Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

MY LITTLE DOVE.

(chapter nine, may the games begin)

the academy / snow penthouse, 2248. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  

HEAVENSBEE HALL WAS EMPTY when Dorothy, Coriolanus, and Lysistrata entered. No lights had been turned on and it was only the late rays of the evening that slipped through the window. The only sound was the echo of their shoes as the remaining mentors gathered on the balcony.

"The thing is," Lysistrata whispered to Dorothy as they stared down at their tributes. "I've become rather attached to Jessup. He did save my life in the bombing."

Dorothy nodded solemnly. She had heard how Jessup saved Lysistrata's life in the bombing, throwing his body over hers. With this in mind, she muttered, "I don't want Sabyn to die. They all deserve better."

"They do."

As they all walked to their respective tables, Dorothy did try hard to keep the tears from flowing when she sat across from Sabyn. She looked better than what she did. She was in a clean dress, the soot and blood gone from her skin, the bloody bandage on her upper arm was gone, and the cut on her cheek was healing nicely just like the one on Dorothy's.

"Here," Dorothy said glumly as she slid the box and cardigan over. "These are for you."

"Goodness, rich girl." Sabyn looked in awe as she opened the box, looking at the meal. "This is a lot."

"Well, anything for you." Dorothy smiled at her. "And the cardigan is to keep you warm during nights. It's from my own wardrobe."

"I'll be sure to return it."

"No, no." Dorothy chuckled. "You keep it, Sabyn. It doesn't fit me anymore, I wore it when I was twelve."

"Well, thank you." Sabyn nodded sadly. "I'll take good care of it."

Dorothy looked at Sabyn as the girl started eating bits from the box, snuggling into the cardigan as she did. Dorothy did not miss the hint of tears that travelled down Sabyn's cheek.

"Oh, Sabyn," Dorothy whispered as she reached forward and grabbed her hand, squeezing it. "If I could give you the world, I would. I just wish, maybe, in another life, we could be united."

Sabyn looked up at her, tears still rolling down as she tried to figure out what to say, her brows furrowing before she gave Dorothy's hand a squeeze, saying, "You have a heart, Dorothy Snow. You were one of the only ones that came to the station. You've given me food. You don't hate me because I'm a district. You've given me everything without hesitation. You've treated me like a human being. And only a person with a heart would do that... don't lose that, Dorothy. Don't lose that to be some power-hungry, rich girl. Because you're not like that."

Whilst any person would have waved the compliment off, blushing and giggling, Dorothy didn't. Instead, tears filled her eyes as she stood up, embracing Sabyn as she did. 

The difference between Sabyn and Dr Gaul was that the crazy old lady had Dorothy convinced that she could become something powerful one day, that she could do great things with her strength and nobility. But Sejanus and Sabyn had told Dorothy that she had a heart, that she was just manipulated by those around her. That she shouldn't lose it to become something she wasn't. That made tears roll down Dorothy's cheek as she drew back from Sabyn.

"God, it's supposed to be me crying, not you!" Sabyn laughed.

"You're going to win, Sabyn." Dorothy grabbed her shoulders. "You are going to kick their asses."

"I will. For you." Sabyn nodded.

And whilst Dorothy was crying, she managed to see something in the background. Coriolanus and Lucy Gray were tangled in an embrace, their lips on each other as they kissed. It was not a simple peck, but a real kiss.

"Well..." Sabyn hummed as she looked at the scene. "I can kiss you if you want."

"Sabyn, I love you, dear." Dorothy shook her head with laughter as a Peacekeeper led Lucy Gray away. "But no."

"Your loss." Sabyn shrugged as she too got led away by two Peacekeepers. "I'll win. For you!"

Dorothy watched as Sabyn and the other tributes were led out of the Hall, leaving Festus to come up beside her as he said, "I lay a hand on Coral and she tries to break my wrist... Coriolanus gives Lucy Gray a present and she kisses him."

"What?" Dorothy laughed as she looked up at the boy. "You want to get kissed by Lucy Gray?"

"Shove off." Festus chuckled as he shook his head. "You know who I want to be kissed by."

"Persephone?"

"You know it."

And whilst Dorothy was happy for her brother, it was not like him and Lucy Gray could be together anyway. He was Capitol and she was district. They could not be together. And then, Coriolanus had made it clear that he wasn't interested in the girls in their school. 

It was when Tigris had fallen hard in her final year of the Academy. She was reluctant to bring her love home due to the state the Snows' were in, since keeping their situation a secret was top priority. Her reluctance had been taken as a lack of commitment and ended in a breakup. And so, Coriolanus had taken the incident as a warning to not become too infatuated with someone. Plenty of their classmates had been interested in him, but he had kept them at arm's length. For Dorothy, she always wanted love, something she confessed to Sejanus. She wanted someone to love her for her, to not care for their state. Of course, if she were to bring a boy home, Coriolanus would kick him out in attempts to hide their situation. 

But any notions of love were dismissed the moment the morning of the Hunger Games arrived. And whilst Dorothy wanted to curl up in bed, she needed to go to the Capitol News with Coriolanus for the pre-show. The walk there was silent as one thing was on the twin's minds. Sabyn and Lucy Gray could be dead in a matter of hours. 

"Good morning, Snows," Dr Gaul's voice greeted from where she stood. Dorothy had the nerve to go get a snake and shove it down her shirt as someone applied light makeup to her face.

"We hear there was quite a touching scene where you parted from your tribute last night, Mr Snow." Dean Highbottom, for some reason, was by Dr Gaul's side.

"As Dr Gaul pointed out, emotions are running high."

"Yes, it's too bad she's not likely to last the day," Dr Gaul murmured before turning to Dorothy. "What about you, Miss Snow? Do you think your tribute can last the day?"

"I do, Dr Gaul," Dorothy said proudly. "She may not look it, but she is strong."

"Yes, we heard about how she won that fight in the monkey house." Dr Gaul nodded. "Remarkable for someone her size."

Before Dr Gaul could say anymore, Remus Dolittle, a Gamemaker-in-training and a downstairs neighbour to the Snow family, came in to inform them that the boy from Five passed away in the night due to asthma complications. They left to go address his loss whilst Dorothy tried to think of who the boy's mentor was. The name Dennis Fling came to mind. Dorothy didn't know who he was. 

The only mentors who were invited to appear on the pre-show was those who'd participated on the interview night. They had, by default, become the Capitol faces of the Games even though most of their tributes were long shots to win. But nonetheless, a corner of the studio had been fitted with living room chairs, a coffee table, and a crooked chandelier. Most of the mentors rehashed their tributes' backgrounds, playing any dangerous elements they could. 

But since Dorothy and Coriolanus had devoted most of their interviews to their tributes, they really were the only ones who had a lot to talk about. Dorothy spent most of her time talking about how Sabyn really was a special girl and that she was in the running to win. She mentioned about the fight in the monkey house and whilst it shocked Lucky, he said it was predictable. Dorothy made note to say that despite her smallness, Sabyn was a tough girl. 

And then, the reason for Dean Highbottom's presence was clear when he joined Lucky for an interview. He managed to discuss the mentor-tribute program without looking like he was drugged. He noted that the Capitol students had begun with certain prejudices against their district counterparts, but in the two weeks since the Reaping, many had formed a new appreciation and respect for them. And for the first time, Dorothy had to stifle a laugh as she watched Dean Highbottom. Lucky was doing magic tricks on him and the entire time, the dean was deadpanned. It, for some reason, was amusing to watch.

Cars were waiting to take them back to the Academy and somehow, Dorothy found herself wedged between Coriolanus and Dean Highbottom as he spoke to Felix Ravinstill, the president's great-nephew. The two knew each other very well and so Dorothy and Coriolanus had to endure their gossiping. But that was until Felix was distracted and they were headed into the hall that Dorothy felt a hand on her shoulder.

"You know that friend of yours from Two?" Dean Highbottom asked her. "The emotional one?"

"Yes..." Dorothy said unsurely. "Sejanus Plinth.

"Mm, well you might want to find him a seat near the door." The dean went behind a nearby pillar and began to dose himself up with morphling drops. But before Dorothy could even question him, Satyria led them through the hall, which was buzzing with excitement.

At a table, a Gamemaker gave them all bright yellow badges with the word Mentor stitched on it to wear around their necks. And then the mentors that still had tributes in the Games were given communicuffs. They buckled onto their wrist and featured a small screen where the tally of sponsor gifts blinked in red. All they had to do was scroll down the list of food items, select one from the menu for the Gamemakers to set its delivery by drone. 

"Dottie?" Lysistrata called out to Dorothy. "Want to sit by us?"

"Yeah, of course."

Lysistrata and Coriolanus were sitting at the back of the mentor seats and so, with no-one to sit with, Dorothy wondered over to her best friend and brother. As she settled herself in, she turned her attention to the big screen where Lucky Flickerman was giving background information about the districts, hinted with weather facts and a few magic trick. Dorothy wondered how in the world he, the stupid weatherman, got the job of hosting the Hunger Games. 

"You're an idiot," Lysistrata muttered as Lucky made some stupid joke. But then something caught her eye. "That must've been an awful flu."

Dorothy followed her eyes and found Clemensia collecting her communicuff. And when she glanced at her and Coriolanus, she didn't look happy. She looked a tad better than what she did when she scared the life out of Dorothy, but not excellent. The bright yellow of her eyes had faded to a pale pollen shade and a long-sleeved, high-collared, white blouse hid the scaly area. She picked at the dry patches of her face and her tongue was keen on poking her cheek. When she stood directly in-front of the twins, Dorothy swallowed a lump in her throat.

"Thanks for visiting, Dottie...Coryo."

"We meant to, Clemmie, we were pretty beat-up—" Coriolanus tried to say.

"Thanks for contacting my parents. Thanks for letting them know where I was," Clemensia interrupted him, eyeing Dorothy.

"We knew where you were, Clem," Lysistrata said, bemused. "They said you couldn't have visitors because you were contagious. I tried to call once, but they said you were sleeping."

"And we did try, Clem," Dorothy told her softly. If she were to lie to her then so be it. Visiting Clemensia did actually slip her mind, but she had to know that Dorothy was going crazy stressing about her. "I tried to visit you just after I got discharged, but they wouldn't allow it. I'm sorry."

"Yeah." Coriolanus nodded. "And as to your parents, the doctors promised they were on the way. If I was wrong, I'm sorry. As I said, we've been recovering ourselves."

"Really?" Clemensia asked. "You two looked top-notch at the interview. You two and your tributes."

"Easy, Clem," Festus said, who had heard most of the conversation. "It's not their fault you got sick."

"Oh, shut up, Festus. You have no idea what you're talking about!"

"What's her problem?" Festus scoffed as Clemensia stormed off, the boy settling beside Lysistrata. "Other than she looks like she's moulting."

"Oh, who knows?" Lysistrata sighed. "We're all a mess."

"Still, that isn't like her. I wonder what—"

"Sejanus!" Coriolanus suddenly called out, pointing to the empty seat beside Dorothy. "Over here!"

"Thanks." Sejanus sighed as he sat down beside Dorothy. He looked very unwell as well as completely exhausted, a sheet of sweat on his forehead.

"It'll be okay," Dorothy told him quietly, reaching over and holding his hand. He faintly smiled as he looked down at her hand cupping his. "It'll be over soon."

"Until next year," Sejanus reminded her as he gave her hand a squeeze. But Dorothy did not remove her hand. She knew Sejanus needed something to hold onto and so, she positioned her hand for their fingers to interlock. Sejanus let out a sigh of relief.

But really, it was Dorothy that needed something to hold onto, for she felt the nerves increase as she heard Lucky announce, "Ladies and gentleman... let the Tenth Hunger Games begin!"

A wide shot of the arena's interior was put on screen and the fifteen remaining tributes were positioned in a large circle, waiting for the gong. But no-one paid attention to the tributes, or to the weapons strewn on the ground, or the wreckage from the bombing. Everyone's eyes were on the pair of steel poles not far from the main entrance of the arena. They were high in the air, joined by a crossbeam of similar length. And in the centre of the structure was Marcus, hanging from manacles, so battered and bloody that Dorothy was sure he was dead. But his swollen lips began to move, showing that he was still alive. 

Dorothy let out a breath of horror as she looked over to Sejanus, who was shaking with rage. But the moment Dorothy tried to speak to him, he yanked his hand away, springing up from his seat as he ran forward. In the mentor section, there was some empty chairs and so, Sejanus grabbed one on the corner and hurled it toward the screen, smashing it into the image of Marcus's face.

"Monsters!" Sejanus yelled. "You're all monsters here!" He then dashed down the aisle and out the main entrance.

Dorothy was torn between following Sejanus and watching Sabyn when suddenly, the gong went off and all the tributes scattered. Some fled to the tunnels whilst others went straight to the middle, Sabyn included. Dorothy had to grip her own hand as she watched the girl pick up a handful of weapons, Tanner, Coral, and Jessup beside her. And whilst Reaper was ready to fight, the others quickly ran. Sabyn sprinted with Coral. She had found an ally, but Dorothy managed to see the pain on her face as she looked up at Marcus. 

With all the tributes gone, Lucky did a quick ad about the sponsors, but after half an hour, a tribute finally emerged. It was Pliny's tribute Lamina from Seven. 

"That's Lamina!" Pliny told Livia as the two sat a few rows in-front of Dorothy.

"Now we see fifteen-year-old Lamina from District Seven," Lucky said, his voice hushed as if any loudness could set anything off. "Mentored by our own Pliny Harrington. District Seven has the honour of providing the Capitol with the lumber used to repair our beloved arena."

Lamina studied Marcus as the breeze flew through her blonde hair. Dorothy raised a brow at what she was doing, which was choosing a weapon from the centre. She chose a knife and then a small axe, testing its sharpness with her thumb. She then stuck the knife in her belt as she tested the axe. Satisfied, Lamina wondered over to one of the poles, securing the axe handle in her mouth before beginning to climb it. 

When reaching the top, Lamina slid the axe into her belt as she began to walk it with ease considering it was six inches in width. She then stood above Marcus before straddling the beam, her ankles locked for support as she leaned over him. She whispered something that the microphones couldn't hear, Marcus muttering something in response. Lamina then sat upright before bracing herself, bringing out her axe as she took a deep sigh. It took three hits of the axe in Marcus's neck to kill him and after his body went limp, Lamina regained her seat, wiping the blood away from her hands. Dorothy's heart broke for Sabyn.

"That's my girl!" Pliny cried out as he jumped up. Suddenly, he appeared on the screen as his reaction got streamed. Pliny did a fist pump in the air, beaming as hints of his eggs were seen in his braces. "First kill of the day! That's my tribute, Lamina, from District Seven." He held up his communicuff. "And my communicuff is open for business. Never too late to show your support and send a gift!"

The phone number flashed again as pings could be heard from Pliny's communicuff. "Thank you! Well, I think she deserves a little something, don't you?"

He did something on his communicuff, but Dorothy didn't stay to see what he sent to Lamina. She figured that it would be a very slow start to the Games and so, she got up from her seat and wondered through the exit. She knew Sejanus probably wanted to be alone, but Dorothy figured he needed someone to be there for him. He needed to know what happened to Marcus. 

Dorothy squinted at how bright the sun was when she exited the Academy and soon realised that Sejanus probably went home, but she soon saw his silhouette sitting on the steps, head in hands.

"You've been out here the entire time?" Dorothy mumbled as she slowly approached him, sitting down beside Sejanus. He didn't answer, instead just nodded his head. "Sejanus... it was quick."

"What was?"

"Marcus's... death." Dorothy's voice cracked. "Lamina from Seven, Pliny's tribute... it was a mercy kill."

"Did Marcus want it?"

"He did." Dorothy nodded. "Sejanus, I—"

"They're so cruel," Sejanus interrupted her. He lifted his head and his eyes were brimming with tears, some already rolling down his cheeks. "They're all cruel. How can they do that to a person? They did it to Brandy... to the bodies of those killed in the bombing... to Marcus."

Dorothy didn't know what to say. Instead, she placed a consoling hand on his back. But soon, Sejanus lurched forward and embraced Dorothy, nestling his head into her shoulder as he sobbed. And all Dorothy could do was coo into his ear, run her hand through his hair, let him cry. But one thing Dorothy learned in that moment was that she would never watch Sejanus Plinth cry again. She wasn't like Coriolanus, who wouldn't even try and console his friend. She wasn't even sure if the two were friends, but one thing that she knew was that she would never treat Sejanus Plinth like he's dirt. Dorothy would try hard to make sure that the boy never cried again.

"Has anything happened?" Sejanus asked her quietly as he withdrew from their embrace.

"No," Dorothy said, shaking her head. "All the tributes are hiding. The only person outside is Lamina and Reaper."

"Okay..." Sejanus sighed, his breath shaky. "Is Sabyn all right?"

"I think so." Dorothy tried to smile. "She's got a few weapons and she's allied with Coral... Festus's tribute."

"That's good..." Sejanus wiped his tears away. "I do remember Sabyn."

"She said you didn't know who she was."

"I didn't really know her," Sejanus said. "But I remember seeing her around school back in Two. She was always so... I don't know... pretty and hilarious."

"Is someone developing a crush?" Dorothy teased, nudging him.

"Absolutely not." Sejanus laughed. Good, Dorothy managed to make him laugh. "But there is this one girl."

"Oh?"

"Yeah." Sejanus nodded, smiling faintly. "She doesn't like me back, though."

"She'd be stupid not to," Dorothy told him. "Who is she? Is it Persephone? If it is, you're gonna have to fight Festus. He's developed a little crush on her."

"It's not Persephone." Sejanus chuckled. "It's someone better."

"Do I know her?"

"No, you don't," Sejanus said. "But she's beautiful, and she's nice and considerate, she's funny. And she's insanely smart. But she has a massive heart."

"Well, whoever she is, she'll be lucky to have you, Sejanus." Dorothy smiled.

"Thank you..."

The two sat there for a bit, looking at the sun. Dorothy found it quite peaceful sitting next to Sejanus. But that was until he abruptly stood up.

"Where are you going?" Dorothy asked him, standing up with him.

"I have to go do something," Sejanus told her briefly. 

"Oh, okay." Dorothy nodded. "Sejanus... if you ever need anything, you can always come to me."

"Thank you, Dorothy. Likewise."

Sejanus walked down the steps and out of sight, leaving Dorothy to sigh. She hoped that whatever Sejanus had to do, it wasn't stupid. With that in mind, she turned around and began to enter the Hall again. Many people turned their heads, but she ignored them as she resumed her seat beside Coriolanus, Lysistrata, and Festus.

"Is he all right?" Lysistrata asked, peering around Coriolanus to talk to her.

"He will be." Dorothy nodded her head. "Just mourning I think."

Lysistrata sighed before resuming her attention to the screen. The arena was shrunk to a small window at the corner of the screen, Lucky giving more district background and some weather reports. He seemed to be struggling maintaining an entertaining Games, for nothing was happening. Dorothy felt quite bad for the man when Tanner climbed up, strolling around the top row of the arena, for Lucky immediately threw the broadcast back, but the boy only sat in the sun for a few minutes before disappearing again.

But then, a man called Lepidus Malmsey came strolling through the aisle with a camera crew behind him. Coriolanus told Dorothy he was with Capitol News, being the chief reporter in charge of covering the Games. He invited Pliny to join him, their interview going live. And of course, Pliny fabricated every single detail he said to the reporter. But it didn't stop with Pliny, there was brief informational interviews with some mentors. When the lunch break came, everyone was happy to get out of their seats. 

"This has to be the most boring Games yet," Dorothy muttered to Festus as the pair made their way to the bacon sandwiches.

"Honestly." Festus sighed. "I think Gaul's failing at making more people watch."

"Maybe they should consider your mandatory idea." Dorothy chuckled.

"Hey, I'm happy to help."

Even with lunch break over, nothing happened. The only thing to occur was a few tribute sightings (none was Sabyn) and a squad of carrion birds circling above Marcus. Lamina managed to cut away his restraints enough to send him falling to the ground. For this, Pliny sent her a slice of bread. Then, she stretched out on her stomach, tying a rope around her, and going to sleep. The only interesting thing that happened was when five o'clock neared and Lucky introduced Dr Gaul.

"What gives, Head Gamemaker?"

"Some of you may be wondering about the slow start to the Games, but let me remind you what a wild ride it's been just getting here," Dr Gaul said as she stared at the camera, ignoring Lucky. "Nearly a third of the tributes never made it into the arena, and those who did, for the most part, weren't exactly the powerhouses. In terms of fatalities, we're running neck and neck with last year."

"Yes, that's true," Lucky said. "But I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, where are the tributes this year? Usually they're easier to spot."

"Perhaps you've forgotten about the recent bombing," Dr Gaul told him. "In previous years, the areas open to the tributes were largely restricted to the field and the stands, but last week's attack opened up any number of cracks and crevices, providing easy access to the labyrinth of tunnels inside the walls of the arena. It's a whole new Games, first finding another tribute and then ferreting them out of some very dark corners."

"Oh. So we might have seen the last of some tributes?"

"Don't worry. When they get hungry, they'll start poking their heads out." Dr Gaul smiled. "That's another game changer. With the audience providing food, the Games could last indefinitely."

"Bloody hell..." Festus groaned in his seat beside Lysistrata.

At exactly five, Dean Highbottom sent the students home, but the mentors with tributes still stayed. This was because their communicuffs only worked at the Academy or the Capitol News station. 

At seven, dinner appeared for them. There was pork chops and potatoes soaked in gravy with beans as well as blueberry tarts and cream for dessert. It made Dorothy's mouth water and so, she loaded her plate up. But as she did, she wondered if Sabyn was hungry. Dorothy should have sent her something, but she figured the drone would draw her location out considering her and Coral haven't popped up yet. Festus agreed with Dorothy and the two decided to work together since their tributes were allies and so, the seats changed with Coriolanus and Lysistrata sitting together and then Festus and Dorothy. 

The only activity that happened was when Io Jasper's District Three boy, Circ, crawled out of the barricade near the entrance. He looked around before waving someone in. A small, frizzy-haired girl was soon by his side.

"No worries, my sweet Lamina," Pliny said to the screen as his tribute opened one eye to look at them. "Those two couldn't climb a stepladder." Lamina agreed since she adjusted herself to be in a more comfortable position. 

And then, Lucky came up in the corner of the screen, looking as if someone interrupted his dinner as he gave some background information about the pair from Three. "And the girl's name is... Teslee! Teslee from Three! And she's being mentored by our own... that would be our own..."

"Oh, make an effort," Urban Canville grumbled from the first row, Festus snickering. 

"Our own Turban Canville!" 

"Urban, not Turban!" Urban groaned. "Honestly, could they get a professional?"

"Unfortunately, we did not see Turban and Teslee at the interview—"

"Because she refused to speak to me!"

"Somehow immune to his charms," Festus said, causing the back row to laugh as Dorothy chuckled, shaking her head. 

Urban and Io was in the process of sending the pair food when suddenly, Circ and Teslee's hands began to work on the broken drones near Marcus's body. As Circ removed a rectangular object and Teslee reattached some wires, both drones blinked.

"Oh, my!" Lucky grinned. "Something exciting happening here!"

"It would be more exciting if they had the controllers," Urban mumbled.

"He really can't take anything positive, can he?" Festus asked Dorothy.

"Do you know Urban?" Dorothy whispered back. "He gets angry so easily."

"It's kinda funny, though." Festus chuckled. 

Two more drones flew in and dropped some bread and water, but as they picked it up, Reaper appeared. When they saw him, they both bolted back to the barricade, but the boy didn't seem like he would attack anyone since Dill was shivering in his arms. She looked shrunken and as she stared at the sky, a cough was accompanied with blood running out the side of her mouth. 

"Isn't he the one who promised to kill all the others?" Pliny asked as Reaper laid Dill down on a piece of charred wood.

"Doesn't look so tough to me," Urban said.

"Dill's his district partner," Dorothy told them. "Poor girl's almost dead. Tuberculosis."

People went silent at that. Tuberculosis still popped up around the Capitol and was incurable. In the districts, Dorothy heard it meant death. Because of this, Reaper paced restlessly, but then, he gave her one last pat and headed towards the barricade.

"Shouldn't you send him something?" Domitia asked Clemensia.

"What for? He didn't kill her, he just carried her," Clemensia replied. "I'm not going reward him for that."

Dorothy sighed as she heard this. She had been ignoring Clemensia all day and she figured it was for the best since the snake venom had obviously done something to her. But still, Clemensia was one of Dorothy's best friends. 

"What's up with her?" Lysistrata asked Dorothy. "She's not like herself."

"I don't know, Strata."

"Well, I might as well use what little I have," Felix said as he began to use his communicuff. "It's hers."

Two bottles of water came into the arena, but Dill was oblivious to them. Instead, the boy from Seven came rushing out, grabbing the water and soon disappearing through a large crack in the wall.

"Well, that's harsh," Felix grunted. "Might've given her one last drink."

"That's good thinking," said Vipsania Sickle, who was mentoring the boy, Treech. "Saves me money and I don't have much to work with."

Finally, Dill let out a final, grating cough. A gush of blood soaked her dress, the crimson liquid pouring from her mouth as Lucky came on and announced that she had died. With that, Felix was due to leave the Hall. "Lepidus, can we have a few last words with him from Heavensbee Hall?"

As Felix did his last words, Lucky told them all to go to sleep and to have pleasant dreams, the Gamemakers cutting to a wide shot of the arena where the silhouette of Lamina on the beam was the only thing visible. Dean Highbottom said they might as well go home, but to bring a change of clothes and a toothbrush next time. They all shook hands with Felix and they all meant it, for the day had made a new bond with the mentors.

Dorothy and Coriolanus made their way home in silence once more. Of course, the two had forgiven each other for whatever the argument had caused, but that wasn't the reason once again. They were thinking about their tributes. Dorothy did hope Sabyn would make an entrance tomorrow, for she could send her food and water. Festus had agreed and Dorothy was pleased Sabyn had chosen Coral for an alliance since she was good friends with the girl's mentor.

All Dorothy wanted to do was take a shower and go to sleep after the stressful day, but the smell of jasmine tea that was only reserved for guests entered her nose. Dorothy and Coriolanus exchanged glances before entering.

"You're such nice people," the voice of Mrs Plinth echoed around. "I'm so sorry to have dropped in on you like this."

"Any friend of the twins is a friend of us all," the Grandma'am said. "Plinch, did you say?"

"Plinth," Sejanus's mother said. "Plinth."

"You know, Grandma'am, she sent the lovely casserole when the two twins were injured," Tigris reminded the old woman.

"I'm sorry. It's too late."

"Please, don't apologise. You did exactly the right thing." Tigris patted the woman's shoulder. "Oh, here's my cousins now! Perhaps they know something."

"Mrs Plinth, what an unexpected pleasure," Coriolanus said. "Is everything all right?"

"Oh, Coriolanus, Dorothy. It isn't. Not at all. Sejanus hasn't come home. We heard he left the Academy this morning and I haven't seen him since. I'm so worried," Mrs Plinth nearly cried. "Where can he be? I know Marcus being like that hit him hard. Do you two know? Do you know where he could be? Was he upset when he left?"

Dorothy immediately thought to his outburst, to him throwing the chair, to the insults that echoed around the Hall, and then to how he cried on the steps. "He was upset, ma'am. And he said he had something to do when I checked on him. I'm sure he's just gone on a long walk or something."

"But it's so late. It isn't like him to up and disappear, not without letting his ma know."

"Is there anywhere you can think of he might go?" Tigris asked. "Or somebody he might visit?"

"No, no," Mrs Plinth said as she shook her head. "Your cousins's his only friends."

"You know, if he'd wanted company, I think he'd come to Dorothy or me first. You can see how he might have needed some time alone to... to make sense of all this," Coriolanus spoke up. "I'm sure he's all right. Otherwise you'd have heard of it."

"Did you check with the Peacekeepers?" Tigris asked.

"No sign of him."

"You see?" Coriolanus said. Dorothy begged that he would shut up. "There's been no trouble. Maybe he's even home by now."

"Perhaps you should go and check," the Grandma'am suggested. Dorothy had to refrain from rolling her eyes.

"Or you could just call," Tigris said.

"No." Mrs Plinth seemed to get the Grandma'am's hint. "Your grandma's right. Home is the place I should be. And I should let you all get to bed."

"Dorothy and Coriolanus will walk you," Tigris said as she nodded to the twins firmly.

"Of course," Dorothy said genuinely.

"My car's waiting down the block," Mrs Plinth said quietly as she patted her hair down. "Thank you. You've all been so kind."

The moment Mrs Plinth got up and Dorothy held out her arm for her, the Snow girl got a glimpse of the television, which had been turned on to show the Games. A figure had slip out of the barricade and crossed towards Lamina and whilst Dorothy thought it was a tribute finally trying to kill her, she got glimpse of who it really was. Sejanus. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro