17| Return to the Unknown

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Despite her reclusive and antisocial tendencies, it was never difficult to find Melva when she wasn't delving. When she wasn't at the Central District marketplace, she was at the bar near her home. That was where I found her after I had talked with Llyr.

We decided to try and get the four of us together that night, especially since I knew Vio was home at the time. The only reason why Llyr hadn't come with me was because he had to close up the shop. Llyr would then go get Vio while I made sure Melva was where I expected her to be. It was better to be safe than sorry, after all. Like I thought, there she was at her corner table, an empty tankard sitting next to her while she indulged in a second. I waved to get her attention, and she looked surprised to see me.

"Oh. Hey, kid." She gestured for me to sit down, and I sat beside her. "What the hell are ya doin' 'ere?" she asked.

I didn't blame her confusion; this really was a strange situation. After the day I got my moon whistle, I avoided bars unless we were specifically meeting at one. "To put it simply, Llyr and I were hoping to get together with you and Vio tonight to talk about something," I said.

"An' that is..?" She purposefully trailed off, arching a brow. With that, I told her. It didn't take her long to go from curious to surprised. Oddly enough, she didn't smile, just looked contemplative. As I finished explaining, she took a long swig of her ale. "So you're really goin'?" she asked.

I nodded. "It's my choice, after all, and I've made it."

"It was 'bout time ya said that." She tilted her tankard back to finish it off, purposefully slamming it down onto the table once she was finished. "Surprised that stick was the one who asked ya," she then said. "Guess he has more guts than I thought. Does he really want ya to bring back plants?"

"Yes, but I don't mind too much. As long as I can still bring back what I want, I'm happy to help," I said.

Melva got a strange glint in her eyes then, like she knew something I didn't. "So that's it, huh?"

I was confused by her response. "What's wrong with that? He said he wants to spend more time with me, but it's clearly because he sees me as a closer friend than I do." I frowned, concerned. "You're not envious, are you?"

A chuckle slipped from Melva as she shook her head. "Oh, I ain't," she said. "I'm glad you've been able to get to know more Delvers, even if I've been holding ya up all these years."

She honestly had, but I wasn't about to say that. She had a reason, and my staying with her had led to me adopting it as well. But what mattered more to me was what this decision meant for us. "I know you said you would when Vio offered, but do you really want to come with me as well?" I asked. "Disregarding what happened on the Third Layer before, aren't you afraid of—"

"I never said I was scared of 'em bastard Orb Piercers," she said with a scowl, cutting me off. The harshness didn't last long as her expression fell. "Though... I guess it's obvious, huh?" She sighed. "No, I don't wanna go, but I also do. Guess I've been thinkin' 'bout the same stuff ya have. Still, I knew I was gonna go no matter what. Wouldn't sit right with me lettin' ya go on a delve like that without me, even if half 'o Orth was backin' ya up."

It was as I expected, and I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt at that. "I recall a conversation we had years ago, one of the few things I remember from the night I became a Moon Whistle," I said, catching her attention. "You said you wanted to go to the Fourth Layer. Was I hearing you correctly? Or was that just the ale talking?"

Melva let out a whistle, looking impressed. "You're one to talk, Mr. 'Seeker,' but damn, ya remember that? I don't remember myself. But to tell ya the truth sober this time, yeah, I do wanna go. Always have. All the shit Vio talks 'bout after his delves is the exact stuff Bellan used to say, an' I do think it's a delve every Black Whistle has to make at some point. I shouldn't harp on ya too much 'bout curiosity if I got it myself." She smiled. "An' if that field of Eternal Fortunes is as bright as they both say, then I won't be hurtin' too much for sunlight."

Just the thought of being able to see that expanse of flowers gave me a rush of excitement I hadn't experienced in so long. I could even imagine it. Standing among the flowers myself, sunlight filtering down from above as petals filled the air. For a moment, the scent of stale booze was replaced with the light, sweet scent of Eternal Fortunes...

"What's with the smile?"

Melva's words pulled me back to the bar, and I realized I was indeed smiling. My face flushed hot, but I didn't stop. "I'm just thinking of what's to come," I said. "I don't think they'll let us go so far down, though."

"Then we can just go there ourselves. We're Black Whistles, we don't need babysitters!" Melva's smile became a grin, and she wrapped her arm around my neck to pull me close. "I missed this side o' ya, kid," she said. "Didn't wanna say it, but I really did."

"I missed it as well," I said, only for my excitement to die as a creeping reality overtook it. As much as the prospect of seeing the Fourth Layer invigorated me, there was still the matter of getting there, and it made my skin crawl. "I'm still nervous, though," I admitted. "I mean, we have to go through the Third Layer..."

Melva's brow furrowed with grim determination, and she tightened her grip on me. "We'll get through it together," she said simply and firmly. "Even when that thing was after us, it chased us into the bigger tunnels 'cause we'd already caught its attention. It didn't go outta its way to hunt us. An' we're just goin' down, not goin' off into any side tunnels."

She was right again. We'd be sticking to the largest tunnels, not purposefully putting ourselves at risk for getting trapped again. "I know, but it's nice to hear a reassurance like that spoken out loud," I said, smiling sheepishly. Melva's own smile returned, and she clapped me on the back after releasing me.

"Vio'll definitely be happy to hear this," she said. "We'll be able to have another delve together, an' to the Fourth Layer to boot. Finally, both of Bellan's kids are real Black Whistles."

"I believe he'd be proud of you," I said.

Melva nodded, more to herself than in agreement with me. "Yeah, he would," she muttered before glancing out into the bar. "Looks like they're 'ere." I looked up to see Vio and Llyr making their way to the table, with Llyr trailing a little ways behind Vio. When Vio saw us, he gave us a wave.

"Hey, you two," he greeted. As Melva and I returned the greeting, he and Llyr sat across from us, with Llyr squirreling himself away in the corner chair. He was almost hidden in the shadow where the two walls met. "I was definitely surprised to see Llyr at the door, but I'm more surprised by what he told me." He looked at me as he said this. "You've decided to make a Fourth Layer delve after all, Len? I'm glad to hear that."

"We all are," Melva said. "An' by what these two said, the four o' us are gonna take the plunge together." She gave Llyr a wry smile. "I'll have to commend ya for tryin' to pull all us together like this. Good job, stick."

Llyr looked confused. "St-stick?" He then let out a nervous laugh, beginning to twist a lock of hair around his finger. "Oh, yes, I forgot you called me that before." I held back a sigh, wincing.

"You'll get used to it the longer you hang out with all of us," Vio said.

Melva nodded, grinning widely. "Yep, it's protocol! We got the klutz, the shrimp, the stick, an' me," she pointed to herself, "the badass."

"Substitute that last one with 'loudmouth,' and then it's accurate," Vio said, smiling kindly as Melva flipped him off, still grinning herself. Llyr's eyes widened at that, but his gaze dropped to the table when Vio spoke again. "Do you want anything to drink, Llyr?" he asked, to which Llyr nodded.

"I'll take a glass of strawberry wine if they have any," he said.

Melva scoffed, shaking her head. "They don't have any 'o that weak shit 'ere," she said. "Ya might as well drink sugar water if ya want that!"

Llyr cringed, his face reddening. "Then I'll pass," he said. "Even though sugar water isn't half-bad really. It's good for giving you energy if you're not a coffee person."

"Oh yeah, I forgot ya like eatin' weird shit," Melva chuckled. "Guess if ya smother everythin' in spices all the time, ya get used to the strange stuff."

"Spices have nothing to do with it. It's just the preparation in general," Llyr said. "Preparation can completely change the way a dish tastes."

That seemed to just amuse Melva even more. "Then I bet ya love Len's cookin' then, don't ya?" She aimed a smirk at me. "Nearly ate raw meat once 'cause he didn't cook it long enough."

I couldn't help but feel embarrassed myself. That was only one time, I'd learned since then! And at least I knew how to properly cook vegetables now. "You're one to talk!" I said, trying to smile. "If anything, we're both equally bad at cooking."

Vio raised his hands, shaking his head. "Calm down, you two," he said. "I think we can all agree that the only thing weaker than myself in general is my cooking."

"See, I'd tell ya to shut up with that kinda talk, but you're right 'bout that," Melva said, then glanced at Llyr. "Why don't ya be the judge, stick? We'll all cook somethin', an' ya try it."

Llyr went rigid as all attention turned to him. "Um, see, there's a difference between bizarre flavors and outright bad cooking," he said in a purposefully polite tone. "And I'm not that good either, so I wouldn't be a good judge anyways."

Melva barked out a loud, brash laugh. "Then we're all fucked with that, aren't we?" Vio and I let out small, nervous laughs while Llyr seemed determined to disappear into the corner completely.

"H-how about I just get our drinks?" he squeaked out. He quickly got up and headed to the bar counter, desperate to escape the awkwardness. Melva watched him go, an eyebrow raised while I couldn't help but bury my face in my palm.

"No offense, but ya picked a weird one, kid," Melva said to me. "An' I was tryin' to make him feel more included too."

"Mel, you know everyone's not... equipped to deal with your personality. You could have just let him sit by and listen," Vio said, sighing. "This is what you did last time..."

Melva elbowed me, jabbing a thumb at me as she did so. "Hey, he wasn't either when we first met, but lookit 'im now!"

"To be fair to Llyr, I basically grew up around you," I said. "I've had over a decade to get to know you." I didn't want to say "get accustomed to," because that definitely would've come off as rude.

Melva shrugged. "Maybe he should've started hangin' with us sooner. Len's known the stick for like four years now, why hasn't he?"

"Because you terrified him that first time!" Vio hissed. He was right, but I held back from voicing my agreement. The only reason Llyr hadn't minded delving with me and Melva before was because he could get lost in his work for one, but he wasn't around Melva the entire day. Being with her in close quarters was different.

Melva looked nonplussed. "If he's gonna hang with us, he's gotta get used to shit 'round 'ere," she said.

"At least he isn't bothered by your nickname?" I said.

"He better be, 'cause I tried to give 'im a nicer one," Melva said, rolling her eyes. For what I hoped was the better, Llyr came back then. He held two tankards of ale in one hand and a pair of water glasses in the other. "Now we're talkin'," Melva said cheerily, taking one of the ales before Llyr could set anything down.

Once everyone had their drinks, Vio started talking, just as thankful as I was to shift topics. "Okay, so the next Fourth Layer delve I was planning on attending is going to take place in about a month. It's going to be a sort of mixed-goal delve, with both field research and Relic-hunting taking place."

"Remind me why we wanna go through the guild for this?" Melva asked.

"Stability, in a sense. A lot of Delvers don't like guild delves because of how planned everything is, but I have a feeling that's what you want," Vio replied. "Since this is going to be a guild-sanctioned delve, we all need to go register for it as soon as possible. Of course, you need to already be a Black Whistle when you register."

A small sigh escaped Llyr. "I figured that was the case," he said. "With my current progress, I don't think I can do it in a month. But... I'll try my best to. It'd be rude to not uphold my half of the offer, after all."

"Then there shouldn't be any other issues with this," Vio said. "I suggest beginning preparations right now if you can. Having several changes of clothes is naturally advisable, but have only one or two uniforms you'll wear every day once we're on the Fourth Layer. We all know by now that blood doesn't come out easily, and I don't think you'll want all of your clothes to be ruined." He said this with a smile in a joking manner, even if it was strained.

"Like I don't halfta deal with that shit every month," Melva said, rolling her eyes.

A grimace momentarily splinted across Vio's face. "It's just a suggestion," he said.

"And it's a good one. Thank you, Vio," Llyr said. "I-I'd like to hear any other advice you have if you're willing to give it. My parents and grandparents never went to the Fourth Layer, so I'll be the first Delver in our family to go down that far."

Just like that, Vio's grimace was gone, replaced with one of his usual calm smiles. "Of course! I'll tell you everything I can," he said cheerfully.

Melva sighed, leaning back in her chair. "Then I'm gettin' another round," she said. "Don't worry, I'm still listenin'." She then looked at Vio, frowning. "Don't... bring it up if ya can help it," she said quietly.

"I won't," Vio said. Llyr looked confused but didn't ask while I nervously cast my gaze to the table. In an instant, silence fell over the table, stifling in spite of the other bar-goers around us. Even as a nervousness of my own filled me, I still tried to speak up in a bright voice.

"Um, come on everyone, we should pick up the mood," I said. "We're going on a delve together, into the unknown for most of us! Let's save the melancholy for another time." I grabbed my cup and held it up. "To the Fourth Layer?"

The others shared glances, though Llyr was the first to raise his drink. "To the Fourth Layer," he said, trying to smile. It seemed to be a cue for Melva and Vio as they raised their tankards. Relief hit me when a smirk slid back onto Melva's face, and all of us toasted. "To the Fourth Layer," we all echoed. And for a moment, I felt content with everything.

"Oh, one last thing I almost forgot to mention," Vio said. "I can already tell you the time estimation for this delve is going to be about four months, it all depends on what happens." His gaze went to me following that statement, and I could tell Melva was looking at me too, even if she was off to my left.

"I've already accepted that," I said simply.

"Even with what Aedia might say?" Vio added.

"While she'll be worried, I know she'll be happy for me," I said. "She's honestly been wanting this for me as much as I have." I could imagine the conversation we'd have. She would be upset at first, but it wouldn't take long for her to become happy for me. After all, I was letting my curiosity carry me again, and I'd return with stories of my own. And I was right. The moment I told her when I got home, her eyes welled up, but she smothered any tears in my shirt as she hugged me. "Are you sure you're fine with this?" I asked.

"Yeah, and you're not gonna back out, I won't let you," she said. So much for it being my choice then, wasn't it? "I kinda knew you'd say you would eventually. It was just a matter of time until you said so."

"I'll do all I can to stay safe," I said. "I wish I could promise you that, but..."

"I know, you don't halfta say it." She sighed, though it ultimately didn't belie the smile on her face as she looked up at me. "That's all you can really do sometimes."

—~*~—

After that night, it was just a matter of hoping Llyr got his black whistle. Because of that, he all but vanished from Morgan's, instead focusing on delving with his parents and aunt taking over. In the meantime, I personally shifted the topics of my research. Usually I'd look into everything relating to the Abyss, but now I made my focus the Fourth Layer.

I never realized how little about the layer's ecology had been published until Llyr mentioned it. It wasn't like the guild was willing to share everything with me either, so like usual, I had to take things into my own hands. I hunted down every Black Whistle I could find, though most weren't willing to share much information with me. However, there were some recurring notes I heard across those who did talk with me.

As I expected, the enormous amagiri stalks would be the main method of traversing the upper sections of the layer. It seemed that the caps themselves were actually separate plants called flat-creepers, and the amagiri supported them. Then near the edges of the Fourth Layer were supposedly rivers and thick forest similar to that of the Forest of Temptation, and closer to the bottom of the Fourth Layer it wasn't uncommon to see crystals and exposed geodes among the greenery.

Then there was the layer's curse: pain throughout the body along with the unsavory aspect of bleeding from every orifice. The bleeding on its own wasn't fatal, but coupled with prior blood loss and injuries that had ruptured veins and blood vessels, it could become fatal. The pain was internal, like severe cramps from every part of the body that could feel pain. Its intensity varied from each person I asked, so I chalked it up to pain threshold. Mine was fairly high, so I could only hope the pain wouldn't be debilitating enough for me to not be able to move. I doubted it.

If I had learned this information a week ago, it would have filled me with dread. This truly would be a daunting delve. And although it still did, there was the excited racing of my heart and flutter in my stomach to counter it. Now this was more like what I had read about in my stories, the wild and true unknown.

I found out Llyr had gotten his black whistle the day he received it, only a week before the Fourth Layer delve was scheduled to depart. He took it upon himself to come to the clinic so he could tell me, which was a pleasant surprise. A nervous but giddy happiness was radiating from him as he spoke, even if he still didn't meet mine or Aedia's eyes. I was obviously happy for him, even more so for what this meant. I told Melva and Vio the next day, and we all got ourselves spots on the list.

Before I knew it, it was the day of the delve. Aedia all but forced me to go to sleep at a reasonable time the previous night when I insisted on checking over my gear one last time. We were supposed to meet at the gateway to the Abyss as soon as the sun was visible over Orth's east ridge, so I was up even earlier than usual making up for what I didn't do last night. I had another nightmare anyways, so it wasn't like I had any desire to try and sleep another hour or two. Although I had breakfast alone, I decided to make some coffee for when Aedia woke up. It didn't take her long to get up afterwards, with the rich scent of the coffee filling the upstairs.

"Good morning," I greeted her when she entered the kitchen. I'd already poured a cup for her and left it on the counter, sitting next to the cream and sugar she always added.

"Morning," she echoed, glancing to the nearby open window. The sky was turning pink and orange, silhouetting the buildings in navy blue. "Don't you have to leave in a few minutes?" she asked. "You could've just woken me up so ya wouldn't have risk being late."

I shrugged, pouring myself a smaller cup. "I didn't want to wake you. My sleep schedule should be the only messed-up one in this house." We only had a couple more minutes to spend together before we had to leave, though they were mostly silent since neither of us could find anything to say. "So you know you can go to Syele if you need anything, right?" I eventually said. "It'll be like before you reopened the clinic."

Aedia nodded, sighing. "You don't need to tell me. I know you're still worried, and I am too."

"It's something that will never go away," I said. "I just have to accept that." I made sure to put emphasis on that, so Aedia wouldn't interpret it as anything aimed towards her.

Another nod from Aedia as she took a sip from her mug. "But you're excited?"

A sheepish smile crept onto my face. "You have no idea," I said truthfully. "I haven't been this excited for anything in years."

"Again, I'm happy you are." She looked at the window again at the ever-lightening sky. "Really, though, you should get goin'. Don't wanna make a bad impression, right?"

"Definitely not," I said with a shake of my head. This would be the first delve I went on with people besides Melva, Llyr, or Vio. Another reason to make me nervous, but it'd be interesting at the very least. I finished up my coffee and went to go grab my backpack, which was sitting by the door to the stairs. "I'll miss you, Addy."

"Hopefully you will." She jumped up and gave me a quick hug, holding on tightly. "Be as safe as you can, and you'd better bring me something back. If it's not a Relic, then maybe some plants that look like they could be used for medicine. Unless Llyr takes them all."

"That's something I can promise," I said, smiling. And Aedia smiled back.

For once, Orth's streets were mostly empty with only faint murmurs of life about. This fortunately made travel quick. Well, as quick as it could be with my weighed-down backpack. I met with Melva, Llyr, and Vio at the crossroads where Melva and I usually met. Melva was the most alert one out of the three, calling out to me with an exclamation that startled Vio out of his half-doze and startled Llyr in general. From there, it was a quick walk to the gateway.

Gathered by the gateway was a small group of Delvers, about five or so. The group was supposed to be an even twelve, with the four of us pushing that number to its limit with our late signup. We were a little early, so all we had to do was wait for the rest to arrive.

As we approached the group, a sturdily-built man with dark hair and skin stepped out to meet us. He seemed to exude an air of authority that told me he was likely the leader of the group. "Are you four here for the guild delve?" he asked. Vio responded for us, and the man nodded. "My name is Shiro Konn, and I'll be leading this delve. I recognize you, Mr. Faite, but you three are..?" We told him our names, and he made checks in a small notebook he had on his person. "You." I looked at him, and he pointed at me. "Can you see out of that eye?" I froze for a second, my mouth opening to reply when Melva spoke up first.

"Are ya shittin' me right now? 'Course he can," she said. "He wouldn't've signed up for this if he couldn't, would he?"

Shiro frowned at Melva, his eyes narrowing. "I need to make sure, that's all."

"And that's reasonable," I said, loudly so the man could hear me. "I'm nearsighted in general, though I have that issue taken care of." I tapped my goggles. "But I do have limited sight in my left eye. It's an old injury, so I've had years to get used to it."

Shiro nodded, looking satisfied. "That checks out with what your record says. I've also noticed you're rather young for a Black Whistle, both you and Morgan. It'll be interesting to see why you earned this rank so young." Why he asked was perfectly understandable, though of course Melva didn't see it that way. Vio seemed to sense her lingering hostility and tried to start some mindless conversation, trying to take her mind off things. It only lasted for a minute or so, however, as I overheard some of the other Black Whistles talking.

"Oh, great, one of these," said a woman to a man standing next to her as he nodded. She was a bit younger than Melva with a delicate face and pale skin that looked uncharacteristically youthful for a Delver. The exception to that was a pair of identical scars that carved across her cheek from her right ear to the corner of her mouth. Her male companion was more weathered than her, looking his age with sandy-colored hair that paired well with his pale blue eyes that had a nervous look in them, a lean face, and somewhat unkempt stubble.

In an instant, Melva cut herself off and whirled to face the woman. A scowl warped her face in seconds. "What did ya just say?" she growled. "If you're talkin' 'bout my friend, I'll shove your head so far up your ass ya can see out your damn mouth."

"Mel, stop it," Vio warned. As he spoke, the scarred woman leaned closer to her companion, muttering something under her breath. He pursed his lips and nodded, looking more worried than angry like she was. Melva's sharp hearing couldn't pick up on the words, but she still saw the woman was talking.

"What are ya, eight?" she spat. "Stop actin' like I don't know you're talkin' shit."

Again Vio tried to speak up, his voice strained. "Mel, really, stop it. People like them have no place on a delve, but we still need to coexist with them. Even Bell didn't say—" Melva ignored him, about to say something else. The woman then turned back to Melva, giving her a cold glare.

"So we have both a runt and a cripple?" she said plainly. "That was what I said."

Melva took a threatening step towards the woman, intentionally looking down at her. "You're one to talk, ya damn rat." Melva drew her finger across her face, tracing the path of the woman's scars. "Lemme guess, it was a Hammerbeak? I'd like to give ya more credit for whatever ya got into a fight with, but I don't think that was the case."

"Hey!" Shiro barked. "Don't make enemies with those you're going to spend the next few months with," he said, glaring at both Melva and the scarred woman.

Melva scoffed, making a show of cracking her knuckles. "Then maybe she shouldn't have—" She stopped when I grabbed her arm. Even as I was faced with her glower, I gave her a pleading look.

"Please, Melva. I-it's fine," I said. The stares of the two other Delvers bore into me as I spoke, and while irritation seared in me for what they said, I wasn't about to let them know I felt that way. "I know I can handle myself, even if they don't think so, and that's all that matters." Melva's glare lingered a moment longer before it dissolved into dissatisfaction, a sigh slipping from her lips.

"If ya say so, kid," she said before dropping her voice to a low grumble. "But if any of 'em say anythin' else, ya can't stop me from kickin' their asses. Ya shouldn't halfta put up with that kinda shit." She tossed another glare at the scarred woman before striking up a conversation with Vio, purposefully putting her back to the other Delvers.

"Don't tell me this was a mistake already..." I heard Llyr mutter. This whole time he'd been lingering near the edge of the group, watching everything unfold.

"It's not," I quietly reassured him. "It's just... another Melva thing. Now you can see why she doesn't like delving with other people." I tried to say this jokingly, and thankfully Llyr smiled.

"You'll have to teach me the finer details about which of Melva's buttons shouldn't be pushed," he said.

"We'll definitely have enough time for a week or two," I said, noticing movement in my peripherie. A few more Black Whistles were heading down the street towards us, and I could only guess they were part of our delving party. It seemed like we would finally be heading out, and my thoughts were confirmed when Shiro cleared his throat.

"Now that everyone seems to be here, I'll explain where we're aiming for today," he started. "By the end of the day, we should be at the bottom of the First Layer. We'll make camp in the upper fringes of the Forest of Temptation near the western rim. There are no excuses for getting left behind or lost today. Is that clear?" We all agreed, and with no further word, he passed through the gateway. We followed after him, though I couldn't help but take another look at the city around me. This wouldn't be my last look, I'd make sure of it.

——————————~*~——————————
More fanart from my good friend RosettaThorn, and it's of Aedia as a plague doctor! Somehow she manages to still look adorable!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro