42 - The Waitress

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I was too proud to walk out, and instead bit back the tears as I served drink after drink, and canapé after canapé to the 'qualified' Slug Club.

"Wow, Neve," Harry chuckled down at my outfit as he helped himself to my proffered tray of dragons testicles. "You've certainly got balls."

I had to fight the urge to slam the platter right into his smug face.

"Well, I for one think Neve looks very smart," Luna smiled serenely at me. "I was thinking of wearing something like that to go hunting for Crumple-Horned Snorkacks next summer."

I was about to ask Luna what Crumple-Horned Snorkacks were, when I heard an impatient loud clicking sound coming from the other side of the room.

"Longbottom!" Slughorn roared, his fat hand in the air as he gruffly snapped his fingers in my direction. "Hurry up with those testicles would you? Professor Snape here is dying to get his chops around one."

However, the thin smile on Snape's face when I hurried across the room, nervously tripping over my own feet, told me that eating dragons balls was the last thing he was dying for.

He stared disdainfully down his hooked nose at the tray in my hand which was trembling in nervousness at being in his presence. The balls jittered all over the place, rolling haphazardly towards the edge of the tray.

"Easy there, Longbottom," Slughorn chortled good naturedly, "we don't want any accidents now, do we?"

"Well, if it is an accident free zone you require," Snape drawled derisively, his beady black eyes glittering menacingly down at me, "then I think you will find a hippogriff would be a preferable option to serve canapés compared to this awkward, bumbling idiot."

"Now, now, be nice Severus," Slughorn chortled, his walrus-like eyes darting apprehensively between the two of us. "It is Christmas after all, and I do like to extend a generous invitation to those unfortunates who wanted the chance to attend tonight. After all, Longbottom's parents had once upon time achieved great things."

"Had being the operative word," Snape muttered cruelly as an evil smirk twitched at his lips.

My stomach gave a horrific lurch as my heart twisted unpleasantly. Tears swam in my eyes, blurring my vision.

I was just about to ditch the tray and run out crying, when the door burst open quite suddenly, causing everyone to look up in surprise.

I couldn't see who it was through my tears, but as I quickly wiped my eyes, I was shocked to see a familiar white-blond haired Slytherin being roughly dragged towards us by Filch.

"Get off me, you filthy squib!" Draco said angrily as he pulled himself free of Filch's grip, looking furious.

"I discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor, Professor Slughorn," Filch spat nastily, pushing Draco with surprising strength towards Slughorn. "He claims to have been invited to your party and to have been delayed in setting out. Did you issue him with an invitation?"

"He- he's not lying," I said timidly, causing everyone to look round at me in alarm, including Draco, who's eyes widened in horror as they roamed my newly acquired attire, settling upon the tray in my hands. "I invited him."

"Oh dear..." Slughorn chuckled, shaking his head pityingly at me, "I think there's been some sort of confusion. I didn't intend for the waitress to invite a guest."

"The waitress?!" Draco spat, his voice full of disgust as he glared angrily at Slughorn. "Neve is not your servant!"

"I think that illuminating outfit says otherwise," Snape drawled, causing a few cruel sniggers to erupt around the room.

Feeling utterly humiliated, and not to mention ground swallowing shame at Draco seeing me dressed like this after he had bought me that beautiful - and no doubt expensive - dress, I blindly placed down the tray onto the nearest surface - only to completely miss, causing it to clutter noisily to the floor, scattering dragons testicles everywhere.

The laughter in the room rose as I heard Snape muttering the words 'blithering baboon'. I tried to desperately ignore everyone as I crouched down to clean up the mess I had just created, weeping quietly.

"Leave it," Draco spoke firmly from above me as he bent down to pull me to my feet. "Come on Neve, you're worth more than these idiots."

He wrapped a protective arm around me as he glared back up at Slughorn.

"Next time you want a scivvy, hire a fucking house-elf!" Draco hissed before guiding me out of the party, throwing furious looks at anyone who dared even glance in my direction.

"My dress!" I cried as we reached the door, turning to go back and fetch it. But Draco stopped me, and instead gave his wand a silent flick, expertly causing the dress to come flying out from the little washroom at the back.

I gratefully caught it in my hand, before Draco finally led me out into the empty hallway, leaving the noise of the party behind.

"Those bastards!" Draco growled, "I never liked that Slughorn, the absolute pretentious prick! Neve, why didn't you throw that outfit in his face and leave as soon as you realised what he had invited you for?"

"I- I don't know," I sobbed, "I just wanted to be included... to feel like I was good enough to be a part of them."

"But that's ridiculous, Neve," he sighed exasperatedly, letting his arm drop from around me to cup my face in his hands, "you're the most amazing witch I've ever met, and if they don't see that, then screw them! It's those lot who are not good enough for you!"

"Do you really mean that?" I asked, my voice quivering as I sniffed back the tears.

His grey eyes softened as they gazed into mine, a look of what I could only call love emanating from them.

"Of course I do, Neve," he said tenderly, his voice full of warmth and sincerity. "No one can hold a candle to you."

He leant down to brush his lips over mine, and I closed my eyes blissfully as he kissed me tenderly at first, making me sigh longingly as his tongue began to dance fervently against mine, deepening the kiss by the second.

When he broke away, I felt breathless with desire.

"Come back to the room with me," Draco growled hoarsely, his eyes swirling hungrily down at me.

His meaning couldn't have been clearer.

My heart pounded furiously in my chest as I blinked up at him, the tip of my tongue darting furtively across my tingling lips - wanting more.

"Okay," I breathed, my own voice trembling in sudden longing.

Besides, I thought as Draco practically flew me up the corridor as though he'd spotted a Snitch, I couldn't wait to get out of this ridiculous outfit.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro