21. Gabe and Joe beat up Neo-Nazis at Fall Out Bros. Pizza.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

21. Gabe and Joe beat up Neo-Nazis at Fall Out Bros. Pizza.

"Pete, if any Neo-Nazis show up at Fall Out Bros., I will beat them up," Gabe said over the phone. "There's nothing that you or anyone else can do to stop me."

"So I'm going to have to find a way to keep them from coming to Fall Out Bros. in the first place," I said.

"Exactly," Gabe said. "Maybe you could put up signs in front of the shop or something."

"That's a pretty good idea," I said. "I'll ask Billie Joe about it."

"Please do," Gabe said. "I'm far too young to die, but I want revenge too, and I will teach those Nazis a lesson if they ever mess with my best friend again."

I smiled, glad that Gabe was looking out for me, even after our argument at Vegan Square. My cuts and bruises from when the Neo-Nazis had beaten me up at the Sunshine Riptide had faded, but it still hurt to think about that night. Sometimes, I wondered if the pain would ever go away.

The next day, I went to talk to Billie Joe immediately when I arrived at Fall Out Bros. "Hey Pete," Billie said when he saw me rushing over to him. "What's going on?"

"I was wondering if we could put up some signs to keep Neo-Nazis out of the restaurant," I said.

Billie Joe gave me a strange look. "Y'know, I hate Neo-Nazis as much as anyone else, but we have never had any of them come to Fall Out Bros.," he said. "Putting up signs would just be unnecessary."

"It's only a precaution," I said.

"Is there any particular reason why you want to keep Neo-Nazis out of Fall Out Bros., Pete?" Billie Joe asked.

I thought about for a moment - I couldn't tell Billie Joe about Gabe's visions. It had gone horribly wrong when I had tried to tell Patrick, so there was no way that I could tell my boss. However, I could tell Billie a different secret. "A group of Neo-Nazis beat me up outside the Sunshine Riptide a little over a week ago," I said.

"So that's where you got that black eye," Billie said solemnly. Then, he did the last thing that I expected him to do - he gave me a hug. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep them out of here, Pete," Billie said. "I'll make signs, or whatever you want. I think I have 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off' by Dead Kennedys around here somewhere - I'll play that on repeat if it will keep those Illinois Nazis from coming to my restaurant."

I spent most of the remainder of my shift helping Billie Joe make signs to put in front of Fall Out Bros. Billie drew a swastika with a giant red X through it, while I made a sign that said "Neo-Nazis Not Welcome Here." By far, my favorite sign was one that said, "No Racism, No Sexism, No Homophobia." As promised, he played Dead Kennedys on repeat, and I got through the whole shift without seeing a single Neo-Nazi, thanks to my supportive boss.

Three days went by, and it seemed like my plan was working. The Neo-Nazis were staying away from Fall Out Bros. Pizza. Despite the fact that I had been at the restaurant every single day since Billie Joe and I had put up the signs, I hadn't seen any Nazis. However, at the end of my shift that day, just as I was about to leave with a slice of deep dish pizza, I saw Patrick sitting by himself. I took a seat across from him and smiled. "Hey, Trick," I said. "What's up?"

"Not much," Patrick said. "I've missed you."

A kick drum was beating in my chest again. "I've missed you too," I said. "I'm sorry about what happened on Sunday."

"It's okay," Patrick said. "Why does your boss keep playing the same song over and over again? It's really starting to bother some of our customers."

"Gabe had a vision that he and Joe Trohman would beat up Neo-Nazis here," I said. "Billie and I are trying to keep Neo-Nazis from coming to Fall Out Bros. in the first place so that doesn't happen."

Patrick rolled his eyes and said, "You're messing with me again, aren't you?"

"I'm not," I insisted.

"Gabe and Joe aren't going to beat up Neo-Nazis, because psychics aren't real," Patrick said.

"I hope you're right, Trick," I said, but I wasn't sure that he was. We hadn't prevented any of Gabe's previous visions from happening, but it had been three days - maybe we would finally be successful this time.

"Let's just forget about all of this psychic business," Patrick said. "What else has been going on?"

"Not much," I said. "I've been at Fall Out Bros. most of the week, and I'm still waiting for my pen pal to reply to me."

"You have a pen pal?" Patrick said.

I nodded and said, "His name is Mikey Way. He's my mom's college roommate's son, and he lives in New Jersey."

"That's nice," Patrick said. "I've always wanted to have a pen pal."

"Pen pals are nice, but I've always liked real life relationships better, especially when there are cute boys with fedoras involved," I said.

Patrick blushed and said, "I've always preferred tattooed goth guys with eyeliner myself."

I knew that makeup made guys look beautiful, I thought. I smiled and looked back at Patrick, gazing into his gorgeous eyes. At that moment, I knew that he had forgiven me for everything that I'd done, and knowing that instantly made me feel better.

"I should get back to work," Patrick said. "It was nice seeing you again, Pete." He left Fall Out Bros., waving to me as he closed the door. It took all of the strength I had not to go with him. I wanted to disappear to wherever he was.

Later that day, I checked my mailbox and found that Mikey had finally replied to my letter. As soon as I got into the house, I read his letter.

Dear Pete,

It sounds like you've had a crazy summer so far. I'm sure that you'll find a way to stop Gabe's visions, although it does worry me that so many of them have come true. Maybe by the time you receive this, you'll have found a way to prevent them from happening. I'm sorry about the incident with the Neo-Nazis and that things have gone so badly with Patrick - from your letters, he seems like a nice guy. I wish that I could meet him, but I'm glad that I'll at least get to meet Gabe and Brendon in real life soon. Is Brendon bringing his puppy? If he is, I'll have to keep Frank from stealing it.

The Bon Jovi concert was a lot of fun, but most of my favorite bands aren't touring this year. I'll ask Gerard if he has any music recommendations. As usual, not much has happened in New Jersey. Ray and I had lunch together yesterday, but that's about it. You are possibly the first person in the world to be excited to come here.

I just have one question: if demons are real, does this mean that unicorns are real too?

Another cog in the murder machine,

Mikey Way

I immediately wrote a reply to Mikey's letter, glad that I had some happier news to give to him at last.

Dear Mikey,

This summer has been insane, but soon, summer will be on its deathbed, and this whole mess with Gabe's visions will be over. Two more visions have come true since your last letter - Brendon made a sculpture out of burned marshmallows, and Gabe and I met at a vegan restaurant. However, Gabe's next vision is him and Joe beating up Neo-Nazis at Fall Out Bros. Pizza, and I convinced my boss to put up signs to keep Nazis out of the restaurant, so that will never happen.

Things have changed for me and Patrick. I told him that Gabe and I aren't together at a Fourth of July bonfire, and we went on a date together two days later. It was incredible - Patrick is the song stuck in my head, every song that I've ever loved. We watched Labyrinth (have you seen that movie yet?), and we had dinner at a vegan restaurant, but I ran into Gabe there, and we got into an argument. I think Patrick's forgiven me for that though. You would like him if you met him - Patrick's a hard person not to like.

I don't think that Brendon is bringing Penny Lane, but I'll ask him. Also, we've talked about this before, Mikey. Unicorns are definitely not real.

Making trouble 'til I find what I love,

Pete Wentz

I sent the letter the next day, and I went back to impatiently waiting for Mikey's reply. Four more days passed by, and I spent most of that time working at Fall Out Bros. I went out to dinner one night with Gabe and Brendon, but I delivered pizzas every other night, and thankfully, I never saw any Neo-Nazis. It seemed like our plan really was working. I went to work that day certain that Gabe's vision would never come true. We had finally stopped the end of the world from happening - I was sure of it.

Before work, I checked the mailbox, and found that Mikey had replied to me. I opened the envelope as I headed to the DeLorean.

Dear Pete,

I'm glad that you've finally found a way to stop the visions. Maybe the world won't end after all. It's also nice to hear that you and Patrick are doing well. Again, I wish that I could meet him. I have not seen Labyrinth yet, but Ray and I were talking about going to the movies this week. Should we see it?

Most of Gerard's suggestions were artists that aren't coming to New Jersey anytime soon. Gee's gotten really into The Misfits, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, The Cure, and The Smiths lately. You two can geek out over music together when you get here (if Gerard ever gets out of the basement).

That's truly disappointing that unicorns aren't real, Pete. You know how I feel about unicorns. They're so wonderful and amazing. It's not fair that psychics and demons are real, but unicorns aren't.

Three cheers for tyranny,

Mikey Way

I left the letter in the car and drove to Fall Out Bros. When I walked into the restaurant, "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" was playing again. "Pete!" Billie Joe called.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I want you to wait tables today," Billie said. "Let Joe and Winona handle deliveries."

I was going to argue with Billie Joe - I preferred deliveries over waiting tables - but I decided to shut my mouth and do what he had asked. It wasn't an argument that I was likely to win anyways, and I desperately wanted to stay on Billie's good side.

A few hours went by, and nothing interesting happened. I just brought all of the customers in the restaurant their pizza, a mind-numbing job in my opinion. I spent the whole morning wishing that I was in the Fall Out Bros. car with Joe, driving around town and delivering pizzas. Then again, anything would be better than this.

In the middle of the afternoon, when business was hopelessly slow, three white men in their twenties sat down at a table near the window. I had never seen any of them in the restaurant before - they definitely weren't regulars - but one of them seemed familiar. I walked up to them and said, "Hi, my name is Pete, and I'll be your server for today. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"I actually have a question," one of the men said.

"Go on," I said.

"What's with the anti-Nazi signs outside of the restaurant?" the man asked.

"They're pretty self-explanatory," I said. "Fall Out Bros. Pizza employs people of all races, religions, genders, and sexual orientations, and a lot of us aren't comfortable with the bigoted attitudes of the Illinois Nazi Party."

"That's not fair at all," the man complained just as I noticed that he had a swastika tattoo. "You can't keep Nazis out of your restaurant just because you don't like our political beliefs!"

Did these guys not read the signs in front of the shop? I wondered. I then realized that they were probably here just to complain about the signs. If I hadn't done anything at all, the Neo-Nazis might not have come.

"Yeah!" his friend chimed in. "It's reverse discrimination!"

"It's a Jewish conspiracy!" the third Neo-Nazi added. He looked at me again, and then said, "Wait a second, I've seen you before."

I'd seen him before too. He was one of the Neo-Nazis that had beaten me up at the Sunshine Riptide.

"I thought for sure that we'd found a final solution for you," the Neo-Nazi said. "People like you don't deserve to exist. Black boys kissing Jews - it's just wrong."

The other two Nazis looked repulsed. "Who's the manager here?" one of them asked. "We should ask him for a different waiter, preferably a good, straight Aryan."

"Billie Joe!" I called, hoping for someone who could help me deal with the Neo-Nazis before they beat me to a pulp (again). Billie didn't hear me, but at that moment, the Fall Out Bros. car arrived, and Joe and Winona walked into the restaurant.

"What's going on?" Joe asked as he walked up to the table with the Neo-Nazis. He then saw what they were wearing. "Is that an Illinois Nazi Party T-shirt?" None of the Nazis had time to respond before Joe punched one of them in the face.

He screamed, and then shouted to his friends, "Go get that Jew!"

They rushed toward Joe, but he did his best to fight them off. As the fight was going on, I ran into the kitchen to find Billie Joe. When I did find him, I told him what was happening, and he immediately reached for the cassette deck and turned up the volume of "Nazi Punks Fuck Off."

"If this doesn't make them go away, let me know," Billie Joe said. "I won't tolerate bigotry in my restaurant. After all, what good is love and peace on earth when it's exclusive?"

I nodded and returned to the table where the Neo-Nazis were. They were still fighting with Joe, but when I looked out the window, I saw that Gabe was outside, about to walk into Fall Out Bros. I didn't even try to stop him from sprinting into the shop and joining in the fight. He quickly grabbed the Nazi that had beaten me up and punched him in the face with all of his strength. "That was for my family - they all had to leave Europe because of people like you!"

"The Holocaust didn't happen..." he mumbled, but that just made Gabe even angrier.

"How dare you?!" he shouted as he struck the Neo-Nazi again. The Nazi tried to fight back, but it was useless. Gabe smashed the Nazi's head against a wall, shouting, "That was for my best friend!"

The fight continued on for a few more minutes, but it was clear that Gabe and Joe would win. Eventually, the Neo-Nazis left Fall Out Bros. Pizza, bruised and bloodied. Once they were gone, Gabe grinned. "That felt so good," he said.

Billie turned the music down and emerged from the kitchen. "I'm so proud of you two," he said, gesturing toward Joe and I. He then turned to Gabe and said, "I know that we don't know each other too well, but I have seen you around..."

"I'm Gabe Saporta," he said. "Pete's my best friend."

"Billie Joe Armstrong, and you'd better not wear it out," Billie said with a smile. "Anyways, Gabe, I know you don't work here, but I'm making you an honorary member of the Fall Out Bros. family. What you did to those Neo-Nazis was just awesome."

"Thank you," Gabe said.

"You all can have a free pizza if you'd like," Billie said.

"Free pizza!" I exclaimed, practically bouncing up and down. "You're the best, Billie!"

"I may have made my own vision come true, but at least I get some pizza out of it," Gabe whispered to me. Joe, Gabe, and I all sat down and shared a vegan pizza, and for a while, we could pretend as if Gabe wasn't one step closer to dying. We had finally gotten our revenge on the Neo-Nazis, and for me, that was what counted. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro