11. Aftermath

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"The calm that precedes a storm sends shivers down the spine, in anticipation. The one that follows the storm reflects the aftermath; silent mourning and plain devastation."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

24th August 

Third person's point of view:

The sky wasn't as overcast as it had been the night before. 

The sun was peeking from the horizon, its golden rays reaching out beautifully, through the mist. The fresh monsoon scent of grass and moist soil lingered in the air. The dawn seemed majestic and alluring, as it welcomed the day ahead. 

Mrinalini was awoken by a sudden chilling gust of wind that tickled the sole of her feet, causing miraculous goosebumps to erupt on her skin. She shivered at the cold sensation and tried to bury her feet underneath the duvet, her hands hugging her frame, rubbing her shoulders to preserve heat. Her eyes were sleep-laden and dazed. Her body wasn't ready to wake up so soon. She rolled over to the other side lazily and closed her eyes again. 

She tried to fall back asleep, but a sudden wet sensation in her nether parts made her sit upright. Her abdomen felt pained and heavy, almost like a tight knot had been tied in there. She got up from bed and pushed the duvet aside, straining her drowsy eyes to inspect the printed linen for stains. 

Satisfied and relieved at the clean sheet, though crumpled by her restless movements overnight, Mrinalini walked away to the bathroom, grabbing her clothes, towel, and a sanitary napkin. She took her time in the shower, letting the warm water soothe her. She soaked in her stained underpants and washed them thoroughly, muttering under her breath and mentally gearing up for more such nuisance in the next five days.

The weakness from the night before combined with the long duration that she had endured without food had her craving for breakfast. She hurriedly dried herself off and changed into a kurta and leggings. This was the first time since the wedding that she had chosen to wear clothing that she had been familiar with. Since 8 days had already passed, she wasn't compelled to wear saris or all her bangles. The change was welcome and relieving.

When Mrinalini stepped out of the bathroom, Debarghya was still sleeping. He had turned and rolled over to Mrinalini's side of the bed, taking advantage of the extra space. The duvet had been pulled up to his chin and he looked peaceful. 

Mrinalini shook her head, smiling slightly at the sight of her sleeping husband. This was something that he did every morning. He would feel hot at night, throwing away the duvet hither tither and in the morning, the duvet would cover him throughout, almost like he was freezing due to cold. She tip-toed to the dressing table and brushed the knots out of her hair, trying her best to minimize any form of noise that would disturb Debarghya's sleep.

Feeling a low rumble in her stomach and a sudden hunger pang, she made her way to the kitchen, scrounging for a jar containing biscuits. Munching on an oat's digestive, she proceeded to light the stove and placed a saucepan containing water, for boiling. She had to make tea for everyone and set aside some warm water for her cup of coffee later. She grabbed another biscuit, her ravenous self welcoming the plain biscuit as she filled a bucket and mixed detergent into the water before soaking the used clothes from the day before.

Her mind was calmer than it had been the previous night. Rai's words and confession had taken time to sink in. The initial shock and the impromptu feelings of anger, disbelief, and shock had worn off, but the aftermath would remain in the form of an old scar. The wound was still raw and it would take time to absorb it all. The hurt would be there as would resentment and agony.

There was a determination in her that craved justice for her mother. She had all the plans and she was hell-bent on lodging a complaint against Barun, a man who had raised her, sheltered her, but had failed her and her mother. 

He wasn't her uncle anymore. He was a plain criminal, a disgusting rapist who deserved punishment for his sins. She wasn't obligated to him anymore. Just as they had wanted to cut off all ties with her by getting her married, she had cut of all ties that she had with him. Life in the one-story house at Entally would be part of her past, one that she had been compelled to leave, but now she would never regret leaving it all behind, once and for all.

Just as the dawn heralds the arrival of a new day, a new beginning, this particularly unexpected, dark eclipse that had graced Mrinalini's life had marked a renaissance. She was young and inexperienced in the real field called life, but the recent turn of events had changed the perspective through which she regarded the world. 

Sighing to herself, Mrinalini returned to the kitchen, to add tea leaves to the boiled water. She arranged the teacups neatly, adding milk powder and sugar to her mother-in-law's cup, sucralose to her sister-in-law's, and kept it bland for Debarghya. She put bread in the toaster and kept butter and some sugar granules handy. 

The early morning chores usually went hassle-free and Mrinalini felt grateful for the privacy and solitude. The chirping of birds on the window sill and the random whistle of a pressure cooker in the neighbourhood, the street dogs barking at the milkman, and the impatient honking of a school bus waiting for school kids at the bus stops presented a cacophonic backdrop which was ironically peaceful. An occasional pealing of a temple bell would echo melodiously in the serene morning as the young bride went about the household responsibilities that she had taken into her stride.

Just as she was done pouring the tea into the cups, draining the tea leaves using a strainer, Anumegha walked out dressed up for the day. 

"Good morning Boudi!" she greeted Mrinalini cheerfully

"Good morning." Mrinalini greeted her sister-in-law back with a tight-lipped, polite smile

Anumegha looked onto the woman who was younger to her in age, yet older in relation; the wife of her older brother, the elder daughter-in-law of the household. She observed her as she ran a soiled rag along the kitchen island, cleaning up any remnant or trace that had been left on the smooth slab of granite. 

"Your tea is ready. Would you like it now?" Mrinalini asked Anumegha, looking at her with a questioning gaze

Anumegha accepted the offered cup of tea and asked her playfully, "How is it? Being married? Is my brother a good husband?"

Mrinalini nodded, a slight tinge of rouge appearing on her cheeks. She tucked in a strand of her hair behind her ear before wiping the beads of perspiration from her forehead and speaking up, "It is odd really, being married."

"If that isn't an odd choice of words, then I don't know what is." her sister-in-law replied, grinning once before sipping on her tea noisily

"I meant, marriage is different and in a way so complex. I am practically the same person I was before marriage. My home is in a different place now and I have new family members, but that's about it. I am the same. Expectations and priorities change. The bride and the girl before marriage remain the same. The responsibilities are more now. Overall, being married is good."

Anumegha nodded, taking a glance at the wall clock. 

"It is almost 7.30. Why isn't Dada (elder brother) up yet?"

"I think he is taking a leave today," Mrinalini replied, unsure. She could vaguely remember him telling her that he would take an off, or perhaps he had done so to cajole her upset and crying self?

"He is taking a leave today? It's just Friday isn't it?" Anumegha asked rhetorically, frowning slightly

Mrinalini did not say anything. The doorbell rang just then and she rushed to open the door for the maid who came home twice a day to sweep and mop the floor. 

An hour later, after the maid had left and Debjani had been done with the daily worship, the four of them sat down to have breakfast. Mrinalini had informed her mother-in-law that she would be unable to participate in the worship for the next five days since she was menstruating. She had used the phrase that roughly translated to, 'I am unwell', to explain her 'condition'.

Although the times had changed and the whole orthodox perspective had evolved, most women in India, both in urban and rural surroundings refrained from taking part in any kind of religious activities during their time of the month. There was little reason to complain, it had all become a part of living and lifestyle. Oddly enough, in most cases, the women of every household went about going through all the domestic chores, even with the brief abdominal spasms that would leave them gasping, silently. 

"Why are you not going to work today, Dada? And had you told me so earlier, I would have bunked college today!" Anumegha started, her tone wistful and whiny

"Maybe that is the reason why he didn't tell you?" Debjani offered, her lips twitched as she said, "Newly married after all. You'll probably know next year after you get hitched."

Mrinalini kept silent. She lifted her downcast eyes to meet her sister-in-law's that were twinkling in amusement.

"I have some work at the bank Ma. The banks are closed on Sundays and I do not have an off tomorrow, hence I took a leave today." Debarghya explained himself

"Whatever floats your boat, big brother!" Anumegha replied, rolling her eyes

"You know what? If you don't believe me, you should take a leave today and accompany the two of us to the bank. Stand in the long queues. That will spare me the time and effort." he retorted, glaring at his younger sister who was hell-bent on teasing him

"No thank you. I have a movie date with my fiance." she replied sassily, sticking her tongue out at her brother, "You need to learn some romance from him, Dada. Your bride is young and I am sure she would appreciate if you put in some effort into wooing her some more."

Mrinalini remained mum. Her mind wandered away to the previous night when her emotional outburst had been handled by him. He had not coaxed her into accepting everything and behaving maturely instead of crying. On the contrary, he had helped her get all the pain out of her system, through those tears and seemingly irrelevant questions. 

"You agree too, don't you?" she was snapped back into reality as Anumegha directed the question at Mrinalini

She was initially caught off guard. She shook her head and stammered out, "I...I... it's... okay. I don't know."

The conversation was forgotten a few minutes later when Debarghya received a phone call from work. He got up hastily, with his phone, and Anumegha got engrossed with reading the newspaper.

"We are going to the bank right?" Mrinalini asked Debarghya who was buttoning up his casual shirt carefully

"Yes. We have to get some work done. Take your wedding jewellery with you. We will secure them in a locker. And please carry your identity cards."

"Umm... My name needs to be changed on the documents and the address has to be updated." Mrinalini told him nervously. He had been behaving in a rather perplexed manner since morning.

Debarghya sighed in annoyance and mumbled something about getting their details updated at the local Aadhar office. 

"What has happened to you? Did I do something to annoy you?" Mrinalini asked him unable to tolerate his indifferent behaviour

He shook his head, sighing deeply as he ran his hand through his hair.

"No. It has nothing to do with you. I am sorry for being snappy. Are you okay?"

Mrinalini nodded, "I am okay. Can we go to the police station later?"

His expression was sceptical. 

"Don't get me wrong. I support your decision about lodging a complaint but think rationally once. It's been two decades since what transpired. Even if you resolve to do something, there will be little that you would be able to do."

Mrinalini blinked and scooted closer to him, surprising him as much as she surprised herself by wrapping her arms around his waist as she rested her head against his chest. She could feel the heaving movement of his diaphragm as he inhaled and exhaled periodically. The vibrations from his beating heart felt so close to her as she inhaled deeply. Her lips brushed against the closed buttons of his shirt as she told him softly,

"I don't want to remain silent, Arghya. I cannot be idle after what Ma told me. It's so shocking! I find it so hard to digest. I grew up under that monster's care... I..."

Her voice trailed off as a sudden heavy lump appeared in her throat. She sighed deeply, "I need to go to the police station. I don't want to give up before trying. If the entire nation can come forward together for one Nirbhaya, then why can't I as my mother's only daughter?"

She felt Debarghya nod before placing his hands on her shoulders and telling her gently, "Get ready! The bank and the Aadhar office have fixed working hours. We need to get moving."

Mrinalini smiled shyly before releasing him from her embrace and scurrying off. 

The two of them walked up to the Shyambazar branch of the State Bank of India. 

Mrinalini was carrying a handbag where she had carefully arranged and packed the gold jewellery. 

"Stop holding it that way, Mrinal. Any outsider would know that you are carrying something expensive in there." Debarghya whispered into her ears, glaring at her tightly clenched fist that was holding on to her bag like there was no tomorrow

Mrinalini loosened her grip instantly, easing her expression as the two of them walked inside the bank. Debarghya took his time to explain to her the various forms and counters. He handed her a form and asked her to fill it up while he would go and get his passbook updated.

"This form is for someone who wants to open a new account," she stated flatly.

"Yes. Fill it out with your name and details. Once the documents are ready, you can come and submit them along with this form. I am going to deposit Rs. 2000 as a start. Apart from that, this account will be yours." he clarified

Her lips stretched into a smile as she looked up expectantly, "Thank you. I will get a debit card of my right?"

Debarghya was amused at her question. He nodded, "Of course you will and you can withdraw money, deposit, make online payments and so much more. Now fill that out. I will be at that counter."

He walked away leaving Mrinalini in her happy bubble. She had spent years as a child coming to the bank with Barun and Abhrajeet on Saturdays. She would sit in a corner next to Abhrajeet while her uncle picked up a token and waited in line. Her curious eyes would follow everyone's movement and activities. She remembered a particular day when Abhrajeet had pointed out to an old woman who was looking at Mrinalini with a creepy grin and had told her that she was a kidnapper. The then five-year-old had burst into tears and had to be taken home to her mother. The same kid had grown now and was about to open her very first bank account! She had always wanted to have a card of her own that she could keep inside her purse and...

Mrinalini shook her head, snapping herself back to the present. She lifted the pen, clicking the button on the rear end, activating the nib so she could begin filling out her details. She filled in her name, her current residential address i.e., the address of her marital home, and added in details about her parents and spouse. She signed at the end, using her marital name and signature for the first time on official paper. 

Keeping the paper aside, she looked up and her eyes scanned the long queues and crowds for Debarghya. He did come back a few minutes later, after which the two of them went to the locker room and carefully placed each velvet box inside the medium-sized locker that had been allotted to them. Once done, Debarghya handed over the key to Mrinalini, asking her to keep it safe.

Their next stop was the local Aadhar office which was located a few bus stops away. It had started raining. They had to wait at the bus stop for 15 minutes, taking shelter under the shade of the waiting area where around twenty other commuters had followed suit. The sky had become overcast by dark clouds yet again and the rain descended in the form of a heavy downpour, forming a dynamic, hazy curtain that made it inconvenient for everyone, due to low visibility. 

Mrinalini felt Debarghya take her right hand in his just as a bus came to a screeching stop near where they were standing. It wasn't too crowded, but there were the usual confusion and pandemonium among the passengers who were ascending and descending at the stoppage. 

Mrinalini felt him tug at her arm, mouthing 'come'. 

They managed to enter the bus before it drove away, both of them standing, holding on to the hoops dangling from the metal beam attached to the ceiling of the bus. It was highly inconvenient for Mrinalini because of her short height, but she managed to travel the distance of 4 kilometres without losing balance and falling. 

It took them all afternoon to get the impending work done. They reached home late in the afternoon right in time for a late lunch. Debjani had eaten earlier, so the two of them had the dining table to themselves and all the time and privacy to make small talk. 

"Where have you stowed away the gift boxes?" Debarghya asked Mrinalini, as she served some rice onto their respective plates

"In the loft. There were just about 10 big boxes. The rest of the gifts were mostly enclosed in envelopes." 

After the two of them finished with their meal, Debarghya helped her take out the gift boxes from the loft. Mrinalini stood on a chair that had been borrowed from the dining table while he stood behind, holding the backrest of the chair, extending his hand for each box that she lowered.

"This one is a toaster," Debarghya said, unwrapping a medium-sized box and reading the label

"This is a microwave oven?" Mrinalini stated, her words punctuated by a question mark, "Who gifts something so expensive?"

"Must have been my office colleagues, Mrinal. They must have pooled together to get one common present."

The rest of the presents consisted of a couple of home decor items, like vases and a ceramic idol of Lord Krishna, useful items like a mini dinner set, a bed linen set, and cushion covers. Once the two of them had sorted out and stored the presents, Mrinalini cleared up the room while Debarghya took out his laptop to compile a report. 

"Are you going to be busy? I had to go out to buy vegetables and I plan to make a stop at the police station. Will you not accompany me?"

Debarghya stretched his legs and rubbed his eyes, the laptop still on. He looked up at Mrinalini who was dressed and waiting at the door of their bedroom.

"Can you manage on your own, Mrinal? I have to mail this report by 8 tonight."

Nodding, Mrinalini set off on her own. After an hour of careful selection and bargaining, Mrinalini clutched the shopping bag that was now heavy with fresh vegetables and went her way.

Instead of taking the right turn, which would take her home, she turned left from the circle where four roads intersected. She took steady steps towards the police station, her initial reluctance rusting away with each step that landed on the sidewalk.

She took a deep breath upon entering the police station. Her eyes followed the movements of the police constables and officers. She walked to one of the constables, making a general inquiry. She was directed to a male officer who was seated at a desk.

"I need to lodge an F.I.R." she spoke out, breaking the silence that had been eating her away

The officer looked up at the young, fragile woman with a bored expression on his face. He stared at her from head to toe looking at her flustered state.

"Rape case I presume?" he asked in a sinister, judgmental manner

Mrinalini nodded, an uncomfortable feeling passing through her as she voiced her thoughts, "How do you know that it is a rape case that I wish to report?"

"A young married woman here at the police station in the late evening," the police officer began, sparing a glance at the burlap bag in Mrinalini's hand, "amidst domestic chores. I think it is pretty expected. Anyway, the name of the accused?"

"Mr Barun Debnath."

"Name of the complainant?" the police officer drawled, tapping the edge of his table with the pen in his hand

Mrinalini was confused for a moment. Who was the complainant in this case? The one who had come to lodge a report or was it the victim?

"Sir, who is the complainant, in this case, the victim or the one who lodges a report?"

The man looked up at Mrinalini, his jaw clenching as he stood up abruptly, "What do you mean? You are the victim in this case, aren't you? Give me your name."

It dawned upon the young woman that the man had misunderstood her demeanor and had made assumptions without making the general inquiries first. She began, bewildered, "I think there's been a misunderstanding, Sir. I..."

"If you aren't the victim, then on whose behalf are you here to lodge a report? We do not have a lot of time ma'am and it would be highly appreciated if you can give us straight facts," he intervened, his voice intimidating and warning.

Mrinalini was shaken for a moment. She exhaled aloud, calming herself. The police officer's gaze softened slightly when he saw her state. He gave her time enough to compose herself.

"Sir, the victim in question is my mother, Mrs Rai Debnath."

"Mrs....?" he began, his jaw working angrily, his impatience apparent.

"Acharya. Mrinalini Acharya."

"Look, I don't know what you youngsters think and believe, but marital rape isn't considered punishable by our constitution. If the accused had intercourse with his wife and..."

"Sir!" Mrinalini screamed out, her dormant temper flaring up at the man's ignorance. "That man isn't my father or my mother's husband. He is my father's brother who had the audacity to rape his brother's widowed wife! I came here to complain to him, on behalf of my mother."

The officer flinched involuntarily at the unexpected outburst from the young woman. He had not imagined that the soft-spoken woman would be capable of talking sharply, to a police officer at that! People were looking at him and the young bride with a petite frame, but a strong voice.

Mrinalini continued, all of her nervousness falling away, her eyes were flashing with anger, her quickening heartbeat pumping panache into her veins, "I am not here to discuss what is morally correct and what isn't. I am not here to hear about your inability to register a marital rape case. I am here to lodge a complaint, a rape case. I have given you the names of the victim and the criminal too. I would appreciate it if you would take the effort to fill out that page instead of looking at my face, Sir. Now if you would please hurry up. I am not an idle and jobless person. Like you, I have work. I have work to do at home."

"When did the incidence take place?" he asked, his voice polite this time. More than the woman's words, the stares that he got from his juniors and contemporaries had been particularly embarrassing and his voice had dropped down a few decibels.

"The incidence took place 19 years ago.  At my uncle's home in Entally," she answered.

The man looked up at Mrinalini this time and told her firmly, "Even if we overlook the number of years that have passed since I would have to disappoint you. That area doesn't come under our police station's jurisdiction. We cannot take your complaint."

The fire that had ignited in her got abruptly extinguished. Her spirit dampened again, but unlike the last time, she held back her tears. She nodded, acknowledging the officer, and proceeded to exit the police station. 

She did not burst into tears when she stepped out. On the contrary, her face was dry, apart from the beads of perspiration glittering on her forehead. Her face wasn't downcast, her head was held high.

To be continued...

PUBLISHED ON:  12th August 2020

Author's note:

Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well and are safe.

I know that I have been very disappointing and inconsistent, but it wasn't something I did out of recreation, it was a necessity. I had a lot on the line and hence, this void.

I will try my level best to be a bit more consistent and dedicated, but I am not the one to make promises.

I am aware that the plot may be dragging on, but here's an earnest request from my end, please do bear with me. I will honestly take it into my stride to improve.

Do take care of yourselves and pray for happiness. Here's to better days ahead.

With love,

Shubhadittya

P.S. Please do VOTE, COMMENT, and SHARE if you think the story is deserving.

P.P.S. If anyone has any complaints/ suggestions or criticism, then please do let me know. I will be gratified if you do. The D.M. box is always at your disposal.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro