64 - On Your Head Be It

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Harry Potter is dead."

Draco felt his insides turn to liquid at these words.

The whole Great Hall filled with horrified screams and wails, and Draco clung Neve tightly to him, holding her fiercely close, terrified that it may be the last ever time.

"I shouldn't have let him go," she sobbed, burying her face in his neck. "I knew he was going to hand himself in and I just watched him walk away."

"What?!" Draco said sharply, "you saw Potter?!"

She looked up at him, and his heart clenched at the misery and grief in her eyes. She had been through so much and he didn't know how she would ever be able to come back from this. He just wanted to take away her pain and protect her.

"He- he asked me to kill the snake," she stammered. "He said if anything happened to him, I'd need to kill Nagini."

Draco felt a sudden fierce anger rip through his stomach. How fucking dare Potter put something like that on her. And he knew Neve, he knew she wouldn't want to let him down, because that was the kind of beautiful, caring, strong person she was.

"Neve, listen to me," he said fiercely, cupping her bloodied and bruised face in his hands. "You don't have to do anything like that. You need to put yourself first. It's the only way you're going to survive. Think of Trevor."

She nodded, tears rolling down her cheeks which he gently kissed away, trying not to hurt her further. He couldn't help but feel complete and utter relief that she was a pure-blood. If she complied then she would be fine; Voldemort would not want to kill her.

Taking her hand, he led her along with the crowds leaving the castle, his heart in his throat as he kept her firmly to his side.

He was going to look after her, he decided. He would bring her back to the Manor and protect her there. Hopefully they'll be reunited with Trevor too. And her gran, maybe even she could come too if Neve wanted. Surely she would bow down to Voldemort if it meant keeping her granddaughter safe?

They walked out onto the steps at the castle's entrance, standing with the rest of the survivors as they watched Voldemort lead the Death Eaters towards them.

Draco felt Neve shiver next to him as Harry came into view, his lifeless body being carried by that great oaf, Hagrid. Draco squeezed his fingers around hers, letting her know that he was there for her; that he would always be there.

"Come on," he said, trying to pull her towards the sea of Death Eaters once he spotted his parents. "We'll be safe, I promise you."

But Neve didn't move.

"No." She said, dropping her hand away from his as she firmly stood her ground.

"Please, Neve," he begged, panic beginning to overwhelm him. "Come with me, please. I don't want to leave you, I love you!"

"Then don't go to them," she said, a fierceness in her eyes replacing the fear and vulnerability he had seen in them earlier. "Draco, I love you, I do, but I fight for Harry, and so should you."

"He's fucking dead!" Draco spluttered, not being able to believe what was happening.

"Draco!"

Shit, it was his father. Draco looked desperately at Neve, pleading her with his eyes. But her stance remained firm and it was clear she was never going to yield.

"Draco, come here!"

His father's voice was louder now and everyone started looking around at them.

And then his mother joined in, and Draco knew he couldn't possibly not go to them.

So, with a breaking heart, he turned his back on Neve and made the terrifying journey across no man's land towards his mother.

"Well done, Draco, well done." Voldemort said, patting his back as Draco tried his damnedest not to flinch.

His mother welcomed him into his arms with pure relief. He was too ashamed to look back to where Neve stood; too ashamed of himself for his complete and utter cowardliness.

"Who will be next? Hmm?" Voldemort shouted to the rest of the survivors. "Come now, don't be shy. Who will willingly join me?"

And at these words, a figure broke free of the crowd, charging like an angry bull towards Voldemort. Draco realised with absolute horror that it was Neve, and a silent scream stuck in his throat as he watched Voldemort flick his wand, sending her flying in the air and landing back on the ground, Disarmed, with a sickening thud.

"And who is this?" Voldemort said, in his soft snake's hiss as he tossed her wand to the side. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Draco couldn't breathe, he wanted to run back into no man's land and scoop Neve into his arms, protecting her with his life. But yet again, fear and cowardliness rooted him to the spot.

"It is Neve Longbottom, my Lord!" Bellatrix cackled delightedly. "The girl who has been giving the Carrow's so much trouble! The daughter of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," Voldemort said, looking down at Neve, who was struggling back to her feet, unarmed and unprotected. "But you are a pure-blood, aren't you, my brave girl?"

Neve, now on her feet, looked up defiantly into Voldemort's eyes, her empty hands curled in fists.

"So what if I am?" she said loudly.

Draco couldn't look away, his heart was thudding furiously in his chest and he felt sure it was going to burst out. He couldn't believe what she was doing; he couldn't believe that she showed not a flicker of fear in the face of such evil.

"You show spirit, and bravery, and you come of noble stock." Voldemort said, and Draco felt himself breathe out a tiny sigh of relief upon realising that she could still be spared. "You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neve Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," Neve roared, pumping her fist in the air. "DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY!"

Draco closed his eyes in despair as an answering cheer rose up from the survivors, their spirit too strong to be silenced by Voldemort's spells.

"Very well," Voldemort said, and Draco heard more danger in the silkiness of his voice than in the most powerful curse. "If that is your choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. On your head," he said quietly, "be it."

The next thing Draco knew, something had landed on Neve's head, slipping down below her eyes. It was the Sorting Hat. Before she could rip it off, Voldemort flicked his wand again, causing her to grow rigid and still.

"Neve here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me," Voldemort said, and with a flick of his wand, he caused the Sorting Hat to burst into flames.

"NEVE!" Draco bellowed; his roar louder than the screams that split the dawn as Neve stood aflame, rooted to the spot, unable to move.

He couldn't not act. And neither, it seemed to Draco's notice, could Potter.

He was alive.

Without thinking, Draco threw himself forwards into the now screaming chaos that had erupted around him. He yelled Potter's name as he tossed him his wand, before leaping across towards Neve, his heart in his throat as he stumbled and tripped; desperate to get to her before it was too late.

Yet somehow, Neve had managed to break free of the Body-Bind Curse, and pulled the flaming Hat from her unharmed head; drawing from it a glittering silver sword.

And Draco watched with complete awestruck wonderment as her fearless, determined face looked up towards the giant snake that was about to bear down on her and, like a true warrior, she sliced off the great snake's head in one single stroke.

In that moment she had never looked more beautiful and Draco had never loved her more.

"NEVE!" he cried again as he closed the gap between them, slamming his body against her as he threw his arms around her, kissing her hair and kissing her face. "My brave, beautiful Neve."

The riot continued around them as curses were being fired everywhere; yet somehow, Draco and Neve were untouched, and it took a moment to realise that someone had cast a Shield Charm around them.

Potter.

"It won't hold for much longer," Draco said urgently, panic hitting him as he realised their new predicament, "and we're both unarmed."

"I'm not," she said, her eyes glinting up at him as she proudly held up the now bloodied sword. "Stay close to me, we'll find cover."

He nodded, knowing he was safe as long as she was by his side. And he realised, that from now on, he would follow her to the ends of the earth if she let him.

Grabbing hold of his hand tightly in hers, she stood on tip toes and kissed his cheek. "You did good, Draco, my prince." she whispered in his ear. "I always knew you would."

Her eyes twinkled up at him and despite the battle going on around them, Draco felt his heart flutter with such fierce love.

He would never regret falling for this beautiful Gryffindor. His frog princess.

It was his very last thought before the air exploded.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro