32. Labyrinth

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"You are what? Clive's voice startles them and Dylan jumps a little.

"My God! Don't you know how to knock?" James asks, a bit breathless.

"And miss this? No way!" Clive grins from eye to eye indicating he has to know the tea between James and Dylan.

They both sigh and tell him everything. From their dreams to their significance, from Noah's truth to the pendant, everything.

"So you are saying Walter and Rufus were lovers?" Clive asks and they nod.

"And Noah lied to us about being at the bar and framed Logan?" They nod again.

"And somehow James's dad knew about all this and he warned James?"

"Look, I know how this sounds a bit unbelievable but trust us..." James starts to explain but Clive interrupts.

"And Noah reminded you about the fire?" Clive looks at Dylan who nods a 'yes'. "But you still remember everything?"

"What was I supposed to forget?" Dylan asks confused.

Clive takes a deep breath. He looks at James and then at Dylan and starts, "Okay so this might be a bit awkward but I have to ask. Do you remember our fire drill in high school?"

"What fire drill?" Dylan is still confused.

"I might know why Noah did that. We had a fire drill in high school Dylan. But that reminded you of your fire trauma and you fainted for at least 48 hours. When you woke up, you couldn't remember anything. Especially the day you fainted. The doctors said it might be your childhood trauma that erases anything related to it." Clive says and Dylan looks at him with wide eyes.

"Your brain might have processed that fire drill to be the replica of your trauma. So to save you from an emotional breakdown, it erased the memories. You kept saying you don't remember anything as to how you came to Deltora or who the half-burnt face man was. But Noah thought your brain still does that so he must have reminded you of it, so you forget everything that happened in the bar."

Clive pats on Dylan's back and continues, "I know it's hard to know this all of a sudden but this seems like the legit reason why Noah would remind you of those memories. He wouldn't want you to tell everyone about what you found and he can't possibly harm you."

Dylan gives a small nod, still trying to digest this new information. Clive turns to James and speaks to him,

"James, you said your dad knew Logan's father right?"

"Yes. They had a business contract. But they had a major fallout and Logan's dad moved to Canada. His name was...." James shut his eyes in realization, "HARVEY!"

"HARVEY?" Dylan screams.

"Yeah. What's so great about that name?" Clive asks as he was confused as to why these two were screaming Harvey's name.

"The person who saved Noah from the fire. The person who kept us with him for the week. The person with the half-burnt face......." Dylan murmurs, unable to process all of it at once.

"It was Logan's father? I mean there could be hundreds of Harveys out there. But......." Clive thinks for a second and continues, "But he keeps his face hidden....maybe....."

"It's not the time for a maybe. We have to be sure. My dad and Harvey were just going to start a business when they fought one day and everything went down the hill. But they never seemed like they were just business partners. They always looked like they were age-old friends. And I might just know how to find out. Dylan, can I use your laptop?"

Dylan nods at him and James opens the website of his dad's college in the USA. He opens up the alumni of his dad's year and shows them.

"See! I knew it! They were college buddies! Harvey Clarke, student of the science department." James exclaims and shows it to Dylan and Clive. But Dylan is still shocked.

"This is where my mom and dad studied!" Dylan looks at them with wide eyes. "But not this year. Maybe...." He takes the laptop from James and goes two years back, "Yes! They were seniors. My parents were Arthur and Harvey's seniors!"

They all look at each other with a dumbfounded expression.

Not only they are in this mess, apparently, their parents knew each other too.

James looks at the opened letter of his dad.

This really is a labyrinth!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro