Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

New Characters –

1) Arthur Reed – James's Father

2) Harvey Clarke – Logan's father

==========================================

A few Hours Before

"You guys are just stupid. I am going out for some fresh air." Noah leaves, taking his coat.

"Noah wait!" William shouts but to no avail. David taps on his shoulder.

"Let him be. Maybe a fresh mind will let him think more clearly."

William nods and lets him be.

Noah rushes out, his mind already working like a machine. He thought he would have been able to bury this matter quickly and easily. He thought James would be the one who would oppose and question him so he sent him away. But it back-fired him because Dylan was the one who questioned him. He wanted to use this opportunity to regain their trust.

He enters the secluded area, making sure no one followed him. He could see someone standing, with their back facing to him. He was wearing a long trench coat and a bucket hat. Noah clears his throat to make his presence felt.

"Any progress?" Harvey (Logan's father) asks in his deep voice.

"Uh...it....I am still working on it. But I might...." Noah was cut short when Harvey turned his face to him. Noah shudders at the sight of his face. Even though after years, he still couldn't bring himself to look at him in the eyes.

Harvey's face was half burnt on his right side. His skin was charred and white; his right eye had lost vision. Logan was thankful to Noah that he could save his father. But unfortunately, Logan's mother was burned to death in that horrible fire no one ever talks about.

"What is it?" Harvey asks in a deep voice.

Noah reverts his eyes back to the ground, losing eye contact from him, "A little complication."

"Is it James?" Harvey asks.

"No. I already sent him back to the USA. He might not be back before this week."

"I heard Arthur (James's father) died last night. Was it you?" Harvey asks with an interesting look on his face.

"Arthur was already battling with cancer. I just speeded up the process. And he did not die last night." Noah says with a smug look on his face, "He died five days earlier."

Harvey looks visibly stunned and impressed by Noah's planning. "How?" He couldn't help but ask.

"I got info that Arthur was hiring new staff. It wasn't difficult for me to slip in one of my men. He is very good with old people. He befriended him and gave him a tonic which accelerated his cancer growth to a point he couldn't be treated. But the risk was that Arthur had to fall into this trap without knowing anything. He was so gullible and kept my man with him all the time."

"It was easy for him to hide his death. The only problem was the odor that he took care of. I was waiting for something like this to happen and when the right moment came, I told him to call James." Noah finishes, "But.....my brother, Dylan, he is...."

"Do we?" Harvey was suggesting something but Noah shook his head.

"No. I can handle him. But now the situation is a little out of hand. I was wondering if you could help me." Noah leans in forward to whisper something in his ear.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The next morning, Dylan wakes up with a 'good morning' text from James. Of course, a heart emoticon was necessary. He gets up from his bed and goes to the kitchen to find David preparing for breakfast.

"Noah is still sleeping," David says when he saw Dylan coming.

"He came in late last night. Stop being so harsh on him." William says, rubbing his eyes as he walks out of his room.

"He is just being unreasonable." Dylan yawns as he pours cereal for himself.

"So guys, we are going to the station today right?" Clive asks.

"Yes. We will bring Logan home and talk to him." He watches Noah coming out of his bedroom and shouts the next part, "And we talk to him nicely."

"Yes. Yes. We will. I thought about it last night and we should give him some benefit of the doubt." Noah says. No one thinks much about it but Dylan still feels suspicious. It feels Noah wasn't his own brother anymore.

They reach the police station after breakfast. They were just in time when they saw Logan was walking with his dad, his head hung low. His dad was wearing a mask across his face.

"Uncle, where are you taking him?" Clive asks as he greets Harvey.

William and David get inside the police station to talk to them while the other members stay out, talking to Harvey.

"Taking him back to where he belongs," Harvey answers coldly.

"You mean home?" Dylan was the one who asked this.

"Canada. Where he actually belongs. I sensed it was a bad idea to leave him with you guys. He has gone all bonkers. Stealing for some money when his dad is a millionaire."

"Sir, please. This is all a very big misunderstanding. Logan did not steal anything." Dylan protests but David cuts him.

"He did."

They all turn back to him.

"The police found these papers which he stole from the safe. Even though they are just papers, they are still considered to be valuable." It was William who spoke this time.

(If you remember, when Noah broke the safe, there were certain papers there. Logan had taken them in the pretext to give them to Dylan or James. These are those papers.)

"But...." Dylan stutters but he had nothing to say. Noah looks at Dylan with 'I told you so' expression.

Is this all a coincidence or fate was really being a bitch?

"Now if you will excuse us, we have flights to catch," Harvey says, pushing trough them and dragging Logan with him.

"I...am sorry guys..." Logan replies meekly.

"You should be. You broke our trust." Noah says.

"I....I....." But Dylan doesn't have the energy to complete his sentence.

"Dylan...." I was Clive who whispered into his ears, "I know I shouldn't but I can't. I still can't believe Logan would do that. I don't know how or what is happening, but something is fishy."

Dylan just nods. That's the only thing he could do as he waved Logan goodbye. He looks at Noah waving at him too.

FLASHBACK

"Do we?" Harvey was suggesting something but Noah shook his head.

"No. I can handle him. But now the situation is a little out of hand. I was wondering if you could help me." Noah leans in forward to whisper something in his ear.

"I want you to take Logan away from here and back to Canada. I already found some stupid papers that Logan had taken from the safe and submitted them as evidence. You just need to take him far away so none of us could contact him. I will keep giving you a daily update or here." Noah says.

"Won't it become difficult for you to work alone?" Harvey says.

"I have always worked alone. And it isn't very difficult. Most of the research is done by Dylan himself and I just steal them at the right moments." Noah says smugly.

"Noah......I wish Logan could be more like you...." Harvey says with tears in his eyes.

"If he was like me, we couldn't have used him as a sacrifice. He did a good job." Noah praises Logan, "Please do give him my regards. And also a sorry for hitting him too hard."

FLASHBACK ENDS

Noah is happy that his plan was working well.

But fate really was a bitch.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro