye to the four of them awkwardly. He heads back into the restaurant to find Eric and Emmy laughing softly amongst themselves.

He takes his seat again, tucking into his now cold fries and listening in on the conversation happening across the table. Theo cannot say his mind doesn't travel back to what he'd seen on the computer screen that afternoon, the numbers practically ingrained in his mind even though he'd told them otherwise. However, he knows that this isn't his business, so he'll simply keep the information locked up tight.

As if he'd never seen it in the first place.

made by fireandbloods

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro