27. the most favorite

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Too much had changed since the night Geneva dared to venture out of the Withers House. Since that Sunday morning she told Damon Priest her secrets and fears. It seemed only yesterday when she started to think of possibilities, of forgiving herself, her parents, and her aunts. For being free of guilt for the little pleasures. Of wanting adventure and excitement despite the sadness and pain.

Two years and yet it still felt so fresh. The feelings. The memories.

But so much had also happened since then. Ever since the Christmas dinner she shared with her family, things had fallen into place for her. Not without challenges, of course.

When she told her aunts that she wanted to go with Matthew to Coulway to try acting, they were horrified. Scandalized.

"I'll visit you often," she promised them.

"No, you will not. You'll get married. You'll get pregnant. Build your own family with the Stratfords."

"But I'm not quite ready to be married. I am yet to live my full life," she enthusiastically told them.

Her Aunt Prudence merely shook her head. "She's too much like Adeline," she said to Barbara.

That conversation was still as fresh as all the others in her head. Even now as she absently stared at the paper in front of her, she smiled, imagining her aunts' reaction to her latest letter. They might burn it or feed it to the birds, she didn't care. She wrote about her exciting week and she wanted to share it.

People passed around her in a blur as she immersed herself in what she was reading. She was aware of people rushing by with packages, of chatters that became muffled as the story on the page filled her senses. She was also quite aware that there were gentlemen from across the bazaar who had been studying her with interest for some time now. Yet she didn't care. Her mind was elsewhere, transported in a different place and time.

But when the gentlemen started talking loudly, she started to lose focus. It was obvious they were trying to get her attention. She would not have assumed it if she was uncertain, but for days now, they had tried to talk to her. She could have avoided going to the bazaar, but then she was not quite willing to give up her favorite place because of them.

When she felt a shadow fall upon her, she gritted her teeth. But when the owner of the shadow spoke, her head snapped up and her eyes widened.

"Are you aware that you have admirers three tables away?" he asked, his brown eyes smiling and glinting down at her. His curly brown hair was a mess from the wind outside.

"What are you doing here?" she asked in wonder, jumping to her feet, throwing her papers on the table.

"I came to see you, of course—Geneva, people can see us," he said when she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Well, I don't care!" she cried out, burying her face in his neck. "I missed you."

His arm went around her, his chest vibrating with laughter. "I missed you, too."

"Now, tell me why you're here," she said, pulling away from him, ignoring the curious stares.

"I missed you," he said, taking the seat across from hers. Damon looked around. "Where's Matthew?"

"Probably still with his physics teacher," she said, resting her chin on her palm, smiling at him with wonder. "I can't believe you're here."

"Stop staring," he said, leaning back with a chuckle.

"I can't help it. It's been months."

He rolled his eyes. "I shouldn't have tried so hard to make you fall in love with me. You're such a hopeless case."

"Not hopeless enough to forget my lines tomorrow," she said, reaching for his hand. He took it and she smiled when he gave it a squeeze. "You'll be in the audience, yes?"

"Right at the very front. But not the center."

"What do you mean?"

"I heard your character stay mainly on the right of the stage."

She felt her face flush. She had long assumed that the feeling would never go away. Damon Priest would always make her blush. "What do you wish to do tonight?"

"If we're in Abberton, we'd go to Windsong. Or walk down Stratford Road. But since we're in Coulway, what do you want to do?"

She shrugged. "You tell me."

"Catch stars?" he asked, grinning at her.

Her shoulders shook with laugher. "But you've already caught me, Mr. Priest."

His laughter rang around the bazaar. "I see you've gotten very good at throwing lines, Miss Geneva." He stood, taking her hand. "Come. Let's go for a stroll."

"We should buy something for supper," she said as they walked past her three gentlemen admirers. "We hardly nothing to cook in the apartment."

"You need to work harder, darling," he said.

"I hardly have anything to pay Gwen, but she's staying because we're in Coulway and she needs a place to stay while she finds Mr. Stiles."

"Has she any leads on where he might be?"

"Nothing concrete, but she's certain she will find him soon." They crossed the bridge and walked to the market. She bought flour and meat, and everything else she needed for tonight's pie. She could not rely on Matthew to do the shopping because her brother was too immersed in his studies. "Sometimes he forgets to eat," she complained to Damon. "Gwen and I found him three days ago in his bedroom, lying over his notes, too weak to even speak. We thought he was dead! We had to force food down his throat."

He smiled, patting her hand wrapped around his arm. "It was a good decision you came with him."

"I did not do so entirely for him."

"Of course, you didn't. You're here to become a star." He kissed the top of her head. "You're already shining."

They walked down Picadilly Street talking about things they missed from each other's letters. He filled her in with news about the devils and their play.

"I know," she said with a laugh. "They send more letters than you asking if I could be home in time for their Christmas play."

"They're selling tickets now. Price's idea."

"They promised to give me two free passes for my aunts if I say yes to their proposal."

"And what role did they offer?"

"A killer."

He stopped dead in his tracks. "You cannot be utterly serious."

"I'm not jesting. They're writing a crime story."

"No. Of course, they are. That's hardly a surprise. You can't be a murderer."

"Oh. Well, I quite like the role. It's something I've always wanted to try."

"Murder?"

"No!"

He laughed and stole a kiss. "I will see you for dinner?" he asked as they walked up to the steps to the door.

She nodded, opening the door. "Yes."

He looked up at the apartment Daniel owned. "I can't believe you took his offer, but not ours."

"My aunts cannot be indebted to the Stratfords," she said, pushing the door. "But they cannot say no to a duke."

He chuckled and jogged down the steps to run next door.

Geneva called for Gwen, who popped out of the kitchen with brows raised high. "Did you buy meat?"

"Yes."

"You're smiling too much," Gwen said, frowning. "And your face is flushed. He's in Coulway, isn't he?"

She nodded, turning around to rush to the stairs.

"You should just marry the man, Miss!" Gwen shouted after her.

When she burst into the duke's old bedroom, she laughed to find Damon already standing in front of his sister's old window. "Hello," she said, walking nearer.

"I've figured what we should do after dinner," he said, sitting down Simone's old chair.

"What?"

"Let's get married."

Geneva laughed. "Mayhap in a year."

His brows cocked high. "You cannot take that back."

"I said mayhap."

"Stop teasing, Geneva."

"Why? I love teasing you. It's one of my favorite things." She then drew the curtain closed, saying, "Hurry and come here for dinner."

Not an hour later, Damon was in their apartment for dinner. Halfway through, Matthew arrived, dragging his feet down the corridor to the dining room. Geneva met Damon's surprised look and rolled her eyes. "I told you, have I not? He works too hard."

"No, I don't," her brother said, taking the seat next to her. "I simply have no energy for unimportant things."

Smiling wryly at Damon, she said, "Have I told you he also thinks he's really smart now?"

"Too smart to agree and irk my sister," Matthew said, smiling as he reached for a fresh slice of bread. "When did you get here, Mr Priest?"

"Just in time to save my fiancée from other men."

"Fiancée now, is it?" Matthew asked, turning to Geneva.

"The title holds until next year, I'm afraid," Damon said with a sigh.

"I wager it won't be long, Mr Priest. Just you wait and see."

"How do you say so?" he asked with interest, ignoring Geneva's scowl.

"All her friends in the theatre are married. Most have kids as well. And you should see the look on her face whenever they talk about their wives or husbands or when their kids come to visit." Matthew pointed the last piece of his bread at his sister. "She'll be begging you to marry her before the year is over."

"I'll only do so to get away from him," Geneva pointed at Matthew. "Mother should have told me I'd be taking care of a big child in Coulway."

Matthew wryly laughed. "You shall not have the same opinion once I become an inventor."

Geneva shared an amused smile with Damon. "If you say so," she said with a shrug.

"You are going to be late, Miss!" Damon heard Gwen say as he waited in the parlor the next morning. He stood when he heard hurried footsteps and smiled when the maid jumped the two remaining steps carrying two satchels. "She's always late! Always!" she said to Damon as she rushed past him and out the front door.

"She's always in a hurry," Geneva said with a giggle, landing at the bottom of the stairs with grace.

"You look beautiful," he said, offering his hand.

She took it with her undying smile. "It's because I'll be playing a man's new bride."

Damon stopped, eyes wide. "You got the role?"

"I did!" she said, jumping with excitement. "Just yesterday!"

"Miss!" Gwen shouted from outside. "You'll be playing a very late bride if you keep dallying!"

Damon and Geneva rushed out to the carriage. When they reached the theatre, Gwen jumped out, saying, "I'll put your things in the back."

Damon climbed out of the carriage, but instead of hurrying, Geneva held him back. "We have time."

"But you need to be ready."

"I'm ready," she said, hooking her arm around his.

He looked up at the theatre and the line of guests outside. A few saw Geneva. "You're my new favorite, Miss!" a man shouted, followed by more.

Geneva waved at them and led Damon to the back entrance.

"You're their favorite now, are you?" he teased.

"It's the role, not me," she said.

"It's you. You're carrying the role."

As crew and staff of the theatre rushed around them, Damon smiled. "What else are your new favorites?"

"What?"

"Last night you said teasing me is your new favorite thing. What else?"

She looked up. "The theatre."

He stared down at her glowing face and smiled. "What else?"

"Acting." When he said nothing and simply waited, her face flushed and she looked away. "Walking with you around Coulway." Damon chuckled and kissed the top of her head. Her arm tightened around his. "Like so."

"I can sense. What else?"

"'Mornin' Miss Neve!" a crew greeted, tapping his hat as he passed.

"Good morning, Mr Sprouse," she greeted back. Looking up at Damon, she wiggled her eyebrows. "My stage name's another favorite."

"Beautiful name. Thank the man who suggested it."

She kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"The stage," she said, continuing her list of favorite things. "Windsong. The well. Our tree—"

"Our?" he interrupted.

"Our," she said matter-of-factly. "What else? I have quite a few."

"Me?"

"Do you consider someone you love your favorite?"

He laughed. "You most certainly should."

"Well, then, I think I can squeeze you in." She unhooked her arm when Gwen reappeared, looking flustered. "I must go. Sit by the far right."

"I will," he said, catching her hand before she turned. The expectant smile on her lips felt both surreal and exquisite when he kissed her. "I love you."

She playfully narrowed her eyes at him. "But I'm still your favorite, yes?"

"For as long as you allow it."

"You both are hopeless," Gwen groaned, pulling him away.

The maid led me into the theatre before any of the guests were allowed entrance and pointed to the right side. "She said sit at the very front."

He took a seat and waited until the theatre was full. And as the lights went out, and the stage lit up, everything else was nonexistent as his most favorite glided across the stage with the confidence she harnessed by herself and he could not be any more proud.

He was the first to stand and clap when the curtains fell. And he was there when she searched for him in the crowd after.

"I change my mind. I think you'll make a terrific murderer for the Christmas play," he said later that night as they strolled down Picadilly Street. "Yes. You just killed the entire population of men in the theatre earlier."

She laughed. "You exaggerate."

"Did you not hear their howls of agony when the curtains closed?" He hooked her hand in his arm. "But I'm afraid I was the last man standing."

"You would have to be."

"Until next year, I'm afraid."

"Are we talking about our wedding?"

"We are, darling."

She let out a dramatic sigh. "I will have to talk to my parents."

"I can sense their approval from here."

"My brothers—"

"I should have you know that I already celebrated with your brothers."

"My aunts?"

He paused while she chuckled. Then he shrugged. "I have a year to work on that."

Her laughter rang down the street, and he wrapped his arm around her. "Quiet. You're being too loud."

"I don't care. I'm quite happy!" She looked around, ignoring the curious glances thrown their way.

"I'm glad you are." Damon smiled. She was no longer confined in one place or future. She had nothing but the freedom of a woman who knew her many possibilities.

"I'm glad we are," she corrected.

He looked up at the night sky. He wasn't certain if it was possible, but if his parents were somewhere watching, he knew they agreed with her. If anyone could understand the immense joy he felt, it would be them because no mortal word could ever express such a profound thing.

"I think she's watching," Geneva said, also looking up. "Aunt Deborah. And I think she's happy for me." Her eyes were filled with tears when they met his. "I did what she said. I went across the hill."

He smiled down at her. "You bravely did."

"I'm brave, am I not?"

"You're everything."

"I will never get used to your adulations," she said with a shiver. "Never."

He laughed and caught her hand when she tried to escape. "Then I'll just keep it among your other secrets."

Geneva squeezed his hand. "I'm glad I told you my secrets, Damon Priest."

He smiled down at her with a gentle smile. "And I'm glad I get to keep them."

-the end-

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro