51 - The Curse

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My heart was in my throat as the door creaked opened.

Both Ron and Ginny had stood to attention, their wands aloft in their hands as they faced the appearing room with fierce determination.

But I just froze, my wand forgotten about in my pocket.

Draco emerged first, wearing a suit so smart and so sharp that I couldn't help but take a moment to appreciate how good it looked on him.

His eyes locked onto mine and for a second his hard, set features dropped. I saw in his expression the mixture of confusion and fear.

I immediately stepped towards him and went to open my mouth, to plead with him to get help, but as the terrifying crowd of Death Eaters appeared behind him, he lifted his hand and threw something in my face.

Everything went dark. I couldn't see a thing.

I cried out, panic constricting me and making me drop fearfully to my knees.

Arms went around me, lifting me back to my feet, the familiar scent of his expensive cologne calming me.

"Shhh," he whispered ever so quietly in my ear as I trembled uncontrollably at the sound of other footsteps rushing around us.

His arms tightened, offering me brief comfort, holding me to him.

And then without another word, he let go of me and was gone.

When the darkness lifted, it was just me, Ron and Ginny looking aghast at one another in the empty corridor.

"LET'S GO!" Ron bellowed, immediately sprinting up the corridor.

I didn't know what to do. I watched helplessly as Ron and Ginny pelted up the corridor after Draco and the Death Eaters.

I just wanted to sink back down to my knees and sob, but when I heard the bangs and screams, I knew I couldn't ignore it any longer. Our school was in danger and I was part of Dumbledore's Army.

Draco or not - I needed to help protect our friends.

And so, withdrawing my wand, I ran towards the sounds of the battle.

Draco could not stop the shaking of his arm as he aimed his wand at his headteacher's frail face.

"Go on then Draco, you must do what you must do," Dumbledore said calmly.

But of course he couldn't. Because all he could see was Neve's face.

And Draco knew the truth; he was not a killer. He never would be.

Not even in the face of his own death.

"Let me help you, Draco," Dumbledore spoke as Draco's arm shook ever more. He couldn't help but wince at the sound of the bangs and shouts going on down below; he was so frightened for Neve, it was unbearable.

"I'm not the one that needs help, old man!" Draco spluttered, cringing at the childishness of his words.

"Draco, forgive me," Dumbledore said, sighing slightly, "but it seems to me that your heart isn't in this."

"Shut the fuck up!" Draco bellowed, desperately trying to hold back the tears.

He was going to break down - he felt it. He knew at this point he was never going to be able to kill Dumbledore; because even if he said the words, he wouldn't mean them enough to cause harm.

But then, out of nowhere he was joined by his aunt and the other Death Eaters. And shortly after them, there was Snape.

When Snape cast the Unforgivable Curse and Draco watched as Dumbledore's body flung over the ramparts like a rag doll, he knew his life would never be the same again.

And in that moment, he hated his father more than he hated Voldemort.

I ducked and I dived, red and green jets of light flying around me. My heart was in my chest as Bill threw me aside to protect me from the attack of Greyback.

"Stupefy!" I yelled, managing to blast the hairy beast off of Bill's bloodied body.

Making sure Bill was alright, I ran further down the corridor where Luna was surrounded by two hooded Death Eaters.

"Stupefy!" I yelled again, blasting one of them away.

Unfortunately, the second Death Eater, a giant blond guy, acted quickly and flicked his wand in my direction. I felt a hot searing pain across my stomach literally winding me as I struggled to take a breath.

"Neve!" Luna cried, as I collapsed helplessly to the floor.

"Run!" I mumbled through a mouthful of blood that had suddenly appeared in my mouth.

Luna chased the Death Eater who had cursed me, screaming hex after hex after his retreating back as I tried to crawl up the corridor.

But I was weak and in too much pain. Blood was everywhere - flowing out of my stomach and constantly filling my mouth. I felt the consciousness leave my body; the last thing I recall seeing is Draco's pale white face and his fearful voice shouting my name as Snape dragged him away.

And then the world tipped and left me.

When I awoke again, I found myself in unknown room, whiteness all around me.

Gran was sat sobbing by the bed I was laid up in, and the tears down her frail face frightened me more than the unspeakable pain across my stomach.

"Gran?" I rasped, flinching at the extra pain just talking caused.

She brought her hankie down from her face as she blinked down at me. "Oh my Neve!" she cried. "You're awake at last!"

"What- what happened?" I asked, frowning as I struggled to recall a memory that may give me a clue as to why I was lying here - any memory.

"You were struck by a Death Eater," Gran whispered, her voice wobbling between terror and admiration. "They had to bring you here to St Mungo's."

And then it all came flooding back to me. Hogwarts, Dumbledore... Draco.

"Draco!" I gasped, my heart racing in fear. "Gran is he okay? Please tell me he's okay!"

She blinked down at me looking confused. "Draco? Do you mean the Malfoy boy?"

I didn't miss the flicker of disgust on her face when she said his name.

I nodded quickly, desperate for answers.

"He's gone Neve, took flight with Severus Snape - and that's probably for the best, considering what happened."

"What happened?!" I cried, desperate to know. I felt a sadness surround me as though I had endured some kind of tragedy.

But I didn't know what.

"Oh my Neve," Gran began, fresh tears filling her eyes, "I don't want to upset-"

"WHAT HAPPENED?!" I bellowed, finding myself wincing in pain. My stomach hurt so much, it was unbearable.

"They- they killed Professor Dumbledore," she said, barely above a whisper.

No.

I tried to sit up but found the wound across my stomach prevented me from doing so.

"Who?" I gasped as Gran hurriedly ushered me back down. "Who killed him, exactly?"

"It was Prof-" she stopped herself as she took a deep breath. "Snape. It was Snape."

Relief and horror rushed over me in one fluid wave. Draco hadn't done it. His soul was saved. I felt so relieved I was sure I was going to cry.

But if he didn't do it, then why had he run away? And why did I feel there was more to this great sadness that I felt - something far more grave to me than Dumbledore's death.

"The Malfoy boy still let the Death Eaters in," Gran said fiercely, reading my thoughts. "He's the reason why Hogwarts hospital wing is full tonight. He's the reason why..." she tailed off as her voice cracked, her eyes glassing over again as she glanced down at my stomach.

"What?!" I cried. I sensed there was something she wasn't telling me and it was terrifying.

"Oh Neve, maybe I should wait for a Healer-"

"Tell me!" I said panicking. "Tell me now!"

Gran swallowed, seemingly considering her answer.

"The curse the Death Eater made across your stomach..." she paused, looking down at her hands which I noticed were wringing together. I'd never seen her look so nervous and it frightened me. "It's caused irreparable damage. I'm so sorry, Neve..."

Horror filled me as I already guessed what she was going to say. It was as though a part of me had already known from the moment I had opened my eyes.

And I barely listened as she said the next words, not wanting to believe they were true.

"Neve, they had to remove your womb. I'm afraid you'll never be able to have children."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro