7 | Mentor

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Her boots touched down on...grass? Was she back into another forest?

She whirled to find the woman looking down at her with an almost motherly smile. "I'll give you a tour of the camp and then i'll introduce you to your mentor," she said.

Kymalin frowned. "Mentor?"

"We will teach you how to fight and defend yourself," the woman replied with a shrug. "Of course, you will need a mentor. I think you will really like her."

And without ado, they walked forward, into the camp ahead. "Camp" was the closest word Kymalin could associate with the place the woman was showing her. Tents, both colorful ones and off-white ones, were pitched in hazy formations all around, each having some kind of flag waving at the pinion. She squinted to see where the sea of waving flags ended but so far, she couldn't.

The sky was also blinding. Without the interference of the trees, the sun shining down on them was a welcome sight. Interestingly, even though it was bright out and the sunlight streaming straight towards them like a theater light, she wasn't sweating as much as she was in Carcalet. There were no breezes either. It's like...it's like magic. Because if it's not, then Kymalin might just be damned because this concept was just so mindblowing.

"That's the armory and training ground," the woman pointed to the wide field they just passed, jarring Kymalin from her wonder. It felt like it was at the heart of the camp but Kymalin couldn't be sure. It appeared like there was more further north. "That, over there, the only building in this place, is the dining hall."

Kymalin scratched the side of her face. "Why was that the only one that is not a tent?"

The woman chuckled. "Well, it would suck to cook under a flammable roof, wouldn't it?" she said. "Besides, the tents are personalized so it's easier to remove compared to the erected buildings, foundations and all."

Kymalin didn't need to say more. The woman, Peredeira or whatever, basically implied people here were gone all the time and that made their personal space in this camp to be easily abolished. The only question was what kind of "gone" were those people?

She didn't get to ponder about that question because she spotted another woman coming closer to them in the horizon. They were still in the open ground which Peredeira said was for training. Kymalin watched the newcomer jog towards them in light, hearty steps only to slow into a brisk walk when she got a few steps closer.

"Peredeira, welcome back," the woman pushed stray locks of hair that escaped her simple updo off her forehead. Sweat glistened on her forehead. She must have been in the field for a while. Then, her eyes went down to Kymalin.

Kymalin wasn't meaning to, but she gave a small squeak when she locked gazes with those eyes. It's...it's like a pool of stormclouds combined with angry waves. Somehow, despite all that, she found them to be gentle. "Who might this be?" the woman asked.

Peredeira placed a cool hand on the small of Kymalin's back and urged her forward. "I didn't catch your name, dear," she said. "Why don't you tell dear Raena your name?"

"Kymalin," she blurted. "Kymalin Iaro."

Hushed silence passed through both women. Kymalin blinked. What's wrong? Did she say something upsetting? Finally, Raena shook her head and nodded at the other woman. "Thank you for showing Kym around," she said. "I'll take it from here."

Peredeira chuckled. "As you should," she said. "As you should."

Before she went, she gave Kymalin another side glance. "Be good," she said. "Both of you."

Raena stood with rigid attention and bowed as Peredeira turned and stalked off, leaving Kymalin with her. As soon as Peredeira vanished in the distance, the gentleness in Raena's eyes snuffed out. "Come with me," she snapped.

Kymalin blinked. When she turned, the woman was already tearing down the plain and walking towards an open tent with various weapons and armor inside. She jogged to catch up. By the time they got to the tent's lip, Kymalin was huffing. Gods, walking was much more berable.

"You sure took your sweet time coming here," Raena said. She disappeared into the tent, forcing Kymalin to follow.

Suddenly, a clump of clothes slammed into her face. "Ow! What was that for?" she yelped, clutching her eye and the clothes before they fall to the ground. She whipped to Raena who was rummaging around wooden chests and cloth sacks, whispering under her breath certain items she needed. From Kymalin's spot, she was pretty sure she head something like tunics and pants.

"I can't have you walking around the camp with a blue butt," Raena said with a flat tone.

Kymalin knitted her eyebrows. "I don't have a blue butt," she said.

Raena hummed. "In denial, I see," she jerked her chin at the clothes in Kymalin's hands. "Wear that so we can go straight through training. I need to gauge your level."

Kymalin walked towards the woman when she passed a standing mirror. It had been ages since she last peered in one and the image that greeted her was someone she didn't recognize. Her hair had grown longer than she last noted it. And her form...

To say the least, Kymalin had developed curves and more...baggage. She didn't even realize it. She was far too busy taking care of her brother to even care. Now, about the blue butt. She swiveled her hips, and, true enough, there was a blue smudge behind her, going from her hips and down into her thighs. Heat rushed to her cheeks. She went around Carcalet and Cardovia looking like that?

Where had she even gotten it?

A memory flashed in her mind. The rock. She cursed mentally. Her eyes flicked to Raena who stood a few paces away with her arms crossed. "Well? Get on with it," the woman said, pushing past her and ducking out of the tent. "I'll be outside."

Kymalin kissed her teeth. What's up with that woman? Why was she so touchy? It wasn't like Kymalin had done something to her. She rolled her shoulders. Well, whatever. She'd just do what Raena told her to do. Peredeira told her to be good, anyway.

Without much ceremony, Kymalin ducked into the hidden parts of the tent and shed off her clothes imported from Carleon. Despite the heaviness deepening in her heart, she forced herself to dump the dirty tunic into a stack of wooden boards. Whatever were those for, anyway?

She slipped into the new trousers and tunic Raena had graciously given her and did some stretches. Huh. It did make all the difference. At least she could move more freely now.

Raena paused for a moment when Kymalin stepped out of the tent in her new outfit. As much as she hated how the tunic choked her chest, there wasn't much to be done until she could get a new one fitted to her size.

Raena cleared her throat. "Follow me," she said.

They walked towards a spot in the training ground where there wasn't anyone wrestling or exchanging blows with a sword or a dagger. From Kymalin's periphery, she watched how the soldiers moved and how painful must those strikes be if they landed. Raena stopped abruptly and Kymalin almost ran into her.

"What do you know about hand-to-hand combat?" Raena asked.

Kymalin tapped her chin. "Not much."

In a flash, Raena lunged towards her. Before she knew it, the woman had wrapped a leg around Kymalin's shins and had pulled Kymalin's legs from under her. The world spun before coming to a stop when Kymalin slammed into the ground, knocking the air out of her lungs.

A heavy weight settled on her chest as Raena planted her knee in her flesh. "First rule about hand-to-hand combat," her voice was so low it was almost uncorrigible. "Don't get distracted."

Kymalin nodded and Raena let her go. She pushed herself up. Now, she kept watch over the woman's legs and arms. She wouldn't make the same mistake she did.

Raena exhaled. "Well, as far as training goes," she clasped her arms atop her head. "You need every beginner's manual in this island. I can't believe you know next to nothing."

Kymalin opened her mouth to retort but closed it again. No use embarrasing herself further. The only time she ever got physical was when chasing out lost falyt cubs wandering into her room by mistake.

Raena moved again, this time surging left and lunging for Kymalin's right arm. Kymalin stepped back and raised her arms to block the strike. Instead, her left shoulder flashed with pain as she was thrown sideways. A boot whizzed away from her periphery. Did Raena just....kick her arm? As she fell, she felt an elbow dig to her side, disabling her further. She plopped to the ground, hacking and squirming like a choking dagrine. Everything hurt, even her cheek which slapped the ground with a resounding thud.

"Second rule about hand-to-hand combat," Raena said, not even out of breath. Her shadow was beginning to be something Kymalin abhorred. "Learn to the difference between right and left."

Kymalin groaned, forcing herself to sit up. Her hands rubbed her sore spots. Raena crossed her arms. "Come here at dawn tomorrow, Kym," she said. "We'll start for real then."

She wanted to scream. This wasn't the beginning? Then, what Raena said the second time registered. "My name is Kymalin," she said, shooting up to match Raena's stance. "Not Kym."

Raena smirked. "Until you defeat me in a fair match," she said. "You'll be Kym."

Before Kymalin could say anything scathing back, Raena turned and walked away. She was left alone in a sea of sparring duos not long after. She clenched her fists, frustration bubbling in her gut. An annoyed squeal from her would mean Raena won whatever psychological game she was playing. No. Whatever happens, Kymalin would never show she was affected by Raena's attitude. Not now. Not ever.

The sunlight flickered, distracting Kymalin from her fury. She squinted at the sky for a solid few minutes. Nothing happened. Well, there's that. She heaved a breath, forcing her hands to unclench and relax. There. It's just training. She would learn. And when she did, she would kick Raena in the blue butt.

Just she wait.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro