| 3 |

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Damn Hollywood interlopers." Nick Stone moved closer to the register. Jackie watched Jasmine bite her lip as. She surmised the star struck girl couldn't fathom insulting a Hollywood production manager the way her boss just had.

I'm going to flush this guy's secrets out of the underbrush.

She put away her phone and flashed a charming smile at the seething proprietor. "I've heard of New Englander hospitality, but that was impressive."

The agitated man caught her gaze and hesitated. He glanced at her high heels. "You're too sophisticated to be from around here."

"I'm not local, I'm just passing through on my way to Vermont." Jackie breezed past him and glanced out the window. She noted that the production manager was waiting to exit the parking lot in a dark, compact vehicle. She was able to make out the first number and letter of the license plate before the car turned up the road towards the ferry's dead end access road.

She looked back caught the proprietor's piercing eyes discreetly lingering over her calves. "I couldn't help but overhear the generous offer that young man made for Harry Cullen to use this location in his new film." She tilted her head sideways.  Mr..?"

The brick of a man standing in front of her held out his hand. "Everyone calls me Stone." The warmth in his eyes emboldened her. She noted that his gaze strayed to the window where Miles had loaded Oliver back into the Supra.

Damn, he's connected me to New York plates. Don't want him to think I part of the film team.

She sighed and his attention swiveled back on her. "I'm going through a divorce. I had to get away."

"Excuse me?" He gave her a questioning look.

She gestured towards her boss as he put the dog back in the car. "My personal assistant. He intellectualizes everything—drives me nuts." With another exasperated sigh, she added. "It's so hard to find good help these days. May I?" She clasped his fingers and noted he wasn't wearing a ring.

~~~~~

Jack stepped into the car and retrieved her club sandwich then handed Miles the paper bag. Smelling the food, the teacup terrier jumped into front seat with them and vigorously waved its feathery dust wand tail. Miles pulled the chicken sandwich out of the bag and tore off small pieces, slowly feeding them to Oliver. The moon came out, glowing bright, crisp and clear and illuminated the car's interior.

"I haven't stepped foot in Vermont and I've already encountered a suspect." Jackie dabbed the corner of her mouth with a napkin. Admit it, I'm a natural at this P. I. stuff."

"You've already cracked the case?" Godspeed laughed. "Oliver and I are impressed." Sensing their excitement, the little dog yipped.

"I'm not joking. I found a person of interest."

"You did?" He saw her eyes flash and grew alert. "Tell me."

Jackie started the Supra. "I was waiting in line and I overheard Harry Cullen's harried production manager cajoling him to sign a three month rental agreement to use The Naked Turtle. "That would provide a nice income during the dead of winter when this place slows down. According to the cashier, this place is usually deserted during the winter, but with The Darkness production crew it was packed. Why wasn't he interested?"

"Seriously. That type of money can contract any location they want." Goodspeed frowned. "Why would Cullen be interested in renting a small bar restaurant on the opposite side of the lake?"

"Rural ambiance. Privacy." Jackie made a make believe picture frame with her two forefingers and panned over the quaint town. "Look at this place. It's remote and spooky with access to the thruway. Also, he can hide from the press here. Cullen's production manager said he specifically wanted this location."She held up her index finger. "Maybe it's the travel logistics."

"Why do you say that?"

"I remember reading Cullen detests flying." She pulled onto the ferry access road. "There's another reason."

"What's that, Sherlock?"

"I don't know what's behind it, but I sense Nick Stone wants to distance himself from the production company. He turned down an offer for double the rental contract."

Miles froze. "That is suspicious for a businessman."

Jackie nodded. "I'm going to find out what's behind his decision. I have a date with him tomorrow night." She smirked at Miles. "That's how you pull a rabbit out of your hat."

She chortled at his wide eyed stare. "Relax, I don't even own handcuffs. Not even fur ones." Pulling up to the white transpiration hit, she used his business credit card to buy their ferry tickets, then handed him back his Visa.

"Speak of the devil." Her brows raised as she pulled up to the dock's loading queue. "He's in that car." A uniformed young man waved them onto the ferry and she eased up the ferry's metal ramp and parked in the boats last available slot.

"Who?"

"Sam, The Darkness' film producer. He's parked towards the front of the ferry. I memorized the first half of his plate."

Miles leaned forward and saw a darkened silhouette in the vehicle. "Does he have a thick head of curls?"

"Yes, that's him. He had a baseball cap on earlier, but his wild hair is a dead giveaway." They both watched as the film producer walked to the front of the ferry and stood at the railing, staring out over the lake at the distant lights.

The ferry engine rumbled to life and the boat left shore. "Jackie tucked her keys in her purse. "I'm going to go talk to him." She opened her door.

"Wait." Miles placed Oliver in the back seat. "I'm going with you." He swayed, adjusting to the ferry's smooth movement.

Jackie shrugged. "Alright, but pretend you're my personal assistant."

"What!" He regained his equilibrium and found his footing on the metal decking, which reminded him of an airport moving. "Why?"

"Because that's my cover. A soon-to-be divorced socialite."

"Alright, but follow my lead." Miles rolled out of the car and blinked owlishly in the bright lights. Jackie exited the Supra and smoothed her skirt, which was already immaculate and wrinkle free.

As they walked along the deck they saw the dark haired film producer take the white metal stairs up to the observation deck. He pulled out his phone to answer an incoming call.

The motorized rumbling of the powerful ferry engine drowned out the clanking noise of Jackie and Miles' footsteps as they scurried up the metal stairs. Above them to the right, they heard their quarry's agitated voice.

"I'm sorry, he didn't want to sign. It's not.."

The voice abruptly stopped. Thinking they'd been caught eavesdropping, Jackie and Miles ducked down. After a minute, Miles raised his head and scanned the observation deck. "He's gone."

"That's impossible." Jackie searched the observation deck that was illuminated by the bright moon. The upper section of the ferry was entirely clear. "Maybe he took the other set of stairs down."

Miles shook his head. "He didn't have time. We heard him talking right above us."

"What if he threw his voice?"

"I doubt he knew we were here." As the opposite shoreline drew near, the ferry engines changed gear as the boat slowed. In front of them the dock lights grew brighter like an extraterrestrial ship had landed in the middle of the forest. "We have to get back to the car. They're going to start offloading ."

When they returned to the vehicle, the ferry was slipping between the wooden pilings. They heard a large clunk as the heavy boat ramp lowered onto the ferry deck. After a few minutes, cars started moving off the ferry. "

"He's back in his car," Jackie said. They both watched as the dark sedan drove off the ferry and up a gently inclining road. The single, curving road was surrounded by thick woods and swallowed the vehicle. "That was weird." She eased the Supra off the ferry and followed the road with a Charlotte sign that inclined gently upwards. After a half a mile, thick woods cleared and they entered a small, nocturne town straight out of a Rockwell painting. Though it was night, she could see the quaint, rustic town sat on a rural landscape comprised of a series of hills and ridges overlooking Lake Champlain.

"I agree. Something was off about that encounter. Let's follow up tomorrow." Miles exhaled. "I'm exhausted and there's nothing more we can do tonight." He turned and smiled at the lanky card dealer. "Good work. You are a natural detective."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro